PDA

View Full Version : Any SW:CCG vets out there?

Stig
06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
The first TCG I got into was the old Decipher Star Wars: Collectable Card Game. To this day I've never found a TCG that quite matches up to it for me. I absolutely loved the Light Side v Dark Side setup, the location based combat, and the really cool resource model it used.

Anybody else out there used to play? I've still got boxes and boxes filled with cards that I pull out every few years to try out some new decks. Though I'm long since out of people to play with :(

DanTheMeek
06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
While it wasn't the first tcg I ever played, it was actually the first one I got REALLY financially invested in, and I too still have literally boxes upon boxes of old cards in a spare room of my home collecting dust. Balance for that game was always questionable at best, and as a kid with out a job at the time the cost to actually compete was well beyond my means, but between holidays, doing neighbors yard work, or whatever it was I did back there, scrounged up enough money for quite a large number of packs and entered tournaments anyway and spent countless hours playing with friends late into the night and early morning. I always loved the fact that the more "lands", or force generating location you played, the more vulnerable you were since to actually hurt your opponent you had to control lands that gave them force.

All that said... not really sure how this game pertains to Hex. Two very different card games to say the least.

Punk
06-02-2013, 04:55 PM
The first TCG I got into was the old Decipher Star Wars: Collectable Card Game. To this day I've never found a TCG that quite matches up to it for me. I absolutely loved the Light Side v Dark Side setup, the location based combat, and the really cool resource model it used.

Anybody else out there used to play? I've still got boxes and boxes filled with cards that I pull out every few years to try out some new decks. Though I'm long since out of people to play with :(

I used to play along with a few RL friends of mine. Asteroid Sanctuary > all.

LordRaven
06-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I collected more than played. Never could get past the whole "attrition" mechanic eating cards I never even got the chance to use. But I do have complete sets of every set from Limited through Tattooine, with a few cards missing from the Special Edition set...

grey0one
06-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Fantasy Flight Games now has the license for the Star Wars card game. I've heard that it uses the same light/dark mechanic, but FFG turned it into a Living Card Game. So that when you buy a Chapter Pack( 1/6th of a standard set), you get a play set of about 30ish card (depends on the set). Good news is there's no rare chasing. Bad news is there's no limited format.

juggernaut
06-02-2013, 05:47 PM
After being introduced to Magic by some friends in high school, we heard about SWCCG when Decipher acquired the license. We watched Black Lotus and the Moxen reach sky high prices and dreamed the same would happen with the Main Characters. So we opened a *ton* of product. We never played anywhere competitively except against ourselves and friends, and when I went to college (right around when Endor came out) that was the end of our collecting and playing, but we didn't sell our cards.

After college, I got into buying and reselling collections on ebay and at one point had at least one copy of every card, foil and tournament foil ever made. When my wife switched careers, I liquidated everything - which was fortunate as the bottom crashed out on the game soon after when it became clear that a new publisher would not be found for the game.

It's too bad, like the OP I very much liked the resource model. And while yes, the game suffered from some very real balance issues, it was still pretty badass to drop DVDLOTS into play next to The Emperor. :D

Dralon
06-02-2013, 06:33 PM
SWCCG will always be my first love when it comes to card games. The use of the force mechanic to keep score is still such a unique mechanic. I still remember where I was when I got my first Darth Vader from a pack :) I loved putting together theme decks, that while never tournament worthy, were a heck of fun to play. Sad that most of that cardboard is just taking up closet space now. One reason I am excited about Hex, is that gameplay won't have to stop if there isn't a local group to play with.

Accuser
06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I still play =D

cronedog
06-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes! I think it has the best mechanics of any game ever. As far as balance, I thought the game was pretty well balanced, well up until the god-aweful reflections III.

This was an example of a game that never had block rotation. The balance would come in the form of "magic bullets". If there was a card or deck that was dominating the meta, they would create strong counters in the next set. This led to a limitlessly evolving meta game, since there wasn't any such thing as a strongest deck.

The game had a mind boggling array of things you could do, down to many specific locations having a large number of location specific rules. You could get your character drunk, sell a vehicle to the critter that bought Luke's Landspeeder, freeze chewbacca and then on the way to feed him to the rancor stop for a round of dejarik (holochess) or sabacc (like blackjack).

Yeah this thread has nothing to do with Hex, but its nice for old time card floopers to reminisce. I bet people on these boards are tired of me talking about how great this game was lol.

