PDA

View Full Version : Socketed cards ARE multicolor cards.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 12:03 AM
I saw in the twitch stream today, around 33:30 video time, they asked one of the devs if their will be multi colored cards.

His answer was not in the first set, but possibly something to visit later.

My first thought was well socketed cards are in fact multicolored cards, and in such a great/unique way as well. You can keep them mono to get a stronger effect for your shard. Or you CAN make them multicolor, to get some powerful abilities from the other shards to enhance the cards.

So because the socket system is so freaking awesome, I feel that they should have 0 multicolor cards and just keep them socket exclusive. And they could even make some actions socketed later and add a socket table for action cards!! So much potential.

So sign and bump if you would like to see the socket feature be the poster boy for design space on multicolor cards!

SacrificialToast
06-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Does socketing gems into cards change the threshold requirement?

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Yes, gotta have threshold from the color of gem you socket into it as well. You can still play the card without it, but it won't get the gems effect until you get it.

wallofomens
06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Nope, you can play the card even if you don't meet the gem's threshold requirement, but it's effect(the gem's effect) won't be active until you do.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 12:13 AM

Yes it does to get the additional effect. Example, you have a major socket card with 3 cost and 1 wild threshold. Keep in mind major socket basically means you can add any gem out their to the 1 socket, minor or major.

If you add a minor or major wild gem to it, you will need at least 1 wild threshold to get the effect. So I misspoke earlier, it does not actually add to the color weight, Ill edit my OP. So basically adding a wild gem to a wild threshold card will always grant the effect, because you already need 1 wild threshold to cast it, which meets the socketed requirement by default.

Now if you add a minor or major sapphire gem to it, you can still cast it if you do not have a sapphire threshold, but you will not get the additional effect. Now when you cast it with a sapphire threshold, then you get the additional effect to the card. So in this way the card becomes multicolor.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Nope, you can play the card even if you don't meet the gem's threshold requirement, but it's effect(the gem's effect) won't be active until you do.

Its like a better version of multicolor I think. Much more freedom and customization.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 12:19 AM
"Each gem will enhance the card it is socketed onto in some way, provided that you control at least one of the shard thresholds that is associated with that gem. If you don’t have that threshold, you can still play your card as normal, but that power won’t activate until you obtain the necessary threshold."

~ So confirmed does not add color weight.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm going to disagree that they're multicolored. Of course, they require the second color to actually live up to their potential, but in terms of Magic (the current, similar game to this) this is more like Kird Ape. Definitely monocolor by technicality sake, but gets a bonus if you run forests, and you generally wouldn't run it without also running forests.

Comparing it to socket cards, you could socket a diamond card with a sapphire gem, put it in a non-sapphire deck, and simple splash a couple sapphire sources to activate the gem, if you really wanted to.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I'm going to disagree that they're multicolored. Of course, they require the second color to actually live up to their potential, but in terms of Magic (the current, similar game to this) this is more like Kird Ape. Definitely monocolor by technicality sake, but gets a bonus if you run forests, and you generally wouldn't run it without also running forests.

Comparing it to socket cards, you could socket a diamond card with a sapphire gem, put it in a non-sapphire deck, and simple splash a couple sapphire sources to activate the gem, if you really wanted to.

Some effects are like kird ape like the wild +1/+1 while others you need it before you cast. Example the sapphire "play this card as a quickaction", or "when this card enters play, draw a card"

Those effects you obviously need a sapphire threshold to use before you cast.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah sure. But that would be like Kird Ape being 2/3 by default and saying "you cannot cast this card unless you control a Forest".

It certainly makes playing the socketed color pretty much mandatory to some degree (either splash the resource or legit play it), but I can't call a card multicolor if only one color can play it - but that's coming from an MTG background, where the rules are firmly set in stone (though Hex would probably not view them as multicolor either).

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Yeah sure. But that would be like Kird Ape being 2/3 by default and saying "you cannot cast this card unless you control a Forest".

It certainly makes playing the socketed color pretty much mandatory to some degree (either splash the resource or legit play it), but I can't call a card multicolor if only one color can play it - but that's coming from an MTG background, where the rules are firmly set in stone (though Hex would probably not view them as multicolor either).

Its kind of like Sedge Troll from alpha. Your right you dont need a swamp to cast sedge troll, but the card is not going to be used unless you have swamps in your deck...

Its my humble opinion but I would rather see more design focus on socked cards, over making pure multicolor cards.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm definitely not disagreeing that they're pointless in a deck without the right threshold (was very careful about wording that - for a sapphire gem the deck doesn't necessarily need to be a deck with sapphire spells, but it does need at least one sapphire resource and probably more), but yeah, for technicality sake pretty sure Hex won't class them as multicolor. Which is fine.

The gems though... in MTG drafting you'll often splash for a solid card like Doom Blade or Lightning Bolt. In Hex, you might even splash just for a gem - and that's an awesome way to splash, because even if you don't draw the right resource you still have a playable card in hand.

I just realised something though - we may have been seriously underrating the white cost +1, +1/+2 gem. If I'm not mistaken, none of the effect will take place if you don't have a diamond threshold. So if you play the card before obtaining that threshold it won't cost you extra, but you'll get the big boost once you do reach that threshold. A gamble, for sure, but it makes it a lot more viable as a splash gem.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 01:40 AM
I just realised something though - we may have been seriously underrating the white cost +1, +1/+2 gem. If I'm not mistaken, none of the effect will take place if you don't have a diamond threshold. So if you play the card before obtaining that threshold it won't cost you extra, but you'll get the big boost once you do reach that threshold. A gamble, for sure, but it makes it a lot more viable as a splash gem.

Yeah it can be like kird ape. But it can also backfire!

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 01:53 AM
For sure. Unless I was actively trying to force a creature into a higher slot on the curve, I'd probably never run it in an *actual* diamond/x deck. I might consider running it in a deck without any diamond cards though, and just include one or two diamond resources that I don't play unless I absolutely need the mana, or the creature is already in play. I could see it pop up from time to time for that reason, though if you wanted to do it for that reason it might just be safer to use wild's +1/+1, so there's no risk at all to having your splash-wild resource already out.

All things to be evaluated, but I like the quirkiness of it and how in a certain situation it's not the worst gem available.