PDA

View Full Version : Offline Feature Request/Guess

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Secondary to the security and perhaps file size/processing power issues, the offline features will be limited for sure. But I consider advantage of mobile is its mobile and I can play where I don't even have internet connection. So wonder what features you all like to see with offline mode.

Highest to lowest in my personal preference ranking.

#1: Offline play of the actual game.
Shadow Era which uses Unity Engine offers this option. The game is much less complex and involved than the HEX. I would be thrilled if there is a way to load up a few quests, or perhaps even a dungeon for On the Go.
*Shadow Era actually prevents you from getting any in game bonus i.e. gold in that game while in offline mode.

#2: Deck builder
Along with AIDA, full blown deck builder so at least I can play around/organize and create some decks.

#3: Offline specificic quest

So not all dungeons are pure TCG. If AI in local system is an issue, what about just a little puzzle game etc.?

#4: Real VS offline game
The chance is least likely, but what if sharing a mobile device to play a local game. You hand over iPad to the other player whenver its his or her turn.

What do you all think?

grey0one
06-02-2013, 01:37 PM
1. As long as there are no rewards/ranking points. Otherwise it will be abused.
2. No issues there, good idea!
3. See #1
4. Same as #1 and I'd love to see it! You,could use it as in-between round fun for your to buddies.

Fireblast
06-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I'd like a offline vs AI playtest mode.
Load your decks from your account and play them offline.

There could be "exploits" to play whatever card you want without owning it, but since you can already with guild banks I don't think it's much of an issue.

It would be like playing proxies or MWS / Cockatrice.

~

BlindMan
06-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Out of the 4, I would say an offline deck builder, with or without AIDA, would be the best idea, with the least risk.

Once you get into offline game play, it's a different story. Someone could potentially hack the game to allow people to play with any cards, which smashes the collector aspect of the game.

Kietay
06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Has to be online at all times for security reasons. Probably wont have any offline features. Maybe deck building!

Aurorah
06-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure they said somewhere that it will be online only to prevent help prevent any sort of trouble.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
The security issue is only an issue if what you do offline could have any effect on online. The things he suggested wouldn't :-P You wouldn't earn any gold for the online version, you wouldn't get any cards, nothing. It's possible under those circumstances.

Daer
06-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd be surprised if there was any offline functionality.

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 02:04 PM
If they have offline play, I would expect them to do something similar to DOTP, where you can only use certain decks.

I don't really like the idea, because DOTP feels like a crippled MTG.

Conversely, they might have an offline deckbuilder mode, which allows you to make any deck you want, and the upload the deck list to yourself in-game, but not play with it (until you get the cards).

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 02:06 PM
If they have offline play, I would expect them to do something similar to DOTP, where you can only use certain decks.

I don't really like the idea, because DOTP feels like a crippled MTG.

Conversely, they might have an offline deckbuilder mode, which allows you to make any deck you want, and the upload the deck list to yourself in-game, but not play with it (until you get the cards).

I've always wanted that idea. So I could know what I really wanted to make my "perfect" deck, what I needed to seek, and had the choice of anything that was there.

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 03:01 PM
DOTP is certainly limited, but having it as on the go alternative or pocket app, I think its good. The part I didn't like about DOTP was its completely separate from MTGO.

So it would be actually nice if they could have DOTP like offline component. Again with no real reward, just for a fun.

Stok3d
06-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I'd be surprised if there was any offline functionality.

This

Gen91
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't know if I'm right here, but if they give us the AI for offline play,
isn't it easy for some people to make a bot out of it?

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't know if I'm right here, but if they give us the AI for offline play,
isn't it easy for some people to make a bot out of it?

Not particularly, it'd have to somehow be decompiled.

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Bot to play against AI? Probably not. My understanding of people doing bot on MTGO is using some sort of automation tool i.e. automatically click mouse here, move mouse there which works fine with auction house.

I believe the main fear of people having against offline play is when there is a reward with offline then upon logging back into online to claim the reward, there will be some sort of data transfer to server indicating you have completed quest. But someone may be able to send this data somehow pretending he/she completed the quest when really didn't.

So as long as no rewards from offline play, I think it should be fine.

BlindMan
06-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Even with no offline rewards, my fear is this: Tricking the offline game into thinking you own every card x4. Suddenly you can play any constructed deck against anyone else who has their offline game set up the same way. That seems like an issue for a trading card game.

Lazybum
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
agree with the others saying there prob wont be an offline play, too many things can go wrong and too many people will try to cheat someway or another

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Even with no offline rewards, my fear is this: Tricking the offline game into thinking you own every card x4. Suddenly you can play any constructed deck against anyone else who has their offline game set up the same way. That seems like an issue for a trading card game.

I see. Yeah that would be a problem. May be if there is a dungeon that really doesn't give player the free constructed deck, then make only those offline? So the best they can do is to go through the scenarios, but no reward.. So cheating and completing really gives them nothing.

LordRaven
06-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Any offline mode (with maybe the exception of a "wish list" or deckbuilder) opens up too many security risks. With the latest update being so security focused I would doubt we'll see anything offline at launch and probably not for quite a while beyond that.

gutock
06-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Real life TCG's already have this problem: anyone can write the cards on a piece of paper, sleeve it, and play.

What prevents most people from just proxying forever is that you can't get into any competitions and don't get any reward.

If they made offline sufficiently shallow (hurts t write that) then there wouldn't be too many people who take advantage of it.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
You guys seem to assume they would ever consider having offline play give rewards in any way to the online game. That would NEVER happen. Also, offline play would definitely not be against other players, it's OFFLINE. It would only let you play against AI, so if you really want to spoof it to have every card... ok? If you have a connection you want to play against players, that's what online is for.

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
You guys seem to assume they would ever consider having offline play give rewards in any way to the online game. That would NEVER happen. Also, offline play would definitely not be against other players, it's OFFLINE. It would only let you play against AI, so if you really want to spoof it to have every card... ok? If you have a connection you want to play against players, that's what online is for.

I think they are referring to Offline as offline person to person play i.e. use one tablet to play the game.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I think they are referring to Offline as offline person to person play i.e. use one tablet to play the game.

Mmmm, passing a tablet back and forth... maybe. I doubt that'd really be a replacement for the full game though. They could perhaps release that as a standalone product for 20 bucks though, wouldn't be that bad. I doubt that'd be free though, for reasons.

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Mmmm, passing a tablet back and forth... maybe. I doubt that'd really be a replacement for the full game though. They could perhaps release that as a standalone product for 20 bucks though, wouldn't be that bad. I doubt that'd be free though, for reasons.

Well if they gonna release $20 separate game... they have to release at least Duels of the Plainswalker level of the game, which essentially now becomes offline game... Hence this topic..... But I'd probably pay addon to play offline if it is reasonably priced and have some synching effect with main HEX e.g. completing offline/addon app gets us addon special PvE cards.

In fact, I think that's what they should do! Ideally for free, but even with some cost. They should make a dugenon that is specifically for offline and you can get specific PvEs from it, and when you log back on to online those cards added to your main account.

In this case, you are getting actual reward from playing it but worst thing that hackers can do is to just acquire offline PvE cards, and if market quickly flood with the cards they have no value i.e. no incentives for ppl to cheat on this.

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Please don't do a DOTP version. =(

MugenMusou
06-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Please don't do a DOTP version. =(

No. What I mean is NOT separate app, which I don't like either. It's part of HEX but specifically offline. The card you get it from actually transfers back to main HEX app. You are just limited to this offline specific dungeon when offline.