PDA

View Full Version : Convince me of Collectors Tier!

Tiuvath
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi there! :)

I have some experience with online TCGs and over the last 2 weeks+ HEX somehow convinced me to throw my money at them. I am most likely going for the King tier as it provides great value for the money invested. I have brooded over the last days if I should go for a higher Tier. I have the money but its still a significant amount of money to pledge for something I havent played yet.

While I enjoy both PVE and PVP, I am more geared towards PvP and wont spend (much) money on Pve, eliminating Dungeon Crawler(oke sold out xD), Raid Leader and Guildmaster.
ProPlayer is amazing value but its sold out and the added benefit wont kick in after 2 years, so I am not trying to snipe it atm.

If I get Collectors i would be unlikely to trade away the exclusives for the most part, making their value more about the card itself then the potential Trade value.
Question: Are the exlusive alternate art all rare/legendary?

Most here probably know a lot more about the in and outs of the advantages of the Tiers then I could possibly so here is my main question:

Why should I take the Leap for Collectors!
(or recommend an even better combo of Tiers that doesnt exceed ~250$)

Thanks for all and any answer ^^

MTree
06-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Honestly any of the $250 tiers are worth it for the year of free drafting. After that just pick which of the remaining tiers you think would suit you best.

Kroan
06-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Question: Are the exlusive alternate art all rare/legendary?
Yes. Also you get two of each, so that's 12 cards (6 different)

Also you get one year of free drafts, which is pretty sweet aswell as some other nice things as extra packs from set 2 (and 3 if we get to that stretch goal)

BenRGamer
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
They're all rare or legendary, and you get two copies of each of the six.

In addition, you get an additional copy of each King exclusive card, which, when combined with the stretch goal reward of another additional copy of every card (save for Spectral Lotus Garden) means Collectors get 3x every Kickstarter exclusive card except for Spectral Lotus Garden, which they get two of. Collectors are the only $250 tier to get two Spectral Lotus Gardens, as well.

Verdant
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Why should I take the Leap for Collectors!
(or recommend an even better combo of Tiers that doesnt exceed ~250$)
Pledge to stick it to other Collectors who brood over some mysterious financial gain due to low tier numbers.

benczi
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
You shouldn't. There are no collectors here. The cake is a lie.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
You shouldn't go for Collector's, you should go Raid Leader. Collector's gets you a few bonus cards, Raid Leader effects gameplay in a real way. If you plan on spending loads of real money on cards anyway, stick with a King and spend 130$ on Set 2. If you plan on getting gear/cards you can trade for later cards and not have to spend real money (and instead spend time in PvE), RL is almost certainly the way to go.

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Compared to the player base that could potentially be involved in Hex, there will be a very, very small amount of those AA cards that get released. Given that they're all at least rare, their sheer overall rarity should make them quite valuable cards. It's a similar reason as to why Raid Leaders should be able to get significantly easier group invites - the number of RLs compared to the number of players will be a tiny, tiny fraction.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Compared to the player base that could potentially be involved in Hex, there will be a very, very small amount of those AA cards that get released. Given that they're all at least rare, their sheer overall rarity should make them quite valuable cards. It's a similar reason as to why Raid Leaders should be able to get significantly easier group invites - the number of RLs compared to the number of players will be a tiny, tiny fraction.

'cept I think we're all gonna end up grouping up with each other to make the raids really easy, while the rest of the plebs have to do without our blessings ;)

larryhl
06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Don't go Collector, the less of us there are the better.

Indormi
06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
You shouldn't. There are no collectors here. The cake is a lie.
First Rule is cannon here, nothing to see, move along

Zomnivore
06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Honestly I decided based on the idea that

in pve I get more exclusive pve cards, and I get a bonus pvp set of 6 (is it 12 forever with the milestone) each year, of some rare/legendary.

I'll get a pvp and a pve bonus from the collector tier, and while easier raids is interesting I don't know if I want to risk it for something that isn't getting me something unique, a won raid is not a unique thing, and thats what raid leader is likely to get you.

If I want something only a ks can get collector gives me unique AA cards while RL only gets me a higher win percentage at raiding. Something that good deck design can also get, and while it might make for higher gains on the auction house for what you can trade for gold from selling your raid loot, I want unique stuff not money.

