PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of adding collector

Stig
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
OK guys, I need help here! I gave up on sniping a GK - too much stress, too unlikely to happen at this point. I thought I was good....then the thought of adding a collector started to creep in. Keep it on a second account for the drafting, and trade all the cards over to my account with the DC/King. Talk me out of it! Tell me it's a terrible idea. My resistance is growing weaker by the minute....

Willzyx
06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
I will not.

Seriously, if you can easily afford it, you definitely should. There will be no chance to do this ever again. If you can't, then there's your answer.

Sci3nce
06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Keep it, Brings us closer to the Rare Chest

Zomnivore
06-05-2013, 11:00 PM
You could probably convince someone to trade their 2nd lotus for a chunk of change, the AA cards could be undesirable and only a few very good cards would be in each year's update making it a much longer term gain then something like a Raid leader or a guild leader who's benefits are instant.

If you're a guild leader and you charge your guild a gold fee for the bonus exp they get you'd find another income source, and the raid loot you get from raid leader could also be another income source that would be more immediate.

Then again eh I don't care I hope you spend within your means. Certainly if you can afford it and you think its the best for you (there's really a decent argument to be had for rl vrs collector an maybe even guild leader if the guild benefits you receive from having a popular guild are good)

Madican
06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Collectors get three Princess Cory cards. What more do you want?

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
The AA cards are pretty much the whole draw for Collector. You get 12 cards a year that no-one except for Collectors and higher tiers can get. That's likely to be well under 1% of players who get those cards, and given that they're all PvP rares or legendaries, they should be highly sought after. It's a very decent tier.

Personally, I'm going DC/RL so I can be a PvE powerhouse. For me, Collector would of course help PvP more than RL, but not taking it isn't going to be nearly as 'negative' as not taking Collector.

Stig
06-05-2013, 11:06 PM
This won't be a "I can't eat or pay rent" purchase - it'll be a "I can't buy so many games next month" purchase, so lets not worry about that :)

Willzyx
06-05-2013, 11:07 PM
This won't be a "I can't eat or pay rent" purchase - it'll be a "I can't buy so many games next month" purchase, so lets not worry about that :)

Then I think you've got everyone here behind you on this one. =D

TheDiv
06-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I've given up on PS4 to get DC + Collector. I don't regret it.

ForgedSol
06-05-2013, 11:08 PM
The AA cards are pretty much the whole draw for Collector. You get 12 cards a year that no-one except for Collectors and higher tiers can get. That's likely to be well under 1% of players who get those cards, and given that they're all PvP rares or legendaries, they should be highly sought after. It's a very decent tier.

Personally, I'm going DC/RL so I can be a PvE powerhouse. For me, Collector would of course help PvP more than RL, but not taking it isn't going to be nearly as 'negative' as not taking Collector.

Yup, the reason I can see to not do Collector is to go for the complete PvE package by adding a RL instead.

Zomnivore
06-05-2013, 11:14 PM
I guess shadowruns comes out this month... might be worth thinking about? Massive Chalice to back. I found Rising Storm to be pretty fun.

Other then that, I think Collector will have a decent amount of value, and if you're looking to get more exclusives and what not, it looks like an excellent tier.

The other thing is...the argument can be made that you could eventually trade for the AA cards but you couldn't trade for the RL bonus.

Stig
06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
RL is another one I've been considering. My only hesitation is I'm not sure how often I'll be raiding. The nice thing about DC is that I can do it solo in my own time, leave off when I have to, then come back when I can, and still get full benefit. I don't know if I'll always have time to raid - it's one of the reasons I don't play WoW currently.

(Oh, I'm already backing Massive Chalice and Shadowrun :))

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Oh, only take it if you feel like it's worthwhile, for sure. :-) It's a powerful boost though for when you do raid, and given that probably less than 1% of players will be able to offer the buff, you should never have a problem getting a group for a raid.

In terms of Collector, another suave bonus for those with a second 250 tier is that you end up with 5 copies of most of the KS cards. Given that you'd only ever play with 4, that means you'll get a lot of trade material right off the bat.

benczi
06-05-2013, 11:29 PM
OK guys, I need help here! I gave up on sniping a GK - too much stress, too unlikely to happen at this point. I thought I was good....then the thought of adding a collector started to creep in. Keep it on a second account for the drafting, and trade all the cards over to my account with the DC/King. Talk me out of it! Tell me it's a terrible idea. My resistance is growing weaker by the minute....

