PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls beta just went live.

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 10:06 AM
If you're looking for a card game until HEX alpha, $20 from the guy that created minecraft

www.scrolls.com/buy

LexC
06-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Just waiting to get off work and get me some Scrolls :D

Ashenor
06-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Yep got it already.

jai151
06-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Be aware, you may have to do a lot of refreshing to get the store to load

Talreth
Thanks for the update buddy, was waiting on this to come up. Down for a game?

Cotton
Horrible that it doesn't have iOS/android support

Talreth
06-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Horrible that it doesn't have iOS/android support

Still in beta, could get added later.

Madican
06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Meh. Not paying $20 for beta when Notch is involved. Stinks of his previous ploy with Minecraft Alpha, saying that if you bought it then you'd get all the updates for free and there were all kinds of features that'd be in the final version.

In the end he abandoned Minecraft and Jeb was the one who fulfilled those promises. Not Notch.

LexC
06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Be aware, you may have to do a lot of refreshing to get the store to load

I take it it's not a one day sale, I have couple of days to get it if the shop buckles under pressure? :)

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I might try it out, but $20 for a Beta is oddly high for an "indie" game...

But...hell, considering Minecraft took two years to go from alpha to "release," Hex might even be out before this game probably goes "live".

Cotton
06-03-2013, 11:13 AM
They want you to buy it now for PC, so in 2 months you'll dbl dip for iOS. Ill just wait it out

RobHaven
06-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I might try it out, but $20 for a Beta is oddly high for an "indie" game...

But...hell, considering Minecraft took two years to go from alpha to "release," Hex might even be out before this game probably goes "live".

I'm a little confused why this game is $20 to begin with...and it has microtransactions, to boot.

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm a little confused why this game is $20 to begin with...and it has microtransactions, to boot.

...Reasons.

Madican
06-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Because it worked for Notch before and he's banking on it working again.

Khazrakh
06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Buy Scrolls
Loading store…

That's all I get

jai151
06-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Buy Scrolls
Loading store…

That's all I get

F5 is your friend

Khazrakh
06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
F5 is your friend

Nah...no luck so far :(

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 12:06 PM
F5 is your friend

Scrolls is clearly stealing ideas from the Hex KS.

jai151
06-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Nah...no luck so far :(

It took me a good 40-45 minutes of refreshing before it loaded

alpha5099
06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Does anyone have any impressions on Scrolls so far? I've got enough of a hankering for a digital card game, I would definitely consider giving this a shot, but $20 is a bit more than I'm willing to spend if I'm going in without hearing more about the game. Watching some of the streams on Twitch, it looks promising.

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have any impressions on Scrolls so far? I've got enough of a hankering for a digital card game, I would definitely consider giving this a shot, but $20 is a bit more than I'm willing to spend if I'm going in without hearing more about the game. Watching some of the streams on Twitch, it looks promising.

It's alright, I've never really cared for lane defense games in general, but I'm trying to give it a solid try while waiting on the Hex stream.

Corpselocker
06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Never a good sign when you have to spend an hour refreshing a game to spend money...

Shrennan
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I just find the idea that you need to pay $20 to just play the game itself when the game is based on a TCG, which is a money-sink all on its own, to be very conflicting with the type of game Scrolls is. It's a very bad sign that the game could turn into a money wormhole.

Regardless, the game looks interesting but I'm a one TCG man. That TCG for me is Hex. If I even considered two, then SolForge would be next on my list - not Scrolls.

Stok3d
06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Thnx for the head's up. For me, no way I'll get involved in another TCG atm. I looked at a little video, it reminded me of Heroes of Might & Magic.

Evilgm
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Does anyone have any impressions on Scrolls so far? I've got enough of a hankering for a digital card game, I would definitely consider giving this a shot

It's not a card game. There are certainly cards, but the reality is that it's a Heroes of Might and Magic style hex combat game. The cards simply represent the chosen method for determining what you can summon in a game.

Boojum
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I just find the idea that you need to pay $20 to just play the game itself when the game is based on a TCG, which is a money-sink all on its own, to be very conflicting with the type of game Scrolls is. It's a very bad sign that the game could turn into a money wormhole.

