View Full Version : Platinum

sprmario2k3
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
How does platinum come into existence?

Cory mentioned that they will sell only three things:

1. Starters
2. Boosters
3. VIP Club

So where does Platinum come from? And what is it used for? Is it purchased? Earned? Is that the currency for exchanging cards in the pvp auction house?

FranzVonG
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
I think that platinum will be sold too, as it is the internal currency for PvP

wallofomens
06-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Bought with real money.

Wombat
06-03-2013, 07:59 AM
They will do it like every other f2p has done it before. You will trade/change $$$ for ingame currency, with that ingame currency you are able to buy 1. 2. 3.
I do not think they will invent a new, revolutionary payment system, because there is no need to and it provides one significant advantage for the company. Because of the change from $$$ to ingame currency, you will sit on the ingame currency until you finally buy something, so there is a time difference. The more significant part will be that after a purchase you will most likely have some scrap money which is to little to buy new stuff with, so you have to trade in more $$$ to make use of the ingame currency you have left over. And so the cycle continues.

sprmario2k3
06-03-2013, 08:05 AM
One if these last stretch goals should give you a few platinum.

So I start in beta with my 155 boosters (king level) and I want to start drafting. I will need to out of pocket $1/ plat to draft? Or sell some discounted boosters on the AH for plat?

sprmario2k3
06-03-2013, 08:09 AM
I have no problem with the business model. He just isn't being very accurate when he is saying they will only sell 3 things. They are actually selling 4 things. Starters, boosters, VIP access and Platinum.

Stok3d
06-03-2013, 08:16 AM
VIP access is essentially boosters. So it is 3x things.

Refugee
06-03-2013, 08:17 AM
I have no problem with the business model. He just isn't being very accurate when he is saying they will only sell 3 things. They are actually selling 4 things. Starters, boosters, VIP access and Platinum.

If you want to get nitpicky they're probably only selling two things: platinum and VIP access (assuming that VIP access isn't bought with platinum). Then you use platinum to get boosters and starters.

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Platinum is just a currency you use to buy those 3 things.
They're selling 3 things: Starters, Boosters, and VIP.

Conversely, you can say they are selling 1 thing, Platinum, but that's silly.

Who cares - this is all semantics.

Punk
06-03-2013, 08:22 AM
VIP access is essentially boosters. So it is 3x things.

Stok3d pretty much nailed it. The VIP is just another way of selling boosters, more or less. There may be other things that come along with it, like VIP only tournaments and what not.. but it is essentially just selling boosters.

Even if they started selling other products or services as more gets implemented into the game, I think the message Cory is giving will still hold true. He is really trying to get across the point that there will be a very, very limited number of game impacting services that they actually sell.

sprmario2k3
06-03-2013, 08:44 AM
It is not really semantics. If you want to buy a lotus garden in the AH, you need to buy currency to do so. They could have made a way to earn platinum. As part of the payout structure of drafts for example.

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
It is not really semantics. If you want to buy a lotus garden in the AH, you need to buy currency to do so. They could have made a way to earn platinum. As part of the payout structure of drafts for example.
You can buy stuff with gold, the pve currency that doesn't take money to get, just fyi.

Punk
06-03-2013, 08:55 AM
They could have made a way to earn platinum. As part of the payout structure of drafts for example.

Do we know that it isn't?

Daer
06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Maybe for big tournaments but you won't see Platinum in draft payouts.

Punk
06-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Maybe for big tournaments but you won't see Platinum in draft payouts.

Is this another assumption because MTGO doesn't do it?

sprmario2k3 was stating they "could" of done this, like he was sure they haven't. Assumption.

You're stating that we won't see it in draft payouts, which I am guessing is your comparison to how MTGO does it.

If Cryptozoic only paid out in packs, then they would only be paying out in $2 intervals. What if they wanted to give X place $5? I really see no reason why they can't do this.

EDIT: I am under the assumption that 1 Platinum is equal to $1.

SriSyadasti
06-03-2013, 09:01 AM
@Gwaer - Point may have been that cards like Lotus Garden will likely be too valuable to sell for gold at release, so to make that sort of trade possible someone will first have to buy a good amount of plat from Crypto

sprmario2k3
06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't suppose we really know how it works exactly.

Deathfog
06-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Assumption is based on the little drawings they provide on the website that platinum is definitely a prize for drafts, it and packs would be the primary thing to win. Giving out real money can be tricky, so plat is a good work around for various states and countries.

houjix
06-03-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't suppose we really know how it works exactly.

True wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing.

Punk
06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Assumption is based on the little drawings they provide on the website that platinum is definitely a prize for drafts, it and packs would be the primary thing to win.

Good point. Apparently we also win Starter Decks. lol.

http://hextcg.com/drafting-in-hex/

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/HEX_ASSET_10.jpg

Daer
06-03-2013, 09:40 AM
And real money too even though we can't.

Keznath
06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
And real money too even though we can't.

Why can't we ?

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Why can't we ?
We won't be at release anyway, maybe someday.