Collector is the best middle road option for both pve and pvp content with the extra set of KS and
the pvp cards. Which is where I think I'm happy to sit. (outside of pp which is just insanely good period)

The other thought is that well you only get the RL bonus once and people will eventually trade the AA cards.

Tathel
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
*loves when people crowd source personal decisions*

Just go producer, it's probably one of the more interesting tiers

But def don't go collector, not worth it

\/

DjiN
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Yes. Also you get two of each, so that's 12 cards (6 different)

Where did they state that you get them twice?

Trothael
06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Where did they state that you get them twice?

One of the KS updates confirms it.

Tathel
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
One of the KS updates confirms it.

also i think its in the FAQ

grey0one
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
The "Release the Karaken" update;
Plus One

Question: The 660K tier reward gave us +1 to PVE cards. Can that include PVP cards as well?

That makes sense. Yes, enjoy!

Question: Can the +1 Reward at the 660K tier apply to The Collector Tier yearly exclusive alternate art PVP cards?

So, the 660K +1 tier reward now also includes Kickstarter exclusive PVP rewards and the Collector yearly alternate art PVP cards. I'll update the respective tier images soon to reflect that, as well add both the Dragon's Blood starter deck and the Cardboard Tube Samurai to the Champion tier list which are currently missing.

DjiN
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks grey0one! Now I'm tempted to trade my DC for a collector... argh! xD

larryhl
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
CZE wants everyone to go Raid Leader.

Tiuvath
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the answers so far. I already pretty much excluded the other 250$ tiers but still nice to hear about the pros and cons.

*loves when people crowd source personal decisions*

Just go producer, it's probably one of the more interesting tiers

Its not about crowdsouring a decision ^^. See a better analogy would be this: It's like 2 girls or a girl with her husband/boyfriend going shopping for a dress. Now she has 2 dresses she likes, one she likes more but its also a bit more expensive. What she now basically wants from you is to tell her why she looks so much better in the more expensive dress, so she feels better about buying it. (This is a free important life lesson by the way ;P)
Of course you can point to the 10.000 dollar dress and say to her that would look great on you! ... if she pays for it. At this point she'll probably think about why she is still with that dopey head.
Alternativly you could say how it makes her butt look fat to get her buy the cheap one, but you might sleep on the couch that night.

No really its about stating your reasons why you think Collectors is worth the money, I'll still decide, I'll just have a better picture and if i decide to go for it I also will feel happier about the purchase. :D

Morale of all this? Dont say that it makes my butt look fat. ;)

grey0one
06-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks grey0one! Now I'm tempted to trade my DC for a collector... argh! xD

With DC gone, it's all a question of what you're going to do in game.

If you're planing to run a guild, GM will seem silly for about a year. Then everyone will want one in thier guild as we loose GK and GMs through normal attrition.

If there is going to be major card chase on the PvE side, it'll be in raids. RL will help you have that edge that will get those legendary equip/cards a little faster and more consistently.

Collector isn't well described for how those bonus art cards will work. The optimal is that Cryptozoic uses it to reduce the cost of the top 6 "market priced" cards in the last 3 blocks. It would lower the non-alt-alt art version, even though Colectors would trade higher. So all of you wanting these alt-alt art cards at release, don't. Wait for the end of the set and hope Cryptozoic uses it as a tool to lower high end cards prices. Having more Kickstarter exclusive card will help your "trade binder" portfolio down the road.

The whole collector tier improves your "trade binder" for years to come. It's a game of speculation with the colector's tier, but it's what being a tcg collector is all about.

Ben
06-05-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm still pondering, I still don't understand how the free drafting works and Alternative Art PvP cards? That is very vague.

Madican
06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
You wanted a reason to go Collector? Here's one.

You get not one, not two, but THREE. Yes, count 'em, THREE PRINCESS CORY CARDS. Gaze upon them in laughter, fear, and/or confusion.