Well, they're making the right noises (http://scrolls.com/2013/06/lets-talk-shop) about how the in-game money will work. Packs are sold only with in-game gold earned through matches (5.5 multiplayer matches averages enough to buy a booster pack), and not available with the premium currency. All you can buy with the premium currency are extra starter decks and a random selection of 6 singles per week. So it's closer to a typical video game model with an up-front purchase and optional extras. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be considering it, since I feel the same way about supporting multiple TCGs at once.

TheDiv
06-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Loading store...

I don't think they want my money.

g11d
06-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Played Scrolls for a couple hours tonight. I'm not a big fan of the lane defence games, coupled with a TCG its so-so. You don't have to put another dime into it as everything can be bought with in game gold and that can be earned by playing the game. Ultimately I don't have the patience to try and learn another TCG while my mind reels with all the Hex coming at me daily, I cannot bear the wait!!!

AstaSyneri
06-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Finally got into the store and then only had enough time left to fit the tutorial game in.

Obviously it doesn't compare to what Hex is promising us, but as a diversion for some quick games it looks okay. At least for me it was fun and I look forward to playing it more until Hex is upon us.

WSzaboPeter
06-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Obviously it doesn't compare to what Hex is promising us, but as a diversion for some quick games it looks okay. At least for me it was fun and I look forward to playing it more until Hex is upon us.

Scolls is definitely not in the same league with HEX. But good fun until HEX alpha starts.

FranzVonG
06-04-2013, 03:09 AM
Fun, "simple" (as mechanics, not difficulty) game that could keep me busy as I wait for HEX. Add me guys, same nickname as here.

Willzyx
06-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Whatever you do, don't pick the "cerebral" deck as your starter. You won't be able to win a damn thing until you can grind out training to replace some useless cards (e.g. Enchant creature to generate a resource when it dies... Why not just sacrifice the card instead?). The deck has some neat tricks but without fixing your deck you'll never get to execute them before the more powerful decks shut you down. Worthless.

TheDiv
06-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Whatever you do, don't pick the "cerebral" deck as your starter. You won't be able to win a damn thing until you can grind out training to replace some useless cards (e.g. Enchant creature to generate a resource when it dies... Why not just sacrifice the card instead?). The deck has some neat tricks but without fixing your deck you'll never get to execute them before the more powerful decks shut you down. Worthless.

Yeah so I picked that deck. Sometimes the draw works well and I smash it out, other times I get useless draws that just put me in a undesirable position. Hopefully once I get some more scrolls from the store I can start making a better deck xD

WSzaboPeter
06-04-2013, 05:52 AM
I recommend Growth (green) deck for starters, it's easy to learn the ropes with it, and you can do most easy trials with it quite easily. :)
My nick in Scrolls is Wyr. (In CZE I can't use because of the 5+ character nick limit).

Talreth
06-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Yeah I started out as cerebral then just said fuck it and dropped 5 bucks on the growth starter :c

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Scolls is definitely not in the same league with HEX. But good fun until HEX alpha starts.

I just realized friend, that you will have a total of 5 PvE exclusive Void Marauders, would you be willing to part with one? <3

Shrennan
06-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Well, they're making the right noises (http://scrolls.com/2013/06/lets-talk-shop) about how the in-game money will work. Packs are sold only with in-game gold earned through matches (5.5 multiplayer matches averages enough to buy a booster pack), and not available with the premium currency. All you can buy with the premium currency are extra starter decks and a random selection of 6 singles per week. So it's closer to a typical video game model with an up-front purchase and optional extras. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be considering it, since I feel the same way about supporting multiple TCGs at once.

Oh, that's definitely not as bad as I thought. I may give it a try but I really just want to play Hex. =P

FranzVonG
06-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Only problem, the game looks quite boring after a while.. maybe I'm just not lucky, but with 2 packs and 5 boosters I still have to see a different card from those of the starter deck

WSzaboPeter
06-04-2013, 07:30 AM
maybe I'm just not lucky, but with 2 packs and 5 boosters I still have to see a different card from those of the starter deck

You are extremely unlucky I guess. (And don't buy scrolls by one, buy them in packs of 10).

