PDA

View Full Version : Merging RL + DC - pros and cons, and how to do it?

jaxsonbateman
06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Hi folks,

So if I fail to snipe a GK, I'm thinking I'll add an RL tier to my already-pledged DC tier (after realising how few RLs there will likely be compared to how many players the game might have, it seems like a great way to get invited to groups). However, I'm not sure if the better option is to merge the two, or keep them separate.

As far as I can tell, the pro to merging the two is that I'll have a single account, meaning PvE gameplay will be much easier (ie. I won't have to unlock mercs for my raid account and my single player account), and overall management will also be easier (I won't have to keep trading cards between the two accounts in order to use the same decks). I'll still get 4 copies of the kickstarter cards (due to the 2 tiers + 2 +1 bonuses), which is a big factor in its favour (if I were to only get 2 by merging there's no way I'd merge).

The con, as far as I can tell, is that I'll only get the one free draft per week. This is of course not ideal; the extra ~156 packs a year from keeping the accounts separate would be awesome, but I have to weigh that up against being able to consolidate my PvE time into one single account.

Have I missed any pros or cons there? And what do people think about merging vs keeping them separate?

Also, is there any word on how to actually do it?

Thanks for any help,

Jax

larryhl
06-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Everyone who's not looking at 2+ PP tiers are in the same boat with the free drafts for a year not stacking. I'm trying to decide how to make this work as well. Right now I'm thinking two separate accounts, with Collector being purely for AH and trading over the exclusives and other cards/equipment I want to my DC account.

I wish I had a GK so I wouldn't have to think about this issue lol.

ForgedSol
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Collector is easy to keep separate. If I had to choose. But with DC and RL that's a bit more tricky. I think I'd want them merged too because it just seems to make sense to have a "complete" PvE character like that. With that said, a reason you might want to keep them separate is if you're going to have two accounts anyway if you are the type of person that might want to have multiple accounts for the either/or situations. (Like the giant squirrels vs dinosaurs situation he mentioned in the AngryJoe video.)

And as I understand it, to merge them all you have to do is email Cryptozoic after the kickstarter is over, and they'll get that changed.

theradol
06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
imo(i dont know the stance on multiple accounts) I would keep them separate if you could.

Not just for the draft for a year on each, but also for the fact that equipment and cards are both tradeable, so it shouldn't be too difficult to pass your stuff back and forth. Raid on the rl and dungeon on the dc.

The Loss will be that you will have to clear stuff once on your RL account, and that champion will probably be under leveled.

But as a benefit, you would be able to have a reason for playing more then one champ and youll be able to make different decisions (squirrels on one account dinos on the other).

theradol
06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Collector is easy to keep separate. If I had to choose. But with DC and RL that's a bit more tricky. I think I'd want them merged too because it just seems to make sense to have a "complete" PvE character like that. With that said, a reason you might want to keep them separate is if you're going to have two accounts anyway if you are the type of person that might want to have multiple accounts for the either/or situations. (Like the giant squirrels vs dinosaurs situation he mentioned in the AngryJoe video.)

And as I understand it, to merge them all you have to do is email Cryptozoic after the kickstarter is over, and they'll get that changed.

dang, you brought up the squirrels first.

nicosharp
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Keep the accounts separate. You lose over $400 of potential retail value by merging.

ForgedSol
06-03-2013, 12:34 PM
A huge con is that you can't use the same deck for raids and dungeons without having to trade to yourself first unless you build two copies of that same deck. Maybe you won't use the whole exact same deck if you are tailoring your raid deck to be more synergistic with whoever you're raiding with, but you'll still need two copies of every card that overlaps.

If you have fun designing decks, it might be fun designing a totally different deck that works around that restriction. But if that's just an inconvenience, then merging is better.

larryhl
06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Don't think building 2 decks is really a huge con lol. But I love deckbuilding so maybe it's just me.

I would like to get an official response on how one person with multiple accounts is going to be viewed though. It would be pretty terrible getting banned because the system views you as exploiting the game if you trade to an account too often.

Edit: so much editing going on lol.

Tyrfang
06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Don't think building 2 decks is really a huge con lol. But I love deckbuilding so maybe it's just me.

The problem is you can't share cards in the decks like you would if you had one account.

jaxsonbateman
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I was thinking if I kept the accounts separate I'd just trade the cards and equipment I needed between accounts when I went to use one or the other. How much of a pro or con that is depends on how easy it is to trade a mass of cards though.

nicosharp
06-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I was thinking if I kept the accounts separate I'd just trade the cards and equipment I needed between accounts when I went to use one or the other. How much of a pro or con that is depends on how easy it is to trade a mass of cards though.

