PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Feedback on Hex blog

Grissnap
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi all,

I don't like blatantly promoting things on the forums, so I feel really guilty about making this thread, but I am seeking honest feedback on my latest blog post. I'm trying to work on my writing skills and to find a voice for the articles I write, and I tried something new with this new one(i.e. less lazier than usual). If you happen to have free time and don't care reading about cards that have been spoiled already elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if you gave it a read and post feedback in this post or in the comments.

Thanks in advance:

http://thedailyhexagame.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/hex-shards-of-fate-blood-staple-cards-spoiled/

DjiN
06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Nice someone is putting up a blog.

I guess it could be more HEX themed. Looks a bit plain atm. :)

Also I am more a fan of shorter articles. But thats just me.

theradol
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
i was honestly thinking of starting a blog on hex also.

Grissnap
06-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Nice someone is putting up a blog.

I guess it could be more HEX themed. Looks a bit plain atm. :)

Also I am more a fan of shorter articles. But thats just me.

Yeah super plain... I'd like to make it look better, but that takes time to learn how to do that :)

Good point on the length as well, I did feel it was long. Glad its not just me. Would love to hear how others felt about the length.

Black_Omega
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Looks good. I agree with the other poster saying shorter articles are preferable. However, I guess it can go either way - depending on what information you are conveying. If it can be done in a short article (4-6 paragraphs), great. You want to be able to grab and hold the readers attention.

I would agree that maybe putting up some background or maybe a header regarding Hex. It helps get your blogs main concept across at first glance.

On that note, I did create a Hex community for our Canadian folks. Still HEAVILY under development. Got some information, once registered on the main site there is a live chat system, forum in the background. Still got work to do on it. Link is below!

Grissnap
06-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the helpful feedback so far, I tried making a background. It's not the best, so we'll see how that works. Next step will be to try and shorten article lengths in the future.

Written content wise, any feedback?

Also, blog is looking good BlackOmega.

Qorsair
06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
You're probably trying to do a little too much in one post. If people are reading a post about deck staples, they probably already know how to read the cards. The explanation about how to read the cards would be better as its own separate topic. Try to keep the posts a little more tightly focused.

And most importantly keep it up! You'll only get better with more practice.

wallofomens
06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I like the articles! You should learn how to resize your images. For example the Angel and Kraken's Tentacles images are huge. I'm not sure whether it's on purpose or not, but if not, try resizing them next time, before uploading.

Also, I think the whole graphical design of the blog needs reworking. But that is my opinion, of course.

Hope that helped, keep up the good work. :)

Rapkannibale
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Good introductory post. Keep it up, it's great for the Hex community! :)

Grissnap
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
@wallofomens - Thanks that does help. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, so the whole graphical design is a major point of weakness. I'll just put it back to basic... focus on content for now. Yeah, I'll try to use normal/resizing for images from now on. A couple of those pics are pretty oversized.

Also thanks Qorsair for the feedback on the article. You are right in noticing I was trying to do a lot with one post. My concept was to do a more novice friendly article, that gave new info, and also introduced classic TCG concepts in context. Point taken.