PDA

View Full Version : Mono-blood control will be a deck.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 03:02 AM
I know it's an early claim given that there are still a lot of cards to spoil, but based on the strength of the cards we've already seen, I'd be surprised if mono-blood control doesn't pan out as a high tier deck in PvP constructed. Of course, now that I've said that a bunch of cards will probably be spoiled that will make it not good enough against the meta, but we'll see what happens.

Looking at the current top notch cards though...

Blood Harbinger - theoretically above curve (3 power, but we don't quite know what will be 'on curve' in the world of Hex just yet), but when it dies it either does a big punch to the face, or nets card advantage.
Pact of Pain - card draw. For those that have played with Necropotence in Magic, it's like a much more balanced version. Blood does have lifegain potential though, massively increasing Pact's potential.
Zombie Plague - due to the ramping up nature of the ability, you're likely to get at least one zombie out of it at some point, which means it isn't card disadvantage. Beyond getting potential zombies for free, you weaken your opponent's troops ahead of time, helping you gain control - which is exactly what you want.
Wretched Brood - probably won't be able to be thrown into a blood deck without having something to take advantage of the free troops, but if Blitterblossom has taught us anything in MTG, it's that this kind of effect will likely find a home somewhere.
Murder - straightforward, cheap removal.
Relentless Corruption - the first one is simply a 3 mana pseudo-card draw, but you might get something potentially awesome with it. Because of Escalation, everyone after becomes card advantage.
Giant Corpse Fly - an evasive creature that's fairly cheap and provides card advantage through hand disruption. Despite being a common creature, it's pretty powerful for 3 mana.
Vampire King - if you can pack enough removal in your deck, this guy will create some significant card advantage. He also makes blocking your troops very awkward as any trades or chump blocks end up significantly in your favor.
Corrupt Harvester - lifedrain and evasion, at the cost of a little power. Definitely has potential, especially if you're running any of the effects that require life payments.
Xarlox the Brood Lord - fantastic, pure and simple. Will usually be a 2-for-1, and has a nice big butt for blocking, which is handy in a control deck.
Necessary Sacrifice - 3 cards for your worst troop is a pretty good deal.
Terrible Transfer - this is what made me sit up and take notice about mono-blood. It's effectively "destroy target troop, gain at *least* 5 health". While it's more expensive than more efficient removal like Murder, that lifegain is very important in the context of pay-for-life effects, and general stabilizing until you gain control.
Extinction - the other sit up and take notice card from blood. There are a few other potential sweepers around at the moment, but Extinction is the most straightforward, and the least prone to failing to do what you want it to.
Urunaaz - a potential control finisher, he's a pretty big evasive creature that generates strong card advantage if he connects. And with your control cards clearing the path for him in the air, he'll probably connect.

There are also artifact cards, of course. In particular, blood is missing an awesome one drop from the currently spoiled cards; I recall seeing an artifact in last night's stream that cost 1, and had an action that cost 2 to do 2 damage to target troop or champion. That's not a bad one-drop at all, getting access to a pseudo-burn spell outside of ruby.

So keep an eye on those blood cards folks! We might need to get used to seeing them.

wallofomens
06-04-2013, 03:26 AM
I'd add General's Tent, Life Siphon and Corrupt Harvester as potential cards that could make it into a mono-blood deck.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 03:38 AM
General's Tent and Life Siphon have potential; the big issue for the Tent is the sheer mana investment (against an aggro deck it could be a very dead card), and the thing with Life Siphon is that if you don't use it as a finisher, it's card disadvantage, which is generally a bad thing for a control deck (though this is more acceptable if you include enough card advantage to offset the card disadvantage). Life Siphon I could fathom including as a 1 or 2-of, with the intent to use it to finish off the opponent or take a decent chunk out of their life total, but I think General's Tent will probably belong in the sideboard to bring out against slower decks.

Definitely agree on Corrupter Harvester though, which is why I included it. :-P

As an aside, virtually every card here is playable in a multicolor deck, so blood/x control decks will also have great potential. Mono-blood really makes Terrible Transfer shine though, which is just a great control card to have.

Khazrakh
06-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Well looking at the long tradition of mono black control in MTG this really shouldn't be a surprise.
There are two ways to play control: Don't let the opponent play anything or take out everything he plays. We'll have to see how it's all going to work out, so far the cards we've seen might be a little to slow to face a swarming weenie deck, but again, we haven't seen half the set.

