PDA

View Full Version : Trading the virtual for the real

Philomorph
06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I haven't seen this explicitly stated anywhere, so I'll ask. Sorry it's a bit rambling.

Is there going to be any way for players to sell anything in game for anything out of game? I'd guess the answer is no, but I ask anyway because it's one of the main differences between a "real" TCG and a virtual one.

If you play MTG, et al, one of the lures of collecting valuable cards goes beyond just playing with them. Sometimes they appreciate enough to make it worth selling for a decent amount of cash, which you can spend anywhere.

In a virtual TCG, you can only "sell" your in-game cards for in-game money, which you can only use to buy more in-game cards.

However, if I recall correctly, the MTG online game had a way to go the other direction, in the form of trading a complete set of virtual cards for a complete set of real cards. Of course HEX will have no real world equivalent to trade for.

The reason I bring this up is two-fold:

First, when you've put a bunch of money into a game that allows continued and repeated purchase of virtual goods, and then you decide to stop playing, it can really feel crappy to basically "lose" all that money you invested. Obviously that money paid for the fun you hopefully had, but sometimes you put a bunch of money into something that ends up paying much smaller dividends to your level of interest. But unlike my enormous collection of MTG cards that I was able to divest of moxes and lotuses, etc, to recoup some of that investment, there appears to be no option for such an exchange in HEX.

Second, people *will* create a third-party market for accounts and cards, just like they did in MTG online. I will admit that when I played MTG Online, I bought and sold more than a few cards to some companies that had set up a rather complex and impressive business using automatic vendor bots in-game to buy and sell "used" virtual cards. The real money was handled through a website and credits were applied instantly to the bots using whatever voodoo WotC had granted through their API.

How does Cryptozoic plan to approach and address this issue?

I'm sure that for legal reasons, they can't come out and say "Go ahead, whatever, use our system for laundering your dirty virtual money." But is this something they have put a lot of thought into so far? Is there a plan in place for dealing with it, and how aggressive are they going to be in enforcing whatever rules they come up with?

Personally, I prefer the free-market solution, which is to let people do what people will do, as long as it doesn't mess up the game somehow. We don't want people finding a way to game things that results in 3rd world "gold miners". But the players should also have the right to trade how they want, right?

Niedar
06-04-2013, 11:51 AM
You can sell digital items for real money, happens all the time. They want to support it directly but it has legal issues but wont interfere with third parties.

By directly support it I mean they would like to be able to cash out platinum for real dollars through them and maybe they will in the future but doesn't look like it will be happening right now.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 11:56 AM
They have no official stance yet, because there is a lot of legal questions. Their official stance may even be that it's not allowed, but many people are assuming that their understanding of secondary markets and the driving forces behind TCG's will have them be very lenient on the issue.

nearlysober
06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Assumption is that platinum will be purchased for cash... and then platinum will be used for all ingame purchases.

However, no clear statement on a "cash out" option. If they put one officially in game... then they have legality issues around various state gambling laws.

They may just take the stance that they'll protect the integrity of the product & platinum, ensure no duping. Keep the secondary market (in-game buying/selling/trading) secure and legit... and leave the "third party" market (basically buying/selling platinum from other parties)to fend for itself. If they do that though, people will get scammed, so it'll probably officially be against the terms of use, to protect players.

Tathel
06-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I believe they are not providing any official option to cash out, but taking a hand off approach in all aspects of the secondary market.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 12:49 PM
You could be unable to trade cards at all, like many digital "collectible" card games.

Assuming CZE does not explicitly prevent it or supersede it, I expect a gray market for boosters or just platinum.

Probably not individual cards.

Niedar
06-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah, there is not much need to buy cards as you can already do that in game at a central location, its the platinum that will have an exchange value.

Hollywood
06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Man, I sure am having a hard time turning my MTGO tix into real life cash... said no one, ever.

Platinum will be no different.