PDA

View Full Version : Utterly new, need a push to commit

R-A-B
06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
First up. I have never played a card game in my life.
Ever.
Of any kind.

The closest I ever came was picking up a pack of pokemon cards and '52 card pick-up' them around some kids a few years below me in school at about 12-15 years ago because. Well it was amusing at the time.

I knew MTG players and saw them playing a few tables away as I was dice rolling for my own brand of geekdom in Games Workshop. But alas I never got into it, it always seemed a tad too....elitist.

To the point, I keep looking at hex and I keep thinking "I really want to play that". But I'm concerned over the level of familiarity needed to get the most out of the game. As it would be disappointing to not get the MMO aspect of the game down due to being a complete n00b.

So after a bit of a speech. How accessible is Hex going to be for those completely new to card games as a whole?

Deadpool319
06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I think Hex will provide a very comfortable learning experience for new players. On top of that, there are quite a few guilds popping up around the forum (you'll see the images in people's signatures) and I would PM one of them and talk about joining. I'm sure there is a guild that would be happy to show a new guy the ropes.

Hope to see you in-game!

IndigoShade
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, I would wager that with the single player "PvE" story mode, there's never been a more accessible TCG than HEX. Whether you will actually enjoy playing the game or not I can't answer for you.

larryhl
06-03-2013, 02:03 PM
You may want to try playing an actual TCG first. I recommend a TCG like Pokemon, Kaijudo, Yu-Gi-Oh, or Magic where a local game store near you should most likely be able to set you up as a new player (even may have a loaner deck for you). If you find you just don't like TCGs, then Hex won't be for you as much as you might like the story.

Aurorah
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
The PvE side is going to introduce you to most mechanics you'll need to know about the game, and you can take your time wading into the tournament side of PvP with practice vs guild-mates decks and casual PvP.

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
If you're used to games workshop, probably some board games too, you'll fit just fine.

~

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
The PvE side is going to introduce you to most mechanics you'll need to know about the game, and you can take your time wading into the tournament side of PvP with practice vs guild-mates decks and casual PvP.

Once he's done with PvE, he should watch replays/streams to understand how good players play :)

~

TheWrathofShane
06-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Well you can play for free at launch, or you can drop 20 dollars and get in the beta (possibly early alpha). along with some great value things.

This is going to be a great game either way, and the story mode will teach you everything you need to know about How to Play.

MugenMusou
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
My first TCG was called Eye of Judgment on PS3 that was like 5-6 years ago. Until then despite I had occasional interest in TCG, I never tried one. Once I played it, it was better than what I had imagined in terms of fun I had, and worse than I imagined in terms of addition.

Since then I have tried several others but none gave me the excitement and joy as much as I had with EOJ. Now with HEX, I am actually enjoying it as much if not more than EOJ even though I haven't even played the game yet. So my point is if you have an interest in TCG, I think you would fall in love with it.

As far as ease of access, this game will not be the easiest TCG because its not shallow but it is probably the best one to start as a new, and continue as a veteran. The PvE mode was already mentioned to guide you step by step for even those never played TCG. The core of this game is so close to the Magic, it basically has the mechanics that allows everything that Magic can do and more (being digital) so you can continue play this game even after you learn about TCG.

You can think this as Magic with step by step guidance (PvE), and no overwhelming number of cards (10,000+).
You can think this as hardcore version of Pokemon. Once you learn the rules, and play, you won't feel the game is limited because of its fundamental design. It can continue to evolve without limitation because of its design.

Black_Omega
06-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I would give MTGO a quick shot to see what it is like.. Hex won't be like it, but it will give you a very general idea of what it's about (I think a starter account is 9$?).

There is abit of everything for everyone in Hex. If you want to pledge, but aren't sure about it I wouldn't suggest dumping a ton of money into it through the KS if you are doing it solely for the cards / perks / etc... King would be the best bang for your buck, and you will get enough at the start to get a good feel of the game.

CoolGrayAJ
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Shadow Era (http://www.shadowera.com/content.php) is a great place to start. It's a free game that gets you acclimated to the basic mechanics of any card game, and can be played right on your browser.

The aforementioned games are fine, but requires you to actually buy cards, or find someone with a pre-existing deck. In terms of learning TCGs in a digital space, Shadow Era is probably the best starting point.

larryhl
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Shadow Era (http://www.shadowera.com/content.php) is a great place to start. It's a free game that gets you acclimated to the basic mechanics of any card game, and can be played right on your browser.

The aforementioned games are fine, but requires you to actually buy cards, or find someone with a pre-existing deck. In terms of learning TCGs in a digital space, Shadow Era is probably the best starting point.

Ooohhhh...think I'm going to take a look.

Rapkannibale
06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I think it was in the Angry Joe interview that Cory said that the PvE experience will finally allow them to properly teach a TCG even to people who have never played one. It seems accessibility and tapping a new audience is big on CZE's list. So I think you will be fine. :)

Moondancer
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Its been stated that there will be an extensive tutorial with i think a free tournament entry at the end of it to try and get people into that side of it. I could be wrong but i think it was mentioned in one of the interviews.

Fireblast
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Its been stated that there will be an extensive tutorial with i think a free tournament entry at the end of it to try and get people into that side of it. I could be wrong but i think it was mentioned in one of the interviews.

it was :)
You're supposed to get to test "Booster Draft" at some point in the PvE campaign.

~

R-A-B
06-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Went in at the knight level in the end. Seemed like, as most say, "the best bang for buck" and I'm happy to support. Hope to see you all in there.

EdwardBishop
06-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I knew MTG players and saw them playing a few tables away as I was dice rolling for my own brand of geekdom in Games Workshop. But alas I never got into it, it always seemed a tad too....elitist.

Sorry to be a bit off topic here but I just had to say, this is ironic because I had the opposite experience from the MTG players side, my MTG playing-crowd and I always found the Games Workshop folks to be quite the elitist ones... funny how that works out on both sides, any-who...

Back on topic, I genuinely think this will be a unique enough game that those completely new to TCGs can pick it up, and especially learn it in the PvE environment without ever having to deal with the competitive metagame (as in MtG:Online) and can thus have a lot more fun with it right off the bat...