I'm telling you, don't go collector, there are no collectors here, the cake is a lie .... and it's a terrible idea.

Stig
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I was promised cake!

NastyNate
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Go for it, dude! I don't see any reason not to if you can comfortably afford it. I figure Collector will pay for itself over the next few years, provided the game is successful.

grey0one
06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Don't buy what you won't use. Look at your pervious gaming habits? Are you the type that sticks to it through the years? Or you keep at it for 6 months for the thrill of the new? Don't think you will magically change overnight, no mater how great this game is.

NastyNate
06-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I've given up on PS4 to get DC + Collector. I don't regret it.

Gotta say I'm in the same boat. I've still got a bitter taste in my mouth after the dreadful PS3 launch.

KeplerVerge
06-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Give in to the Hex Side. Feeeel your inner collector grow!

Stig
06-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Having a full set of Princess Cory put me over the edge. I'm goin for it! I've got too many games in my backlog anyway! I haven't even finished Bioshock Infinite yet, let alone the dozen or so Xbox games that are sitting unwrapped next to my console....

Zomnivore
06-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Having a full set of Princess Cory put me over the edge. I'm goin for it! I've got too many games in my backlog anyway! I haven't even finished Bioshock Infinite yet, let alone the dozen or so Xbox games that are sitting unwrapped next to my console....

SELL EM! honestly though I still don't know if I'm set on Collector or Raid leader, part of me thinks raids might be amazing and the other part thinks about monetization and motivation for creating new raid content.

Raid design and other variables...but then again you have long wait periods before you get any benefit from collector and the cards have just about as many problems with variables.

Still...a raid leader can only get raid loot like the rest of us...they just gotta better shot at getting it.

NastyNate
06-06-2013, 12:33 AM

Yes! Good choice, my friend! I'm backing this KS with my full support, too.

Stig
06-06-2013, 12:35 AM
I decided on the long view with collector. Over the life of the game, odds of hitting on an alt-art legendary that's in high demand is pretty good. Even if only 1 or 2 of the alternate cards per year are valuable, that's still platinum in the bank for drafting/tournaments/stocking up on set 22 :)

Indormi
06-06-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm going to break the First Rule for the greater good, getting the last streach goal.

Right now there are aproximately 1.600 collectors or higher up pledges. That means there are 3,2k of any AA given card max. Right now there are 14500 backers. We can say that at max 1 out of every 4 (maybe 5 If we dont take account multipledgin) can have 1 of that cards. That is the max people have in their collection is 1, which is not the case.

In addition many of these 1600 collectors are double pledger with GK because they want a full set of AA. So the distribution is not 2 per person at max there are more than a few that are going to have 4 (and keep them). Taking into account that the community will definetly grow, It is possible that the amount of AA cards evenly distributed at any given time can be less than 10% of the pledgers (by evenly distributed I mean 1 AA unique card per player).

The more players that dont pledge collector, the higher the collector AA cards are valued. The less people that pledge collector, the more value this AA cards have. This is why the First Rule exists.

Collector is a gamble, but not so much anymore taking into account this numbers. I'm really surprised that "non-collectors club" people havent realized the real value of collector at this point. If I were you I'll definetly add collector, even two if you can afford them. The possibilities that getting more than your money back in a year or two time is definetly high IMO. (If you dont care about the cards) If you care about the AA cards, well they are going to be exclusive enough.

Stig
06-06-2013, 12:59 AM
My thoughts exactly Indormi, already pulled the trigger :)

Indormi
06-06-2013, 01:09 AM
My thoughts exactly Indormi, already pulled the trigger :)
I dont know if i should open a new thread t0 exponse this (again) hoping to get more people to double pledge, or not. I want the streach goal, but it is a bit shooting me in the foot.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 01:16 AM
I'd be surprised if the game didn't get at least 100k players, and wouldn't be surprised if it got well over a million. As such, the ratio of collector or higher pledgers to the overall number of players once released is staggeringly small.

That is to say, even if every collector pledge slot is taken before the end of the KS, those cards will still be insanely rare and probably quite valuable on that alone.

TheDiv
06-06-2013, 01:28 AM
I was dead set on my DC. The Collector vs. Raid Leader debate has torn me apart as $500 has been my budget so I could only take one. At the end of the day it came down to which would be more valuable when the playerbase became huge. If we assume 100k+ players you end up in the following situation:

Collectors have very, very rare cards in proportion to the population.
Raid Leaders have a very, very rare perk in proportion to the population.

