PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Idea I am stoked about!!!

dogmod
06-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Dungeon Idea I am stoked about!!!!

Name: Whatsyors Ismines

Concept: The basic principle would be a multibranching dungeon much like what we have seen up till now with mad wizard/mage at the end. He has cast a spell over the mine that he decided to build his laboratory in that cause you after each battle to lose the cards in your graveyard (for this specific dungeon only) but to gain the card in your defeated foes graveyard.

Now for each battle not only are you thinking about the current battle but you are also thinking about the next battle, and the next battle etc. If I use this instant this game and lose it for the next battles how will that affect my overall dungeon strategy? Also you have the big thoughts on what are the shards that my opponent is using? Obviously throughout the dungeon there will be opponents of differing colors and this could impact greatly whether you decided to go down multiple paths, straight shot, go left/right etc.

Interesting play dynamics: Do I kill my opponent this turn or try and get his awesome creature that is on the board into his graveyard first so that I get it for the rest of the dungeon? Do I risk losing for that creature? What if he puts some of my cards into my GY that I need? What if you are facing a milling opponent?

Forces players to manage a multishard deck. Gives players an opportunity to play with perhaps some OP cards but in a way that it will be hard for them to build degenerate combos as they are constantly gaining/losing cards.

A variant could be that if you beat the opponent on an odd turn you swap GYs, but an even turn you keep yours... (I like just the always swap idea)

It could result in a different playthrough each time you go through the dungeon, lets players play with new cards, brings in a really cool element of deckbuilding after each fight and perhaps makes your sideboards very important, and it makes the already interesting decisions about direction through dungeons which are now mostly influenced by Loot/deaths become further complicated by deckbuilding decisions..

I love it, any comments or ideas?

I posted on another thread but decided to make it its own because I am pretty stoked (as per title :) )

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
inb4 st0k3d says he is too =/

dogmod
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Not my fault he stole one of my more favoritest words ;/

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
I really like the concept though, nice job =)

dogmod
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM
I really like the concept though, nice job =)

Thanks ;)

Gen91
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Sounds awesome, but something should change treshhold of the cards you get,
or you must be able to change your ressources.

dogmod
06-03-2013, 02:55 PM

I was thinking that you could change your resources, from match to match. I didn't say it but good thinking :)

jai151
06-03-2013, 02:58 PM

It's a mad scientist. Just make all opposing decks artifact

dogmod
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
It's a mad scientist. Just make all opposing decks artifact

I had a thought about making it an artifact dungeon, but then you remove some of the deckbuilding element. Balancing multiple shards, potentially having to play a 3 or 4 or 5 even shard deck if you mismanage your graveyard or you take a turn down the wrong alley in the dungeon. If it got it into the game I would be fine with an artifact dungeon but I think the challenge of managing multiple shards would really put it over the top.

Gregzilla
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Escalation cards would be great in a dungeon like this, since, if not milled, they get shuffled into your deck.

dogmod
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Escalation cards would be great in a dungeon like this, since, if not milled, they get shuffled into your deck.

Agreed, or countered. Another interesting deckbuilding option as you enter the dungeon.

Stok3d
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Not my fault he stole one of my more favoritest words ;/

lol... Gwaer--you are to smart for your own good :p

dogmod
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I think another great dungeon mechanic would be someway making effects that are "permanent" in a single game permanent throughout the dungeon.. Inspire, rage, some of the green cards, some of the black -1/-1s... so you are sort of leveling up your cards as you go through while the counter decks may be trying to level you down etc.. Escalation ?

dogmod
06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Another dungeon Idea I would really love:

One that would challenge the preconceived notion that any deck with more than 60 cards is bad/stupid etc due to probablity and need to link up your combos...

Make a dungeon where you deck never resets. Your deck/GY are persistent throughout the dungeon which would basically force you to build a deck of greater than 60 cards especially if you planned to go off the beaten path..

Dungeons with persistent life totals.. makes losing life to gain cards not such a great idea... makes life gain spells more powerful than they usually are..

Basically I love ideas that incorporate some novel deck building mechanic, or some persistence that changes deckbuilding/strategy/thoughtprocess, or any challenge to preconceived notions of "optimal play"..

