PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's Twitch.TV feed - why so unprepared?

cboyd_1976
06-04-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm sure the community is going to eat me alive here, but frankly as a backer, I'm a little disappointed with the preparedness of the team on last night's feed. I would think that the team would do a very thorough walk through prior to going live on the web, making sure that everything is functioning properly, ensuring that the feed goes off without a hitch. At the very beginning it is verbalized that the screen is going black so he can re-install an updated version of the game and then 1 hour later, nothing as they continue to work through issues. The community has backed this game beyond everyone's wildest imagination. I understand this is pre-alpha and it's great that CZ is so willing to share content so early on, but this presentation most certainly didn't give me any warm fuzzies. I hope the next preview goes a little more smoothly.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 07:04 AM
This is a fair comment and opinion, so don't be too fearful of being eaten alive.

Personally, I can only hope that they've been working tooth and nail on the game, so they didn't prioritize doing a trial run of the planned show.

Lunarath
06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
He did say they were up all night prior to the stream to get things right. Unfortunately technology can go wrong... As long as they learned how to avoid the same mistake in the future i'm all good

ShaolinRaven
06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
If you watched the feed, they said they pushed an update out the night before and something just went wrong with the update. Live online games don't get updates right, its why "patch days" are also "Okay so what did they break this time" days. Its going to happen even when Hex is a live game and I'm glad the team still stuck around to answer questions instead of leaving the feed. Could they not have pushed an update to try and show us some new things, sure, but then we would have been stuck with the same decks we have already seen.

I see where it might look bad for some, I've just played so many MMOs I never expect things to go as they should, especially when patches/updates are added to the mix.

panzer
06-04-2013, 07:07 AM
I kind of had the same sentiment as the OP, I was surprised by the 45+ mins of technical difficulties. As they explained in the video the game is still early in development; I just assumed it was further along from the IGN demo.

Avignon
06-04-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm sure the community is going to eat me alive here, but frankly as a backer, I'm a little disappointed with the preparedness of the team on last night's feed. I would think that the team would do a very thorough walk through prior to going live on the web, making sure that everything is functioning properly, ensuring that the feed goes off without a hitch. At the very beginning it is verbalized that the screen is going black so he can re-install an updated version of the game and then 1 hour later, nothing as they continue to work through issues. The community has backed this game beyond everyone's wildest imagination. I understand this is pre-alpha and it's great that CZ is so willing to share content so early on, but this presentation most certainly didn't give me any warm fuzzies. I hope the next preview goes a little more smoothly.

Going to be very hard to eat you alive given you have thought out and constructed a good point of view. I would only eat anyone alive who was "AMAGADZ uZ SUXorZ, uR BROEKAN GAEM IS WURST THAN NE BAETA I HAZ PLAID."

Reality is most people realize that they are still in pre-alpha. It hasnt gone through bug tests or polish, and its hard to expect any game that is on kickstarter to show live demonstrations of what you will experience, given most aren't close to being built.

They are just very enthusiastic about it (as most Hex Maniacs are), and perhaps over-promised a preview that was going to be a push to deliver on time. No harm done, maybe just a little embarrassing at worst.

TheMuffMuff
06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I agree.

I know it's pre-alpha but a black screen and "?" faces isn't the best advertisment for a upcoming community based game, it was 2am here (eu west time) so rlly disappointed.

Pls Crypto play 1-2 maches a few hours before the twitch streams starts.

But if I think about the beta... starts @ september... so ~ 4 months... means a lot of work for Crypto.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 07:22 AM
I wasn't there for it live, but I watched the recording. They stayed professional throughout the whole thing, and kept engaged with the streamers while previewing some cards.
Obviously not the best thing that could have happened, but no one panicked and they (presumably) figured out the problem quite quickly.
The mistake seems to be minor but pushing a new version out takes a while. I expect hiccups during development.
I was more concerned that the interface felt a bit laggy (especially loading a deck). Not sure if it's just not optimized or if there's long placeholder waits for transitions that will be put into place later.

