PDA

View Full Version : Hex Table Top RPG

Tathel
06-06-2013, 06:10 AM
After listening to Cory's Weekingeek interview I began to think about how much campaign world material there is. The races are also fairly different then any popular RPG I can think of.
On top of this there are interesting magic mechanics that are not very common in table top RPGs.

Cory has also said that he wants CZE to be an all around entertainment company.

- Do you think we will eventually see this?
- Do you think CZE will develop it or license it out?
- What do you think about this idea?

fido_one
06-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I think it's a great idea if you're into tabletops. On this vein I'd say would CZE license out a story line of some sort of HEX for a [digital] RPG?

That's obviously pie in the sky type of stuff, a.k.a. Hex would in my guess be ridonkulously successful.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 06:28 AM
That'd be kind of ironic, if Hex spawned a physical board or tabletop game...

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Maybe CZE should do the first Online table top RPG? With webcams and stuff
If they do it, I want credits and royalties!

~

Kami
06-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Maybe CZE should do the first Online table top RPG? With webcams and stuff
If they do it, I want credits and royalties!

~

I think that already exists with sites like roll20.net

Tathel
06-06-2013, 07:10 AM
I think that already exists with sites like roll20.net

Yeah, I don't think they need to tackle to platform for a RP game. But since CZE makes many physical games I don't think it would be out of their scope to expand into the RPG side of table top gaming.

Cory used to LARP so I don't really have a question that he'd love to see something like this, I was just curious about the current communities thoughts.

Table Top RPGs do not make much money compared to TCG so I'm not sure if from a business standpoint it's worth their time. However they will have tons and tons of art, and obviously have the lore and plans for a novel.

I personally think it would be a good idea for them to talk to a company like Evil Hat. They have done Dresden and Atomic Robo licensed products and I think would be a good fit.

GreyGriffin
06-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Hex would be an excellent platform for the idea of the hybrid RPG, a lite piece of software that does all the backend math for you tied to an ebook of the game itself.

But that might be getting ahead of ourselves.

Hex might have the potential to be RPG material but there are a lot of questions to be answered.

First and foremost... what do the Players represent? Are they Champions on par with the Planeswalkers of Magic? Or are they soldiers, volunteers, adventurers or pawns in the doings of these empowered beings?

Getting a sense of scale will definitely make it much easier to get a sense of purpose that PCs would be driving for.

TexArcane
06-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Table top RPGs are a dying breed I'm afraid. My shelves filled with out of print RPG books can bear witness.

Bossett
06-08-2013, 01:50 AM
I'd like to see a digital RPG - maybe based around the characters that end up in the book?

GreyGriffin
06-08-2013, 02:33 AM
I don't think tabletop is dying anytime soon. World of Darkness was dealt a blow, but as with PC games, a lot of indie games are backing up an increasingly diversified market. I just picked up Engine Heart from Kickstarter, have both Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard, am extremely excited for D&D Next and Exalted 3rd edition, and am still collecting for Eclipse Phase.

There are a TON of great games out there. You just have to look!

Edit: Forgot Shadowrun 5, due out this year.

successfulgeek
06-08-2013, 03:40 AM
I love the idea. Heck after a bit more info comes out, it wouldn't be too hard to put a small campaign together for a group using your favorite system and just use Hex as the setting.

Maybe not everything would be right, but that is what role playing is for.