PDA

View Full Version : Username as Keep Name?

tgm0112
06-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Let me see if I got this straight. Whatever we use at login (i.e. our username) will be used as the name of our keep? Then, whatever we name our characters garners us the title <Character Name> of <Keep Name>.

This is relevant only because I'd hoped to be first to reserve one of my favorite fantasy character names, but that would hardly work if I'd end up with something akin to John of Bob. I would need to think of a different account name entirely, one more fitting of a fantasy locale rather than an individual (e.g. Storm's End, Black Fort).

Gorgol
06-04-2013, 04:52 AM
I honestly hope username and keep name is separate.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 04:56 AM
I don't recall them saying at all that our username would be our keep name. It seemed like they implied we'd choose the name for our keep, and we'd choose the name for our champions, and then those champions would become <Champion> of <Keep>.

tgm0112
06-04-2013, 05:00 AM
I don't recall them saying at all that our username would be our keep name. It seemed like they implied we'd choose the name for our keep, and we'd choose the name for our champions, and then those champions would become <Champion> of <Keep>.

I truly thought I'd heard this to be the case, but I sincerely hope I was wrong. Can others corroborate to put my mind at ease?

caffn8d
06-04-2013, 05:01 AM
I would think that your login username would be separate from your keep name, which would in turn be separate from your character/champion names.

Dralon
06-04-2013, 05:04 AM
Cory said you would have a "unique name" for your keep, but didn't specify that that unique name was the same as your user name. I would think you would be able to select it as your Champions will bear the name of your keep as well.

Kami
06-04-2013, 05:04 AM
I truly thought I'd heard this to be the case, but I sincerely hope I was wrong. Can others corroborate to put my mind at ease?

Yeah, Cory said this live on the stream last night.

<Champion> of <Keep> is what is currently being used. Who knows? It may change by the end of it all.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 05:11 AM
I can see a rush for Game of Throne Keep's names :)

~

Gorgol
06-04-2013, 05:19 AM

~
Shhhhhhhhh...

tgm0112
06-04-2013, 05:34 AM
That's a given, but I'm sure they'll be all gone in the beta. I would like something original.

Thanks everyone! Feeling reassured now. (If we could get a purple user to squash the remnants of my misgivings, that'd be nice too. :D)

Qorsair
06-04-2013, 06:01 AM
My understanding was that in Hex your presence in the world is your keep, and that is essentially your unique identifier. This way you can have whatever chamipion names you want, and it won't matter if there's 185 Gandalfs, because they're all "of Somewhere" unique. I didn't get the impression you would have an identifier separate from the keep's name, but I'll have to listen to the live stream again and see.

Beastmaster
06-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Maybe the Keep is PVE thing and people will be able to use their usernames for PvE and Tournaments.

I just really hope its not limited to Keep, which is the way I first heard it...

I want Fort and Castle and Tower etc etc

It would be very cool if there were at least different types of 'keeps' with associated icons so that for example you could have a Wizard's tower that looked like a tower..

Another point - what if I want to call my keep 'BlackRock Keep' and the game puts it in the middle of a desert? or Ridgeback Keep and its on the pains without a hill in sight?

tgm0112
06-04-2013, 06:22 AM
My understanding was that in Hex your presence in the world is your keep, and that is essentially your unique identifier. This way you can have whatever chamipion names you want, and it won't matter if there's 185 Gandalfs, because they're all "of Somewhere" unique. I didn't get the impression you would have an identifier separate from the keep's name, but I'll have to listen to the live stream again and see.

That was precisely my understanding. Even if you have a different account name, your keep is your unique identifier.

Qorsair
06-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Another point - what if I want to call my keep 'BlackRock Keep' and the game puts it in the middle of a desert? or Ridgeback Keep and its on the pains without a hill in sight?

In one of the videos, I believe it was the trailer, you can see the player customizing the keep. So I would expect the backdrop to be customizable the way the towers of the keep are customizable.

Kami
06-04-2013, 06:36 AM

~

Nah, I'll be pulling names from books by authors like Asimov, Eddings, Farland, Pratchett...

Or using my own. :)

Trothael
06-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Nah, I'll be pulling names from books by authors like Asimov, Eddings, Farland, Pratchett...

I'm sure there's going to be scope for some interesting names there. Stoneface of The Ankh Keep.

syphonhail
06-04-2013, 07:41 AM

There were only two Foundations.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Keep The North...OF THE NORTH. :)