PDA

View Full Version : Champion Customization

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone know if we're going to be able to customize our champions appearance, and if so, in what ways?

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 05:23 PM
It looks like just a portrait, but it does level with you. I doubt there'll be much customization of it.

Tathel
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I think there is basically 1 champion for each race/class/gender combination, there will be customization ability wise but i think appearance is preset art.

RobHaven
06-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I think there is basically 1 champion for each race/class/gender combination, there will be customization ability wise but i think appearance is preset art.

I got the impression (from the Hex site) that each combo would offer different abilities. Does anyone know if this is or isn't the case? What I mean is a Human Mage and an Elf Mage - do they have the same talent tree? Is it universal to the class regardless of race?

neonovas
06-02-2013, 07:13 PM
the impression i got from http://hextcg.com/game/champion/ was the only champion mattered, "A champion’s class determines a variety of customization options such as what charge power and talents they have access to." So other than the two different sides getting slightly different storyline stuff I don't see race changing anything unless some talent is like "Cards of (your race) receive BONUS" or something.

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I was talking about appearance, kind of odd if we're only stuck with preset art. Don't most MMOs at least let you pick a hairstyle or color or some such.

neonovas
06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
No idea on that, again just the impression I've gotten is that you really dont see yourself other than like an avatar type thing

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 07:23 PM
No idea on that, again just the impression I've gotten is that you really dont see yourself other than like an avatar type thing

I know, I just thought it would be neat if you could customize that avatar.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Most MMOs do a 3d render, this is static art. They could do something like the old Shandalar game let you do (static face but you can change his hat/hair/item to a set of 10 choices), but that tends to look a li'l ugly. Maybe different avatar choices as PvE/PvP/Event rewards or microtransactions?

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Most MMOs do a 3d render, this is static art. They could do something like the old Shandalar game let you do (static face but you can change his hat/hair/item to a set of 10 choices), but that tends to look a li'l ugly. Maybe different avatar choices as PvE/PvP/Event rewards or microtransactions?

I was thinking more of two or three choices on the overall picture and you could change the colors to a few pre-made choices.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I was thinking more of two or three choices on the overall picture and you could change the colors to a few pre-made choices.

Most artists really don't enjoy that, meddling with their work. I think it'd be neat to maybe be able to accessorize or something, but the art is pretty carefully done, with lighting effects and all.

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 08:13 PM
...giving someone a choice between Blonde, Brunette, Black, and Auburn hair will piss of artists?

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 09:02 PM
...giving someone a choice between Blonde, Brunette, Black, and Auburn hair will piss of artists?

Y'ever done any creative things? I cook, and goddamnit it's annoying when people want one thing instead of another. You make a whole composition of dish, and you've carefully balanced all the flavors against each other, making just the right interplay between sour and sweet and savory, then some numbnuts dumps a buncha hot sauce on it.

jai151
06-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Y'ever done any creative things? I cook, and goddamnit it's annoying when people want one thing instead of another. You make a whole composition of dish, and you've carefully balanced all the flavors against each other, making just the right interplay between sour and sweet and savory, then some numbnuts dumps a buncha hot sauce on it.

Ever want to piss off a chef? Just ask for ketchup.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Ever want to piss off a chef? Just ask for ketchup.

Seriously. At least goddamn taste the thing first if you're gonna ruin it!

Talreth
06-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Seriously. At least goddamn taste the thing first if you're gonna ruin it!

But I love ketchup :( and I just like regular food, nothing fancy..

Madican
06-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Actually I'm of the opinion that if someone wants something different about their food, within reason, you give it to them without complaint. That's the definition of a service industry.

People have different tastes. It may be perfect to you, but too hot for me. Or maybe I'm allergic to something in it.

Talreth
06-02-2013, 09:31 PM
I want hair presets for style and color at least...so I can play a hot redhead.

theradol
06-02-2013, 09:34 PM
i believe that they have mentioned cosmetic stuff dropping from dungeons. Those may customize your guy.

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Actually I'm of the opinion that if someone wants something different about their food, within reason, you give it to them without complaint. That's the definition of a service industry.

People have different tastes. It may be perfect to you, but too hot for me. Or maybe I'm allergic to something in it.

Well, that's talking about 2 different things. Service industry and allergies are a no brainer, you're making it for someone else who's paying you for the service, and you don't mess with allergies. And spiciness is a mutable property that doesn't effect much about the dish's composition.

This is more about people changing the flavor of a dish that someone designed and made for you. It's just offensive to the guy who made it.

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Well, that's talking about 2 different things. Service industry and allergies are a no brainer, you're making it for someone else who's paying you for the service, and you don't mess with allergies. And spiciness is a mutable property that doesn't effect much about the dish's composition.

This is more about people changing the flavor of a dish that someone designed and made for you. It's just offensive to the guy who made it.

...really? Seems about the same to me. People like putting their own personal touches on things, so your seeing your guy and not a generic Level 5 Human Warlock or whatever.

Gwaer
06-02-2013, 10:58 PM
You're both right, the real question is the quality of the food being served. If a 5 star chef personally made me a creation designed specifically to get me off, I'd not mess with it. If i get something from a chain restaurant of any kind, all bets are off.

S117
06-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Man...I'm hungry now...

Mr.Funsocks
06-02-2013, 11:30 PM
You're both right, the real question is the quality of the food being served. If a 5 star chef personally made me a creation designed specifically to get me off, I'd not mess with it. If i get something from a chain restaurant of any kind, all bets are off.

Exactly the distinction I was going for. There's a finely crafted meal, which is art, and then there's just food, which can be tasty, but it's just a yummy meal, have it your way. In this case, the portraits are very much art. While I can't speak for these artists, many artists object to their work being tampered with, is all I'm saying.

Gwaer
06-02-2013, 11:32 PM
There is a whole movement of customization in food, and art though. If it's built into the design process, then it's no issue. You're assuming that this isn't meant to be modified, also mixing too many metaphors makes the conversation lose focus,

BenRGamer
06-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Look, all I'm saying is all MMOs have, at the very least, some superficial character specialization, if Hex wants to be an MMO, it might be a good idea to have that.

Fireblast
06-02-2013, 11:39 PM
The customization is from sleeves / Alternate Art / etc...

~

Madican
06-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Just to clarify, I was only talking about food as food. Not food as a metaphor for champion customization.

I don't kill a dish on purpose, but if it doesn't suit my tastes I'm going to try changing a few things, starting with the spices and sauces.

Gwaer
06-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Pretty sure they specifically stated there will be avatar customizations.

BenRGamer
06-03-2013, 12:11 AM
The customization is from sleeves / Alternate Art / etc...

You can barely see sleeves when zoomed out, but the champions always take up about a quarter of the screen.