You shouldn't be able to bring the same deck to every dungeon and have even the slightest chance of beating them all.

dogmod
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Cool achievements for some of the dungeon ideas:

Finish Watsyors Ismine without a single card from you original deck.
Finish Watsyors Ismine with at least 3 cards and 3 resources of every shard in your final deck.
Finish Watsyors Ismine with at least 50% of your original deck

Finish {insertnameofpersistentdeckdungeon} with less than 5 cards remaining in your deck
Finish {insertnameofpersistentdeckdungeon} with a starting deck of >100 cards
Finish {insertnameofpersistentdeckdungeon} with a starting deck of 60 cards
Finish {insertnameofpersistentdeckdungeon} with more cards in your deck than in your GY

wallofomens
06-03-2013, 03:43 PM
The mad scientist has genetically modified everyone on the island - that's why no one has any thresholds anymore! I enjoy your idea a lot and Crypto would be silly not to use it at some point. :)

dogmod
06-03-2013, 04:43 PM
The mad scientist has genetically modified everyone on the island - that's why no one has any thresholds anymore! I enjoy your idea a lot and Crypto would be silly not to use it at some point. :)

Thanks man I appreciate the good feedback :) I would be incredibly happy if a single bit of my idea made it into the game

EntropyBall
06-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Seems fair to either let you swap out basic resources between matches, or just know going in that you have to be able to field a multi-color deck. If the dungeon is only 2-3 colors, its pretty reasonable to just expect your initial deck to handle that. Just adds another dimension to the challenge.

Seems like a really cool idea to me as well.

dogmod
06-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Seems fair to either let you swap out basic resources between matches, or just know going in that you have to be able to field a multi-color deck. If the dungeon is only 2-3 colors, its pretty reasonable to just expect your initial deck to handle that. Just adds another dimension to the challenge.

Seems like a really cool idea to me as well.

Yeah either way would be cool... My primary idea was to let you resource swap during the dungeon... It seems like already they have a bunch of dungeons where you are deckbuilding or doing things inbetween rounds so it would seem pretty feasible to let you add resources/change resources between rounds. I prefer this way so that you have to mangage multiple colors and that you open up to the possibility of 5 color or weird combinations to make it work :)

dogmod
06-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Dungeon concept:

Graveyardless Dungeon!

The interesting mechanic in this one would be that you nor your opponent have a graveyard for the length of the dungeon. The necrotic have perverted massive amounts of shard crystals blocking anyone in the vicinity from entering a peaceful eternal sleep. Whenever a troop would leave play to a graveyard it is instead warped by the crystals and the power of the opponent to enter play under the control of the opponent with a -1/-1 fatigue(zombie/wear/ishouldbedead) permanent change. If this reduces the creatures def to 0 then the creature is voided. The perverted shard crystals have also affected spells causing them to be voided instead of placed into the graveyard when cast. (Alternately they could be shuffled into the opponents deck with thresholds removed, or another mechanic not sure on this one but void is my first instinct)

What happens is that trading creatures and combat now have a very interesting dynamic and the flow of the battle can change instantly with a well placed spell or a misstep in combat. And what is worse than facing your own fearsome creature that you thought had won you the battle or better than taking control of your opponents massive beast (I would not have these exchanges be persistent in my vision for the dungeon from battle to battle).

You must reach the end of the dungeon and destory the Malevolent force that has perverted this crystal and the crystal itself to restore order.

-Interesting deckbuilding mechanics of decisions of whether to go balanced, creature heavy, spell heavy. It makes any card that plays out of your graveyard obsolete and could make cards that avoid going to the graveyard very strong for this specific dungeon.

-Really places a focus on combat phase and trades and all of the sudden you may not want to give away a creature with inspire or another interesting ability. You may not even want them in your deck!

RobHaven
06-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Whenever a troop would leave play to a graveyard it is instead warped by the crystals and the power of the opponent to enter play under the control of the opponent with a -1/-1 fatigue(zombie/wear/ishouldbedead) permanent change.

What if the troops you lost didn't come back for the opponent within the game, but instead were all now Blood/Zombie versions of themselves and they were a part of the boss' deck?

dogmod
06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
What if the troops you lost didn't come back for the opponent within the game, but instead were all now Blood/Zombie versions of themselves and they were a part of the boss' deck?