DanTheMeek
06-02-2013, 07:48 PM
SWCCG will always be my first love when it comes to card games. The use of the force mechanic to keep score is still such a unique mechanic. I still remember where I was when I got my first Darth Vader from a pack :) I loved putting together theme decks, that while never tournament worthy, were a heck of fun to play. Sad that most of that cardboard is just taking up closet space now. One reason I am excited about Hex, is that gameplay won't have to stop if there isn't a local group to play with.

Actually I also still remember when I got my first darth vader... and there's not much I remember from that time of my life so I'm not sure if thats something to be ashamed of or proud of, but it was definitely a huge event for me As I recall he was the SWCCG equivalent of legendary rare, (a R1, with a R2 being are hex rare) and even though it was just a close up of his helmet covered face in front of a grey background, it was the most beautiful thing I'd seen to that point in my life. Aside from the fact the card was just flat out amazing, I could finally use my vaders lightsabers that had been collecting dust in my binders for so many months.

Maric
06-02-2013, 08:13 PM
I still have all my cards.

Dallas
06-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I remember losing it when I got my first main character, Han Solo! I used to stare at my Darth Vader =p I really miss that game, used to play tourneys every week, good way to learn to remember to force drain.

Stig
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
This thread makes me endlessly happy :) I too still have my Darth Vader in a hard case.

I didn't play many tournaments, but I do remember my first one. It was at a local card shop, and my dad dropped me off (I was probably 14 at the time). I got absolutely smoked! It was best of 3 round robin, then a consolation bracket for the losers. I maybe won one game, but came away in awe of all of the things you could do I hadn't even thought of. There were so many cards I considered junk that people had as the centerpiece of their decks. Really wish more people still played, I'd love to break out the cards for some real use.

alpha5099
06-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Fantasy Flight Games now has the license for the Star Wars card game. I've heard that it uses the same light/dark mechanic, but FFG turned it into a Living Card Game. So that when you buy a Chapter Pack( 1/6th of a standard set), you get a play set of about 30ish card (depends on the set). Good news is there's no rare chasing. Bad news is there's no limited format.

I never played the Decipher game, but I've been playing FFG's game since it came out at the end of last year. I'm loving it; I've ended up playing most of FFG's LCGs at this point. I play AGOT and SW regularly, and I played Netrunner and Lord of the Rings for a while before deciding neither quite clicked with me. Still haven't played their other two LCGs, Call of Cthulhu or Warhammer Invasion.

The major hook of the new Star Wars game's design is the objective set system, which radically changes how deckbuilding works. You have two separate decks, your standard draw deck of at least 50 cards, and an objective deck of at least ten cards. Objectives are a bit like plots in AGOT, if anyone's played that, though you have three out at a time; they provide the bulk of your resources, and most have special effects, like lowering costs of specific cards, damaging your opponent's units and objectives, or altering how your opponent can attack you. But each objective you use directly determines what goes into your draw deck; one objective will come with Luke Skywalker and other cards that fit with his mechanics, another will provide Boba Fett and the cards needed to run him in your decks. Deckbuilding is thus done through selecting these six card sets of 1 objective and 5 associated cards.

It's not a system that's for everyone, I know a lot of players seemed turned off by the system, but I've really come to love the game's design. I spent Saturday playing at a local regional, where regrettably, embarrassingly I came in next-to-last place.

cronedog
06-02-2013, 08:50 PM
I never played the Decipher game, but I've been playing FFG's game since it came out at the end of last year. I'm loving it; I've ended up playing most of FFG's LCGs at this point. I play AGOT and SW regularly, and I played Netrunner and Lord of the Rings for a while before deciding neither quite clicked with me. Still haven't played their other two LCGs, Call of Cthulhu or Warhammer Invasion.

The major hook of the new Star Wars game's design is the objective set system, which radically changes how deckbuilding works. You have two separate decks, your standard draw deck of at least 50 cards, and an objective deck of at least ten cards. Objectives are a bit like plots in AGOT, if anyone's played that, though you have three out at a time; they provide the bulk of your resources, and most have special effects, like lowering costs of specific cards, damaging your opponent's units and objectives, or altering how your opponent can attack you. But each objective you use directly determines what goes into your draw deck; one objective will come with Luke Skywalker and other cards that fit with his mechanics, another will provide Boba Fett and the cards needed to run him in your decks. Deckbuilding is thus done through selecting these six card sets of 1 objective and 5 associated cards.

It's not a system that's for everyone, I know a lot of players seemed turned off by the system, but I've really come to love the game's design. I spent Saturday playing at a local regional, where regrettably, embarrassingly I came in next-to-last place.

