PDA

View Full Version : Exahsting with summoning sickness

BlackRoger
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I wonder if anyone has an answer to this.

In the latest twitch stream vid, the dwarf deck player (that was Ben I think?) used the construction plans artifact to tap creatures which had summoning sickness.

Now, from my limited knowledge about magic, from where most of Hex's rules come from, a creature that has summoning sickness cannot be tapped to activate neither its own ability, nor the ability of another card.

Does that mean that in hex creatures can exhaust the turn they come into play or is that only possible under some special circumstances?

Fireblast
06-05-2013, 08:45 AM
You cannot use exhaust powers on the card, but it can be exhausted by another card as payment cost.
It works like that in MtG and WOWTCG too :)

~

houjix
06-05-2013, 08:46 AM
There is a difference in using an exhaust power of the card itself and being exhausted by the effect of another card. WoW does this as well.

BlackRoger
06-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Hmm, strange, I'm pretty sure in magic's Duels of the Plainswalkers it did not allow me to tap my own creatures when they have summoning sickness, even if the effect does belong to another card.
As long as the effect cost was to tap a creature, a summoned sickness creature was not eligible.

McKahlan
06-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Could be, you have to know that DotP is just a way to get to know the rules for newer players.
There a some more advanced rules that does not takes place in DotP, this could be one of them!

MrCwis
06-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Duels of the Planeswalkers is a terrible game, and not representative of magic. But yes in magic you can use another card to tap your own creatures as a cost even though they have summoning sickness. But you can tap them to activate their own abilities while they have summoning sickness which is where people get confused sometimes. I believe WOWTCG has a similar rule, and it looks like Hex will be the same as well.

DeusPhasmatis
06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
No, in Magic, summoning sickness doesn't let you attack or use abilities that require the tap symbol. Abilities that just require you to tap can be used on creatures with summoning sickness.

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_arcana_604_pic2_en.jpg

Evilgm
06-05-2013, 09:20 AM
It generally breaks down to whether or not the "tap/exhaust" symbol is used. If it is, then you can't use a card you haven't controlled since the beginning of your turn. If it has the word "tap/exhaust" then you can use anyone. An example in Magic is Captivating Vampire (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205041).

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
DoTP does have this - I have seen many times a token created by the selesnya deck by tapping a card with summoning sickness as a cost.

I don't know, but I have run into bugs online at least that don't let you interact with cards properly, and the AI cheats at times etc, but overall its faithful to the majority of the core rules.

It is still horrendous though.