PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Current Deck Composition Viewable During Play

Kilo24
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
So, the theory is that a good player should always know what is in his deck. That can be tedious to keep track of and easy to make stupid mistakes with, however. That's true in Magic, and it's going to be even more true in this game with all the additional cards getting shuffled into your deck as well as the permanent changes that will keep accruing on them. And if you're constantly tweaking a deck for specific challenges or don't quite remember what you did with your sideboard, it can be quite easy to make mistakes about what you put in there (or if you want to know what an ally has in their deck).

What I'm proposing is that we are able to see the cards which are currently in their own deck or an ally's deck. They'll be sorted so that they don't know the actual order that they're in. You click on an icon by your deck and it will give you a list of the names and amount of cards within your deck; click on the names and it will show you the current state of those cards (what permanent modifications that they have). It also lets you read the specific rules for that card instead of relying on your memory for them. You can do this at any time, and it might give you something to do while waiting for the other player to take their turn. This will help novice players especially to familiarize themselves with the cards in their deck so that they won't take as long on their own turns.

The downsides for this are that it may potentially make games take longer if the players are constantly looking at their decks and analyzing probabilities; the issues with this could be solved by disabling it in formal PvP games. It may also violate some rules if some card alters another card secretly or if hidden cards are added to the deck; those can be solved by just not showing the secret parts but does also require that the developers implement a system that keeps track of which parts are intended to be secret (The Shrine of Prosperity is one such problem card).

Anyone have any opinions on the idea, or anything that I've missed?

TheDiv
06-05-2013, 06:03 PM
I have a terrible attention span and always forget what I have left in my deck. That being said, I don't like this feature as it's just a cop out for learning how to understand your deck and keep track of the game.

Xenavire
06-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Just as long as they let me see the voided cards, I don't care - I hate DoTP for not showing them. Especially when they target something and you can't react and check what it is (deck or graveyard, not in play stuff).