Erebus
06-04-2013, 07:22 AM
MuffMuff, you must have had a bad connection, because they always had the skype faces up and 75% of the time they at least had the deck builder up.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 07:24 AM
He might have meant "?" card faces? I'm not sure.

Indormi
06-04-2013, 07:24 AM
I agree.

I know it's pre-alpha but a black screen and "?" faces isn't the best advertisment for a upcoming community based game, it was 2am here (eu west time) so rlly disappointed.

Pls Crypto play 1-2 maches a few hours before the twitch streams starts.

But if I think about the beta... starts @ september... so ~ 4 months... means a lot of work for Crypto.

The problem is this, some of use stayed until 2 am in the morning for it. And now if we want to watch the matches we have to do it again. I hoped they have tested it first, and just said some hours before that they couldnt make it.

On the other hand is good news cause we get 2 hours of stream intead of 1, but the lack of sleep is going to hurt me this week

Temig
06-04-2013, 07:25 AM
I was torn about the issues. On one hand, it hurt because there were likely some non-backers watching who got a bad impression (along with backers who did as well, I'm sure). That they didn't take some time to ensure that things would run smoothly was certainly a little disappointing overall.

However, the other part of my brain can't help but think that these guys stayed up all night working to push out a new build... and then very likely continued working throughout the day yesterday on making the game itself obviously not having time to sit down and play the game (if they had, they would have likely seen the issue beforehand). So, in that regard, I can't help but love the fact that they are working so hard on the game.

We know they're a small company with limited resources. Unfortunately that means that they likely don't have someone in-house whose sole job is making sure things like PR live streams go perfectly and that's something we'll have to live with.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 07:26 AM
You can always just watch the recording after-the-fact...

Anyway, I don't think it reflected badly on CZE. They handled it quite well, considering.

I've seen some pretty poor streams from League of Legends, and they're RELEASED and already having PRO events...

Crashes, sudden sound cut-outs, 1 hour delays. Live events are...live. :)

Fleckenwhatever
06-04-2013, 07:29 AM
The problem is this, some of use stayed until 2 am in the morning for it. And now if we want to watch the matches we have to do it again. I hoped they have tested it first, and just said some hours before that they couldnt make it.

On the other hand is good news cause we get 2 hours of stream intead of 1, but the lack of sleep is going to hurt me this week

Or you could watch the video after the fact and get some sleep instead. I didn't watch it live and it was only 8 pm for me.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 07:31 AM
I think some people want to get on the live feed so they have a chance to possibly get a question answered.

I know I'm hoping to get in tonight and see if I can get a question answered! :-D

Plaga
06-04-2013, 07:33 AM
The problem is this, some of use stayed until 2 am in the morning for it.
Same here, the first stream was ok because it was 2 hours earlier and it was friday. Staying up until 3am mid-week two days in a row is gonna be hard to us, the european hexers.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 07:34 AM
We should just compile a list of questions for the live feed and answer the ones the community already knows the answer to...

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Don't think you know anything about software engineering.
Anyway, you cannot correct, package and deploy any software within 45 minutes.

Chris identified the bug, he's gonna correct it, package the correction, and deploy it on the machines for today's stream.

~

Qorsair
06-04-2013, 07:35 AM
If you have questions, I wouldn't count on the stream to get them answered. Submit the question via the Kickstarter "Contact Me" link, they are awesomely quick with their responses on there.

theophanya
06-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Dude, I wouldn't take that as unpreparedness. The way I see it, the guys are hard at work to finish the game and these live feeds are just an extra handout to fans to keep the fire crackling. It's true that some people would think it is not taken seriously enough, but frankly I think I'm much better off while the team spends half a day working on the game instead of preparing for a show.

TheMuffMuff
06-04-2013, 07:39 AM
haha no my connection is great :)
i mean more "ok what we gonna do now?!" glances.

