PDA

View Full Version : Angry Joe Show interview

Qorsair
06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
It's up:

Angry Joe Hex MMO/TCG Pledge + Interview!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc

Stok3d
06-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Thnx, been waiting for this.

Gwaer
06-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Angry Joe has lost some weight... I'm against it, it's better when he is angry fat man =(

Madican
06-02-2013, 04:34 PM
So Cory has just said that a base rule is no card can ever be reduced in cost to less than 1.

Cory_Jones
06-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Well in principle
But don't tell the Spectral Lotus :)

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 04:38 PM
But...

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DreamDance_Gear_Web.png

theghost32
06-02-2013, 04:38 PM
so no affinity madness well thats good

Madican
06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Well in principle
But don't tell the Spectral Lotus :)

Well that's technically a 0 cost already so I'm sure it's fine with it.

What about Void Marauder though? The Reward section of the HexTCG site gave the impression it can be reduced to the "low, low cost of zero."

Hieronymous
06-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Well that's technically a 0 cost already so I'm sure it's fine with it.

What about Void Marauder though? The Reward section of the HexTCG site gave the impression it can be reduced to the "low, low cost of zero."

Probably why void marauder is PvE only.

BossHoss
06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Cory can correct me if I am wrong but I think he is referring to the fact that turn 1 will never reduce a cost to zero... ex black lotus, moxes god draw turn 1 I win before you even played a land

DjiN
06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Great show, nice interview!

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
"Humans have the coolest backstory"

What did I TELL all of you in the race poll last week? Go human, or go home!

Qorsair
06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Cory, please stop doing interviews.
Each time I watch one, I end up adding a tier to my own pledge, or buying one for a friend.

I'm so excited for this game to release and want to support it as much as possible.
It's great to see how completely engaged you are, and it's amazing to see that the people creating the game are just as excited to play it as we are!

It's so obvious that you're not in it for the money,* and truly love the idea and want to get it out to as many people as possible and cultivate a great community. This is the kind of attitude that makes a successful game, and I'm so happy to help make it happen!

*Even though I'm sure you know this game is going to make you filthy rich. :) You deserve it for bringing Hex to us!

Madican
06-02-2013, 05:14 PM

We'll look at Humans AFTER the Necrotic.

IndigoShade
06-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I want to hear more about Necrotic too. They already said the Necrotic won't be heavily featured in set 1 though, so I've already conceded to having to wait for the Necrotic. Might as well learn more about the races that we'll actually see more of at launch.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Cory i wuv u.

Indormi
06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Alpha mid august as I estimanted in other threads...dunno if I'm going to be able to hold the hype for so long

Stok3d
06-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Cory doing this with AngryJoe was brilliant. I just peaked and he has 724,781 subscribers to his youtube. Looks like a win/win for both parties.

Isn't there a twitch coming out tomorrow too? Link/Time? Cory is definitely doing his legwork promoting for us all...

Qorsair
06-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Cory doing this with AngryJoe was brilliant. I just peaked and he has 724,781 subscribers to his youtube. Looks like a win/win for both parties.

Isn't there a twitch coming out tomorrow too? Link/Time? Cory is definitely doing his legwork promoting for us all...

Yeah, make sure you lock in your final choices for tiers. I wouldn't be surprised if we're down to Guild Master and Raid Leader at the $250 tier tomorrow.

Here's the link to the twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 06:30 PM
By my estimate, Kickstarter's gone up by 10k since this was posted...

Madican
06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Yep, grab those Dungeon Crawlers and Collectors now people.

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 06:34 PM
It's funny how much rage you see in the youtube comments....

Madican
06-02-2013, 06:35 PM
It's funny how much rage you see in the youtube comments....

Never look at Youtube comments unless you want to cry or just feel disturbed.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I always look at the YouTube comments. It's a test of my fortitude for tolerating the human race. It's been waning.

TheDiv
06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah those youTube comments are so insanely uninformed. It disturbs to think people can be so ignorant of things.

Lazybum
06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
good interview

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah those youTube comments are so insanely uninformed. It disturbs to think people can be so ignorant of things.

I didn't get far enough to see before I lost all faith in humanity, there's "OMG MTG CLONE" ones right?

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I didn't get far enough to see before I lost all faith in humanity, there's "OMG MTG CLONE" ones right?

One guy was screaming about how this game was a scam and the MMO features were pointless and no one will play this game because they could just play MTGO.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 06:58 PM
One guy was screaming about how this game was a scam and the MMO features were pointless and no one will play this game because they could just play MTGO.

Teehee. Has he actually played MTGO?

TheDiv
06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Teehee. Has he actually played MTGO?

Not sure but that guy was quite adamant that we are all getting scammed.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 07:37 PM
"It's a scam, it's a scam, you're getting exactly what you wanted: An updated/tweaked version of the common TCG elements from Magic that's online and classy!"

'nother 5k since I posted last... gotta say, that's a pretty good ad for the game.

Kietay
06-02-2013, 08:00 PM

This person understands.

