PDA

View Full Version : Time limit in PvE?

BLyons
06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Will there be a time limit on PvE games? Just wondering in case I'm at work and get called away from my game for a while, will I be able to come back to it or will I get a timed out loss?

larryhl
06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I really doubt that single player will have a timer. Even if it does, I'm assuming a simple Pause button could take care of it. But we haven't seen any PvE pre-alpha content yet.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Probably not solo content.
They said you can just get up and leave or close the program and it'll save progress. I don't see why idling online will make a difference.

ShaolinRaven
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
For dungeons if you leave it will save your progress. The only time a dungeon will reset is if you get 3 death marks.

Don't know if there will be a game timer like there is in PvP for individual matches inside the dungeons though.

Aurorah
06-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I know they said for solo PvE you can leave midgame and pickup when back the AI doesn't care about waiting. As for anything with another live person expect a timer.

jaxsonbateman
06-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I believe they said something about some dungeons being 5 hours+. Which seems to indicate that you'll be able to stop and resume your progress later.

Genocidal
06-04-2013, 01:18 PM
I know they said for solo PvE you can leave midgame and pickup when back the AI doesn't care about waiting. As for anything with another live person expect a timer.

Yep, they did mention this when asked about time limits for PVE so you should have no worries. Unless of course, you're in a PVE fight that has a time limit as one of its win conditions/branching options, which I fully expect to see.

grey0one
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
They said in two of the videos that there's no time limit for Dungeons. You'll hop in and out at where you left off.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Official answer :
PvE is not timed, you can pause/quit anytime and rejoin later with your progress saved

Glad to have you aboard Bryan!

~

Xenavire
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't assume no timers ever - there might be a mechanic in a dungeon with a countdown etc, but for the large part, no play timers.

I would prefer no timers on PvE, but I know they are sometimes just too fun...

Zomnivore
06-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Watched what little of the stream there was to watch yesterday, no time out or face book mechanics for pve, can run it as long as you want as often as you want.

Thats official.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't assume no timers ever - there might be a mechanic in a dungeon with a countdown etc, but for the large part, no play timers.

I would prefer no timers on PvE, but I know they are sometimes just too fun...

I'm not really sure about why you'd need a timer vs the AI.
If it's for puzzles and such, people are just gonna pause and think or go to google and find the answers...

If it's for "gameplay" you can artificially do that by having a charge power on the raid boss that says : "Kill target champion", it limits turns

~

Plaga
06-04-2013, 03:11 PM
For single player dungeons/quests there's no reason to have one unless it's part of the encounter mechanic, but what about in raids, where you play with other ppl?

Xenavire
06-04-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm not really sure about why you'd need a timer vs the AI.
If it's for puzzles and such, people are just gonna pause and think or go to google and find the answers...

If it's for "gameplay" you can artificially do that by having a charge power on the raid boss that says : "Kill target champion", it limits turns

~

Thats what I assume, but I wouldn't say never - they might have a dungeon where you have two hours until a bomb goes off (remember the Mr Yes article? Perfect example). And I could see anything with a puzzle timer being pretty stupid anyway, unless they randomised it and sdisabled pausing for the puzzle.

I think it seems likely that it wont happen, but I would never say they wouldn't consider doing it as a one-off, or a gimmick.

Zomnivore
06-04-2013, 03:14 PM
There are no time limit features on pve.

Its official.

If you tuned in to the stream that got rescheduled you'd have heard it yourself. NO "facebook mechanic" was very explicit n clear was directly addressing the OP's question.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 03:21 PM
A complete set objectives in a certain amount of time isn't the kind of timer mechanics they ruled out, though.
Also, that time could pause just like everything else, so it doesn't matter if you leave to pvp, you just can't dally in the dungeon. Likely you'll have to do it several times and take multiple paths to see everything if there are lots of choices and you just can't do them all in the amount of time provided.

Zomnivore
06-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm guessing a race against the clock for an achievement or some sort of hidden boss wouldn't be out of the question. Though the OP seemed worried that this would have some way of metering out content like some f2p do.

Gwaer
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
It's really lockout timers or an energy mechanic, where going to each spot costs energy and you only have so much, so you have to buy potions of energy for real money and crap like that, otherwise it slowly refills. All that BS is out.

Tyrfang
06-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I hate those energy meters in games.
They just cause people to burn out faster.

Xenavire
06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I hate those energy meters in games.
They just cause people to burn out faster.

Ugh, same here. Never found those compelling or interesting, not ever. Thankfully we have millions of games to choose from, so we can avoid things like that.

ConnorJS
06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Should just be as you expect, it might kick you out after X amount of time but you could just go back to the same point.