PDA

View Full Version : Hex seems mostly troop-based?

Slish
06-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Disclaimer: Im fairly newb TCG-player but have a bit experience. So I might say some terms wrong.

I guess this question might have been asked before but..

Is it true that Hex is mostly troop-based?
I haven't seen anything like that would translate into a pure control-deck for example?
(counterspells.. stuff like that, blueish stuff).

Or a blast-deck? (Im not sure if Im calling it right, I mean lots of dmg spells)

And what about graveyard-deck? The deck that makes the opponent discards alot and make him/her lose by having no more cards to draw?

I haven't been following this game that long yet, so Im sorry if I missed something?

Massabik
06-02-2013, 08:15 AM
They have stated that it will be possible to have a competitive deck with no troops...pretty sure they said competitive

Kroan
06-02-2013, 08:16 AM
We haven't seen nearly enough to make any statements, but for control you have for example "Extinction" and for burn you basically have "Ragefire". Expect to see more when spoilers come down the line :)

Facilier
06-02-2013, 08:18 AM
You already have powerful direct damage spells like Ragefire (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130516102109/hextcg/images/e/ed/Ragefire.png) or Life Syphon (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130518000025/hextcg/images/9/9b/Life_Siphon.png).

So it is likely some creature-light decks will be possible.

Slish
06-02-2013, 08:19 AM
We haven't seen nearly enough to make any statements, but for control you have for example "Extinction" and for burn you basically have "Ragefire". Expect to see more when spoilers come down the line :)

Aaah ok, I looked those 2 cards up, and haven't noticed them before. So I guess I can keep hope that some burn or control decks would be possible? It just isn't known yet it seems. I thought I might have missed stuff.. :P

Indormi
06-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Most of the cards they have shown are troops, because they are featuring the races that are in the game, that doesnt mean that there are not other spells card

Avaian
06-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Not really enough actions yet to really know.

I am liking the idea of Peek, Sabotage, Dream Dance and Chronic Madness together in a deck.

shanDz
06-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Really hope they bring counter spells and cool new ways for deck control. Used to love my blue white control deck in MTG.

katkillad
06-02-2013, 08:33 AM
We haven't even seen all the cards yet...

Zomnivore
06-02-2013, 08:34 AM
I think we've seen some pretty limited decks so far :P I bet there's a deck out there for you.

Mavian
06-02-2013, 08:36 AM
It's the general ebb and flow of this style of TCG. Troops are easier to balance and the majority of cards will be troops. They hit the field and make board presence. Spells often require conditions or focus on alternate win conditions. Direct damage are generally costlier and take longer to get going, else everyone would be DD if you could turn one 3 damage a champion, etc, etc.

So there might be few competitive burn decks, but in general for these types of TCGs, you'll still have generally 6-10 creatures/troops to round out the deck that support spell casting, along with items (artifacts) and some constants.

Rapkannibale
06-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Personally I think a game based around troops is more fun than if the dominant strategy relied mostly on spells. Of course it should be possible to have decks with very few (or even no) troops, but those usually lead to games where there isn't a lot of real interaction between the players. The control deck is then usually just like: draw - pass the turn.

Having to rely on troops at least to some extend means that even control decks need to have some interaction during the combat phase.

I listed to one of Mark Rosewater's podcasts and he mentioned that they actually had the problem earlier on in Magic that spells were so much more powerful than creatures, that creatures basically didn't matter. Now they are at a place where creatures matter a lot, while still having spells that are powerful and useful.

So I don't mind if troops are an important part of deck building. :)

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Peek seems pretty weak to me in anything but a mono-sapphire deck.

Punk
06-02-2013, 08:53 AM
We haven't even seen all the cards yet...

I am not entirely sure, but last time I looked into it, we haven't even seen 15% of the cards that will be available at launch.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
My blue/white control deck got banned by my friends in high school. We usually played during lunch, and if I played that deck a game would usually take 1-1 1/2 hrs.... I loved that deck. Then there was my all-blue counterspell deck. I believe I had upwards of 20 cards that were counterspells.

Anyway, they SAID there'd be enough actions do do a troopless or a troop-light deck, but you gotta remember: it's only the first set. If you take just the Revised edition of MtG for example, there are only 3 cards that countered spells: Counterspell, Power Sink, and Spell Blast. That means at max you could have 12 counterspells in a counterspell deck.

