PDA

View Full Version : Which tier to pledge? New to TCGs

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Hey all,

I realize this is coming down to the wire, but I know I want to pledge some amount. The question is which tier?

Let me start with saying I've NEVER played a TCG before, physical or virtual. Second, I'm not sure how much time I will be willing to dedicate to the game come release (I'll be started grad school). But my gamer said is saying spend some decent money and get the King Tier. I honestly feel like it's a great value and gives you tons to start with. But my logical and frugal side is saying go with something much less expensive like the Champion Tier. That was I won't feel too invested in the game if I don't enjoy it as much I think I'm going to... But let's be honest, I'm really excited for the potential of this game and I've never even played a TCG before.

Now with all that said, how much a difference for a casual (maybe one day more hardcore) player are the different reward tiers going to make say 3, 6, even a year into the game. As I understand the nature of TCGs, they change over time as new sets are published. Therefore the kickstarter perks going to be worth much in say 6 months to a year? Also, how much of an advantage are some cards (like the Spectral Lotus) going to give players in matches. Will better loot eventually replace some kickstarter rewards?
The only MMO I've played is WoW, and the progressive nature of the game made old loot obsolete pretty quickly... Which is something I'm afraid of and why I'm hesitant of putting down $120 vs just $35. But if those same cards/loot are going to valuable down the road then I can justify the investment.

I know in the end it comes down to what I'm willing to put down in cash, but I'm hoping the community can help me make a more informed decision. I really love what HEX might become, but I am trying to be rational about this pledge as well. Let's just say I'm not willing to go into the $250 tiers for something I've never experienced for myself.

Thanks HEX community. I look forward to your responses!

larryhl
06-06-2013, 12:36 AM
If you're not sure about it at all, go for the $20 tier. It'll back the game, get you some free stuff, and give you Alpha and Beta access.

I wouldn't back over the $50 tier if you're not sure you're going to be playing for even a year.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Depends how much money you are willing to invest. I've talked myself into spending more money than I should have but the rewards are just so enticing and I am confident I will save money in the long run. That said I am confident I will enjoy the game for some time as I've played other TCGs and I have confidence in the team developing it.

If I was in your position though the choice would be much more difficult. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars I have if I wasn't as confident in the end product or if I was new to tcgs. It needs to be said though that TCGs are expensive and the rewards are lucrative so you could well save money but than again if you find you don't like TCGs you may well waste it.

I cannot give you an answer sorry and I don't think it wise to expect other people to be able to judge better than yourself. If you insist on asking others though I think you should give people an idea of how much money you'd pour into other games for a certain time so they can attempt to way up how much your entertainment is worth to you.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 12:47 AM
If you're not sure about it at all, go for the $20 tier. It'll back the game, get you some free stuff, and give you Alpha and Beta access.

I wouldn't back over the $50 tier if you're not sure you're going to be playing for even a year.

I know I want to give the game a solid shot past the beta and into live play, but I am still somewhat hesitant since I have never played a TCG before. With that being said, if the community is solid and gameplay is compelling I can see myself going for at least the next 2 years or so. I like the $50 price cap idea, but it's so tempting to put in just a bit more cash for so many more rewards. Especially things like Primal Packs & the VIP program.

I suppose I'm more sure about this game then I let on in my original post. But I guess if I'm not a TCG guy then it's over for me.

Indormi
06-06-2013, 12:51 AM
If you pledge king, and you dont like the game is more than likely that you will be able to sell your Lotus Garden and get some of the money back. Or just log everyday to sell Lotus to get your investment back (it may take more than a while, this way)

larryhl
06-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately you have only slightly over a day to decide how much you actually like TCGs...

At this point I'd recommend going on a Flash game site (I recommend Kongregate.com) and trying out the TCG/CCG games they have there, like Kingdoms CCG, Ederon Trading Card Game, Mytheria, Hidden Dimensions, Elements, and Spectromancer. I give you this list because they encompass all different kinds of gameplay, but they are all strongly affiliated with the TCG genre and all have pretty decent tutorials/easy learning curve.

