PDA

View Full Version : PvP is pay to win?

krizzis
06-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Did I understand correctly that constructed pvp is pure "pay to win" - PvP card obtained ONLY for real money?
PvP and PvE cards completely different? they are two different sets?

Sry for this question -am reading about this game all day long, but I cant exactly understand this moment.

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 06:16 AM
PvE is Free2Play
PvP is Pay2Compete (skills is better than more money)

So far there are 300 PvE only cards and 350 PvP cards (that can be used in PvE).

The PvE cards will be tradeable so you could farm PvE and sell your cards to buy PvP cards.

~

jai151
06-03-2013, 06:17 AM
No. PVP is pay to play.

Yes, PvP cards can only be obtained through purchasing boosters and starters or by trading with other players. There are 350 exclusive PvE cards and 300 PvP cards. PvP cards can be used in PvE, but not vice versa.

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 06:18 AM
No. PVP is pay to play.

Yes, PvP cards can only be obtained through purchasing boosters and starters or by trading with other players. There are 350 exclusive PvE cards and 300 PvP cards. PvP cards can be used in PvE, but not vice versa.

It's 350 PvP and 300 PvE, + the cards only the AI can use, they said they have designed about 1K cards for Set 1 and they are working on set 2 and 3 as we speak.

~

ShaolinRaven
06-03-2013, 06:19 AM
You need platinum to buy boosters/starters so you do need to use some real money, unless people start selling them for gold on the player AH.

There is a difference between pay to win and pay to compete. If you just play PvP casually with a friend you never have to invest anything since you get a starter deck for signing up. However that starter might get boring and you may want to buy some packs to supplement, but you don't have to.

If you want to be competitive then you'll have to buy packs and cards to build a competitive constructed deck. If you do sealed or draft there are entry fees and you have to buy boosters/starters for them. But that is only if you want to get into the tournament side of PvP and how much you want to do tournaments vs casual will determine how much you want to spend.

benczi
06-03-2013, 06:20 AM
There will be an entry fee for every pvp tournament. It's the same irl as well, and this is how hex will be making it's money. If you are good and win some, you may go 'over 9000', you just win, win, and win some more, and use the prizes from one tournament to pay for the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and so on.

Edit: I'm seeing some of the responses from before me, and I think you guys are misunderstanding what guilds are really for. Each and every guild will have a selection of pvp decks that players can check out and play with with their friends / other guild members. This way if you join a guild you will always be able to play pvp (even competitive decks) without ever paying a dime. What you do have to pay for is the buy-in for the official tournaments. Some of those tournaments will have gold/platinum only buy-ins, while others will require you to have a full deck as well, but make no mistake, that is part of the requirement to play in the tournament, not a requirement to play against a human opponent.

nrflorencio
06-03-2013, 06:21 AM
To answer your question ill tell you of an episode of about 20 years ago.
I played MTG back then, with a very limited budget.

One day, in a conversation with a more endowed friend who also played he said about the game, and i quote "i have the cards, i just dont have ideas".

He spent alot more money than i did, he had alot more cards. Still, i managed to stay competitive.

So... Is it pay 2 win??
Well, if you get more cards you can get an advantage... But the way you use the cards and you construct your decks matters ALOT!!!

Krenos
06-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Pay2Win means you can buy items of power to give you an advantage over other players. This is not how Hex works.
A TCG 'seems' to be Pay2Win only because those who crack packs will have the better selection of cards.

You can play Free but it will take you longer to achieve what someone else can do buying packs. But it still can be done.

Rapkannibale
06-03-2013, 06:23 AM
The PvP part of this game follows the same model established by physical trading card games since Magic. You get cards by buying booster packs. As such the PvP part is generally speaking Pay to Play. However you can trade PvE stuff you get for PvP cards, provided there are people interested in trading PvP cards for PvE content.

Skylmt
06-03-2013, 06:26 AM
I think Cory said in the angry joe show that u can sell pve card or equipment for platinum on the ah which mean u can get booster for new cards

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 06:30 AM
I think Cory said in the angry joe show that u can sell pve card or equipment for platinum on the ah which mean u can get booster for new cards

The thing is, as Rapkannibale and I said, that you can offer PvE cards for gold/platinum but you are dependant on the other players buying them.
The game will not offer PvP stuff for gold and there won't be in-game vendors that buy your PvE stuff for platinum.

~

WSzaboPeter
06-03-2013, 06:30 AM
As long as there will be no cards that you add to any deck and make that deck better, it is not pay-to-win. Black Lotus or the Mox cards where such cards in the long forgotten history of MTG. If such cards would exist their price on the AH would skyrocket, and turn HEX into pay-to-win. But CZE is the guarantee no such thing will happen.

