PDA

View Full Version : Kraken Tentacle and other Persistent Dungeon Interactions and Tokens

GreyGriffin
06-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Interesting thought. Fairly certain I know the answer, but...

The recent post highlighting the Kraken dungeon posited the idea of persistent damage to your deck. For those who TL:DR, the kraken's tentacles can remove troops from play who remain out of your deck for the rest of the dungeon. Where this gets a little odd is Troop Tokens.

If the Kraken whacks one of the Battle Hoppers you got from Runts of the Litter, does that Runt of the Litter then only summon 2 Hoppers?

Easy answer: No

Runt of the Litter is an Action that creates pseudo troops. They're not real troops, not real cards, and ergo don't have any persistent statistics.

Difficult answer that comes to the same conclusion: Not quite

Tokens are actually cards. Unlike other games they are treated like cards in virtually every respect, including certain mechanics unique to this game - they occupy your graveyard and retain game-specific buffs and debuffs.

However, the actions that create these cards can be recycled. Unless the card stores an infinite (or potentially infinite) number of identifiers for the Battle Hoppers it specifically conjures, each Battle Hopper is a new hopper.

This creates an interesting limitation on dungeon gameplay: encounter-to-encounter gameplay will most likely not involve buffs to your creatures based on their actions in gameplay. This means that one of your troops can't grab a macguffin or mission critical buff/enchant/item by attacking or blocking another troop, barring some kind of special mechanic that keeps that creature in play. Any resultant persistent effects would have to be cards or something that influences your champion.

I am not sure how significant that is in the long run, but I am just brain gushing here.

madar
06-03-2013, 02:32 AM
It's a very interesting question, however, the token cards are still tokens, the game know where they came from - so in worst case can be a mechanic what prevent them to pick up the i-win ability (but allow for normal creatures). If it would happen, it would force you to don't use (so much) token generator card, but anyway, this would be the fun part of the PVE, that different events require different tactics\decks.

Avaian
06-03-2013, 05:03 AM
I read this encounter as one of two ways.

You lose a troop before the game starts then fight it (Kraken attacks with tentacle), or after the game ends you lose the troops (The Kraken escapes but takes a couple troops with it).

Personally I read it as the second way, thinking they could easily make it so that any tentacle troops in play when you beat him each remove a troop after the game, making you rethink how to fight the encounters and your deck to best beat the dungeon.

ShaolinRaven
06-03-2013, 05:40 AM
I read this encounter as one of two ways.

You lose a troop before the game starts then fight it (Kraken attacks with tentacle), or after the game ends you lose the troops (The Kraken escapes but takes a couple troops with it).

Personally I read it as the second way, thinking they could easily make it so that any tentacle troops in play when you beat him each remove a troop after the game, making you rethink how to fight the encounters and your deck to best beat the dungeon.

Actually there is a third way. During combat a tentacle could activate an ability and void a troop for the rest of the dungeon. So it would basically happen during the actual fight as your troops get drug off the ship the battle takes place on. Which means that if you kill the tentacles fast enough or defeat the encounter fast enough, you would loose no troops.