Given how CZE has approach balance and ensuring no one receives anything too powerful relative to other people, I am confident that they will balance Raids to be achievable without the +1 perk. Yes, it'll help, but if the player-base grows substantially, they will need to ensure everyone with the appropriate skill, cards and gear can beat these raids, not just Raid Leaders.

In conclusion: Collector :)

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Not to try and make your decision harder Div - but they've said they might/will be adding modes to try and do the raids with one or two people. I didn't catch if they intended to give more loot for these or give you a better chance at legendaries or more rolls on the loot table, but it's quite possible. And for a hard mode raid like that, the raid leader buff will be handy. :-)

Of course, collector is also fantastic and definitely a worthwhile tier to take. Even right out of the gates, with two 250 tiers you'll have 5 of the KS exclusive cards, so you'll have a lot of trading power if you only care about keeping a playset of each.

TheDiv
06-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Not to try and make your decision harder Div - but they've said they might/will be adding modes to try and do the raids with one or two people. I didn't catch if they intended to give more loot for these or give you a better chance at legendaries or more rolls on the loot table, but it's quite possible. And for a hard mode raid like that, the raid leader buff will be handy. :-)

Thanks for the help :P But hey, if I don't have +1 than it'll be all the more satisfying if I manage to beat those raids! Challenge Accepted ;)

benczi
06-06-2013, 01:36 AM
I'm going to break the First Rule for the greater good, getting the last streach goal.

Right now there are aproximately 1.600 collectors or higher up pledges. That means there are 3,2k of any AA given card max. Right now there are 14500 backers. We can say that at max 1 out of every 4 (maybe 5 If we dont take account multipledgin) can have 1 of that cards. That is the max people have in their collection is 1, which is not the case.

In addition many of these 1600 collectors are double pledger with GK because they want a full set of AA. So the distribution is not 2 per person at max there are more than a few that are going to have 4 (and keep them). Taking into account that the community will definetly grow, It is possible that the amount of AA cards evenly distributed at any given time can be less than 10% of the pledgers (by evenly distributed I mean 1 AA unique card per player).

The more players that dont pledge collector, the higher the collector AA cards are valued. The less people that pledge collector, the more value this AA cards have. This is why the First Rule exists.

Collector is a gamble, but not so much anymore taking into account this numbers. I'm really surprised that "non-collectors club" people havent realized the real value of collector at this point. If I were you I'll definetly add collector, even two if you can afford them. The possibilities that getting more than your money back in a year or two time is definetly high IMO. (If you dont care about the cards) If you care about the AA cards, well they are going to be exclusive enough.

only 500 collectors left, I see a lot of new faces, and I'm disappointed, a lot of you have broken the first two rules of the collectors Club.

JustAPigeon
06-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Well, this thread is to blame for my recent upgrade to Collector tier. :)

I'm ridiculously excited about this thing!

Indormi
06-06-2013, 01:39 AM
only 500 collectors left, I see a lot of new faces, and I'm disappointed, a lot of you have broken the first two rules of the collectors Club.
Taking into account that I was the one that called the First Rule in the first place...xD

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Also breaking the "first rule" of collector tier to encourage more people to buy it, in hopes that we can hit $2.5M

As Indormi mentioned, there are currently 1,614 people who will get 2 copies per year of the AA cards. That means 3,228 copies of the cards will be in circulation.

That means there will only be 807 full play-sets of each AA card at the current numbers.
Even if Collector (and everything above it) sells out, there will only be 1,055 full play-sets of each AA card.

But if we can get Collector to sell out, that is another $110,250 from that tier alone, it will go a long way towards the $2.5M

zmrklic
06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Bought one heh

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Question is will those alternate art have much value once the sets get rotated out?

I fear that the digital aspect might reduce their value tremendously once that happens.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Not sure if they'll be worth anything... but having them, even if digitally, will make me happy. So it's worth it to me :)

zmrklic
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Well, if this really suceed as everyone hopes, you will sure have more formats, one with all cards, one only recent sets etc. I still have problem imagining digital thing can have high value, but i am old so ...

scyphrre
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Can't talk you out of it because I did the same thing ;)

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Don't buy what you won't use. Look at your pervious gaming habits? Are you the type that sticks to it through the years? Or you keep at it for 6 months for the thrill of the new? Don't think you will magically change overnight, no mater how great this game is.

The thing is that TCG change every 4 months

~