Mugaaz
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
I don't understand how you can charge $20 for a game that's designed to sell packs. Its one or the other, not both. Or, at the very least the $20 should give me $20 in store credit. Imagine if downloading MTGO cost $20 and you got zero tickets for that. The concept is absolutely insane.

BKCshah
06-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I went Order/Cerebral. I haven't done much in the Ranked games. I've finished the Easy challenges. Fortunately there was a second Royal Vanguard in the store. Other than that, I haven't gotten a ton of great cards. In packs, I've gotten 27 growth, 27 energy, 16 order. I'm tempted to save for the other pre-con decks.

I'm enjoying it. Games drag out a bit too much when playing a human. That's probably my biggest issue. Achievements similar to DOC (not as many but a minor boost would be kind of nice).

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Is there trading in-game yet, or is it like DOTC where you can't trade any of the cards you open?

BKCshah
06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
You are buying a game. Once you have bought the game, it is unnecessary to spend any cash. You may if you like, but it is not required. I have no issues with the model.

If you have friends in the game (I don't), then you could probably make a pretty competitive deck more quickly by sharing cards - something not possible in DOC or many other F2P games that discourage trading to sell individual packs.

EDIT: think there is trading. haven't tried yet. There's at least a trade option that pops up if you click on someones name :P

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 08:19 AM
I stopped playing DOTC after 3 days because of how terrible the grind was...

WSzaboPeter
06-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I don't understand how you can charge $20 for a game that's designed to sell packs. Its one or the other, not both. Or, at the very least the $20 should give me $20 in store credit. Imagine if downloading MTGO cost $20 and you got zero tickets for that. The concept is absolutely insane.
You can't buy boosters with real money, only ingame gold, and that needs to be grinded. You can buy starters and cosmetic items with real money and 6 random cards each week.

Omniloathe
06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Its one or the other, not both. Or, at the very least the $20 should give me $20 in store credit.

Why?

The is no basis or justification whatsoever for this sentiment. You get a certain amount of value/utility when you pay $20, you get extra value when you pay more. How is this difficult to take in?

TheMuffMuff
06-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Are there any key sites for scrolls?
i don't own a creditcard :/

edit: facepalm- reading ftw... haha problem solved...

Liokae
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM

Did you not gather from the original Minecraft model that Notch is a cashwhore?

Avedecus
06-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah, this game isn't worth $20, and I seriously regret wasting the money. At the very least, that amount ought to get you all three starter decks.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I've found it an amusing distraction, after I managed to get enough gold to buy a deck other than order =/ god that it sucked starting with that one.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
How's the gameplay? Similar to Might and magic DOTC?

How much time did it take to get a booster/2nd starter?

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
There are more lanes, and you only have to protect three of them, so you can ignore two without any penalty, the monsters keep swinging and doing nothing in those lanes. Otherwise it's kind of similar I guess to MMDOTC.

took several hours to get another deck, but if I had a deck I liked and was worthwhile probably could have done it faster. Just don't pick order, energy and wild are both pretty alright.

Refugee
06-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Gameplay is pretty typical lane combat with movement. Basically you place a unit, it has a timer, when the timer expires it attacks whatever is across from it. If there is nothing across it hits your opponents idols (basically life points). You can move each unit once each turn on a hex grid.

Probably can get a booster every hour or so depending what you're doing though personally I prefer to get the faction specific individual cards (you get less cards but they're for the faction you're playing). If you wanted to collect all the cards at once boosters are the way to go though.

Honestly not terribly impressed with the game. It doesn't really do anything terribly new, isn't very deep strategically (although there are multiple possible strats) and after only one day of playing I have nearly all the cards of my chosen faction. So probably after a week you'd have every card. It's got ranked play which is always nice but don't know what you'd do beyond that after the first week.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Ah, I was hoping it would be a bit deeper than that.

Sounds like...the polar opposite of Minecraft in complexity.

Maybe I'll give it a shot if it ever drops into the $5-10 range.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Gameplay is pretty typical lane combat with movement. Basically you place a unit, it has a timer, when the timer expires it attacks whatever is across from it. If there is nothing across it hits your opponents idols (basically life points). You can move each unit once each turn on a hex grid.