And images were missing too @ the first version.

I love the company, the guys and the game - but pls first testing than straming -> my friends were like wtf im watching?

I think some people want to get on the live feed so they have a chance to possibly get a question answered.

This!

Hatts
06-04-2013, 07:46 AM
It's pretty clear that they have a version that is relatively stable that they have been demoing to the media and used for the previous stream (orcs and humans.) They wanted to show us some new stuff and worked on a new build for the stream yesterday with dwarves and bunnies but obviously didn't catch all the bugs.

I'm not worried about this, I appreciate the effort they are making to show us additional decks and play styles.

tgm0112
06-04-2013, 07:48 AM
@OP

Nobody was psyched about what happened. I think a lot of us have just come to give the Hex team the benefit of the doubt, considering their assurances for a stream today. If this one fails as well or has similar portrait issues, then we can speak to their unpreparedness since no one forced them to reschedule so soon.

As to not being prepared for such an important presentation, I would argue it's a matter of priorities. I would prefer they not waste too many resources on showing the game off when they could be polishing much more important (but less flashy) logistical hurdles in a game like this, such as fine-tuning PVP matchmaking, raid dynamics, card synergy, etc. There are a ton of things I would put ahead of 1v1 challenge matches (which has already been done) in terms of difficulty, novelty, and importance that you simply can't showcase on a stream.

Googolplex
06-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Their first Twitch presentation wasn't great either...its a bit disturbing.

Tinuvas
06-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I was actually quite appreciative of the whole thing. These boys are human, and regardless of that (or truly, BECAUSE of that) they still showed us what they could in the time they had. I know that I personally sometimes stretch a bit too far and get burned because of it. It showed what they would do if something goes wrong in the future (which was NOT to clamp up, shut down and tell us 'we'll get back to you'). That to me was worth more than playing with decks/cards that we will be able to see later anyway. For those of us who have backed the KS, yesterday's stream should make us a bit more comfortable with Crypto, not less. The level of professionalism under pressure was admirable, and something that a polished demo will never show. I was hoping to see something like this before launch/beta release to measure just such things. I'm happy with the results.

Mugaaz
06-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Don't think you know anything about software engineering.
Anyway, you cannot correct, package and deploy any software within 45 minutes.

Chris identified the bug, he's gonna correct it, package the correction, and deploy it on the machines for today's stream.

~

Come on dude. No one is saying software engineering is easy. What they are saying that installing your game during the live stream because you didn't do it ahead of time, then also never ensured it would work ahead of time isn't a software engineering problem. Not in the slightest. It shows either incompetence, unimportance, or complete disregard. If I had to give a presentation for my company's product in front of thousands I would spend days preparing, and that would be considered the bare minimum. If you go to a trade conference and make a presentation like that you'd be instantly looking for a new job. You cannot use pre-Alpha as an excuse when the issue is unrelated to that. If they had bothered to test if it was going to work beforehand, then they could of postponed the stream until it did. The client not working correctly is a software engineering issue, the client not working on a live stream is an incompetence issue.

They've now had two streams in a row that showed complete lack of preparation, it is not confidence inducing and is making me considering changing my pledge.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Come on dude. No one is saying software engineering is easy. What they are saying that installing your game during the live stream because you didn't do it ahead of time, then also never ensured it would work ahead of time isn't a software engineering problem. Not in the slightest. It shows either incompetence, unimportance, or complete disregard. If I had to give a presentation for my company's product in front of thousands I would spend days preparing, and that would be considered the bare minimum. If you go to a trade conference and make a presentation like that you'd be instantly looking for a new job. You cannot use pre-Alpha as an excuse when the issue is unrelated to that. If they had bothered to test if it was going to work beforehand, then they could of postponed the stream until it did. The client not working correctly is a software engineering issue, the client not working on a live stream is an incompetence issue.

