PDA

View Full Version : Three colour decks. Are they viable?

SealFate
06-05-2013, 04:10 PM
With the resource system of Hex, do people think 3 colour decks will be viable if the threshold of all cards are 2 or less? How many resource cards would be needed if max cost of a card was 6?

Tathel
06-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I would say, not with what we've seen so far. But maybe with non-standard resources

jai151
06-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I think they will be viable. There are some color fixers we've already seen, and with threshold it's not as painful to go into other colors.

As for how many resource cards would be needed, that's not so much a function of the max mana cost as it is of the curve and what cards are in the deck.

zaku
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
How many resource cards would be needed if max cost of a card was 6?

That depends on your cost curve and how many resource fix you have. I would guess around 26.

EDIT - In 60 card decks.

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
It's probably not going to be in the first set, the only way MtG was able to handle that was ridiculously overpowered lands and artifacts (Moxs, Lotuses, dual lands). But a few sets on, enough non-land cards and non-overpowered multicolored lands trickled in, things that let you search for a specific land in your deck and such, it'll probably be easier than MtG.

DjiN
06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
As they said on the twitch stream two days ago, they are planning on designing multicolored cards in the future, so I guess at some point there will be some sort of multicolored resource coming. I feel we won't see them in this set though. Maybe it would be a too big imbalance for the game to give all the KS users access to these resources, which will most likely be more expansive cards. So the entry level for new players would be higher, because multicolored resources would be a must in tournament PvP.

But I can totally vision a resource that adds 1 blood and 1 ruby threshold, +1 max mana but 0 current mana. Would be similar to a red/black coming into play tapped land in MTG.

Black_Omega
06-05-2013, 04:22 PM
You would either have to have non-standard resources or your deck would have to consist of cards that cost 1 or 2... and I think you would have to have at least 10 of each resource to make it worth wild - last thing you want is to have 3 of one resource, 3 of another resource and your hand full of cards of your 3rd type because you only have 5 or 6 resources of that type in your deck.

It's a tough one. Needs more investigation and actual trial and error before making a definitive answer on this one!

Tyrfang
06-05-2013, 04:23 PM
A dwarf artifact red/blue/??? could work, if you have the artifact that increases a threshold of your choice for 4 mana.

Except for humans, there's no mechanics or races that span 3 shards, so I don't see the reason for a 3+-color deck yet.

S117
06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
There's an arti that makes any threshold for 1 cost. Then 4 for it to explode drawing you a card a la las match on twitch.tv

Zomnivore
06-05-2013, 04:30 PM
artifact troops have no threshold so I don't really know, it could be that that would work.

If you go into blood and have the dwarf champ that makes a worker bot, sac workers etc. there might be the possibility of synergies with that...no clue.

Really shooting in the dark.

Mushroom_C1oud
06-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Basic shards do three things: Add 1 threshold, add 1 resource, and charge your champion. It would be easy to balance non-basic shards by removing 1 or 2 of it's other actions while adding another action.

Yasi
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Three color decks are definitely viable. Maybe not so much in drafts, but I don't see why not in PvE against AIs or PvP against braindead players.

the_artic_one
06-05-2013, 05:14 PM
There's some kind of multi-shard resource in this picture:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/456/890/75cf85c7d80b05982c3dc0687155c609_large.jpg?1363747 950

DjiN
06-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Wow... and its rare. Fits. =) Nice find!

mmimzie
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I think it will be pretty viable with threshold, for one its alittle nicer in some situations. In MTG if i had 2 plains and a swamp and wanted to play 3 different 1 cost swamp creatures i'd be screwed. In this game that situation doesn't exist as all mana is created equally or colorless. So as long as your third color has low threshold or your deck uses alot of low threshold cards your cool.

What i wanna see are cards with higher thresh hold than their cost. These would be really cool in a late game aggro deck.

ShaolinRaven
06-05-2013, 05:40 PM
A dwarf artifact red/blue/??? could work, if you have the artifact that increases a threshold of your choice for 4 mana.