I love a lot of the FFG games but haven't given any of the LCG's a try. In the dice tower review Tom vassel thought the star wars lcg was a good game but thematically terrible and felt nothing like star wars. I'm at work and can't recheck the video right now, but I think he said you can have starships fight people which seems really super weird.

alpha5099
06-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I love a lot of the FFG games but haven't given any of the LCG's a try. In the dice tower review Tom vassel thought the star wars lcg was a good game but thematically terrible and felt nothing like star wars. I'm at work and can't recheck the video right now, but I think he said you can have starships fight people which seems really super weird.

That quirk of the combat system was a major sticking point for a lot of people, but it never really bothers me. My main card gaming experience before starting Star Wars was AGOT, which similarly doesn't really make distinctions between different classes of units. A knight can fight off an entire army, or an army can fight a single raven. From what I understand about the Decipher game, the distinction between vehicle and character combat was pretty important, so I can understand why fans of that game would want similar mechanics here.

But I also don't really have a very hard time imagining how a character could stand up against a vehicle. The Dark Side sends a star destroyer at the Light Side, and the LS defends and wins with Leia. She isn't physically stopping the star destroyer, she's not out in the vacuum of space shooting it with a blaster. She's providing intel that allowed the Rebels to be prepared for the assault, or making some political maneuvers that saved the day.

As for it not "feeling" like Star Wars, that's hugely subjective, but having played this game for the last six or seven months, I disagree. When Han Solo hits the table, I don't feel like it's just some piece of paper with a drawing of Harrison Ford on it, I think that's the rat bastard scoundrel that is going to foul up all my well-laid evil plans. I'm not perfectly replicating line-for-line the scripts for the films, but I always feel like I'm engaged in a thematically satisfying struggle between the Dark Side and the Light Side, at least as much as I have ever found AGOT to feel like an appropriate representation of the political and military machinations of Westeros.

cronedog
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
That quirk of the combat system was a major sticking point for a lot of people, but it never really bothers me. My main card gaming experience before starting Star Wars was AGOT, which similarly doesn't really make distinctions between different classes of units. A knight can fight off an entire army, or an army can fight a single raven. From what I understand about the Decipher game, the distinction between vehicle and character combat was pretty important, so I can understand why fans of that game would want similar mechanics here.

But I also don't really have a very hard time imagining how a character could stand up against a vehicle. The Dark Side sends a star destroyer at the Light Side, and the LS defends and wins with Leia. She isn't physically stopping the star destroyer, she's not out in the vacuum of space shooting it with a blaster. She's providing intel that allowed the Rebels to be prepared for the assault, or making some political maneuvers that saved the day.

I really appreciate your insight. I'm now actually willing to give the game a shot :).

As far as the decipher one, you actually could have vehicles and people fight on land. You had land sites a space sites, so in that one having Han in space without a ship would make a much bigger difference lol.

As an aside, do any Decipher fans remember "inserts"? You could actually place cards into your opponents deck that when they came to the top would have some sort of effect. I've heard Cory Jones say a few times in interviews that this is unique to Hex, but us old schoolers know better ;)

Vibraxus
06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Ive played it a few times at work with a friend who has I think 4 of each objective (He is a TCG junkie). Its fun, but meh.

Aethnen
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
So nice to see a few people waxing nostalgic for Decipher's SW. It really was the best CCG ever made. Love that game and miss it dearly as well.

panzer
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
The reason I found hex is was actually looking for the star wars galaxies TCG. I know its not the same game but it was one of the funniest TCGs I ever played, wish it was still around.

OP_Kyle
06-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Red 7 standing by

Black_Omega
06-04-2013, 08:34 PM
SW:CCG vet here. Played for years!! Spent thousands on it!

houjix
06-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Played a lot. Loved that game, warts and all. I still own one card. Can you guess which one it is?

Really wanted the reboot game, Wars TCG, to work out. Never got near the WoTC version. FF's LCG is not that great of a game. some good ideas, but very unpolished and clunky.

Aethnen
06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Red 7 standing by

Ambassador Grand Nagus standing by. ;) LOL

cronedog
06-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Played a lot. Loved that game, warts and all. I still own one card. Can you guess which one it is?

Really wanted the reboot game, Wars TCG, to work out. Never got near the WoTC version. FF's LCG is not that great of a game. some good ideas, but very unpolished and clunky.

Every play any real dejarik? http://dhost.info/rissa/Holochess/