They've now had two streams in a row that showed complete lack of preparation, it is not confidence inducing and is making me considering changing my pledge.
You're being pretty hard on them. It's like you're not even considering that they may have been working so hard on the game for the last X days that they didn't feel they could fit a test run or rehearsal in their schedule.

Only they know exactly why they couldn't make sure things would work ahead of time - and you might be right, and they might have just not been prepared enough. Maybe they had a lot of game related issues to deal with, and prioritized them instead. Maybe they don't care about PR at all. Make your judgment, just keep in mind that you don't know everything surrounding the stream.

verozo
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
I was actually quite appreciative of the whole thing. These boys are human, and regardless of that (or truly, BECAUSE of that) they still showed us what they could in the time they had. I know that I personally sometimes stretch a bit too far and get burned because of it. It showed what they would do if something goes wrong in the future (which was NOT to clamp up, shut down and tell us 'we'll get back to you'). That to me was worth more than playing with decks/cards that we will be able to see later anyway. For those of us who have backed the KS, yesterday's stream should make us a bit more comfortable with Crypto, not less. The level of professionalism under pressure was admirable, and something that a polished demo will never show. I was hoping to see something like this before launch/beta release to measure just such things. I'm happy with the results.

This.

Mugaaz
06-04-2013, 08:10 AM
You're being pretty hard on them. It's like you're not even considering that they may have been working so hard on the game for the last X days that they didn't feel they could fit a test run or rehearsal in their schedule.

Only they know exactly why they couldn't make sure things would work ahead of time - and you might be right, and they might have just not been prepared enough. Maybe they had a lot of game related issues to deal with, and prioritized them instead. Maybe they don't care about PR at all. Make your judgment, just keep in mind that you don't know everything surrounding the stream.

Everything you said is correct. All I know for certain is they've now done two live stream, and for both of them they were completely under-prepared. That is all i know.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 08:11 AM
What was unprepared about the other livestream?

Niedar
06-04-2013, 08:12 AM
That's funny because every other company in the industry would never ever do a live stream for a preview. They would be faking it with prerecorded video and then you would be on her complaining that it was fake. Secondly, you don't know if the build was tested before hand as software bugs are often non deterministic and even if they are deterministic it is almost impossible to test all possible code paths and doing something in just a slightly different order can cause everything to fuck up.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 08:14 AM
The other livestream involving the deck test between the inspire aggro and blood control? That stream seemed fine to me.

tgm0112
06-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Again, your case might be better if the game wasn't already more than 600% funded!

At this point, I really hope priorities have shifted from simply bringing in more people's money. These demos are pretty much meaningless to the project except to please us and assuage some lingering concerns that would shift small fractions of their funds at this point. It's a gimme, nothing more. If this was their main pitch (or were struggling to meet 100%), the analogy might have better footing.

That's all also disregarding one fact: they're still giving all good little boys and girls their treat tonight! The very reason it failed before was because they added too much frosting.

Tinuvas
06-04-2013, 08:15 AM

I agree with your statement that it wasn't a software development issue. I disagree that it's either incompetence, etc. I think I'm going to trust Cory at his word that they just tried to put a bit too much in there before 'game time'. Cory's natural tendencies (based on the videos I've seen him in, the updates that he's posted etc.) are to try to give us more rather than go perfectly slow and steady. It's an attitude that I can appreciate for what it is, not what it isn't. Also, as he is the president, fortunately he won't lose his job over the situation. That's why he could try for more. To accuse of incompetence is being a bit harsh IMHO, and it's assuming a number of situational realities that don't tend to add up with the evidence that I have seen. I would rather see them try for more and bumble it a bit then have a polished entrance with an inferior product.

caffn8d
06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Come on dude. No one is saying software engineering is easy. What they are saying that installing your game during the live stream because you didn't do it ahead of time, then also never ensured it would work ahead of time isn't a software engineering problem. Not in the slightest.