Probably can get a booster every hour or so depending what you're doing though personally I prefer to get the faction specific individual cards (you get less cards but they're for the faction you're playing). If you wanted to collect all the cards at once boosters are the way to go though.

Honestly not terribly impressed with the game. It doesn't really do anything terribly new, isn't very deep strategically (although there are multiple possible strats) and after only one day of playing I have nearly all the cards of my chosen faction. So probably after a week you'd have every card. It's got ranked play which is always nice but don't know what you'd do beyond that after the first week.
^ Yea, what he said.

I'd probably just say... Meh, though. if 20 is a lot of money to you, don't bother, if it's not, then... bother? If you like lane defense. Which I have decided I don't really =/

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 03:53 PM
$20 isn't a lot to me, but I'd rather not throw money down on a game I don't like, when there's so many that I'd rather try out.

TheMuffMuff
06-04-2013, 03:56 PM
The idea of Scrolls isn't bad but imo it's very unbalanced.
Played 8 games with the "Knight" deck, 5 lost because of the green deck :S

Are there any options to refund the game? cause its true, 15€ isnt worth it

(feels like a ingame purchase ios/android app...)

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
You probably can refund it through your credit card, if you paid with one.

averagedog
06-04-2013, 04:24 PM
if you do a charge back, then Mojang will probably ban your account and you will also lose access to minecraft if you do have minecraft. Keep in mind that a Chargeback is like a big !@#$ YOU to the developer and they can and most likely will respond in kind since you have rudely taken back the money that is stated cannot be refunded through them in their TOS and in the store itself.

As for Scrolls itself. I tried it out. It feels very unbalanced currently, but hey its beta. I also recently found out they plan on adding a 4th resource soon, which should come with more cards and subsequently more variety. Right now it feels kinda lackluster... Growth decks feel the most overpowered by far.

Temig
06-04-2013, 04:24 PM
You probably can refund it through your credit card, if you paid with one.

Note that filing a chargeback with your credit card company fraudulently (you got what you paid for.... "I don't like it" with software typically doesn't cut it) and Mojang fights the chargeback, it could negatively effect your credit. Try contacting their customer service directly to see if they'll budge, but I'm pretty sure they're under no obligation to.

Regarding the Order deck... That's the one I picked and I love it. It's a little slow, and the burn deck can dish out some pain, but I'm 5-2 with the deck so far including an amazingly good game vs another player with an order deck that I lost by the skin of my teeth.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
I doubt that's how it will go down, when I bought it my bank called me to see if it was even legit, no one trusts swedes. Also, I was not talking about chargebacks, lots of credit cards have money back guarantee's for anything you buy in addition to standard warranty's and such. Mine does, anyway.

KingBlackstone
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
I pretty much hate Notch, so I'll pass.

djlowballer
06-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Not a bad little game. The tutorial was fun and I was impressed at how much more polished the gameplay is compared to the initial releases of minecraft.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Well, this is Beta.
Minecraft was "pre-Alpha"/Alpha...and written in Java.

djlowballer
06-04-2013, 11:09 PM
What credit card and bank? Because I have yet to find a card that refunds you because you didn't like something.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/04/12/eight-forgotten-credit-card-perks
#2 return protection

djlowballer
06-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah I know about that but games and digital products are always excluded since you have to give the items to the creditor. If you card lets you refund digital purchases and keep them I want to know the issuing bank because I am opening a card today.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Amazon refunded me for Mass Effect 3... :)

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Mine is called american express premium return protection. I'm sure if you use something called google, you can find a plan that'll work for you. You don't pay enough for me to be your personal finance manager. I assume you're trying to be smart thinking that these things don't exist, but you're actually just being obnoxious by not searching online for 30 seconds, before arguing about it.

AstaSyneri
06-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Not a bad little game. The tutorial was fun and I was impressed at how much more polished the gameplay is compared to the initial releases of minecraft.

Yeah, I agree. It has an entirely different scope from Hex of course, but it worked well - as a small stand-alone game. Getting the gold to really get the collection pat is going to take a while, and I am pretty confident I'll drop Scrolls as soon as the Hex beta is running, but in the meantime it's a nice way to get my brain working in "CCG mode" again. ;-)