PDA

View Full Version : Board Art & Gameplay

elstob
06-05-2013, 05:50 AM
I've been following Hex pretty closely since the Kickstarter was announced (pledged GK&Collector) and one thing I haven't seen anybody talking about is the animated board actions during turn changes. Now this may have been discussed elsewhere in which case please direct me accordingly but otherwise please indulge me.

Edit: It's phases. I'm stupid, lets just talk about the UI now.

You'll notice that in the middle of the table there is large symbol surrounded by 8 smaller symbols. Each turn one of these symbols "lights" up and this lit symbol becomes the larger symbol in the centre of the table. Currently I've seen nothing to suggest that this is anything more than a cosmetic effect but I can't shake the feeling that it is/will be more to it than that.

My guess would be that this is going to represent some form of Zodiac/Cycle system and that certain cards in the future will have an affinity/weakness in alignment to one or more of these symbol types. This could certainly add an interesting twist to the game due to play order considerations etc. Or of course it could just be that it looks cool and has nothing to do with future gameplay whatsoever. Anybody else have any thoughts on this or can point me to more information I may have missed?

Fireblast
06-05-2013, 05:52 AM
It represents the turn phase you're in.

~

FranzVonG
06-05-2013, 05:53 AM
I think that these are only representing the different phases of the turn, and they light up when you actually are in that phase.

About that, I don't like how cards cover those icons, I would make them smaller maybe but keep them always visible

EDIT: beaten, and by a French! :rolleyes::p

elstob
06-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Urgh yeah going back and looking that's completely obvious isn't it? Thanks!

Fireblast
06-05-2013, 06:01 AM
About that, I don't like how cards cover those icons, I would make them smaller maybe but keep them always visible

I for one don't really like the UI, it's too flashy & animated. I'd like a very clear 2D one to ease my eyes.
I'm pretty sure I'll have it later down the road when the animations and lights will bore everyone else :)

We also unlocked different game boards art with stretch goal, so might not be bored so quickly :D

EDIT: beaten, and by a French! :rolleyes::p
Rare enough to be noticed, huh?

~

Pwn1nP3nquin
06-05-2013, 06:56 AM
I for one don't really like the UI, it's too flashy & animated. I'd like a very clear 2D one to ease my eyes.
As you said, we unlocked different game boards. Some of them will be very flashy and animated, but I'm positive they will provide a game board that is more simplistic so people have that option.

I was just about to make a thread about the game board art giving a few suggestions to the guys at Cryptozoic. Now I know what we have seen are early builds and they have said that they will be working on the art, but I just wanted to throw these out there in case they haven't noticed:

I will use the following image for my suggestions, each color corresponds to a number below.
http://i.imgur.com/atBbJib.png

1. Purple: This is one of the biggest peeves I have with the game board right now. Where the troops are placed on the battlefield, they cover up the lower and upper halves of the "turn dial/tracker" so it is very hard to see which turn is active.
Suggestion: Instead of having the turn tracker in a circular pattern, make the icons line up horizontally at the middle of the game board. (Where the purple rectangle is located.) This will give players the ability to see every phase icon during the turn and will especially help to eliminate confusion because most of us are trained to read from left to right, so if the turn phases were lined up from left to right, we could easily keep track of which phase of the turn we are on and what is coming next.

2. Red and Green: The flames that shoot up at the middle of the board during the attack phase is a wonderful animation, but it stretches out too far over the game board. It especially interferes with the player timers on the left. (Red Circle)
Suggestion: This is probably mostly personal preference, but I think it would look much cleaner if the flames only shot up along the diameter of the middle circle, the part of the board that contains the troops. (Along the green line.)

3. Pink-ish: This was another thing I noticed during yesterday's livestream. The Shin'hare champion art eclipses the threshold/resource gems on the game board (Pink circle). This is a minor gripe, but something I would like to see fixed.

4. Yellow: (I know this is rough on the eyes, but I've tried like 5 different yellows. Sorry!) This is absolutely based on personal preference, but I am used to seeing my opponents cards facing away from me. It feels weird when I look at the game board and the opponents cards face towards me. I would prefer to have them rotated around and if I don't know what they do, I can click on them for a preview. The text is too small to read card effects from the game board anyway.
Suggestion: Give players the option (in system settings, or possibly a toggle icon on the game board) to rotate their opponents card towards or away from themselves.

If you took the time to read this huge wall of text, thanks!

P.S. Ignore the attached thumbnails...

DjiN
06-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Good analysis Pwn1nP3nquin!

Kami
06-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Well, they did state that their UI team has just recently been settled into their office. I expect massive UI improvements over the next few weeks.

They've also started consulting Pro TCG players apparently.

Pwn1nP3nquin
06-05-2013, 08:07 AM
That's good to hear Kami, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the UI.

bladedragonfire
06-05-2013, 08:16 AM
I like the idea with the icons in the middle, makes a lot of sense in fact :P Also like the flames idea as well, but to expand on that; maybe have the icons explode into the flames during the combat portion, and then race around the inner circle. Would look neat and eliminate overlap of the symbols and flames.