This. Again, there might have been extenuating circumstances, and I'm hoping tonight's stream comes off great. I really do love the passion and vision on display for HEX. It's the execution that is making me concerned. It's not "omg the sky is falling!" kind of stuff, but I'm glad it's being said.

Hatts
06-04-2013, 08:39 AM
The history of software development has been filled with thousands of failed demo's, this one doesn't even rank that high.

Qorsair
06-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I'd rather see them try too much and fail, then adjust, instead of playing it safe or pre-recording a demo. It's great to see that they're actually doing this, and not just bullshitting us. They believe in their project enough to do a true live stream, and not a pre-produced PR piece.

nearlysober
06-04-2013, 09:05 AM
I've worked in the software industry for quite some time, and I can tell ya... "stuff" happens.

As a software tester I've given walkthroughs & demo's of projects in various forms of functionality to huge audiences and had them fail spectacularly. It's never easy, especially when you work at a huge company & VPs are on the call.

That being said... I did raise an eyebrow when they started the demo by installing a new build.

That's never a good idea right before a demo :)

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty sure what happened is :
1/ yesterday morning they tested the decks and one card was not working as intended (like last time)
2/ so they corrected quickly the bug
3/ Packaged quickly (with local connection in the settings)
4/ Deployed live
5/ Identified the connection settings were bad / the local ones from the dev's computer (that's also while the links to images were broken)

It would have taken 1hour or more to re-package/re-deploy so they said : Cya tomorrow.

It's as simple as that, someone made a mistake while rushing a packaging/deployment, he'll double check next time :)

~

Dralon
06-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I am sure no one was more disappointed in the twitch stream than Cory and the other men in that room . As Cory said, they over reached some and it cost them. I do not take it as a sign of incompetence or disregard at all. Anyone who is basing their pledge solely, or even largely based on the twitch streams has the right to, but I feel is being shortsighted.

Lemonade from lemons, we get two hours of hex twitch this week :)

Kalius
06-04-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm actually happy that they had a problem during the stream yesterday, because it let us see how good they are at identifying the problem and working to fix it.

If it was, say, WoW with the problem, we wouldn't have known anything for about 2-3 hours, versus knowing after about half an hour. Not to mention they knew exactly what was needed to fix it before the stream was over. This shows that when the game goes live, problems with the game probably won't keep people from being able to play for half the day.

cboyd_1976
06-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Good healthy conversation here, enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I for the most part agree with you all, you make really great points. All in all, they could have been more prepared, but their level of enthusiasm and willingness/openness to share the product at such an early phase is commendable. This post isn't about the various opinions though, but rather how pleased I am with those posting in this thread. All of the posts have been clear, concise, polite and well written. We're all going to have various opinions and even those with strong / negative opinions stated them tactfully. This really appears to be a great community of folks by in large and am very happy to be a member. I'm looking forward to seeing tonight's feed tomorrow morning via replay.

Tathel
06-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I believe they mentioned that the missing images were art packs that they forgot to throw into the build, that's why they were able to fix a portion of that pretty quickly.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Worst case they've update their deployment process and it'll make live version more robust :D

~

theghost32
06-04-2013, 09:33 AM
actually i was kind of glad the demo failed they answered a bunch of questions and previewed some awesome new cards

syphonhail
06-04-2013, 09:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLhuF3L48U

syphonhail
06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Something a bit more contemporary: Microsoft's Surface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N1zxDa3t0fg

syphonhail
06-04-2013, 10:02 AM
For the sake of parity, an 11-minute montage of Apple failures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZG1ewSO0X4

Of note, none of these presentations were described as being in a pre-alpha phase.

fido_one
06-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I'll bite on this one. If you work in IT and hit a 'time to demonstrate' event most times you can expect a glitch or three more often than not, even well after alpha/beta.

Look no further than Apple's or Microsoft flubs on their main events - a pre-alpha demonstration basically means no one can prep enough for a smooth ride every time (otherwise they'd be in an alpha/beta or release). I'm amazed everything looks as cooked as it does.