Pentregarth
06-06-2013, 12:55 AM
You're in kind of a tight spot. If this was earlier in the kickstarter, I'd say try out some other TCG to get a feel for the general nature of the game (Duel of the Planeswalkers explains the mechanics fairly well, even if it's very sub-par when it comes to deckbuilding), but seeing as there's less than 2 days left on the kickstarter, that's not really an option.

One thing to add, though: None of the kickstarter exclusives are going to give players any advantage in PvP matches, as the exclusive cards are all PvE only. So, while spectral lotus might seem very powerful, keep in mind you're only going to be able to use it against AI opponents (or in the wild west tournaments, but those will be over the top anyways and, I believe, not really competitive in any case).

With that being said, I'd still say go in at the king level, if you got the money to spare. It really is great value, and if push comes to shove and you find out you really dislike TCGs, I believe you'll be able to sell the account fairly easily once the game picked up speed and some non-KS-backer players (keep in mind though, I'm generally against selling accounts; in your situation, however, it's probably acceptable)

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Depends how much money you are willing to invest. I've talked myself into spending more money than I should have but the rewards are just so enticing and I am confident I will save money in the long run. That said I am confident I will enjoy the game for some time as I've played other TCGs and I have confidence in the team developing it.

If I was in your position though the choice would be much more difficult. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars I have if I wasn't as confident in the end product or if I was new to tcgs. It needs to be said though that TCGs are expensive and the rewards are lucrative so you could well save money but than again if you find you don't like TCGs you may well waste it.

I cannot give you an answer sorry and I don't think it wise to expect other people to be able to judge better than yourself. If you insist on asking others though I think you should give people an idea of how much money you'd pour into other games for a certain time so they can attempt to way up how much your entertainment is worth to you.

Thanks for the response. You're very right, I know myself better than anyone else here and therefore I'm not going to get a single "right" answer, and I understand that. I'm more looking for peoples thought on this game and it's prospects for people new to the TCG world. Is it going to entice a large number of people completely new to the genre, or is it tailored more towards the veterans? I'm just trying to get a discussion going. Hopefully helping others think through the same position I am in (and maybe gain some more backers in the process).

In terms of an actual dollar amount, I honestly wouldn't pay more than $65 at once on a game. The only way I could see myself spending more is for something like a subscription over time which I can activate and deactivate as I please. So maybe I should set my limit at that and see which tier I think is most valuable to me.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately you have only slightly over a day to decide how much you actually like TCGs...

At this point I'd recommend going on a Flash game site (I recommend Kongregate.com) and trying out the TCG/CCG games they have there, like Kingdoms CCG, Ederon Trading Card Game, Mytheria, Hidden Dimensions, Elements, and Spectromancer. I give you this list because they encompass all different kinds of gameplay, but they are all strongly affiliated with the TCG genre and all have pretty decent tutorials/easy learning curve.

I will definitely give some of those a try tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Didn't think about trying others while I wait for HEX.
Is Solforge a decent representation of online TCGs? I have that on my iPad.

Also, to the two people who noted I can either sell my daily lotus's or my Lotus Garden, is there going to be a RMAH equivalent in HEX? Guess I missed that aspect. If so, makes my decision a lot easier as I didn't think I'd be able to make ANY money back on the game.

funktion
06-06-2013, 01:00 AM
If I were in your situation, I'd probably go somewhere between $20-65. If you're thinking of king but not certain, always remember that you can still spend money on the game later, and you're still getting a decent amount of value now.

Also if you're not sure another BIG factor is that right now you're only getting set 1 packs (sure a few more of the others with bonus's) from your pledge. Later on you might like set 5 more and would have rather spent the extra 50 dollars on that set instead.