Refugee
06-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Although the turn phase ring in the middle can be obscured, that information is also shown on the left hand side of the board between the game clocks.

FranzVonG
06-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Also, the "Pass Priority" and "Continue" are dangerously in the same place. I know it make sense from a graphic point of view, but I foresee many grim faces from people that click too much, too quick ;)

Pwn1nP3nquin
06-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Also, the "Pass Priority" and "Continue" are dangerously in the same place. I know it make sense from a graphic point of view, but I foresee many grim faces from people that click too much, too quick ;)

Yes I agree with this. When I was watching them play on the stream, I could see myself getting click happy and accidentally skipping an important phase. On top of this, I would get so tired of clicking that button 8 times every turn. I think a better system could be implemented. The one that comes to mind is MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers' system.

There is a 1-2 second timer for each phase before it automatically goes to the next phase. This way, you would only be prepared to click if you knew you were going to play a quick action and we wouldn't be forced to click 200+ times per match.

Although the turn phase ring in the middle can be obscured, that information is also shown on the left hand side of the board between the game clocks.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice! But I still feel like most people's focus will be on the center of the game board where all of the action is happening and that would be the best place for the phase icons. It would be especially helpful because new players could see what phases have already passed and what phases are left before the end of the turn. If they implemented it this way, they could remove the icon from in between the player clocks and condense those down. Maybe put a turn counter there to keep track of how many turns have passed?

DjiN
06-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Sometimes you just need to think. A 2 second timer would result in permanent stress I feel.

larryhl
06-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm not a fan of the timer in DotP. I'd rather skip the 2 seconds if I knew I was just going to pass (no option to do that in DotP) and if I did have something I want to play, I want more than 2 seconds to realize that I can do something (sometimes I forget to freeze the timer before trying to play the card).

What I would like to see is the options maybe in a list/bar - Pass Priority, Continue, Skip, etc. like what the Yu-Gi-Oh Game Boy games had, and gray out the ones that didn't apply. This makes more use of your available screen real estate and also makes it so you can't double click by accident and suddenly miss your turn.

Pwn1nP3nquin
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
What I would like to see is the options maybe in a list/bar - Pass Priority, Continue, Skip, etc. like what the Yu-Gi-Oh Game Boy games had, and gray out the ones that didn't apply.

I like this idea.

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes I agree with this. When I was watching them play on the stream, I could see myself getting click happy and accidentally skipping an important phase. On top of this, I would get so tired of clicking that button 8 times every turn. I think a better system could be implemented. The one that comes to mind is MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers' system.

There is a 1-2 second timer for each phase before it automatically goes to the next phase. This way, you would only be prepared to click if you knew you were going to play a quick action and we wouldn't be forced to click 200+ times per match.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice! But I still feel like most people's focus will be on the center of the game board where all of the action is happening and that would be the best place for the phase icons. It would be especially helpful because new players could see what phases have already passed and what phases are left before the end of the turn. If they implemented it this way, they could remove the icon from in between the player clocks and condense those down. Maybe put a turn counter there to keep track of how many turns have passed?

No timers, dear god no timers. this is an MMO, one crappy connection could mean the difference between a win and a loss - this is the worst idea ever. DoTP sucked for this, TRULY sucked, and it was enforced even in AI matches (why the hell would you have to go fast against AI?)

EntropyBall
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
No timers, dear god no timers. this is an MMO, one crappy connection could mean the difference between a win and a loss - this is the worst idea ever. DoTP sucked for this, TRULY sucked, and it was enforced even in AI matches (why the hell would you have to go fast against AI?)

I like the timer in DotP. Its not like it takes much time to just pause it. If you aren't sure you want to do something, you just pause it and think, then unpause or take your action. And they had to implement the timer against the AI so people would get used to it and know how it worked in PVP matches.

I think a timer is probably their best bet for multiplayer games, that and eliminating priority order. So someone takes an action and everyones timer starts counting down at once. If no one pauses, the action resolves, if anyone does, the timer gets reset for everyone. Unlike DotP though, there should be a way to pass through that 2 seconds if you have no action you want to take. I would say it should auto-pass if you have no action you could take, but that gives your opponent some additional info.

Pwn1nP3nquin
06-05-2013, 12:06 PM
No timers, dear god no timers. this is an MMO, one crappy connection could mean the difference between a win and a loss - this is the worst idea ever.)

Yeah, now that you guys have pointed out some things, I agree it's not the best idea. I was just trying to come up with a way to be lazy. :cool:

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I like the timer in DotP. Its not like it takes much time to just pause it. If you aren't sure you want to do something, you just pause it and think, then unpause or take your action. And they had to implement the timer against the AI so people would get used to it and know how it worked in PVP matches.

I think a timer is probably their best bet for multiplayer games, that and eliminating priority order. So someone takes an action and everyones timer starts counting down at once. If no one pauses, the action resolves, if anyone does, the timer gets reset for everyone. Unlike DotP though, there should be a way to pass through that 2 seconds if you have no action you want to take. I would say it should auto-pass if you have no action you could take, but that gives your opponent some additional info.

In 4+ player games, yes it is the only rational thing to do. In 1v1 it is a terrible idea.