PDA

View Full Version : Collector Tier Questions:

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 03:34 AM
"An extra Set of all exclusive cards from the king set"

With the King you will end up with x2 of each exclusive PvE card for 120 (Because of the stretch goal).

~Now does the word set mean that I will end up with x4 of each? Or only x3?

Because if x3, it might be better to purchase two king packages. You will get double the booster packs, and end up with x4 of each PvE card, while still having x2 gardens.

Missing out on the 6 alternative art PvP cards unique to the collector set per year, unique deck sleeves, and free draft once per week.

That might be worth paying 10 dollars more, and losing 150 booster packs, but I hope I would end up with x4 of each PvE card like I would with buying 2 king packages.

Also PS: Just curious, I am too broke to get x2 kings or collector :D

TheDiv
06-04-2013, 03:45 AM
With Collector you'll get 3 of each Kickstarter-exclusive PvE card but only 2 Spectral Lotus Gardens.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Pretty sure it's 3x, but I can't remember if I inferred that, if someone on the forums said that, or if I read an official comment on it. So I can't guarantee that either way.

In any case, Collector is worth more because only Collector and the higher tiers will ever get those 12 AA cards per year (pretty sure I've read that you get 2x of the 6 due to the KS bonuses), which means they'll be incredibly rare and likely worth a lot for trading. Essentially, there'll be about 1400 people that get given those cards at this point, and compared to the possible millions that will end up playing Hex... that's a lot of potential demand for incredibly little supply.

The other PvE exclusive cards won't be worth nearly that much, seeing as even the highest tier of those cards get given to everyone King and above.

Poetic
06-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Well you get a whole year of free drafts with the $250 tiers, so you're actually getting 6 extra packs in the end. If I can't snag a Pro Tier before this is over I'm probably going Collector.

dodecapod
06-04-2013, 03:47 AM
I don't think stretch goals are considered to be a part of any tiers. They are bonus on top of what the tiers already offer.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Pretty sure it's 3x, but I can't remember if I inferred that, if someone on the forums said that, or if I read an official comment on it. So I can't guarantee that either way.

In any case, Collector is worth more because only Collector and the higher tiers will ever get those 12 AA cards per year (pretty sure I've read that you get 2x of the 6 due to the KS bonuses), which means they'll be incredibly rare and likely worth a lot for trading. Essentially, there'll be about 1400 people that get given those cards at this point, and compared to the possible millions that will end up playing Hex... that's a lot of potential demand for incredibly little supply.

The other PvE exclusive cards won't be worth nearly that much, seeing as even the highest tier of those cards get given to everyone King and above.

For 10 dollars cheaper, you get 1 more of every PvE kickstarter exclusive card (having 4 total), and 150 extra booster packs, not to mention 4 extra starter decks.

You miss out on those alternative art PvP cards, deck sleeves, and weekly draft though.

I guess you have to ask yourself whats worth more, 4 starter decks, 150 booster packs, and 1 extra of every *cannot get anywhere else PvE cards*, or what you get with the collector.

Indormi
06-04-2013, 03:53 AM
You get x3 to each kickstarter exclusive card, but lotus garden where you get 2. You also get 12 AA PvP cards/year (or at least the first year)

Completly unrelated, but IMO collector is worth more than 2xkings cause you get the free drafts, and because you really dont need so many set1 boosters.

Gorgol
06-04-2013, 03:54 AM
You also get 12 AA PvP cards/year (or at least the first year)

Collector only gets 2 of the 1st years set of AA PvP cards?

TheDiv
For 10 dollars cheaper, you get 1 more of every PvE kickstarter exclusive card (having 4 total), and 150 extra booster packs, not to mention 4 extra starter decks.

You miss out on those alternative art PvP cards, deck sleeves, and weekly draft though.

I guess you have to ask yourself whats worth more, 4 starter decks, 150 booster packs, and 1 extra of every *cannot get anywhere else PvE cards*, or what you get with the collector.

The years worth of free drafts is more valuable than the 150 boosters. As you'll get 156 boosters in total, and not only that but you'll get a variety of Set 1, 2 and 3 cards. Whereas the 150 boosters from King will only be Set 1.

TheWrathofShane
because you really dont need so many set1 boosters.

This is very true, and they probably kept it at 150 max to prevent hyper inflation :D

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 03:57 AM
You highlight the PvE cards that King+ get that you can't get anywhere else... except the AA cards that Collectors get are even rarer than that. Far less people are getting those AA cards, and in less quantity. That's where the major difference lies. And if it weren't for those 2x Kings would probably be preferential.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:00 AM
You highlight the PvE cards that King+ get that you can't get anywhere else... except the AA cards that Collectors get are even rarer than that. Far less people are getting those AA cards, and in less quantity. That's where the major difference lies. And if it weren't for those 2x Kings would probably be preferential.

