PDA

View Full Version : Rare Drafting - MTG:O example

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 09:46 AM
There were some questions that came my way regarding how do you actually rare draft?

Well, I am still planning to stream rare drafts in the future, but I rather that be in Hex in 3 months, then spending money in MTG:O now.

The below example is a pure example of how to rare draft. They take every single card that is either "Rare" or "Mythic".

In MTG - the rarity of a card is indicated on the middle right of the card by the color of the symbol.
For example:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=191379&type=card
You can see the M10 on this card is a orange shade - meaning it is a Mythic (equivalent to legendary)
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=221898&type=card
You can see the M12 on this card is Gold - meaning it is Rare

In Hex - from what I can gather the color at the very bottom of the card is the rarity. From what I have observed, White is common, Green is uncommon, blue is rare, and red is legendary. There are also other colors that may symbolize crafted cards and unique PvE cards.
Example:
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LegionanaireOfAdam_Gear_Web.png
The blue below the card indicates it is a Rare
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/EyeOfCreation_Gear_Web.png
The red below the card indicates it is a Legendary

Here is the pure Rare draft video. You will see that they get 3 "Legendary" cards, and 7 "Rare" cards in the draft where usually a player would only get 3 total Rare and/or Legendary for the packs they open. The cards may not be great, and they might not make a good draft deck, but they were able to get 10 packs worth of Legendary and/or Rare cards for the price of 3 packs (entry fee).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0xOVMigbI

Let me know if you have any questions?
The thread I am linking this to is the Spending Money in Hex - Strategy thread:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24477

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Good job putting something like this up Nico.

One thing I'll mention to prospective drafters - consider that any booster prizes you don't win is also a lost rare. So sometimes, passing up one or two rares in order to get a good or great card for your deck will end up paying for itself due to the rares you get from your prize packs.

jai151
06-05-2013, 09:53 AM
The big problem with rare drafting is it's not efficient. The three packs unopened plus the entry fee are often worth more than the drafted rares, and that's not taking into account any winnings. It also assumes that all rares will fall through to you.

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
The big problem with rare drafting is it's not efficient. The three packs unopened plus the entry fee are often worth more than the drafted rares, and that's not taking into account any winnings. It also assumes that all rares will fall through to you.

I don't recommend rare drafting for people that want to "make money".
I recommend rare drafting for people that want to get more rare and legendary cards for their money.

Rather than just opening their pack and getting their random and potentially bad rare, they increase their chance at something good, or at least can grab more cards they don't have.

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Well really with a rare draft, all you're doing is drafting normally, but if you see a rare, you take it without thought (where as normal drafting would still have you comparing that card to all the others). But yeah, for junk rares it's not going to give you much extra trading power - but to each their own. I'd probably snag up a highly valued rare if it fell through though, even if it was unplayable in my deck.

facade
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM
I recommend rare drafting for people that want to get more rare and legendary cards for their money.

Rather than just opening their pack and getting their random and potentially bad rare, they increase their chance at something good, or at least can grab more cards they don't have.

One thing you have to consider with HEX though, is that there will be a lot of people going into a draft because it is a free perk. To these individuals, there is no cost to rare drafting aside from the time spent drafting and the opportunity cost of reducing ones chances to win the prizes.

The flip side, of course, is that I imagine that there will be a larger percentage of people rare drafting because of these perks, which will reduce the overall effectiveness of rare drafting.

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 10:11 AM
One thing you have to consider with HEX though, is that there will be a lot of people going into a draft because it is a free perk. To these individuals, there is no cost to rare drafting aside from the time spent drafting and the opportunity cost of reducing ones chances to win the prizes.

The flip side, of course, is that I imagine that there will be a larger percentage of people rare drafting because of these perks, which will reduce the overall effectiveness of rare drafting.

Very true. Nonetheless, if and when this game takes off retail, this information will become more valuable. There is little incentive to rare draft in set 1 during beta, as almost every backer has a ridiculous amount of cards.

jtatta
06-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I honestly can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. If for serious, I think it's hilarious that anyone would need a "guide" on how to select a rare/legendary from the pack. If it's a troll, well done.

Tyrfang
06-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I honestly can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. If for serious, I think it's hilarious that anyone would need a "guide" on how to select a rare/legendary from the pack. If it's a troll, well done.

You would be surprised how often people post asking what rare drafting is...

jaxsonbateman
Just to make it clear guys - you don't even need to go into a draft with the intention to rare draft. And you don't need to go "full tilt rare draft", where you take every single rare without even thinking about it.

Simply put, any player can make a choice to rare draft a rare when they see it. It's that simple. Besides that, you draft perfectly normally. If no rares come after your first picks of each pack, you won't even get the chance to rare draft. So it's not that inefficient.

Pretty much, if you see a value rare, consider taking it over your normal pick. Otherwise, draft as normal.

Yasi
This is a digital card game so they can add in shiny borders or sparkly name or rainbow letters. Maybe sparkly letters will be used to indicate rare cards.

