PDA

View Full Version : Unique mechanic confirmed - WoWTCG style.

Xenavire
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Considering how much mirrows MTG, how do you think this change will influence the game? It might not seem like a large change, but having a unique card per player in play could make for some very interesting play dynamics.

Imagine two different decks (a blood mill deck, and a sapphire creature theft deck, or something like that) and the sapphire deck manages to steal Uruunaz, only to have the blood deck play another - it could lead to many interesting things. Still not sure if new copies can enter play for the same player etc, someone with WoWTCG knowledge will have to enlighten me on multiple copies for a single player.

larryhl
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
They're the new legend rules for MtG. lol. Going into effect in July.

Lochar
06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
That's annoying. Half the fun of Clone and Mimic is to shut down an opponent's legendary by copying it.

Grissnap
06-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Still not sure if new copies can enter play for the same player etc, someone with WoWTCG knowledge will have to enlighten me on multiple copies for a single player.

You can play another copy of a unique card in play, but when it enters play, you have to immediately choose one of the copies to be destroyed.

Xenavire
06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
You can play another copy of a unique card in play, but when it enters play, you have to immediately choose one of the copies to be destroyed.

Choose? Fine by me. And they come in to play - replicate can cause havoc with come into play effects (Uruunaz for example).

As for MTG changing their rules, thats nothing new - I just don't keep up to date anymore. They are too wishy-washy for me to keep interested, they have pulled all sorts of crap over the years (even before I played). I just hope Hex chooses the best thing they can, and even if its wrong, they stick with it, and make the best of it. We don't want to repeat MTG's mistakes (not saying they made a lot, but they made enough.)

Grissnap
06-03-2013, 06:47 PM
If its using WoW TCG rules, Uruunaz would come into play, the effect from both Uruunazs would go onto the chain (Bury 7 cards, Bury 7 cards), then you would have to choose one of the Uruunaz to destroy. Expensive way to bury cards.

Xenavire
06-03-2013, 06:59 PM
It's just an example, and Uruunaz with replicator would create 6 more I think? And if all of their effects trigger at the same time... We are talking 7x7 cards milled unless I miss my guess. Considering the time it takes to ramp up the resources, and to redraw Uruunaz, that late in the game its a win condition. Would work well in a control/stall blood/sapphire deck, but it is hardly reliable, mostly fun.

But we haven't seen the end of all the uniques yet - there could very well be something incredible for come into play - or 'When this is destroyed', or even both. There were a fair few in MTG I could mention, if I could be bothered remembering them.

RuthlessSqueak
06-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Honestly glad they are going with this version for their unique.

It was always problematic in Magic from a rules perspective. At one point in magic the legendary in play simply automatically buried any of the same name that came into play afterward (or you simply couldn't play the card, this was ambiguous at various times), then it was changed to playing a second copy buried both.

Neither of these was a good solution.

In the first case it became ambiguous whether players could play the second copy and simply bury it, and far more often resulted in a race to the over powered legend in some blocks.

In the second case it created a situation where the best response to a strong legendary card was to run it yourself (further warping the meta game around strong legendary cards with in a block), even if your deck couldn't use it, as it could be used as elimination that could affect even a legend of the same name that was untargettable or otherwise difficult to remove (in fact only being stopped by counterspells once it was entering play if your opponent's copy was already there).

Avedecus
06-03-2013, 08:46 PM
IIRC, MTG was one of the only card games to have that rule for uniques. Almost every other game has used it to simply limit how many of a card can be included in a deck/in play.

Hieronymous
06-04-2013, 05:17 AM
For someone who hasn't played modern M:TG with uniques, what are the rules the original post is referring to? If you cast a Clone it duplicates and wipes the original, basically?