I think you'll probably have fun with the game regardless of what you pledge. So pledge what you're comfortable with and don't feel like you're stretching your wallet.

keldrin
06-06-2013, 01:07 AM
I know I want to give the game a solid shot past the beta and into live play, but I am still somewhat hesitant since I have never played a TCG before. With that being said, if the community is solid and gameplay is compelling I can see myself going for at least the next 2 years or so. I like the $50 price cap idea, but it's so tempting to put in just a bit more cash for so many more rewards. Especially things like Primal Packs & the VIP program.

I suppose I'm more sure about this game then I let on in my original post. But I guess if I'm not a TCG guy then it's over for me.

When I looked at it, logically breaking down the benefits, I felt the knight tier at $65 was a good point, partly because of the stretch goals. And, if going higher, I would skip champion and go to king.
The kickstarter cards are either alternate art cards usable in PVP, but you could get the same effect with the main release art from boosters. Or PVE only cards. They can only be used in dungeons, and during raids. So, it's not giving you a HUGE advantage for PVP play.
As for will the cards be worth something later on. Looking at magic the gathering as a example, to a extent cards values go up and down with time. Often new sets include cards to force people to play different. SO, with set one, people may come up with 2 or three deck build themes, that end up ruling PVP play. When set 2 comes out, 1 or more of those decks may no longer be desirable to play, because of new cards that have come out. This forces people to adapt, and the game to evolve. It may sound like, thier trying to force you to buy new cards. And, to a extent that's something they want. But, if the same deck themes dominate the game from now on, the game would get boring. So evolution is a good thing. And cards that lost thier value with set 2, might suddenly become desirable with say set 3 or 4, because of the synergy from new cards.
I talked myself into the dungeon crawler tier, myself, and am thinking of adding a king tier, mainly to get the exclusive cards. I feel they will always have some value, especially the cards available at the higher tiers, partly because they will be fairly rare.
Anyways, my advice is knight tier at $65 if hedging your bets. And King tier, if you want to push more money into it, and plan on doing some PVE. The lotus garden sounds amazing for PVE use.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 01:09 AM
If I were in your situation, I'd probably go somewhere between $20-65. If you're thinking of king but not certain, always remember that you can still spend money on the game later, and you're still getting a decent amount of value now.

Also if you're not sure another BIG factor is that right now you're only getting set 1 packs (sure a few more of the others with bonus's) from your pledge. Later on you might like set 5 more and would have rather spent the extra 50 dollars on that set instead.

I think you'll probably have fun with the game regardless of what you pledge. So pledge what you're comfortable with and don't feel like you're stretching your wallet.

Thanks for the value suggestions Funktion. I had one quick question though, I thought I read somewhere we could redeem some of our KS packs later on for Set 2 or Set 3 packs. I could be very mistaken though. If that's the case, I definitely am not going to bother getting a tier that gives some huge number of booster packs if they are all just Set 1 packs.

And Keldrin, I'm glad you resonate with me and feeling that the Knight tier at $65 is good value. Honestly the only reason for spending any more would be for the Dragon's Blood Starter Deck and/or the Spectral Lotus Garden. Both of which I don't quite know the value of yet... Well I know the garden will be great for PvE (but it's almost double the price of the Knight Tier).

funktion
06-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the value suggestions Funktion. I quick question though, I thought I read somewhere we could redeem some of our KS packs later on for Set 2 or Set 3 packs. I could be very mistaken though. If that's the case, I definitely am not going to bother getting a tier that gives some huge number of booster packs if they are all just Set 1 packs.

You will DEFINITELY NOT be able to redeem them for future sets. I'm 100% sure and you can search the forums for further confirmation directly from Cory. Nearly all packs from KS will be set one, unless otherwise mentioned (like in some of the stretch goals for set 2/3).

