PDA

View Full Version : Digital is great, but...

theophanya
06-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Digital has its great sides, but if something happens to this game you're left with squat. Standard TCGs let you keep the cards and enjoy the game practically for a lifetime even if the game stops support. What are your thoughts? GO!

Pentregarth
06-05-2013, 03:30 AM
This argument has been around as long as dTCG's themselves (Penny Arcade even did a strip about it recently ^^), but the same can be pretty much said about "real" TCGs as well - of course, you get to keep the cards, but if the company publishing them stops and nobody plays the game anymore, you're sitting on a bunch of cards with no use other than riffling through every now and then for the fond memories (or the regret of "oh my god, why did I spend so much on this").

That being said, the only reason for CZE to stop supporting HEX would be if nobody plaid it anymore (which, in a real TCG, would leave you with the situation above), so I really believe they are not at all that different.

ForgedSol
06-05-2013, 03:35 AM
We're moving into a more digital world every day. People have the same complaints about physical books and ebooks. You know what? I hate physical books. They take up too much space, they're hard to hold, I've destroyed more than a few due to mold or breaking the binding, I've lost parts of a series, I need a light to read them and they can't be lit easily, I forget my place because I lose my bookmarks, I hate writing in them but wish I could leave myself notes sometimes. I abandoned physical books for ebooks as soon as I could. Before it was just all in a one device in my palm pilot, now my entire library floats in the cloud and I can stop reading on my phone, and pick up on my kindle, then switch and still continue from the same place by audiobook while I'm driving! Electronic all the way!

Most of those initial complaints I have about books I have the same thing for physical cards. It's a trade off of conveniences, and for me, digital outweighs the physical by a wide margin. Not to mention I'll actually be able to find people to play with on a regular basis with Hex because of that digital-ness. I have beloved Magic cards that sit there for months at a time, and sometimes I think what's the point... then the collector in me prevents me from selling those cards.

McKahlan
06-05-2013, 04:17 AM
[...]You know what? I hate physical books.
Oh my my my my my!

How can you say something like that? Holding a good old book is the best feeling ever. E-books don't even come close to it. I've heard a lot of things about the pros and cons of e-books but that is the first time I'm seeing someone saying that books sucks.... Impressive. I do respect you point of view but I found it really strange.
You can't even, just, borrow a book to someone. You can't even put a small message when you gift it to someone. The pleasure of flipping the pages! The joy of finding that one book in a library! E-books are probably more practital but paper books are way more emotional!

TheWrathofShane
06-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Digital card games ALL DAY.

Why??? I can play ANYTIME I WANT!! 24-7!! Always find someone to play with. OH and no more spending 10 minutes shuffling a new deck!!!

My favorite childhood game was Pokemon trading card game for GBA!! I beat that game so many times and put countless hours into it! HEX is going to be sooo much better then that!!

TheWrathofShane
06-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Oh my my my my my!

How can you say something like that? Holding a good old book is the best feeling ever. E-books don't even come close to it. I've heard a lot of things about the pros and cons of e-books but that is the first time I'm seeing someone saying that books sucks.... Impressive. I do respect you point of view but I found it really strange.
You can't even, just, borrow a book to someone. You can't even put a small message when you gift it to someone. The pleasure of flipping the pages! The joy of finding that one book in a library! E-books are probably more practital but paper books are way more emotional!

Actually I prefer reading my bible online over physical copy now. Its just as emotional, and I can instant google search any question and get the correct answer :P

nrflorencio
06-05-2013, 05:27 AM
Squat... youre left with squat

jai151
06-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Oh my my my my my!

It's funny, I've lent far more e-books than physical.

tgm0112
06-05-2013, 05:46 AM
I've made the conversion to ebooks (and audiobooks on my phone for that matter... Audible! I love you so much!). Vonnegut and Card survived the transition no worse for wear. I think this "holding a book in your hands" thing is more nostalgia than anything else. The words and evocation are no less powerful than in printed form.

Digital card games ALL DAY.

Why??? I can play ANYTIME I WANT!! 24-7!! Always find someone to play with. OH and no more spending 10 minutes shuffling a new deck!!!

My favorite childhood game was Pokemon trading card game for GBA!! I beat that game so many times and put countless hours into it! HEX is going to be sooo much better then that!!

This. So much this. And not just the Pokemon one.

CCGs on the Gameboy system were amazingly compelling. They had it all: the rush of getting new cards, tweaking your deck synergy, a feeling of your collection becoming much more than it started as; and all without a single PVP match-up.