Except for humans, there's no mechanics or races that span 3 shards, so I don't see the reason for a 3+-color deck yet.

Necrotic are also 3 shards. I think a 3 color deck could be viable, you'll just have to make sure your resources are solid and you have a few cards that allow you to draw more cards in order to cycle through your deck faster.

Boozecluez
06-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Nice Spotting Arctic ,so yeah could be a possibility then ,but will also depend on what other cards are out there as so far we have onyl seen a small portion

Lazybum
06-05-2013, 05:48 PM
until we know if there is going to be some kind of dual lands it will be hard to make it work

Turtlewing
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Depends on what you mean by "viable"

If you're talking casual play than a well built 5 shard deck will probably be viable (they are in magic) and a 3 shard would be easier than that.

If you mean competitive play than probably not, but maybe.

In general the more shards you use the more attention you need to pay to your reasourse base and the slower your deck will play. The main challenge will be surviving while you build up. The other challenge is finding a card combination that's worth the effort of maintaining 3 shards instead of 2.

maniza
06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
they are easyer to do than in magic.once threshold is met you dont have to worry about it again but im not shure there are enough cards yet to make it viable or worthwile but in the future it will happen for shure

funktion
06-05-2013, 07:42 PM
While I wouldn't recommend it with what we know yet, come back in two months and ask this question once it's actually appropriate / relevant.

alpha5099
06-05-2013, 10:47 PM
There're 3 three-shard races so far (all of whom have Diamond and Sapphire as two of their shards, for some reason; they're also the only races that use Diamond):

Human - Ruby/Diamond/Sapphire
Coyotle - Wild/Diamond/Sapphire
Necrotic - Blood/Diamond/Sapphire

As two of those races will be more fully fleshed out in Set 2, it may be then that CZE rolls out the tech to make three-shard decks more viable.

Madican
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I want to play a Taste the Rainbow deck.

"You have something on your face!" *PUNCH* "IT WAS PAIN."

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
While there are a couple color-fixing cards like that artifact that adds a threshold of your choice when it enters the battlefield, ultimately there's not a lot of support for 3 colors atm. In Magic, with a good selection of multicolor lands you can comfortably run a 3 color deck without including any mana fixing cards, but in Hex that will seem unlikely, reducing their viability.

Having said that, 2 colors and a splash for a single card or two should be fine, and will be common in drafts. A lot of people will splash one single off color card with a single threshold requirement (usually a bomb or removal spell), as at worst they'll have one dead card in hand if they don't happen to get the right resource, and if they only include one resource for it they shouldn't be screwing up their other colors.

alpha5099
06-05-2013, 11:34 PM
If I remember correctly from the Twitch stream, Ben or Dan said that there was just one non-basic resource in Set One, which would be that Diamond/Sapphire resource--"Ascendant Brilliance," it looks to be called. We'll see what else is available, but if that's the case that'll help at least for a human-based tri-shard deck.

SealFate
06-05-2013, 11:59 PM
A few people have posted in this thread about the races that cover 3 colours. Tell me I do not have to stick with one race in a deck.

@funktion I plan on finishing top 8 of the first major event with a 3 colour deck :-) preparation is relevant. Just waiting on comprehensive rules to find out if my evil plan will work.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 12:11 AM
I will just point out that the majority of cards haven't been spoiled yet. Though that could also work in the favor of your evil plan. ;-) But in particular, we haven't seen any of the counterspells they've got for set 1 yet.

grey0one
06-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Three color decks with no mana fixing are viable in Magic, and playable, just not competitive.

alpha5099
06-06-2013, 12:17 AM
A few people have posted in this thread about the races that cover 3 colours. Tell me I do not have to stick with one race in a deck.

You do not have to stick with one race in a deck.

http://www.promoboxx.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2012/10/the_more_you_know.jpeg

Keznath
06-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Always the choice between fun and efficicacity...hard to mix both...