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
this is a digital card game so they can add in shiny borders or sparkly name or rainbow letters. Maybe sparkly letters will be used to indicate rare cards.

lol!

Not a troll. You'd be surprised how many people asked me about this. Also a lot of backers and people coming here are 100% new to TCG's. They have no clue.

jai151
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM

I'm not talking about making money. They could trade those packs and fee to get not just more rares than through drafting, but the rares that will help whatever deck they're building.

Rare drafting is a big gamble, the only time you're likely gonna come out ahead doing it is with free drafts, but at least for the first few months to a year the chances of those extra rares making it to you are slim to none.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
lol!

Huh? Sorry that wasn't meant to be funny...I think the shinyness will be reserved for foil cards though. Regarding the rarity, I don't see why they cant make it stand out more aside from the tiny ass color symbol.

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm not talking about making money. They could trade those packs and fee to get not just more rares than through drafting, but the rares that will help whatever deck they're building.

Rare drafting is a big gamble, the only time you're likely gonna come out ahead doing it is with free drafts, but at least for the first few months to a year the chances of those extra rares making it to you are slim to none.

Jai - The people I am targeting with this have no intention of "trading their packs". The people I am targeting are those people that would just sit and open 100 boosters they bought.
The counter intuitive part is asking those people that bought 100 boosters, to spend another $33 to enter drafts with them.

The other idea is that they get better at drafting, and in time, turn those 100 boosters into 133 boosters, which pays for their entry fees.

Huh? Sorry that wasn't meant to be funny...I think the shinyness will be reserved for foil cards though. Regarding the rarity, I don't see why they cant make it stand out more aside from the tiny ass color symbol.
Rainbow letters are always funny. Still a cool idea.. why not?
I don't think they want rarity though being associated with awesomeness in look and feel, as people may be drawn to picking and playing bad cards with rainbows and sparkles.

jai151
06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Jai - The people I am targeting with this have no intention of "trading their packs". The people I am targeting are those people that would just sit and open 100 boosters they bought.
The counter intuitive part is asking those people that bought 100 boosters, to spend another $33 to enter drafts with them.

The other idea is that they get better at drafting, and in time, turn those 100 boosters into 133 boosters, which pays for their entry fees.

If it's already counter intuitive to tell them to go rare draft, then at least teach them to do what will give them a better bang for their buck. I'd rather people get better at drafting, obviously, but having them go waste money isn't the way to do that.

As for Yasi, didn't he make a "I'm not playing this game I quit" post? The troll couldn't stay away, huh?

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
As for Yasi, didn't he make a "I'm not playing this game I quit" post? The troll couldn't stay away, huh?

Last night's stream persuaded me to give this game another try.

MasterN64
06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0xOVMigbI

Goddamn that video was hilarious. I dont play magic anymore but i kinda want to follow those guys and watch all their draft stuff.

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Goddamn that video was hilarious. I dont play magic anymore but i kinda want to follow those guys and watch all their draft stuff.

Yeah, it was pretty good.

To Jai, I will make content on drafting in the future. I am not a crazy good player myself. I dabble in the competitive scene because I like it. I hope to be able to help people by streaming drafts during beta.

Rare drafting does not help a new player learn how to draft, but will get them drafting, and will have them start to think of "how do I make these 45 cards playable?"

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah, it was pretty good.

To Jai, I will make content on drafting in the future. I am not a crazy good player myself. I dabble in the competitive scene because I like it. I hope to be able to help people by streaming drafts during beta.

Rare drafting does not help a new player learn how to draft, but will get them drafting, and will have them start to think of "how do I make these 45 cards playable?"

I'll keep a lookout on your stream. I have never experience with drafting. You also seem like a genuinely nice guy to follow.

MTree
06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
This is a digital card game so they can add in shiny borders or sparkly name or rainbow letters. Maybe sparkly letters will be used to indicate rare cards.

My vote is Unicorn stickers

Punk
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Rare drafting needs an explanation?

Tyrfang
06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Rare drafting needs an explanation?

Nah.
But that video was pretty hilarious.

Xoota
06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
As someone new to drafting... Sorry if the question is too dumb:

Can you make a collection just by normal drafting?

That is, this draft I'm going to try to draft this type of deck... that draft I'm going to try to draft this other type... Or are there many cards that are useless in a draft?

nicosharp
06-05-2013, 11:28 AM
As someone new to drafting... Sorry if the question is too dumb:

Can you make a collection just by normal drafting?

That is, this draft I'm going to try to draft this type of deck... that draft I'm going to try to draft this other type... Or are there many cards that are useless in a draft?

YES!
I recently drafted about 5 Simic decks in MTG:O (blue + green creatures in their game, that had a unique mechanic called evolve).
After about 3 drafts, I almost had a full playset of all the uncommons and commons I wanted for a constructed deck, and about 5-6 rares.

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
I will just highlight though that getting rares this way is just as difficult as opening boosters to get rares you need - chances are, you won't.

However, between your draft cards and prize boosters, you should get 4.5 rares on average - a fair amount of trade bait to try and get the rares you're actually after. ;-)