They're flooding the market initially so that other players also are able to easily "buy in" to the game. It's a win-win-win situation for all parties involved I'd say.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 01:19 AM
You will DEFINITELY NOT be able to redeem them for future sets. I'm 100% sure and you can search the forums for further confirmation directly from Cory. Nearly all packs from KS will be set one, unless otherwise mentioned (like in some of the stretch goals for set 2/3).

They're flooding the market initially so that other players also are able to easily "buy in" to the game. It's a win-win-win situation for all parties involved I'd say.

Okay, that is great to know. And makes a lot more sense in terms of a business model for Cryptozoic. Looks like the Knight tier is looking more and more appealing to someone in my situation.

Also to everyone who has replied to this thread thus far, thank you for your input. From what I read on these forums I think HEX is going to have a really great community. I think that even if the game play isn't everything I was hoping for, this games community will keep bringing me back. I know for me, MMOs are largely driven by the community that it creates and sustains.

larryhl
06-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Swerthy, SolForge is definitely not a TCG you want to look at to decide if you like Hex. For one, there's no resource system at all in Solforge, so you don't get experience with having to deal with costs. Second, it doesn't play like what people would argue as "a typical TCG". Not to say it isn't a great game (I like it and also backed it when its Kickstarter was ongoing). It's just not a fair comparison to Hex.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I ended up going with Knight. Maybe if I still am dying for King when I wake up I'll up my pledge. Can't wait for the alpha!

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 11:01 PM
King is where you'll have less regrets.
if you like the game, you've all the exclusive cards, if you don't, you can re-sell

~

mmimzie
06-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Cory did sound jazzed about a real money AH in his angry joe interveiw. So when that comes out a king will get you your money back as selling your garden might go for abit if you want out of the game all together.

Edit: however as a newer play and not being sure if this is where you'll be happy i'd honestly say go for knight/squire. That way you'll feel like you bought a game and just didn't like it. The king teir is an investment.

Also in the angry joe interveiw he made it seem like he wants set one to be their base set. So a lot of these cards will be re-released in later sets and so they will be used for awhile. However as they get rerelease thier values will drop dramatically over time.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 11:05 PM
King is where you'll have less regrets.
if you like the game, you've all the exclusive cards, if you don't, you can re-sell

~

Now I have never played a TCG before, but is the resale value on this stuff really that good? To the point where I could at least make my money back? If so, then I suppose I really should get King.

It's just I'd rather by down $65 for a game than $120 (it's nearly double).

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 11:06 PM
It really depends on what is $120 to you

~

ForgedSol
06-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Yup, agree with larryhl. SolForge is an entirely different game from Hex, which requires different kinds of strategies and thinking. Which is exactly why I'm comfortable playing both games, but it's not what you need to get a feel for Hex.

Duels of the Planeswalkers on the iPad is what you'll want to look at. (But realize that Duels of the Planeswalkers is a simplified version of the real Magic Online.)

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 11:09 PM
It really depends on what is $120 to you

~

Pretty much that. If you've got the money to kill, King is one hell of a good deal. If you're on a tighter budget but still want a good deal, Knight is the way to go.

Tinuvas
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Probably too late, but something to consider when gauging the odds that you will like this game is maybe not so much your TCG experience (or lack thereof) but your WoW experience. I fully expect that if you enjoyed your days in WoW, you will find much to like in Hex right away. Even if you never use your pledge to do more than token PvP action (the staple venue of a TCG), the PvE environment will have enough cross-over from similar concepts in WoW (but with new fresh stories etc.) that you should have a good time with it. Just an odds thing, but something to think about when deciding on a tier.

Swerthy
06-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Probably too late, but something to consider when gauging the odds that you will like this game is maybe not so much your TCG experience (or lack thereof) but your WoW experience. I fully expect that if you enjoyed your days in WoW, you will find much to like in Hex right away. Even if you never use your pledge to do more than token PvP action (the staple venue of a TCG), the PvE environment will have enough cross-over from similar concepts in WoW (but with new fresh stories etc.) that you should have a good time with it. Just an odds thing, but something to think about when deciding on a tier.