The only card I really disagree with is Giant Corpse Fly. It's not bad, but your opponent can chose the card he wants to discard and it's only a 1/1 flyer for 3 after that, so while you'll get initial card advantage it's pretty dead afterwards. If it was 2/1 or made your opponent discard a random card I'd play it. Though it probably wouldn't be a common then.

wallofomens
06-04-2013, 03:50 AM
Yeah, General's Tent is indeed not great against aggro.

But to be honest, I'd generally include a second shard. Terrible Transfer(more like a terrible card name!) is not enough incentive for me to play mono-blood. We do need to see the rest of the set to say for sure, though.

KnowingCrow
06-04-2013, 03:50 AM
I think Giant Corpse Fly is very crippling to the kinds of decks they've demoed (Little to no card draw or card advantage, with the exception of the Blood deck), but that's not accurate to say it will be as crippling to competitive decks, as I don't consider the demoed decks to be competitive. I believe they are more to show the mechanics of the game than with winning in mind.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 03:54 AM
The thing is, it's an evasive 1/1, which makes a lot of difference. We haven't seen too many fliers yet, so if they aren't too prevalent, that niggling in for 1/1 could be relevant. We'll have to see what our options are at the 3-slot though; it might get shunted out for a better card, and even now it's competing with Murder and Relentless Corruption.

As for the swarming weenie deck, that just highlights how awesome Blood Harbinger is. 3 power means it can trade with most early threats, and if it does, it means they're the one taking early damage, or you're the one getting another blocker from its death. Essentially, against a swarm the deck needs to stabilize and hold on until hitting the 5th resource, at which point it can Extinction. Of course, as we know the fastest aggro decks tend to be the ones that can cause control headaches.

Patrigan
06-04-2013, 04:11 AM
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Call_the_Grave
+
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Secret_Laboratory

Seems like a solid play. I just wish I could see what the amount was that was needed to use the laboratory. (If anyone did see, feel free to update)

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Call the Grave is ok, but the issue with it being a 1-drop is that you'll virtually never cast it on turn 1. Could have a place, but we'll have to see how the deck shapes up. You wouldn't include it just for the Lab though. Typically with a card like the Lab you draw, then discard either a resource or something useless.

However, if the cost ends up being 1, the Lab would be a great card. 2 or more, and Pact of Pain will probably be better. I could see Secret Lab being sneaky tech in a diamond/x inspire deck though with that graveyard-inspire card.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 05:07 AM
I agree with the OP, all these cards seem strong.
About Giant Corpse Fly it's just great cause it kills thunderbird which seems to be a pain in the ***!

~

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 05:09 AM
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Secret_Laboratory

Seems like a solid play. I just wish I could see what the amount was that was needed to use the laboratory. (If anyone did see, feel free to update)

My understanding is that it's a threshold required?
Or it means you have to have a card in hand or something?
It's definitely not a mana cost!

~

wallofomens
06-04-2013, 05:17 AM
My understanding is that it's a threshold required?
Or it means you have to have a card in hand or something?
It's definitely not a mana cost!

~

It is a mana cost. Most likely [1].

Grissnap
06-04-2013, 05:23 AM
I really think Life Siphon will be a staple in blood decks as both a finisher and to get you out of finishing range after you take control.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Life Siphon will be a nice finisher in Wild/Blood Shin'hare decks.
As Aimed Shot was in WOWTCG Alliance Hunter (from 1st set)

~

Avaian
06-04-2013, 05:45 AM
I would toss in a shrine of prosperity, of course I have yet to find a deck it wouldn't have some value in. For a cost of 2 it boosts the top card of your deck.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Terrible transfer needs to cost 4 :O

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Shrine could definitely have some value. I wasn't really looking at the artifact side of things when I made the list in the first post; I only mentioned Sapper's Charge in a later post because I had just seen it in the stream, and it filled the 1-drop spot that mono-blood was lacking with the current selection of cards.

Verdant
06-04-2013, 06:09 AM
IIRC Sapper's Charge costs 2 mana.

Xenavire
06-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Just a heads up, Charge bot is a 1 drop 1/1 that charges your champion, can chump or swing, and can fuel sacrifice effects. Depending on champ choice, could be pretty amazing.

Werlix
06-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Yeah after looking at some of the Blood cards I thought mono Blood control could be fun too. I quite like Bone Warrior in this deck as it can chump block and stick around as a troop to fuel Necessary Sacrifice and Xentoth's Chosen.

Here's my version:

http://hextcgdb.com/deck/view/id/5