Yeah, but the only thing exclusive about them is alternative art. You can find the cards for game play reasons in set booster packs.

But for $$$ wise, MTG tells us they people will pay 20+ dollars extra for a staple mythic thats also foil.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Oh I forgot to mention you also would get another PRIMAL PACK with the double king deal :D
So thats kind of like +15 extra booster packs.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Of course you can. But they're exclusive cards that people won't be able to get elsewhere. Sure, it's just cosmetic, and people can always get non-AA versions of them - but they're certainly far rarer than the PvE exclusives. People will be able to trade for both the PvE exclusives and the AA collector cards, but because of sheer rarity, I'd be gobsmacked if the AA cards didn't fetch a much higher price.

At this point, it seems like you've made up your mind and won't accept counterpoints. Sure, a primal pack is good, but with one free draft per week for the year, you could win a lot of prizes - probably well over 15 packs over the course of the year.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Of course you can. But they're exclusive cards that people won't be able to get elsewhere. Sure, it's just cosmetic, and people can always get non-AA versions of them - but they're certainly far rarer than the PvE exclusives. People will be able to trade for both the PvE exclusives and the AA collector cards, but because of sheer rarity, I'd be gobsmacked if the AA cards didn't fetch a much higher price.

Only if they are used in professional decklists. Then they will go for a ton. ESP if you unlock the extended art + foil on the card.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 04:07 AM
They'll sell for even more if they're competitive, but even if they're not, sheer rarity will drive their price up. Again, I'd be gobsmacked if the PvE cards even compared - sure you can get the non-AA PvP cards elsewhere (from what I understand they'll all be rares/legendaries to, increasing the odds that they'll be playable), but you can also trade for the higher-in-supply-than-the-collector-cards PvE exclusives, and I'm sure plenty of people will get rid of the ones that won't do anything for their decks. Not for cheap, but for less than the AA cards.

For a comparison, see how much a judge's promo Damnation or Wrath of God goes for in Magic. When I got mine they were somewhere around $60-$80. And that's a card that, while great in casual, is virtually unseen in competitive.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:08 AM
At this point, it seems like you've made up your mind and won't accept counterpoints. Sure, a primal pack is good, but with one free draft per week for the year, you could win a lot of prizes - probably well over 15 packs over the course of the year.

Nah you make some great points and the AA cards are definitely going to be the bomb.

Gorgol
06-04-2013, 04:11 AM
So is it true its only 2 copies of the 1st year AA cards and only 1 copy of them every year following and not 2 copies forever?

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:11 AM
For a comparison, see how much a judge's promo Damnation or Wrath of God goes for in Magic. When I got mine they were somewhere around $60-$80. And that's a card that, while great in casual, is virtually unseen in competitive.

Wrath/damnation is not seen in competetive!?!?!?
Did not know that.

But to prove your point, look up Nicol Bolas card and you will notice his FTV: Dragons cost about 44 dollars more :D

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Where are you guys seeing that the collector is getting 12 of the PvP AA collector exclusive cards???
Not in the stretch goals or the collector bonus.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 04:19 AM
If/when those types of cards are seen in standard, they're certainly played, as those formats can usually afford to play a sweeper on turn 4. Other formats though tend to be pretty fast. They might pop up in a sideboard or a random control deck in modern, but rarely will you see them in a top tier competitive deck in any format other than standard (and Wrath/Damn haven't been standard legal for about half a decade).

I believe I was told about it in a thread I had querying Collector, as it was one of my options for a tier to get. I don't know where the person telling me got their info though.

Gorgol
06-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Where are you guys seeing that the collector is getting 12 of the PvP AA collector exclusive cards???
Not in the stretch goals or the collector bonus.
in update #16. says +1 but I've also read here unofficially that +1 is only for 1st year. I guess I should just believe the update.

warstriker
06-04-2013, 04:21 AM
So is it true its only 2 copies of the 1st year AA cards and only 1 copy of them every year following and not 2 copies forever?

there is no mentioning of the 2 copies only lasting the first year. It simply states that the all AA cards will get an additional copy. This means that you can assume it will last for life of the game. Cory also mentions "yearly" and not first year in update 16.

Floru
06-04-2013, 04:21 AM
In my time of playing Magic the Gathering, I've seen so many people go out of their way to 'pimp' out their deck with foils, special cards, judge promos, etc. It's almost like a status symbol at times for some of the players. Some wear bling, others get the shiny cards I suppose.

TheWrathofShane
06-04-2013, 04:45 AM
In my time of playing Magic the Gathering, I've seen so many people go out of their way to 'pimp' out their deck with foils, special cards, judge promos, etc. It's almost like a status symbol at times for some of the players. Some wear bling, others get the shiny cards I suppose.

Imagine the AA cards which are constructed staples and have the extended art + foil unlocked.

Boner.