Turtlewing
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm still pondering, I still don't understand how the free drafting works and Alternative Art PvP cards? That is very vague.

free draft:
When you enter a draft (a format of PvP tournament) you will be promoted to provide the entry fee (3 packs and 1 platinum I believe). If you have an unused free draft you can instead click a "use my free draft" button. CZE then picks up the tab for your entry into the tournament providing you with the packs and waiving the entry fee. You then proceed with the tournament normally keeping any cards you select during deck building and any prizes you win.

AA cards:
They're copies of a PvP card but they have different artwork. They're functionally identical to the other card with the same name, but they look different. They're intended to be (well...) collector's items. At launch you will get 2 copies each of 6 different AA cards. Then every year you get 2 copies each of 6 other AA cards. Those specific cards only enter the economy through the collector and above kickstarter pledge so they're expected to be pretty rare in the long term. The cards themselves are also likely going to be popular rare/legendary cards making their intrinsic value decent even if the rarity is over-stated.

Ben
06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
free draft:
When you enter a draft (a format of PvP tournament) you will be promoted to provide the entry fee (3 packs and 1 platinum I believe). If you have an unused free draft you can instead click a "use my free draft" button. CZE then picks up the tab for your entry into the tournament providing you with the packs and waiving the entry fee. You then proceed with the tournament normally keeping any cards you select during deck building and any prizes you win.

AA cards:
They're copies of a PvP card but they have different artwork. They're functionally identical to the other card with the same name, but they look different. They're intended to be (well...) collector's items. At launch you will get 2 copies each of 6 different AA cards. Then every year you get 2 copies each of 6 other AA cards. Those specific cards only enter the economy through the collector and above kickstarter pledge so they're expected to be pretty rare in the long term. The cards themselves are also likely going to be popular rare/legendary cards making their intrinsic value decent even if the rarity is over-stated.

Thanks so much for the explanation, I may pass on collector's and just get $120 king deal.

tangolino
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Guys, I'm not really sure the collector tier will get 2x 6 AA per year.
What I get from the 660k stretch goal is that we'll get 2x the AA this year only, because of the KS. Can anyone link confirmation that's 2x 6 AA forever?

I sent an email to them and the reply to that question was:

Hello tangolino,

The stretch goal just applies to the Kickstarter cards.

Hope this helps.

Kami
06-05-2013, 05:32 PM
What I get from the 660k stretch goal is that we'll get 2x the AA this year only, because of the KS. Can anyone link confirmation that's 2x 6 AA forever?

Hello tangolino,

Hope this helps.

Read Update #16 on KS.

Boozecluez
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
The Collector sleeves are reason to choose this ...

grey0one
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Hello tangolino,

Hope this helps.

Read post 17 of this thread :p

DjiN
06-05-2013, 05:35 PM
With DC gone, it's all a question of what you're going to do in game.

I already got a DC. Was just thinking about changing it into a collector tier. But I will stick with my DC, because I like to have a buff which benefits me whenever I want. I don't like to wait for my cards 4 months. Which leads to the next answer:

Collector isn't well described for how those bonus art cards will work. The optimal is that Cryptozoic uses it to reduce the cost of the top 6 "market priced" cards in the last 3 blocks.

I got this answer from CZE on KS:

Hello DjiN,

We will release 2 new ones per set and we'll be releasing 3 sets a year. So you will get them regularly.

Thanks.

So its not 6 after one year, it is 2 every 4 months. And we know they will be rare/legendary for sure. But if they pick high value cards will be decided everytime I assume.

tangolino
06-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Read Update #16 on KS.

I did Kami, but what I get from it is that the +1 is this year only.

The email from them didn't help either :P

Kami
06-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I did Kami, but what I get from it is that the +1 is this year only.

The email from them didn't help either :P

I don't know how you read it but it states quite clearly:

Question: Can the +1 Reward at the 660K tier apply to The Collector Tier yearly exclusive alternate art PVP cards?

Keyword: yearly

Trothael
06-05-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't know how you read it but it states quite clearly:

Keyword: yearly

How it's worded can still be construed as it only applying to this year's cards.

tangolino
06-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, it's not my first language. I'll keep my questions to CZ now. I still don't see how that applies to every year forever, even with the keyword.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 05:52 PM
How it's worded can still be construed as it only applying to this year's cards.

Not... really...