PDA

View Full Version : Building the ideal HEX fansite… you must help!

WSzaboPeter
06-02-2013, 12:57 PM
http://hextcg.net/ is currently a blank sheet (with our logo and artwork, all copyrighted to us, not CZE, to make sure we will have no legal trouble).
We want to create the best HEX TCG fansite (we would be willing to even join forces with other fansites if they want to). For this we need your help.

So tell us, what you would like to see in this fansite, and if you can/want help you are most welcome to jump in.

This is not an advertising, since the site is basically empty, waiting for your input on the direction and contents.

Madican
06-02-2013, 01:00 PM
First off, change your website name. You are blatantly copying the same one Hex already uses, just with a .net suffix instead.

Genocidal
06-02-2013, 01:04 PM
First off, change your website name. You are blatantly copying the same one Hex already uses, just with a .net suffix instead.

Exactly what I was going to say. Cryptozoic may be "fans first" but there has to be a line somewhere...

As for content; there have been a few threads about this already. Tournament/draft analysis, theorycrafting articles, card spotlights, things of that nature. Take a look at popular MtG fansites and see what sort of content they provide.

Rapkannibale
06-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Agree on the website name. Surprised CZE didn't have it already.

successfulgeek
06-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah CZE lawyers will be forced to send you a C&D to protect their trademark. Don't put Hex in your domain name.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Well, you could put Hex in the name, but definitely want to include something like "Fansite" in the URL and name if you're gonna go with that... I would guess that even if CZE is genteel about not C&Ding it, they aren't going to be too pleased if people accidentally find a fansite instead of their homepage.

Banquetto
06-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Agree with the other two guys. I'm surprised that CZE didn't register .net and .org as well as hextcg.com, but there's a non-zero chance that you're going to cause problems for yourself if you use it.

Punk
06-02-2013, 02:57 PM

The .net is a TLD (Top-level domain), not a suffix. It isn't an affix at the end of a word.

I agree with everyone else here, I would have some very distinctive way of distinguishing your site from the hextcg.com site. If I was trying to go to example.com and I went to example.net which had totally different information, I would close that window immediately in fear of some type of phishing scam.

Stok3d
06-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Just sell CZE the domain and be done with it.

wallofomens
06-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes, I too agree with everyone else, etc, etc.

A great name for a website like this is a staple card of some sorts - like channelfireball, mana leak, etc(but from HEX, ofcourse).
I would go for something like that.

WSzaboPeter
06-03-2013, 12:19 AM
The domain name is a temporary one, until a better name is found.

Just sell CZE the domain and be done with it.
I would give them if they would ask. But so far they seem to be not interested in it.

Agree with the other two guys. I'm surprised that CZE didn't register .net and .org as well as hextcg.com, but there's a non-zero chance that you're going to cause problems for yourself if you use it.
I was thinking they did not register them on purpose. They will most likely have only one website hextcg.com, therefor the others can be used as fansites. I think it is a lot better to have a fansite on hextcg.net, than to have a parked domain there, or some “male enhancement store”.

If they would need it, or dislike the domain name choice, I can simply register a new domain name. That is very easy, so is a 301 redirect.

verozo
06-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Why seek help when you completely ignore something a page full of comments proved pretty important to change?

WSzaboPeter
06-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Why seek help when you completely ignore something a page full of comments proved pretty important to change?

I don't ignore it at all. See my previous post:
It starts with:

Mr.Funsocks
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I don't ignore it at all. See my previous post:
It starts with:

So, really, what you have is the idea that there should be a Hex fansite.

You don't know what should be on it, you don't have a name, domain, or logo. You don't have any content. You don't even have a staff. You just have the idea that a fansite should exist. Good job?

Typhon
06-03-2013, 08:40 AM
I think a lot of sites will be leaning heavily on the community to contribute ... I run a series of sites, in the space, that I will be adding Hex into the mix. The closest one is probably NetDeck.com; which is in beta as a MtG deckbuilding site; but we will be adding Hex to it. The there's TCGDB.com and CCGDB.com; which I acquired a while back and just need Hex added to it. Then there's ShardsOfFate.com, HexGuilds.com and HexRealms.com which I'm saving for different uses.

There's going to be a lot of competition for eyeballs out there; but I really hope that we can all work together to add to the community instead of fracturing it.

Good luck on your site!