PDA

View Full Version : Re: Keeps and the story behind them

Nexi
06-05-2013, 07:53 AM
As best as I can tell, Keeps are effectively your game hub. All your characters hang out there, it is where you store your "stuff" from your adventures, your assorted heroes are dubbed to be "of (keep name here)" and they can be customized to some extent to reflect personal preference. They can also be challenged by other players looking for a slice of your proverbial pie (or cake, I wont judge).

The reason I have this in Story and Lore is with regards to setting up your keep to be challenged by other players. Is there any system in place to allow us as players to write our own lore regarding the existence of our keep, the decks that get played in it and how you envision the battle to go down as an opponent makes their way to the end of the challenge you have set.

Example, I have a keep with 3 decks being played (3 because that was what I heard in the twitch stream and due to lack of any other info, if someone could shed light on how many decks we can have holding our keep that would be great).
If I want to say "blah blah keep originally owned by the dragons in ages past, left in the hands of dwarven caretakers and with outlying towns inhabited by humans" Is it possible for me as a player to write a story to that effect for each step of the keep challenge that can be read by the players challenging it, giving some context to the decks that are being played?

If not currently on the cards (hurr I made a pun) would other players support something like that being implemented? comment, criticize or support, improve my idea if you think it isn't quite complete.

Dragonguard
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
+1

I think this would be a great idea, However, reading this information should not be made mandatory (not that you said it should be) and should just be made available for lore freaks. (like me)

Nexi
06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Yep, not mandatory for sure, more a case of it appearing in a side window when you click on the node for the keep stage you are about to challenge, providing the UI is similar to how I assume the dungeon running works based on screenshots.

Rejha
06-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Really great idea! Always nice to add some lore to anything you can. o3o

Sholynyk
06-13-2013, 08:08 AM
What I thought would be interesting is if keeps could be designed like dungeons. Aka a keep upgrade could be something like a crypt and every turn / second turn a zombie would appear in the field of play. I thought it would go great with setting up your own story with the keep for what upgrades you can buy and what decks you set up to defend it. Those kind of upgrades would then be optional to defeat but if you did would make challenging your "boss" deck easier, which you could choose another perk/upgrade for. I think most of these upgrades would also be best as unlock able through pve and not just expensive. This would make people search through the story to try and find the best lore that they like to be comparable with their own. It would be akin to creating our own mini quest lines. I think that would be awesome. (Also maybe allow guilds to create their own raids?). We could have guilds which would specifically take roles (human themes/ undead themes) and they base their guilds and story around that. Then would compete fiercely to create the best dungeons for the others to come to their dooms in an attempt to beat them.

Let me know if you support or hate this idea and why, or suggestions on how to make it better.

Nexi
06-13-2013, 05:40 PM
I like the idea of having a guild hall as a raid with a similar set up to the keeps but with raid bosses and a better loot pool but I think there might be a better way of challenging a guild. The idea of keep upgrades affecting cards is pretty cool, there would need to be a limit of 2 or 3 or perhaps rather than affecting all cards in your keep, you can change how the deck plays based on "where" it is played. Working with your crypt idea, say one of your decks defending the keep is located in the crypt, then they can benefit from a zombie spawner.

Xaxius
06-13-2013, 11:46 PM
as long as someone is actively removing any inappropriate "lore" then ill be fine with it.

Sholynyk
06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I think that is a good point regarding the where, (the one deck defending the crypt gets the bonus) but I think it would be even more interesting if a player/guild was able to bypass the crypt to head straight (or maybe not so straight?) to the boss deck depending on how the guild constructed their dungeon. But if they bypass these upgrades the boss deck will keep the bonuses that would have otherwise been eliminated making it harder for them to defeat.

The possibilities tha could be done with this system makes me very excited and I hope something similar to it is created :)

Nexi
06-14-2013, 04:52 AM
as long as someone is actively removing any inappropriate "lore" then ill be fine with it.
I would assume there would be a filter on use of inappropriate terms etc to prevent undesirable stories being told, or a report function.

sjosten
06-14-2013, 04:02 PM
What would be defined as "inappropriate lore?" I mean, this game already has blood sacrifices and the concubunnies.

Dynark
07-02-2013, 04:25 AM
What would be defined as "inappropriate lore?" I mean, this game already has blood sacrifices and the concubunnies.

I would think, that it is more about the choice of words than the content. Sure, bad things happens in that world and some keeps will be the epicenter of horror, thats fine, but if you have the opportunity to "say/tell" the people something who are invading your keep, you can be sure, there are some who will insult and flame you there with words, I wont use right now.

On an other topic(well... the original one):

I do not know how they will implement it. But there could be two things, that could be interesting.
a) If the lore of this keep is great and fits, the keep could be recommended/nominated to the devs, who might "knight" this dungeon so it becomes canon. Maybe, if they feel very generous even create some extra pictures/maps for these. (Thats unlikely, but maybe these people that reach canon-status are rewarded by some nice stuff)

b) The keeps are rated after one has played through. You could imagine something like
"overall o--------------x-----O"
"difficulty o-----x---------------O"
"story o---x-----------------O"
"keywords " with buttons to click (Shin'hare, Medieval, Hightower, Vennen, & idk)
If you look for a dungeon to rap... raid you see a list, with the dungeons, you can filter and sort by the answers that were given, so if you feel like 'Today I got a open mind, a hard one with great story' you know what to do, if you just want to click through, you know how to sort too.
There would be some honor in creating you own keep exiting for the others to conquer.

Just two ideas.