I dont think it will be a big hassle jax. I will be trading most of my wives collector stash to me, and leaving her with 1 set of the exclusives, and the starter decks.. then trade commons as needed. She doesn't really care about any of it, and will rarely play as it is. I just wanted full sets. So she is my mule.

larryhl
06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
To go back to my previous post, I just want to make sure that mass trading like this won't be triggering the exploit flags. Especially if I plan to use one account purely for AH.

Turtlewing
06-03-2013, 01:13 PM
My recommendation would be to merge simply because while CZE has officially said they will merge multiple pledges, they have not officially stated that they will tolerate multiple accounts per person, and some of their policies (unique payment method per account, analytics to detect VIOP farming, etc.) imply that they may take a dim view of one player having two accounts.

Turtlewing
06-03-2013, 01:15 PM
To go back to my previous post, I just want to make sure that mass trading like this won't be triggering the exploit flags. Especially if I plan to use one account purely for AH.

They haven't told us (nor are they likely to) what their analytics will use to flag potential exploiters.

ForgedSol
06-03-2013, 01:18 PM
My recommendation would be to merge simply because while CZE has officially said they will merge multiple pledges, they have not officially stated that they will tolerate multiple accounts per person, and some of their policies (unique payment method per account, analytics to detect VIOP farming, etc.) imply that they may take a dim view of one player having two accounts.

I don't think they can officially endorse multiple accounts.

What they don't want to see is people abusing the system to the extend of using bots on multiple accounts with VIP access to keep the prices of boosters low. They also cannot endorse the use of a single account by multiple people because if anything goes wrong, it has to be your fault, but they may overlook occasional use if it's all in good fun (like letting a friend check out the game, or a kid or whatever.) Multi-boxing raids, I have no idea about. (I can't see how that can be that bad of a thing, but maybe it is.)

However, I have absolutely no doubts that they won't care if someone has different aliases that someone uses one at a time.

Clearly stating that you have to have different credit cards to purchase anything on different accounts, and purposefully not stating that having multiple accounts in and of itself in that reply is forbidden (that I unfortunately cannot source because I don't remember the thread) is clear enough for me that having aliases used one at a time is no problem.

Turtlewing
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't think they can officially endorse multiple accounts. But what they don't want to see is people abusing the system to the extend of using bots on multiple accounts with VIP access to keep the prices of boosters low. They also cannot endorse the use of a single account by multiple people because if anything goes wrong, it has to be your fault, but they may overlook occasional use if it's all in good fun (like letting a friend check out the game, or a kid or whatever.) Multi-boxing raids, I have no idea about. (I can't see how that can be that bad of a thing, but maybe it is.)

However, I have absolutely no doubts that they won't care if someone has different aliases that someone uses one at a time.

Having multiple aliases devalues the PvP ranking system. Hard to say whether they care about that or not. But the safest bet is to not have multiple accounts.

ForgedSol
06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Having multiple aliases devalues the PvP ranking system. Hard to say whether they care about that or not. But the safest bet is to not have multiple accounts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I have little experience with official rankings in MTG and MTGO, but I am under the impression you can have as many accounts in Magic Online as you want. Do people complain that it affects the ranking system over there?

nicosharp
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM

That is not entirely true. If LOL is any example, it doesn't matter how many accounts you have. If you are just playing the same way you always do. You end up in the same place anyway.

Arbiter
06-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Two accounts also lets you attempt the raids with either two decks designed to work together or play two of the three with a mate (assuming untimed raids).

Two accounts means needing to level two characters to 60 before seeing end game with either of them. All while leaving the time for two drafts though. It is a big time commitment. I think in the end choosing one and collector is the better move unless you know you have the time, because making either of them work (getting the full value from both, anyway) requires maximum level characters and mercenaries.

DjiN
06-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Merging a DC with a King is not problematic though? Or am I missing something?

LordRaven
06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Merging a DC with a King is not problematic though? Or am I missing something?

No, DC + King you don't lose anything. Merging 2 of the $250-tiers means losing out on a year of free booster drafts or just about $350 worth of value (3 packs x $2 + $1 entry fee = $7 x 52 = $364)

DjiN
06-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Great thanks! Thinking about adding a DC to my King, will decide after the stream. Not sure how valuable the bonus loot really is. I think it only pays off if you play for a very long time and a lot of PvE. I'm more a PvP player in general, but then theres the 1 year free draft, which is great too. Ahhh so confused :p

LordRaven
06-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I just finished adding a DC to my King before that reply. LOL
I was considering a second King for the 150 boosters and another Spectral Lotus, but when they added the year of drafts to DC I couldn't pass that up...