That would be pretty sweet too.. kind of sounds similar to the kraken mechanism but you could twist it to make it intersting :)

dogmod
06-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Dungeon Concept:

Braided Keep

Basically the idea behind this dungeon is a "hostage" rescue mission. You have to get into the keep and rescue Princess Plum. You have to fight your first battle to rescue the princess and from there on out the rest of the battles you start out with Princess Plum in play. She should be something like 0/50 ATK/DEF. And she has card text along the lines of: Invincible. Cannot block or defend. Any damage done to the champion results in a permanent 0/-1 effect on Princess Plum for each point of damage. Any life gained by the champion results in 0/+1 counter on Princess Plum. If at any point Princess Plums health reaches 0 the dungeon is failed. (given the 3 tries I imagine you should be able to replay the last mission after the first 2 fails)

I am slightly buzzed and can't fully flesh out the idea but it plays with life totals as well as puts some focus on life gain cards which at times are viewed as weak and less useful than other cards. Also it has a persistence mechanic that again puts more pressure on the "Should I take a detour or shouldn't I take a detour?".... Also changes the usual win conditions dynamics of "reduce their health before they reduce my health" as you may priortize more winning longer while taking less damage as opposed to winning quicker while taking damage..

She could also have other effects like a rotating inspire or something interesting that gives you a little buff or randomizes the playthrough of the dungeon.

Of course the boss is the wicked witch... or is it the dragon? or is it a turtle with spikes on its shell? Or is it you?

dogmod
06-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Name: Golligun's Island

Dungeon Concept: You are shipwrecked!! You were hired by your faction to help guard a transport ship but enroute were attacked by a mysterious force! (It could be an evil pirate or mischievous tempest spirit or perhaps both?) When you come to you find that you are shipwrecked on a tropical island. But you are not alone! You must rebuild your ship and enhance it with items you can find on the island so that you can make it back to the mainland. The interesting theme of this dungeon is who you decide to ally with, how you decide to rebuild your ship (there are multiple options and depending on which and how many options you get you may have an easier or harder time in the final battle but the battles to "buff" your ship on the way out will be difficult in themselves and you must balance risk vs reward).

Once you have explored the island and rebuilt, upgraded, allied, and tricked out your ship it is time to go back to the mainland but you must make it past the mysterious force that shipwrecked you in the first place, with vengeance on your mind!

- Dungeon has great replayability as you can choose differently each time who to ally with, how to rebuild your ship. You can try and beat every portion of the island to have the ultimate ship on the way out (ultimate board presence or buffs in final boss battle) or you can try and beat the final boss with a beat up schooner that is the minimal ship upgrades and as few allies as possible or anywhere inbetween.

RobHaven
06-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Submitted thread to Crypto via KS. Hoping some staff eyes give a heavy look. In my suggestion, I put more emphasis on the idea generator than the ideas themselves.

EntropyBall
06-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Name: Golligun's Island

Dungeon Concept: You are shipwrecked!! You were hired by your faction to help guard a transport ship but enroute were attacked by a mysterious force! (It could be an evil pirate or mischievous tempest spirit or perhaps both?) When you come to you find that you are shipwrecked on a tropical island. But you are not alone! You must rebuild your ship and enhance it with items you can find on the island so that you can make it back to the mainland. The interesting theme of this dungeon is who you decide to ally with, how you decide to rebuild your ship (there are multiple options and depending on which and how many options you get you may have an easier or harder time in the final battle but the battles to "buff" your ship on the way out will be difficult in themselves and you must balance risk vs reward).

Once you have explored the island and rebuilt, upgraded, allied, and tricked out your ship it is time to go back to the mainland but you must make it past the mysterious force that shipwrecked you in the first place, with vengeance on your mind!

- Dungeon has great replayability as you can choose differently each time who to ally with, how to rebuild your ship. You can try and beat every portion of the island to have the ultimate ship on the way out (ultimate board presence or buffs in final boss battle) or you can try and beat the final boss with a beat up schooner that is the minimal ship upgrades and as few allies as possible or anywhere inbetween.

This sounds like FTL: Shipwreck Edition.

dogmod
06-04-2013, 08:38 AM
This sounds like FTL: Shipwreck Edition.

I have been meaning to get around to playing that :)...

Another thought on how to modify the dungeon: Certain allies aren't really "allies" but dead weight. Do you save the crippled millionaire who gives all of your troops a -1/0 debuff while in play? Do you do it because it is the right thing to do? Or maybe because you want the reward he is offering? (It could be a different reward each time you enter the dungeon meaning that you don't know before hand whether you are going to want to build your deck specifically for his reward) Or perhaps because you are trying to get the achievement for rescuing all of the stranded people?

dogmod
06-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Submitted thread to Crypto via KS. Hoping some staff eyes give a heavy look. In my suggestion, I put more emphasis on the idea generator than the ideas themselves.

More eyes are better :) I hope some other people will jump in and throw out some crazy/cool/silly/stupid ideas :)