Compare that to 4th Ed + the Ice Age block, for example, and you get to add Force Void, Deflection (technically not a counterspell, but similar use), Rune Snag, Counterbalance, Controvert, Force of Will, and Arcane Denial. You could have 40 cards in your deck that let you counter (or redirect) spells under different conditions.

So while it may be hard to make a creatureless deck at the start, that's unsurprising until there's more card variety.

Slish
06-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Personally I think a game based around troops is more fun than if the dominant strategy relied mostly on spells.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you!
Still, it is fun to build a totally different deck sometimes that is much less relying on troops. The option should be there at least.. That's my point basically.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Personally, I find creatureless decks involve MORE strategy and interaction usually. Control decks can be pretty boring to play (like I said, 1-1 1/2 hour games with mine), but if you're having to figure out how to deal with the opponent's creatures without having creatures yourself, you have to do some pretty creative stuff.

SenecaTheYounger
06-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Also, keep in mind that aggro is dominant early in any meta. It takes a while to develop control and midrange decks. I'm hoping there will be decent tools for combo relatively early.

Shivdaddy
06-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I am hoping because this is the first set, they are trying to be a little more "basic" for this set. Just like MTG does with 10th 11th 12th editions, the core sets. Ignore the people saying creature only deck add more strategy. Ask any good player and spells is where critical thinking comes in.

Avaian
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Peek seems pretty weak to me in anything but a mono-sapphire deck.

Early in a game Peek does lose value in a dual gem deck, and the more gem types you have the less value it has. But having a 1 cost card that looks at the top 2-3 on turn 4-5 can really help out.

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Disclaimer: Im fairly newb TCG-player but have a bit experience. So I might say some terms wrong.

I guess this question might have been asked before but..

Is it true that Hex is mostly troop-based?
I haven't seen anything like that would translate into a pure control-deck for example?
(counterspells.. stuff like that, blueish stuff).

Or a blast-deck? (Im not sure if Im calling it right, I mean lots of dmg spells)

And what about graveyard-deck? The deck that makes the opponent discards alot and make him/her lose by having no more cards to draw?

I haven't been following this game that long yet, so Im sorry if I missed something?

If any TCG can truly achieve various deck types, I believe its HEX (obviously other than Magic). The reason behind it lies on the foundation of the its mechanics.

Counter based control deck what I call Control Archetype Permission deck is only possible if you have instant like mechanics, which HEX does.

Aggro Archetype Burn Decktype (what you called blast deck) is possible when there are cards that can directly target opponent champion, which Hex does. Adding to it, esclation mechanics in a card like Rage Fire make this interesting choice.

Aggroarchetype Archetype Recursion Decktype (graveyard) is possible when there are cards that interact with graveyard, which HEX does. The card like http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/a7yX0MB.jpg (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=122) is not conventional graveyard card revival but definitely add interesting spin to it. And of course conventional revival of card from the graveyard is possible on HEX as well.

So I think HEX will cover pretty much any deck type you can think of with Magic. As far as them being competitive, it may take some additional sets as 350 cards may not cover all equally.

If you want to know terminology of deck types: http://houshasen.wordpress.com/2012/05/20/archetype-deck-types-version-beta/
I prepared above after some online research of multiple sites from multiple TCGs, and came up with above (which made the most sense for me).

jaxsonbateman
06-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Because it's like Magic, it's easy to see - yes, most decks are going to rely on some, if not mostly creatures. But no, that doesn't mean other types of decks won't exist. Burn decks are certainly possible, and it's possible that a creatureless control deck could exist in one way or another. There'll probably be legitimate combo decks, and if they go with the "if you can't draw you lose" rule, then mill will have potential.

Slish
06-02-2013, 10:56 AM
If you want to know terminology of deck types: http://houshasen.wordpress.com/2012/05/20/archetype-deck-types-version-beta/
I prepared above after some online research of multiple sites from multiple TCGs, and came up with above (which made the most sense for me).

Mugensou thanks for your expansive answer. Your link to the deck terminology helped explain some stuff for me :)

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Mugensou thanks for your expansive answer. Your link to the deck terminology helped explain some stuff for me :)

Glad I was able to help someone. :) 99% of my posts and blog articles are self talk.... but 1% of time, I'm hoping to help someone.

Rapkannibale
06-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you!
Still, it is fun to build a totally different deck sometimes that is much less relying on troops. The option should be there at least.. That's my point basically.

Oh I totally agree with you. There should definitely be options for people who want to build a deck without troops. Even competitive decks. All I was saying is that it is not necessarily a bad thing that troops are important. :)