Gwaer
06-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Best day since GK sold out. That's a good start.

Skirovik
06-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Really enjoyed watching this interview and it really looks like the video has had a positive impact on the KS. Can't say for sure, but definitely seems likely.

Madican
06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Can't say for sure? When I looked earlier today we were at 1,570,000 before the video. Afterwards we're at 1,618,000 + another 100,000 from PayPal and climbing

Gorgol
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
That was a great interview

Skirovik
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Can't say for sure? When I looked earlier today we were at 1,570,000 before the video. Afterwards we're at 1,620,000 and climbing

Lol, until a large number of people tell me how much they pledged and it was due to the vid, I don't think anyone can "say for sure". But it's pretty damn unlikely for it to not be as a direct result. :p

TheDiv
06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I think any exposure to the broader community is great. What I've realised about Hex is that, as Cory has said, it's the game so many of us have wanted for a long time. We may not have thought about it in the form it's in now, but it covers the bases and looks like it'll deliver. I'm sure there are many, many people out there that will love Hex but perhaps have missed out on the coverage on it thus far, it's a shame but I truly hope they find out eventually and join us!

Skirovik
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah I get quite happy every time someone mentions a video they saw or posted about Hex. The more people making videos about this game the better. Hopefully this trend continues long into the games launch/life and we end up with a bigger and bigger community. The more people that play this game the better!

Madican
06-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Let's see about breaking that 1.8million stretch by the update tomorrow! I want to know who the mystery writer is.

TheDiv
06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Let's see about breaking that 1.8million stretch by the update tomorrow! I want to know who the mystery writer is.

If we can get a surge over the next few hours. Another 80k or so will take us to 1.8mil (if you include PayPal). Heck, if the next stretch goal is enticing enough we might even get another surge!

That being said, I've got two minds about the remaining stretch goals. I'm worried that they'll announce them, they'll be amazing, but we'll fall short and miss out :( but, I'm sure we'd get whatever it is eventually anyways.

Skirovik
06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
If we can get a surge over the next few hours. Another 80k or so will take us to 1.8mil (if you include PayPal). Heck, if the next stretch goal is enticing enough we might even get another surge!

That being said, I've got two minds about the remaining stretch goals. I'm worried that they'll announce them, they'll be amazing, but we'll fall short and miss out :( but, I'm sure we'd get whatever it is eventually anyways.

From watching the video, it's definitely all about when rather than what. We'll get all these stretch goals, but we'll have to wait a big longer for them if we don't raise the funds now.

Btw, I love your sig! :D

TheDiv
06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
From watching the video, it's definitely all about when rather than what. We'll get all these stretch goals, but we'll have to wait a big longer for them if we don't raise the funds now.

Btw, I love your sig! :D

Exactly, and thank you! Just noticed you're from Melbourne, as am I :D

Shrennan
06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm so glad that Cory mentioned and reaffirmed that he wants to do a real money auction house (normally, I would be against this for any video game but I do think it's really important for TCGs to have an actual monetary value for its various cards). I suspected that it wouldn't happen at launch, but as long as it's a question of when then I can definitely be content with that. It's better to do it right than to just rush it and get into a whole lot of legal issues and have the problems of, say, Diablo 3.

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I don't want a RMAH, just a Platinum -> Cash option.
Basically the same thing, though, I guess.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Yeah, I kind of feel that that's the better option. Otherwise a RMAH would basically eliminate the point of plat...

TheDiv
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Plat -> Cash option seems the way to go in my opinion. Given that he's also trying to figure out the kinks with Real-Money prizes, it might be better to provide Platinum as the prize and give the option to convert that out. I'm not saying it makes it super easy, there are probably still a lot of legal considerations but it could be a step in the right direction?

HyenaNipples
06-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I think by definition you can't be scammed if you are getting exactly what you want...

However, a vast majority of people on these forums have hype oozing from their pores. It's one thing to hope the game will be good, but it's quite another to be damn sure of it without even getting your hands on it for a while.

I like the sound of everything, but game people say what you want to hear; there is a very real possibility that this game will fizzle if it isn't quality down to its foundation. And I don't think there is any reservoir of awesome big enough to take in the tsunami of prophetic fanboyism, so there will inevitably be enthusiastic kickstarters who will transform into vehement hate-mongers when not everything goes as they envisioned.

Talreth
06-02-2013, 09:20 PM
I think by definition you can't be scammed if you are getting exactly what you want...

However, a vast majority of people on these forums have hype oozing from their pores. It's one thing to hope the game will be good, but it's quite another to be damn sure of it without even getting your hands on it for a while.

