PDA

View Full Version : Tablet/ios supprt

Tourguide
06-03-2013, 05:42 AM
I think this is a great avenue for a game like this, it will create a new pool for a playerbase that the game may not have had only being a pc game. But I also want to say, I have a PSvita that i have pretty much no use for, Being available on the sony network and or the xbox market should be a very possible thing. As a pc gamer to the core i hate to admit that the gaming market has been dominated by the consoles for years now and its only getting further that way. This is not necessarily a bad thing because games like this are not seperated by the controller vs. mouse issues like fps games are and the persistent states required by mmorpgs. Its just an idea I had for the future of the game and an easy way to increase the amount of players. I understand there is a process one has to go through to get onto these mediums but i imagine that it would be worthwhile seeing how popular this game is before it even exists.

wallofomens
06-03-2013, 05:46 AM
Uhmmm... (https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/636/280/e315a0066317c896acd412e1dad77924_large.jpg?1370054 457) (if you would notice the last stretch goal) :)

jai151
06-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Uhmmm... (https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/636/280/e315a0066317c896acd412e1dad77924_large.jpg?1370054 457) (if you would notice the last stretch goal) :)

He's talking about console support, not tablet. Misleading title.

For the OP, there are many more hurdles to cross platform play on the XBox/PS than iOS/Android, and this is a game that MUST have full interoperability. There also may be issues with the patch approval programs on both environments, but I am definitely not an expert in that.

Tourguide
06-03-2013, 05:49 AM
I know about the stretch goals. im saying that they should think about broadening that to include consoles and things like a psvita.

wallofomens
06-03-2013, 05:51 AM
He's talking about console support, not tablet. Misleading title.

Oh! I kind of skimmed the OP to be honest, a bit sleep deprived right now. My apologies!

And I would love PSP support(no monies for vita). But to be honest I just don't see it happening.

Tourguide
06-03-2013, 05:53 AM
I also accidentally a letter on the title too :(

Thelaasa
06-03-2013, 07:18 AM
There are a lot of problems with console support, not the least of which are updates and content sales. Getting updates to the game through XBLA and PSN can be a royal pain, and would necessitate those updates being delayed for the PC so that all platforms can be updated simultaneously.

Along with that, you have the difficulty of pricing content. I don't know the specifics, but I imagine that it would be tricky, at best, to set up the micro-transaction system for purchasing boosters and starters and keep the prices comparative to the pc version, since you will have to accept any rules that microsoft and/or sony place on those transactions, such as fees.

Sure, it would be kinda neat, but I really think that the hassle would far outstrip the possible benefits that might be found. Also, all of this isn't even taking into account the fact that they would have to completely design a new control scheme for use with a controller. I assume that the pc version will not support controllers, so that is increased development time and resource cost on top of any other changes that would need to be made.

Rapkannibale
06-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Consoles and things like the PS Vita are a pain for developers to go onto, especially if it wasn't their plan all along. If the game proves a massive success (like I hope it will) they may consider adding support for some other platforms post launch. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Mr.Funsocks
06-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Talk to ANY developer who makes stuff for both mobile devices/PCs and consoles. Consoles are SUCH a pain. It's something like 15 000$ just for the devkit for PS3, and everything is in entirely different languages and whatnot. If this takes off in a real big way, it's an eventual possibility, but there's a reason consoles are dying...

Genocidal
06-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Consoles are not dying. I agree with the rest though.

MugenMusou
06-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I think this is a great avenue for a game like this, it will create a new pool for a playerbase that the game may not have had only being a pc game. But I also want to say, I have a PSvita that i have pretty much no use for, Being available on the sony network and or the xbox market should be a very possible thing. As a pc gamer to the core i hate to admit that the gaming market has been dominated by the consoles for years now and its only getting further that way. This is not necessarily a bad thing because games like this are not seperated by the controller vs. mouse issues like fps games are and the persistent states required by mmorpgs. Its just an idea I had for the future of the game and an easy way to increase the amount of players. I understand there is a process one has to go through to get onto these mediums but i imagine that it would be worthwhile seeing how popular this game is before it even exists.

Unity Engine is supporting or will be supporting Sony consoles: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/03/21/unity-coming-to-sony-consoles-this-year/. So it is definitely a possibility.

Also given the specs of Xbox One and PS4 being so similar to that of PC, it should not be too hard. I think they are great ideas.

jai151
06-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Unity Engine is supporting or will be supporting Sony consoles: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/03/21/unity-coming-to-sony-consoles-this-year/. So it is definitely a possibility.

Also given the specs of Xbox One and PS4 being so similar to that of PC, it should not be too hard. I think they are great ideas.

The development is only one of the hurdles though, and arguably the most minor of them. It's the guaranteed interoperability, the patching approval processes, and working within the multiple store environment rules that are the big ones.

Thelaasa
06-03-2013, 09:24 AM

That is all assuming that anyone is willing to buy an Xbox one or PS4. With the resounding disaster that was the Xbox reveal, and the lack of any information from sony about the PS4 in response to the used game/online questions that have arisen, the popularity of the next batch of consoles may take a serious hit. Not much point making a game for a console gamers aren't going to want, after all.

MugenMusou
06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
That is all assuming that anyone is willing to buy an Xbox one or PS4. With the resounding disaster that was the Xbox reveal, and the lack of any information from sony about the PS4 in response to the used game/online questions that have arisen, the popularity of the next batch of consoles may take a serious hit. Not much point making a game for a console gamers aren't going to want, after all.

PS3 is already supported. And PS Vita is also coming. Now obviously, I have no clue how much Sony's play store charges for games posted there, but I am assuming they are less than Xbox marketplace.

I remember reading somewhere PS4 is trying to promote further development of the casual/3rd party games in PSN, so may be if Cryptozoic thinks its worth enough to put a little effort, it may not be hard.

There was a game called Elemental Monster TCG a while back introduced in Japan, and had #1 sales for a whole month on PSN (as I recall). So there is a market for it.

As far as the console market, yeah I agree it would be tough compared to tablet. But believe or not both PS3 and Xbox 360 sold over 70 million world wide. Wii is like 20-30 million more. So among three, over 200 million consoles. When PS2 sold over 100 million world wide people thought its unbeatable record. So I think there is still good market for it.

Ju66ernaut
06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I wonder if they will also optimize the game to support smaller resolutions a la iPhone/Android OS phones at the same time as tablets, or if that is an option they're leaving on the back burner for the time being.

Tyrfang
06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't know why people have the belief that it's harder to succeed on consoles than on tablets.

It's the other way around according to the articles I read that surveyed various indie devs.

ossuary
06-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Tablets are extremely hit and miss. You can win big (very very low percent chance of happening), or you can toil away in obscurity with 25 lifetime sales (quite common). But there's this perception in the general public that everyone is getting rich on tablets, and it's hard to dispel.

Tyrfang
06-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Success in any of the current e-marketplaces, from consoles/handhelds to tablets/phones to even Steam are entirely based around content discovery.

If you get featured on the front page of the marketplace, your sales will skyrocket.

If you don't believe me, just compare the top sellers of Steam and the front page of Steam at any given moment.

Even the (warning: my opinion) very niche, artsy indie game 7 Grand Steps is in the Top 50 current best sellers. (I played the demo. Even though I love board games and I love life-sims, this game is just NOT enjoyable.)