PDA

View Full Version : Oh, oh, neat idea for special cards...

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Was just randomly thinking of this, and assumed it was original. Have some cards that are hologram cards, with a 3d model that popped up on top of the card and animated (ie troops could swing a sword when they dealt damage, and have a different stance when exhausted). Obviously that'd be a ton of work to do on EVERY card, especially at this point, but as a "special edition" card or a reward for a tournament, it'd be sweeeeet.

wallofomens
06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I find your idea neat. I'm sure they've thought about this sort of thing at some point during development, but as you mentioned, it would be a ton of work.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
You are the first person to thought of this idea. Nobody has mentioned it on this forums yet. The developers are not working on this as well.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I find your idea neat. I'm sure they've thought about this sort of thing at some point during development, but as you mentioned, it would be a ton of work.

That's why I was thinking only for special cards. Maybe especially legendary/story cards, or special event cards. 'cause as awesome as it'd be to make 3d models of all 650 cards for launch, and another 300+ cards every few months, I think I'd rather that time was spent on other things ;)

EntropyBall
06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
On a less ambitious note, you could have the image on a card like Soul Marble evolve as it accumulates counters. If you just had the art for the starting (as pictured) and finished card (carving completed), you could probably digitally generate the cards in between using software that morphs one picture into another. It could also be a relatively small task for the artist to just do it (not an artist, could be totally wrong there).

http://hextcgpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Hex-Soul-Marble.png

Its been talked about in another thread, but I personally think the animations on the cards in Infinity Wars are cool looking and add a nice element to the game. Its a digital card game, and animated cards are just another way to take advantage of that.

Black_Omega
06-10-2013, 12:58 PM
I think animation was talked about in another thread a few days ago, if I recall. To do an entire deck would take so much time.

Legendaries would be neat (have regular legendaries, and have the 'holo' legendaries which have a even lower drop rate).. and maybe pick a few commons, uncommons and rares to throw into the mix and make those holo-versions have a super low drop rate.

Just adds another element to the game-play and for collecting too.

ramseytheory
06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
On a less ambitious note, you could have the image on a card like Soul Marble evolve as it accumulates counters. If you just had the art for the starting (as pictured) and finished card (carving completed), you could probably digitally generate the cards in between using software that morphs one picture into another. It could also be a relatively small task for the artist to just do it (not an artist, could be totally wrong there).

I'm not sure whether or not this is feasible, but I really love the idea!

Nsmash
06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
This would be a fantastic effect for raid and/or dungeon bosses. Imagine animated kraken's tentacles popping out of the game board. Or the void demon from the Chaos Key raid slowly crawling its' way out of an oversized card.

EntropyBall
06-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I think it could be something they do for just the Legendary cards. Detailed or 3D card animations are probably a bit much, but making the card into a looping animation (as Infinity Wars does) or showing progression on some token collecting card (i.e. Soul Marble), can't be that much harder than the still art.

They've got a lot on their plate in terms of just basic functionality though, so I'm sure this will have to be down the list. On the other hand, I would rather see money spent on this than on an animated game intro that I watch 1 time and then cancel out of every subsequent time I launch the game. And extra art is not slowing down the programmers.

silverlocke
06-10-2013, 05:22 PM
I would imagine simple particles, or waves, or breeze-effects would be simple to animate.

They'd just be animated-gifs, after all. Even the little things will go a long way to separate HEX from the herd.

Mr.Funsocks
06-10-2013, 05:41 PM
I also like the idea I heard thrown around earlier of special effects for legendary cards when they come into play. You play a massively powerful effect and there's a big "WHOOM" noise. Great for spectators.

BenRGamer
06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I'd just find it to be more annoying than anything, to be honest.

Animations are distracting and make text harder to read on the fly.

Mr.Funsocks
06-10-2013, 05:55 PM
You'd still click on the card and get a stationary, effect-less card. This is only on the playmat, where the text is hidden anyway.

Svenn
06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I'd just find it to be more annoying than anything, to be honest.

Animations are distracting and make text harder to read on the fly.

They could make it a toggle in the options for flat cards versus animated models. Of course, this would increase development time and costs fairly significantly...

BenRGamer
06-10-2013, 06:56 PM
It's just not necessary, just because you can doesn't mean you should. It would either have to be so subtle to not be distracting to the point it's not really worth the extra cost and dev time at best, or at worst it'll be distracting and annoying and bring the whole game down.

Mr.Funsocks
06-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Nothing is necessary, but it would be cool. It would add a wow factor to powerful cards, and make them easier to pick out on the battlefield. And it's not a particularly complex thing to add, they already have the system for giving flying cards a floaty effect. I don't see why you're so opposed to it.

Zomnivore
06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Instead of something gaudy how about when a special card goes into your hand it plays some new ambient music?

Seems more feasible than 3d modeling. Could be based on the theme of the card, either classification troop etc, racial ties, or threshold thing.

More then one foil? just play the last you drew.

Mr.Funsocks
06-10-2013, 07:46 PM
The point IS for something gaudy. For those 10 cards or so per set that are truly legendary, that combined are only played in 5% of games. It's not like there'll be 15 holo/special effect cards in every game. This'd be something that you see and go "ohshit" every once in a while.

BenRGamer
06-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Instead of something gaudy how about when a special card goes into your hand it plays some new ambient music?

Seems more feasible than 3d modeling. Could be based on the theme of the card, either classification troop etc, racial ties, or threshold thing.

More then one foil? just play the last you drew.

I don't know about whole music, but a sound effect could be nice. The Microprose MtG game in the 90's had sound effects whenever you played a land, could be unobtrusive and neat.

The point IS for something gaudy. For those 10 cards or so per set that are truly legendary, that combined are only played in 5% of games. It's not like there'll be 15 holo/special effect cards in every game. This'd be something that you see and go "ohshit" every once in a while.

But gaudy doesn't really fit Hex from what we've seen, they want to be a serious TCG, not some wacky animated card game, they've gone pretty simplistic, outside of the particle effects.

Mr.Funsocks
06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
But gaudy doesn't really fit Hex from what we've seen, they want to be a serious TCG, not some wacky animated card game, they've gone pretty simplistic, outside of the particle effects.

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/PrincessCory_Gear_Web.png

Yeeeeah. Serious and fun/flashy are not mutually exclusive. Thankfully you're not in charge of decisions.

BenRGamer
06-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Eh, I look at that like MtG's unglued. Still, it's a point. I don't want it to be a part of every game, though, and I'd imagine many players agree with me.

Khazrakh
06-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Eh, I look at that like MtG's unglued. Still, it's a point. I don't want it to be a part of every game, though, and I'd imagine many players agree with me.

Well I'm sure you could just disable the effects if you don't want to have them.
Comparing visual effects with a "just for fun" edition full of wacky cards is a little bit of in my book ;)

BenRGamer
06-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Well, no. I'm saying the Princess Cory card that was brought up earlier is the 'just for fun' card :p