The around-the-clock ability to play with others pretty much destroys physical TCGs in my (e)book.

Rapkannibale
06-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Other than the fact that the situation is very similar when a physical TCG stops being made, I also look at it as paying for entertainment, not the actual cards. Playing and paying for a dTCG is like paying for a ride at a fair or to go to the movies. You don't get to take the roller coaster home or the movie but you do take the memories and the enjoyment home (how cheesy I know).

So even if in 2, 3, 10 years Hex closes it's digital doors, it will have provided me with hours upon hours of entertainment. And that is what I paid for. So as long as the game is fun and there is a good community around it, I am sure I won't regret my investment. :)

Stok3d
06-05-2013, 09:07 AM
With Paper:

What happens if there if your house gets hit by a tornado, catches fire, or is flooded?
What happens if you leave your box somewhere or your car gets broken into?
What happens if someone knocks over the beer on your table?
What do you do if your buddies don't feel like playing?
What do you do if your roommate/sibling/dog get into your cards while you're away?

Value risks are inherent in anything. Again, those cards are just a piece of cardboard. If another game comes out that dwindles interest, it won't be worth anything either.

I prefer digital any day as my paper hasn't seen activity in many years...

maniza
06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
il let you in on a secret, back in the day music wasent digital, movies werent digital, but now they are and they are better for it i expect tcgs to be no difrent.

Liokae
06-05-2013, 09:34 AM
When the game finally ends up closing shop, the only thing I'd specifically expect is for them to add an offline cardview and 'download library' function, and if we're really lucky, a direct-connect casual play client. Just let me keep my collection to look at/rifle through, and if the resources can be spared, throw down games with friends.

larryhl
06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I spent all of my time playing Yu-Gi-Oh in the digital card space. So much cheaper, so much more fun, so much more replayable. If Cryptozoic ever decides to take Hex offline, I hope they at least leave us with the ability to continue playing through the single player PvE content as much as we want as a downloadable game.

MugenMusou
06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
This argument has been around as long as dTCG's themselves (Penny Arcade even did a strip about it recently ^^), but the same can be pretty much said about "real" TCGs as well - of course, you get to keep the cards, but if the company publishing them stops and nobody plays the game anymore, you're sitting on a bunch of cards with no use other than riffling through every now and then for the fond memories (or the regret of "oh my god, why did I spend so much on this").

That being said, the only reason for CZE to stop supporting HEX would be if nobody plaid it anymore (which, in a real TCG, would leave you with the situation above), so I really believe they are not at all that different.

Good reasoning.

I would add one more. Considering the digital, it will let you connect people worldwide, so you have higher chance of being able to find someone else to play with than local/physical play even years later.

Another argument would be physical product can perish, risk of losing etc.

As far as value of the product goes both are similar. Once no one plays the physical game, the value of the cards becomes negligible (unless there is hardcore collector).

So yeah I did have the concern several years back but not so much anymore.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
This game will fail and everyone will lose their precious virtually cards. So what?

larryhl
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
And as soon as Yasi comes back, he starts trolling all the posts...

supasnake
06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
I tell you what, I've played paper magic for 5 years now and have always wished I could have got in at the ground level. This is a great opportunity to get in early on what should be an amazing game. I spent $900 recently for me and my family to spend a day at a theme park. Spending $500 on something that could last quite some time and bring hours upon hours of enjoyment for me and my family is fine by me.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I tell you what, I've played paper magic for 5 years now and have always wished I could have got in at the ground level. This is a great opportunity to get in early on what should be an amazing game. I spent $900 recently for me and my family to spend a day at a theme park. Spending $500 on something that could last quite some time and bring hours upon hours of enjoyment for me and my family is fine by me.

That's what I like to see-some logical reasoning.

MTree
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Digital games also let you have new mechanics you could not do in the real world such as drawing a random card from an entire card listing or the stalk mechanic. In their stream yesterday Crypto stated that their set 2 will be heavily focus on mechanics that could only be handled digitally.

wererat
06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I was a big fan of the card game chaotic. Physical cards with digital codes for the online game. When it lost steam at my local store I atleast had the online game to play with the same cards.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
I was a big fan of the card game chaotic. Physical cards with digital codes for the online game. When it lost steam at my local store I atleast had the online game to play with the same cards.

Chaotic is relatively new to start with as well. Which might have helped.

theophanya
06-05-2013, 11:35 AM
That's what I like to see-some logical reasoning.

Originally Posted by supasnake

Not too logical when 900$ is the family budget for the month :(