I like the sound of everything, but game people say what you want to hear; there is a very real possibility that this game will fizzle if it isn't quality down to its foundation. And I don't think there is any reservoir of awesome big enough to take in the tsunami of prophetic fanboyism, so there will inevitably be enthusiastic kickstarters who will transform into vehement hate-mongers when not everything goes as they envisioned.

star wars the hex republic

NastyNate
06-02-2013, 10:14 PM

I'm mostly excited because this is the type of game I've been dreaming about for years. The fact that someone is following through on the TCG/MMO concept has given me a lot of hope. The gaming industry has become increasingly stagnated over the years and fresh ideas like HEX are necessary to keep it alive. Also, there will always be groups of people who aren't happy with the game. Even if Cryptozoic nails every aspect, you can be sure someone will be on the forums complaining.

Zomnivore
06-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Ya for a while I thought Angry Joe was just another blow hard sort of like Total Biscuit very weak principles etc. but so far the dudes been pretty straight shooting and I've enjoyed his content, even if at first glance he looks like a douche.

Glad to see him losing some weight. Thought the video was pretty nice, shame the stream quality was so so.

Ryoma_Echizen
06-03-2013, 01:13 AM
What principles is Total Biscuit weak on? In my experience he's a very principled person.

I was a bit disappointed the interview was mostly the same stuff we've heard in other interviews, but the confirmation of 40 dungeons and a bit more info on them like the 8 dungeon arc was nice. I hope they will show us PvE. Cory claimed that there would be 30 dungeons and kickstarter increased this to 40. You'd think they'd have at least 1 demo dungeon ready to show which would do loads to sell the whole PvE concept. The first video sold the PvP and the pro player and JK tiers. If they showed a dungeon and a raid you'd empty the dungeon crawlers and half of the raid leaders too. Hopefully they're just saving their best for last.

maniza
06-03-2013, 01:37 AM
been a gamer for 20 years. i have followed video game media for maybe 4 years and from those experiences i can tell you 2 things
1 cory jones is one of the most passionate and sincere talking persons in the industry, you can tell how exited he is about the game. this guy is not faking. trust me i can tell when a guy is talking crap (like sim city devs when asked about servers) and when a guy is realy into what he is doin(like ken levigne from bioshock infinite)
2 when a project has someone like that behind it will be a great game. not shure if it will please everyone but it will be great. because he wont put it out until he thinks its ready and because he will work his ass of to make shure is the game he wants to play.
the game might fail hey everything is possible. but i wouldent bet on it. call it a gamers hunch or experience or whatever i just know this game will be awsome. hope im right.

btw angry joe is awsome too.

Rapkannibale
06-03-2013, 02:06 AM
A big difference between this and other Kickstarters is that they are asking us to have a lot less faith then some of the other projects. This game has already been in development for two years. We have seen how the game players, they have spoiled over 160 cards, etc. Look at projects like the Double Fine adventure. There had been pretty much no work done on that game when the KS went live. It was just an idea. That is asking for a lot of faith in the developers. CZE made sure to have a solid product already before asking for money. In my book that is enough for me to trust them. :)

MrKunle
06-03-2013, 05:49 AM
I do hope he (cory) can get more youtubers in i've said before that Totalbiscuit loves these types of games so getting him involved or the very least interested will be good. Especially when the majority of his demographic audience is around the late 20's to early 30's which means they have a lot more money to throw around (Don't take my word for the figures but I remember him talking about it with jesse cox in a TGS podcast). The more of these interviews he does showing his passion in this game wins more and more people over to the hex cause!
P.S loved the bit where he sidetrack when talking about the races and had to ask joe what the original question was. Seems this game is in safe hands!

Aerensiniac
06-05-2013, 05:46 AM
What principles is Total Biscuit weak on? In my experience he's a very principled person.
Not to turn this into an epeen war of sorts but TB is popular, and thats it.
He is popular to the point of compromising his own integrity cause after a while it starts to seem like he is literally selling out his reviews. On the other hand companies too are literally aiming for him cause he is one of the head figures of game reviewing on youtube.
My personal opinion is that examples like PlanetSide2 and Tribest ascend are simply disgusting. Then should you leave a negative comment on one of his videos, you are insta-banned from his entire channel. I enjoyed his reviews for a while, but with the fame and popularity, he is becoming a cliché butt trout rather quickly.

And of course there is the second curse of popularity: The horde of white knighting, sub retarded teenage fan boys and girls.
Every time he says he has a positive impression of something, the game gets an instant community stress test.
I know first hand how this looks like, but here you have a chance to observe this yourself.
Should TB decide to do a review of this and turn it into an advert, then we will be blessed with this experience instantly.

Ryoma_Echizen
06-05-2013, 06:12 AM
I did not know about the banning of people that disagree with him. Apparently fame changes people. Always listened to his WoW Podcasts back in the day.

Hopefully no one suddenly comes out with proof of Angry Joe being so douchy. He's backed HEX at 250 and Star Citizen at 250, both of which I've pledged for too.

Fireblast
06-05-2013, 06:39 AM
I don't think it's about fame, it's the difference between reviews being a hobby and a living

~

Digital_Maoli
06-10-2013, 01:41 AM
I don't think it's about fame, it's the difference between reviews being a hobby and a living

~

This right here is one succint statement, explains the differences between TB vs Joe and their approaches. Agreed.