PDA

View Full Version : IDEA: Making Player Keeps able to function like player-made PVP Dungeons !!!

GambitKing
06-05-2013, 03:21 AM
So I had this cool idea that the keeps could function like PVP dungeons in the same vein as Ubisofts new dungeon crawler game "Mighty Quest for Epic Loot," where players make their own dungeons, with all kinds of monsters, traps and paths with the players loot at the heart of the dungeon.

They are able to attack each others dungeons, or in HEX's case Keeps, but when they lose they are able to take revenge on the player who raided they're dungeon and also defend it while they're attacking. I just think this concept would be epic if it were a game type in HEX, as would add another facet to the already busting seems of features this game has to offer.

What do you guys think of this Idea? :D

Beastmaster
06-05-2013, 03:37 AM
I think they are already planning on letting you customise the dungeons beyond decks - they mentioned archers and kraken tentacles already. As for playing the defence decks yourself, I think that using AI separates this Keep Defence from normal PvP putting the focus on deckbuilding not play and that is a good thing from my point of view as there is already a huge focus on playing and using net decks in tournaments - let the Keeps be all about deck building instead.

It would be interesting if the brought back PvP with an ante like in the original rules tho..

GambitKing
06-05-2013, 03:46 AM
I think they are already planning on letting you customise the dungeons beyond decks - they mentioned archers and kraken tentacles already. As for playing the defence decks yourself, I think that using AI separates this Keep Defence from normal PvP putting the focus on deckbuilding not play and that is a good thing from my point of view as there is already a huge focus on playing and using net decks in tournaments - let the Keeps be all about deck building instead.

It would be interesting if the brought back PvP with an ante like in the original rules tho..

Well my whole idea is kinda void now, cause they were pretty much already doin it :L,I kinda see your point, but I think the AI can do only so much, and adding the factor that the owner of the Keep can jump in at anytime or spring some trap, or sabotaging of some sort during game, just adds another degree of difficulty and pressure to the game type. Now obviously this can be done by AI, but i think it would be cool of being able to defend the keep yourself, to give that sense of ownership and satisfaction when you successfully defend it.

Vorsa
06-05-2013, 04:11 AM
That would be very cool - would need some kind of system against exploitation though e.g. making a super easy keep-dungeon that can be looted effortlessly, making a low offense healing deck that can be farmed for "damage dealt" achievements etc.
(N.B. I don't think player-controlled-defenses would work unless there's no reward, since anyone could just pass on all their turns to give their friends wins.)

I think that it would work very nicely as a modular system though - e.g. keeps have "moat" slots in which you can deploy an aquatic defender/monster deck, "underground" slots in which you can deploy a rogue/subterranean monster deck - so Cryptozoic can ensure the right level of challenge.

Maybe even be able to assign hazards such as the traps you mentioned, though with restrictions so that there are always sufficient actual battles - e.g.

Pitfall Trap [Underground]
Remove all copies of a random troop card from your deck for the duration of this dungeon.

Burden of Avarice [Sanctum]
Add 4 copies of Glittering Burden to your deck for the duration of this dungeon.
> Glittering Burden [Neutral Constant]
You cannot play this card or choose to discard it.

Then when someone adventures in your keep, they can choose a route and fight through all the decks you've assigned to reach the grand finale - loot ultimately determined by how many defenses they overcame along the way.

Mercenaries could perhaps be assigned their own decks (by Cryptozoic I mean), and be limited wildcards that you can place anywhere; so if you have patchy underground options, you can position Glorfenblort there to strengthen defenses - but persistent/lucky players can still find a route through that avoids all your mercenaries.

In fact; I remember hearing that in WildStar - an upcoming MMO with housing PvE & PvP features - it is possible to 'capture' raid bosses and bring them back home to use in such content... that would be quite a fun feat to mimic! :D

GambitKing
06-05-2013, 04:25 AM
That would be very cool - would need some kind of system against exploitation though e.g. making a super easy keep-dungeon that can be looted effortlessly, making a low offense healing deck that can be farmed for "damage dealt" achievements etc.
(N.B. I don't think player-controlled-defenses would work unless there's no reward, since anyone could just pass on all their turns to give their friends wins.)

I think that it would work very nicely as a modular system though - e.g. keeps have "moat" slots in which you can deploy an aquatic defender/monster deck, "underground" slots in which you can deploy a rogue/subterranean monster deck - so Cryptozoic can ensure the right level of challenge.

Maybe even be able to assign hazards such as the traps you mentioned, though with restrictions so that there are always sufficient actual battles - e.g.

Pitfall Trap [Underground]
Remove all copies of a random troop card from your deck for the duration of this dungeon.

Burden of Avarice [Sanctum]
Add 4 copies of Glittering Burden to your deck for the duration of this dungeon.
> Glittering Burden [Neutral Constant]
You cannot play this card or choose to discard it.

Then when someone adventures in your keep, they can choose a route and fight through all the decks you've assigned to reach the grand finale - loot ultimately determined by how many defenses they overcame along the way.

Mercenaries could perhaps be assigned their own decks, and be limited wildcards that you can place anywhere; so if you have patchy underground options, you can position Glorfenblort there to strengthen defenses - but persistent/lucky players can still choose a route through that avoids all your mercenaries.

In fact; I remember hearing that in WildStar - an upcoming MMO with housing PvE & PvP features - it is possible to 'capture' raid bosses and bring them back home to use in such content... that would be quite a fun feat to mimic! :D

You are spot on with your ideas! :D

Especially with the idea of different paths and all, so it gives the feel of a PvE dungeon, but its actually your Keep (dungeon) that is fully customisable, having the different types of paths you can take, with different combinations of traps and enemies and so on. Also having the type of enemies be connected to where they are placed in the keep is a cool idea, so in the moat you would be versing water related, sapphire-type cards and then in the underground paths you could be versing dwarfs or any other race from the underworld faction or instead races that are not apart of a faction but is underground related.

Also with the traps/buffs they could make them Keep PvP only cards, but if deciding to make it available to players they could just nerf the cards so they aren't OP. Or they could make traps/buffs like additional champion/keep charge powers. Also there could be a set number of traps and other Keep related cards for your disposal so that you still have the advantage when defending your keep but you are not to OP, but to give the sense that you do have they upper hand, and it just makes the satisfaction of successfully raiding a high level Keep that much satisfying after you have fail a couple times.

That wildstar idea is a great idea that could be implemented, but they should make them rare drops, so that players would need to farm for the raid bosses to be used in their Keep, furthermore to make it fair their should be only 1 boss-level deck or enemy in each keep, to give it the standard-dungeon feel. :D

In relation to your statement on making easy keeps so people can farm them for rewards/achievements, the penalty for unsuccessfully defending your keep could be you have to put cards up in the treasure room/chest or something of significance to a player, to keep people from farming easy wins.