I'm not phased at all by the flub yesterday and I'd argue you'd be better at applying anxieties elsewhere... If anything their handling of the no-go gave me more confidence - they were clear in the issue, didn't try to hide it, and ended up showing more of the deck management system and answered random questions which were not on the demonstration agenda. Those fall backs, the confidence in handling the random questions on the spot, and few [as opposed to many or all] answers coming from Cory speaks really, really well about CZE and their development of HEX. (As a manager, if I'm in the unfortunate situation of exaggerating a project, I'm generally doing all the speaking and direct reports have to sit it out as I'm spouting bullshit)

jai151
06-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Looking at the amount of money raised and number of backers added yesterday and today, I'm thinking far more were impressed with what they saw than put off.

EntropyBall
06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
We should just compile a list of questions for the live feed and answer the ones the community already knows the answer to...

No kidding. At least 90% of the questions asked were stuff that is already posted on these forums. Would be great to get some new info, rather than rehashing the old. Though it seemed they picked out a lot of questions that had already been answered before, just so they didn't have to worry about releasing new info that wasn't ready to go out yet.

Hiruma
06-04-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTX2tyZUIw

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
No kidding. At least 90% of the questions asked were stuff that is already posted on these forums. Would be great to get some new info, rather than rehashing the old. Though it seemed they picked out a lot of questions that had already been answered before, just so they didn't have to worry about releasing new info that wasn't ready to go out yet.
Well I'm planning on trying to ask if they'd ban someone that got two accounts through the KS, and frequently traded items between the two depending on whether they were raiding or not.

From a thread I made on the forum about it it seems that they've been quite unclear as to how they'd react to something like that, giving hints that they might not be ok with it, and that they might not care about it.

If anyone knows for sure (a link to an O response would be handy) I won't ask. ;-)

DeusPhasmatis
06-04-2013, 11:34 AM
What happened was caused by a combination of excitement, ambition, and inexperience in software engineering. As they said, they had been up late the previous night working on the build. That was their mistake: letting their desire to show us awesome things overrule the practice of thorough testing. It's forgivable, because they meant well, improvised intelligently, and from what I can tell CZE isn't exactly an experienced software developer (and therefor wouldn't have first hand experience on why new builds need more than 24 hours before demoing).

They'll know better for next time. And it's important to give people the chance to fail, because punishing failure teaches people not to try, rather than not to fail. True success requires taking risks, and I'd rather forgive them a few small failures caused by over-ambition, then scare them into consistent mediocrity.

EntropyBall
06-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I'm planning on trying to ask if they'd ban someone that got two accounts through the KS, and frequently traded items between the two depending on whether they were raiding or not.

From a thread I made on the forum about it it seems that they've been quite unclear as to how they'd react to something like that, giving hints that they might not be ok with it, and that they might not care about it.

If anyone knows for sure (a link to an O response would be handy) I won't ask. ;-)

I have seen a specific question asked about buying an account for someones wife. They said that each account must have its own creditcard/method of payment. They went on to say that you are not allowed to play someone else's account, but that you could just trade items between the accounts. To me, that says frequent trading is not a problem.

fido_one
06-04-2013, 06:26 PM

I don't know MMOs too well but I can't imagine them taking a super aggressive stance on it. There are too many real world scenarios that exist with multiple accounts that aren't trying to bilk the system. I've been thinking of reserving some sort of KS account for my wife and if I can't recruit her I'll use it. I give myself a 50% rate of success to be determined some time after launch but during my recruitment and if I fail I'll be using the resources.

That's my possible double-account scenario, but I think there are a lot of other legitimate reasons - people with kids, gifts that might not be received well, etc.

I think, maybe year drafts aside for the 250 non PP tiers, CZE is being good enough to combine accounts that there is a natural incentive for most of us not to have to juggle multiple accounts.