I did love my days playing WoW. Was always competitive in PvP and with a top 100 US guild across my 7 years of playing the game. Those were the days... until I met my fiancÚ. Haha.

Speaking of funds, recently dropped a few grand on a ring so money is tighter than expected. But I could always shell out an extra $60 for a good reason! At this rate I'll probably wake up and up my pledge to King at the last minute... I swear, in 6-9 months I'll either be thanking everyone for helping me make the right choice, or looking for account buyers. Haha

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have dropped as much as I did on my pledge if I wasn't sure it would be a good investment. On its own Hex fills a niche in the market that is entirely untapped, and is looking to do so in a way that isn't half-assed like some digital tcgs. Additionally, CZE is a tried and true company that has already proven they can create and sustain a successful, entertaining product.

maniza
06-06-2013, 11:29 PM
if you have the money and want the bang for your buck tier that is 120 dollar king.

keldrin
06-06-2013, 11:36 PM
One thing to kind of think about with king, is the lotus garden will produce one lotus per day. A year from now, it will likely be worth as much as the extra money you spend going from knight to king. And if you logged in every day for that year, and collected your lotus, you would potentially be sitting on a large enough stock of them, to not feel to bad about parting with it. That said, if you find you're using pretty much everyone you get, or find the produced lotus cards are good trade stock, you'll be hoarding that card thankful you have it.
Value amount is just a guess, Buuuuuttt. In a supply and demand environment, I would imagine the demand will increase while the supply, if anything, gets smaller. I'm betting a lot of people will be unwilling to part with theirs, so not expecting very many hitting the auction house.
I still feel knight is a good level though, and the minimum I would want to pledge at. It gives you a lot to work with.
That said, my logicing here on this thread, convinced me to add a king tier, so I now have a dungeon crawler and a king tier.

self1sch
06-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Everybody is talking about "getting your money back" if someone doesn't like the game. So will I be able to sell cards for real life money like in Diablo 3? I'm not talking about gold or platinum, I mean REAL MONEY :D

KnowingCrow
06-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Everybody is talking about "getting your money back" if someone doesn't like the game. So will I be able to sell cards for real life money like in Diablo 3? I'm not talking about gold or platinum, I mean REAL MONEY :D

Let me put it this way;

I would personally Paypal you $100 for you to trade me your Spectral Lotus Garden.

DisOrd3r
06-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Well im new to TCG too but I hope I did the right choice investing in this game! :)

AstaSyneri
06-07-2013, 03:31 AM
The short version: King. It's an awesome value, giving you a lot of do in PvE (with all the extra cards), and enough cards at an extremely attractive price (150 boosters for $120? Hell, yeah!) to do a very decent showing in PvP.

The second thing I would do is find a guild with people you like to spend time with (that's why I joined a PvE guild - I just love playing cooperatively). There is a thread out there that lists quite a few guilds already.

FJ_JJ
06-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Great thread. I struggled with the same question being in the same situation. I think all the levels represent great value. I decided to go King for a couple of reasons: 1. It is a great value as everyone mentions, 2. You get nearly every exclusive card and many other great items, 3. I wanted to Lotus Garden and didn't want to later regret not picking it up. I was interested in the game and wanted to give it a chance. I look at it this way - if you are a video gamer, $120 is the cost of two new video games. If you play the game for even a decent amount of time, you should realize the same value as you would for a couple of video games. And you may even get money back if you want to sell your collection later. As someone mentioned in another thread on this topic, people will want to hold on to their exclusive cards so there may be a demand for the exclusive cards for people trying to build decks if you wanted to liquidate your collection.

Swerthy
06-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Glad this thread was useful for people. I know it was for me.

I ended up biting the bullet and getting King. I figured at the very least I can sell my garden if I don't enjoy the game. But I'm hoping I really love it and enjoy playing for years to come. That way I can see it more as a good investment into a great game. Can't wait to see you all in-game!