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 06:31 AM
But CZE is the guarantee no such thing will happen.
Edwin, Thrall and Malfurion beg to differ.
Just taunting, they'll get it right in HEX :)

~

krizzis
06-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Thx all for responce. And exuse me for bad termin p2w.
Im understand now

jai151
06-03-2013, 06:33 AM
As long as there will be no cards that you add to any deck and make that deck better, it is not pay-to-win. Black Lotus or the Mox cards where such cards in the long forgotten history of MTG. If such cards would exist their price on the AH would skyrocket, and turn HEX into pay-to-win. But CZE is the guarantee no such thing will happen.

They can have power cards and not have it be pay to win. They just can't sell singles and say the same.

HyenaNipples
06-03-2013, 06:36 AM
And it seems that the prices are decently reasonable. 2$ for 15 cards is acceptable, even to me at min. wage- as that's about 150 cards at 20$. Add in sales and promotions, and there will be plenty of opportunities to get hefty chunks of PVP cards at fair prices.

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Back in the day, Black Lotus and Mox weren't pricey, people just used them instead of lands :D

Later on they got mythic and pricey, now the number of occurences and the huge player base/collectors is the reason of their price.

Spectral Lotus is better than Black Lotus, but it's PvE only and the supply will be "infinite"

~

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 06:37 AM
And it seems that the prices are decently reasonable. 2$ for 15 cards is acceptable, even to me at min. wage- as that's about 150 cards at 20$. Add in sales and promotions, and there will be plenty of opportunities to get hefty chunks of PVP cards at fair prices.

Tbh I think Shin'hare swarm deck will be a staple in Set1 constructed meta and that it will cost like $20 to buy from the AH.

~

jai151
06-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Spectral Lotus is better than Black Lotus, but it's PvE only and the supply will be "infinite"

~

I'm still up in the air on this. In a single game, no question. But because of the irreversible destruction, you need to produce them at least as fast as you use them to call it strictly better.

LexC
06-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Everyone is so hung up on this concept o Pay2Win and Pay2Play and the correct definision of it! Forget about them!!!

PvE side of the game is free, you do dungeons and raids and unlock new PvE cards as rewards, you build your decks and have fun.

PvP side will require you to buy booster packs (That's just the way TCG works), which can also be bought on the Auction House for Gold (in game currency which you get from PvE) so in theory you could get PvP cards without spending a dime. Competitive side of PvP requires a buy-in in Platinum (which in turn can be bough with real money OR by selling your PvE cards on the Auction House).

What I'm trying to say is, yes you have to spend money to buy PvP cards but you don't have to, it will be harder but you could do it if you play smart.

One last thing, just because you have all the cards in the game doesn't mean you are going to win, you need both luck and skill for that to happen. It's just the way TCG is.

jai151
06-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Everyone is so hung up on this concept o Pay2Win and Pay2Play and the correct definision of it! Forget about them!!!

People are hung up on it because of the connotations. Pay to Win is a black mark on a game, pay to play is not.

wallofomens
06-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Tbh I think Shin'hare swarm deck will be a staple in Set1 constructed meta and that it will cost like $20 to buy from the AH.

~

Please, no... I despise these little thing.. But I guess if it becomes a staple in the meta, then I get to kill more of the little bastards. Bring it on!

jai151
06-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Please, no... I despise these little thing.. But I guess if it becomes a staple in the meta, then I get to kill more of the little bastards. Bring it on!

Weenie rush is a well loved archetype, so get your varmint rifle ready =)

I'm sure we'll also see the Soldier deck come out of the humans and Goblin rush (with the Orcs playing Goblins) from the Orcs.

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 06:53 AM
I'm still up in the air on this. In a single game, no question. But because of the irreversible destruction, you need to produce them at least as fast as you use them to call it strictly better.

If you were properly using a black lotus, you'd have to destroy it also.
Fortunately...no one's that stupid.

Constructed PvP has a price to pay of a decent deck. That would probably cost around 5-30 dollars. If you a deck of all mythics, I'm sure you could pay out the nose for one, but more powerful cards don't necessarily work together, or are just hard to get out in the same game due to cost. (e.g. what is the point of 4x Argus?)

Set 1's going to be a bit heavy on the number of "printed" cards, so I expect the cheaper decks that don't use many in-demand rares/mythics will be closer to the low end of the price range (~5 dollars).

jai151
06-03-2013, 06:55 AM
If you were properly using a black lotus, you'd have to destroy it also.
Fortunately...no one's that stupid.

You're thinking of Blacker Lotus

Hieronymous
06-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Card games like this are pay to compete, not pay to win.

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 06:56 AM
You're thinking of Blacker Lotus

Ah yeah, you're right. :)

Rapkannibale
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
If you are interested in the history of Magic (which I am), Richard Garfield knew how powerful cards like Black Lotus, Moxes, Time Warp, etc where, however he could have never anticipated how popular Magic would become. He imagined that people would on average spend about 30 bucks on cards (which is what regular board games cost at the time). That meant that in any one group of people playing Magic there would maybe be one guy/girl with one Black Lotus or Mox or any other of the power nine. And Richard Garfield was ok with that. However, as it turns out people were buying Magic by the boxes which meant these cards where much more common than expected. :)