PDA

View Full Version : Who Remembers the Poke'mon tradeing card game (GBA)

TheWrathofShane
06-05-2013, 12:00 AM
It was the trading card game for gameboy advanced. You started with one of three different decks (grass, fire, water) battled your way earning booster packs and epic loot to beat the gym leaders.

Man I remember putting countless hours into that game, it was my favorite GBA game. I feel hex will be 1000 times more epic! :D

Aerensiniac
06-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Personally, i was playing pokemon tcg itself.
Good ol times... there was so much fun to be had there.

If the PvE content will be sufficient, i think Hex will have the potential to rule the online TCG market.
Hopefully the Devs wont come up with a static pve system and stop at that. Much like WoW, if this gets the constant proper updates, then its a bottomless bag of fun.
Also depending on the extent and amount of MMO "genes" they wish to implant. Cause i totally could go for a crafting system and what not.

nekoangel
06-05-2013, 04:28 AM
It was the trading card game for gameboy advanced. You started with one of three different decks (grass, fire, water) battled your way earning booster packs and epic loot to beat the gym leaders.

Man I remember putting countless hours into that game, it was my favorite GBA game. I feel hex will be 1000 times more epic! :D

was only playing this about a month ago on my tablet emulator.....

Nexi
06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
I remember some of the music being quite good for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMHWxN2U_w

larryhl
06-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I loved the GBA game. Wish they'd made more of those. Yu-Gi-Oh was always my second choice for handheld TCG fun.

Madican
06-05-2013, 11:47 AM
It wasn't for GBA. It was for the Gameboy Color.

Random360
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I played the gameboy version ALL the time. I swear to god it cheated out its ass, though.

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Can I just point out that this was for GBC, not GBA, and was a rather good game, and it had a sequel that was never localised.

The world could use more handheld TCG experiences, so if this came to 3DS, a lot of people would be happy.

larryhl
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Eh, played it with the backwards compatibility. Cuz I never found out what happened to my GBC...lost it in my house (yes, my house, not outside or anything).

FireSummoner
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Loved the game as a kid. I don't understand why they didn't make/release more for the US. I agree yugioh I picked up later was my go to for digital tcg.

Zomnivore
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
My mom got those gold plated I think it was mcdonalds promo things.

have like 3 binders of all the pokemon cards, was a good time.

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Same situation here - because the localised one didn't make the jump, the series wasn't continued, and I ended up adopting Yugioh for my handheld TCG needs.

Would be nice to have more options, without having to play it on a tablet/phone.

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I enjoyed the game, and played it fairly recently. I did enjoy the Pokemon TCG, but revisiting it recently (now that I have a much more strategic brain than a kid) made me realise how... simple the game is. >.<

Soul-of-Void
06-05-2013, 12:02 PM
played this too on PC and paper ver , + still got those cards :D

Tyrfang
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
...I remember the Pokemon Pinball game.

Jotora
06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Played the crap out of the Yu-Gi-Oh! games on the GBA. Never bought into the actual card game, though.

larryhl
06-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Played the crap out of the Yu-Gi-Oh! games on the GBA. Never bought into the actual card game, though.

Same here. Was cheaper to pay $30 for a game to play basically all the cards that were out than to actually go out and buy cards.

Jotora
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Same here. Was cheaper to pay $30 for a game to play basically all the cards that were out than to actually go out and buy cards.It was even cheaper if you borrowed the games. :)

My cousins were never that interested in them, and were too young to understand the high-level strategy and tactics that goes into deck building and playing, unfortunately. Otherwise I would have had quite a bit of fun teaching and playing with them. They were more interested in Pokemon (not the card game) and other GBA games. Oh, well.

But I do have a fond memory of using one of my cousin's poorly assembled decks (I think I tweaked it at least a little bit before using it) to defeat a computer player and subsequently open a booster that contained a Dark Magician. He was quite happy about that.

He wanted me to get that card for him, and I knew which pack had the highest chance of containing one, but I never thought I'd get it on the first try. I'm sure my Yu-Gi-Oh! skills were seen as god-like to him because of that-hahaha!

Indormi
06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I remember just missing mew lvl 17 or something like that to finish my collection on that game, I played so so so much that game. Further down the road I also played one yu-gi-oh on GBA. I still rememeber that when you completed the game you could "tick off" the limited rules and play with 4 of each card on your deck, 4 exodias plus 4 sets of creatures that took them into your hand problem?

Fun times, fun times indeed

Jotora
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
I remember just missing mew lvl 17 or something like that to finish my collection on that game, I played so so so much that game. Further down the road I also played one yu-gi-oh on GBA. I still rememeber that when you completed the game you could "tick off" the limited rules and play with 4 of each card on your deck, 4 exodias plus 4 sets of creatures that took them into your hand problem?

Fun times, fun times indeedI remember that too. I remember in Duel Academy the banned and restricted list of cards changed every once in a while, which was annoying and kind of neat at the same time.

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Fun times, fun times indeed

Shouldn't it have been 3 of each card? If not, that sounds like a blast - I would go find the specific game just to play with more cards.

Indormi
06-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Shouldn't it have been 3 of each card? If not, that sounds like a blast - I would go find the specific game just to play with more cards.

It would probably be 3, but yeah you couldnt lose pretty much exodia on your hand on turn 6.