PDA

View Full Version : UI Features/Requests

nearlysober
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
We all know the game is in pre-Alpha, but based on what we've seen so far, I thought it might be a good idea to start a list of some observations for their considerations.

Things that are bugs (such as the "combat line-effect" not moving when cards shift) I will trust them to work out, this is more for enhancements & requests.

For example:

The Pass Priority button, and the Continue button may not want to be in the same spot. New players getting a little click happy to speed through to their turn may miss a window by accident.

It would be cool if the Champion charge counter had a indicator to show how many points a charge costs, like 0/3. It would help when playing against new Champions.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 10:11 AM
My big ones:

1) Tapping (or exhausting) to the left is HERESY. They should turn to the right damnit! At least give us the option.

2) The summoning sickness graphic that we saw the first time was better. It was over the entire card, rather than just the border, and was far more visible. I forget often as I watch that troops have summoning sickness.

3) Could resources be graphically represented rather than numerically? I was thinking a sort of charge-bar across the bottom of the screen with blocks that could fill/unfill. Something more visual rather than numerical. That was one of the things I always did in Magic, is make sure I visually represented my lands pleasingly, usually in 2 stacks or stacks of 2, depending on how many I had, so I could readily see how much I had available at a glance, without reading/counting. Obviously the number could be shown too, because when you get into the 10-20 range visual representation starts not working.

4) Similarly, could thresholds be represented visually, rather than numerically? Have multiple gems for your thresholds, and when you get to 5 a larger gem with a 5 on it to represent it.

5) I don't know if it's in or not, but the ability to reorder cards on the field of play. Sometimes THIS creature just belongs THERE, because reasons.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:14 AM
They had no plans to update the UI. The UI will stay the way it is forever. You are the first person to thought up of this idea.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
They had no plans to update the UI. The UI will stay the way it is forever. You are the first person to thought up of this idea.

I seem to remember you "quitting"...

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
I seem to remember you "quitting"...

I changed my mind after last night's stream.

ShaolinRaven
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
My big ones:

1) Tapping (or exhausting) to the left is HERESY. They should turn to the right damnit! At least give us the option.

2) The summoning sickness graphic that we saw the first time was better. It was over the entire card, rather than just the border, and was far more visible. I forget often as I watch that troops have summoning sickness.

3) Could resources be graphically represented rather than numerically? I was thinking a sort of charge-bar across the bottom of the screen with blocks that could fill/unfill. Something more visual rather than numerical. That was one of the things I always did in Magic, is make sure I visually represented my lands pleasingly, usually in 2 stacks or stacks of 2, depending on how many I had, so I could readily see how much I had available at a glance, without reading/counting. Obviously the number could be shown too, because when you get into the 10-20 range visual representation starts not working.

4) Similarly, could thresholds be represented visually, rather than numerically? Have multiple gems for your thresholds, and when you get to 5 a larger gem with a 5 on it to represent it.

5) I don't know if it's in or not, but the ability to reorder cards on the field of play. Sometimes THIS creature just belongs THERE, because reasons.

The only problem with visual vs numerical is that the visual representation for threshold and cost is harder to calculate at a glance when planning out multiple cards/effects, especially for new players.

If I can see I have 5 resources I can start planning my turn, but if I have bars I have to count the bars, remember how many bars I have as I'm calculating what cards/effects I can do, and still plan my turn. Numerical is just easier to keep up with.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
The only problem with visual vs numerical is that the visual representation for threshold and cost is harder to calculate at a glance when planning out multiple cards/effects, especially for new players.

If I can see I have 5 resources I can start planning my turn, but if I have bars I have to count the bars, remember how many bars I have as I'm calculating what cards/effects I can do, and still plan my turn. Numerical is just easier to keep up with.

Not to me. Which is why I suggested having BOTH visual and numerical representations.

MTree
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
It just looks way too much like DotP, IMO.

It would be nice if there were difference in the animations. Flying cards appear the exact same way (floating slightly over the gameboard) which is nice, but it would be cool if they could add some flavor to the animation such as small wings on the side/top of the cards that flutter .

Troop combat could be animated so that the cards crash into each other and having an explosion when one card is defeated. Maybe a sound effect for a troop when it gets discard. Imagine the sound of 10 Shin Hares being wiped out to a mass damage action. Hell voices for cards in general would be cool. Play a legendary? Get a cool 3-4 second unique sound bit for it.

How about cards with animated portraits?

How about the look of a player's side of the board looks different based on his/her HP? The less HP, the more damaged it looks.

There is just so much polish that could be added. If they are going to copy DotP they could very well try to improve upon it as well.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes, let's speculate on a pre-alpha gameplay when one of the stretch goals was specifically to make the game look nicer at launch.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Troop combat could be animated so that the cards crash into each other and having an explosion when one card is defeated. Maybe a sound effect for a troop when it gets discard. Imagine the sound of 10 Shin Hares being wiped out to a mass damage action. Hell voices for cards in general would be cool. Play a legendary? Get a cool 3-4 second unique sound bit for it.

I like the idea of combat being a little more... segregated? I dunno. Having troops actually move into each other when they fight would be neat. The window that popped up in the oooooold original DotP (the 1998 one, with Shandalar/ManaLink) for combat was much clearer than the current system in Hex. You had creatures that lined up attacking, then blockers lined up across from their opponents, rather than arrows going all over.

Also, one other thing that bugged me: I know the Champion portrait is in the corner, and so the arrow for attacking aims at that. But the digital person is directly across the table from you, and it kind of breaks that illusion when you attack them off to the side. It'd actually make more sense to me to have the arrows go to where the imaginary digital person is, rather than off to the side.

jai151
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
I like the idea of combat being a little more... segregated? I dunno. Having troops actually move into each other when they fight would be neat. The window that popped up in the oooooold original DotP (the 1998 one, with Shandalar/ManaLink) for combat was much clearer than the current system in Hex. You had creatures that lined up attacking, then blockers lined up across from their opponents, rather than arrows going all over.

The problem with the Shandalar display is once you get past a certain number of creature it just becomes too wide to follow.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
The problem with the Shandalar display is once you get past a certain number of creature it just becomes too wide to follow.

Well, yes (though you could move the little mouse on the pile of bones to see the rest!), but that's partly because of the ridiculously low resolution that game was at. Only about 8 creatures plus lands and an enchantment/artifact or two even fit on the play area there. They could definitely make a better solution, just the general idea that I liked.

theophanya
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
The only good bug spot here is the tapping to the left.

Pwn1nP3nquin
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
There is another active thread that is discussing this topic, we should combine the two:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24781

EDIT: I started an "Official" UI Thread to consolidate this topic to a single thread:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24823

shanDz
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I agree with the post about all the crazy arrows pointing. Perhaps a combat area where declared attackers and blockers would be moved to may make it neater