PDA

View Full Version : Drafting?

Thallium45
06-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I understand the concept, but could someone explain how it will be executed in Hex and what kind of rewards are there for playing in a draft tourny?

Ozmono
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Different rewards for different drafts. There are draft tourneys that award the first two strongly and others more forgiving that distribute them more evenly. Think how Magic does it. I would reply better but I forget the details.
PS Oh and rewards are boosters as far as I know. Plus you keep the cards you drafted.

KingBlackstone
06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Rare drafting: your eternal reward. :)

All cards drafted are kept, and additional packs are awarded to the top player(s).

Mr.Funsocks
06-05-2013, 11:38 PM
They said they are looking into cash prizes and other rewards for the higher tier tournaments (ie things with qualifiers), but the standard draft tourneys award you booster packs based on the distribution of the tournament you entered.

grey0one
06-05-2013, 11:44 PM
<below explanation is better>

jaxsonbateman
06-05-2013, 11:44 PM
In Hex, entry into a draft will require $1 (or the equivalent in platinum I believe), and 3 boosters.

For a swiss draft (you play 3 matches regardless of winning or losing), the prize structure is likely to be 1 booster per win. This should be the 'easiest' draft (that is, the draft with the lowest average skill level) as coming first or second nets significantly less boosters than in the riskier draft queues.

For a 'top 4' draft, you play until you lose a game. The top 4 players all get a prize, and the structure is likely to be 4-3-2-2 or 5-3-2-2. This should be the middle difficulty draft - it has higher rewards-per-win than Swiss, but doesn't have the insurance against a first round loss.

For a 'top 2' draft, you play until you lose a game. The top 2 players take the prize, and this will likely be an 8-4 split. This should be the hardest draft, as players will only want to enter it if they feel they have enough skill to be able to win their first two games at least, without having a clue how good the decks the opponents have will be.

In any case, on average each player walks away 1.5 boosters each, and in a Swiss tournament you have an 87.5% chance of walking away with at least one booster. All in all, drafts are fantastically efficient for acquiring boosters. :-)

lamaros
06-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Draft gameplay is significantly different from Constructed, it should be said.

funktion
06-06-2013, 12:49 AM
The most basic type of draft tournament will be an 8-man draft, which further break down into 3 types of ques. Those ques will be 3 rounds each, structured as follows (names taken from the hex site directly):
Competitive: Single elimination, top two players get prizes
Casual: Single elimination, top four players get prizes
Swiss: No elimination, with prizes for everyone with at least one win

The entry fee for all three of these will be 3 packs + 1 dollar in platinum. If the prize structure directly resembles MTGO, then each que will award 12 packs in prizes total distributed depending on the que type. 12 might not be the exact number since this isn't MTGO, I wouldn't be surprised if the prize structure was more generous for the first couple years to build interest and later on reverted to 12 (pure speculation). Although on that note, I'd rather them raise the entry fee to 2 dollars in plat and keep the prizes more generous if it became necessary.

So those are the most basic and common types of draft... but what else is there? Well I wouldn't be surprised if we also saw 64 man SUPERDRAFT que's. Now the way these work is they are all initially structured like the single elimination "competitive" draft and pay out the exact same way (sometimes only payout to the winner of the first "sub" draft. 8 drafts all fire at the same time, once all 3 rounds are over there are 8 winners. Those 8 winners go on to form a final draft pod and do it all over again. Potentially you have the chance to draft twice for one entry fee (which is usually somewhat higher, maybe 4-8 plat as well as packs) and you have the chance to win part of a much larger prize pool.

FINALLY, they've alluded to "marathon events" which will most likely be all day events where you draft as many times as you can. (I was lucky enough that my local shop did these every weekend for magic and it was a 30 dollar entry fee per person and you usually were able to draft 4-6 times if you were there at the start). The more drafts you win, the more prizes you get at the end of the day.

There are also Sealed Deck events, but those are totally different than draft, and you were only asking about draft. Hope this answered all of your questions, if you have any further ones don't hesitate to ask!

funktion
06-06-2013, 12:51 AM
In any case, on average each player walks away 1.5 boosters each, and in a Swiss tournament you have an 87.5% chance of walking away with at least one booster. All in all, drafts are fantastically efficient for acquiring boosters. :-)

Sorry to have to correct you here, but if you're talking about purely being efficient... playing constructed is usually more efficient than drafting is. Drafting is usually the worst way to acquire boosters.... but it's SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Sorry to have to correct you here, but if you're talking about purely being efficient... playing constructed is usually more efficient than drafting is. Drafting is usually the worst way to acquire boosters.... but it's SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!
It's not the worst way - it's certainly better than buying boosters outright. I suppose I didn't make this clear, but drafting is a great way to funnel your already existing boosters into more boosters. In that respect, there's little difference between constructed and drafting, as in both cases all you're doing is paying the entry fee.

Are there going to be constructed tournaments w/ prizes on demand anyway?

Keznath
06-06-2013, 01:14 AM
i still don't know at the end of drafting if we keep the cards we found in packs, or the cards we chose during draft?

Verdant
06-06-2013, 01:16 AM
i still don't know at the end of drafting if we keep the cards we found in packs, or the cards we chose during draft?
You keep the cards you chose during draft unless specified otherwise (e.g. some weird draft modes).

Keznath
06-06-2013, 01:19 AM
OK so we choose, if we try to make the best deck, or pick the more value cards...^^

well....thanks for the answer !

funktion
06-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Are there going to be constructed tournaments w/ prizes on demand anyway?

Of course there will be constructed tournaments on demand. However, dailies will probably be the best way to go if this at all resembles MTGO. I agree that if you're trying to strictly turn boosters into boosters, that draft is the way to go. Drafting is also without a doubt the more efficient way of OPENING boosters. With that said though, if this resembles MTGO, constructed will have much higher EV.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Makes perfect sense. I won't lie, never done constructed on MTGO so I have no idea how that works. But if they offer decent prizes, then constructed takes all the randomness out of deck construction (even the best drafter can come up against someone with an unassailable bomb or two), so as long as you don't misread the meta and have a high tier deck it seems like an awesome way to get more boosters.

Thallium45
06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
And this is why I LOVE THE HEX COMMUNITY

thank you all for your responses and opinions.