PDA

View Full Version : Who is your fave merc/champ spoiled so far?

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey everyone,

After doing a little testing with a certain Monkey of the 9-Tails, I was wondering who your favourite currently spoiled merc or champ is, and why? Assuming max level, unless for some reason you want to assume otherwise.

There are some obvious good ones, like Ebonrock, but Monkey is pretty sexy - if for nothing more than starting you off with an extra 2 cards. His 9 health and 9 damage abilities would be very situational, but his very-expensive charge power is a legitimate win condition, and could actually be built around on its own (with things like Charge Bots and Chlorophyllia). Of course, the issue with that is surviving until you reach 9 charges, but in testing even just having 2 extra cards is pretty sexy for certain deck.

What mercs do you all like?

Madican
06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Cardboard Tube Samurai and I foresee Ebonrock getting a ban or nerf for competitive play.

Fateanomaly
06-06-2013, 09:27 AM
9 tails and the mushroom.

Tyrfang
Ebonrock, if the dwarf that gives -1 cost to all artifacts synergizes with his ability to turn all troops into artifact troops.

Monkey would be good if you build a deck around 3 damage creatures and giant mana sinks, like Burn to the Ground or Life Siphon.

jaxsonbateman
Well he's PvE only, so they might just allow him. I don't know how seriously they'll take PvE-duels.

Daer
06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Mooof because he is a mushroom.

MatWith1T
06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Mooof definitely my favorite at the moment. His passives give the best leg up in my opinion.

This seems like a apropos place to raise the question... am I missing something on Mephistophelius? The charge power is alright, but all of his passives seem like things that I would not actually want to happen in a game.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
This seems like a apropos place to raise the question... am I missing something on Mephistophelius? The charge power is alright, but all of his passives seem like things that I would not actually want to happen in a game.
He's a combo card. His charge lets you dig at a very low charge cost, his first passive stops your normal draw, but then allows you to draw a card for a single mana, and his third ability can help you regain some life if you've lost too much to the second. His final ability is pretty random though - personally, I'm not a fan, as it turns him from something you can easily consider, to something that can be a hindrance and liability depending on what cards he hits with the tax.

Essentially, if you were playing some sort of combo deck where assembling a combo virtually wins you the game, you'd play him for his first charge power and his take-card-and-lose-life-for-1-mana ability.

Trothael
06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Cardboard Tube Samurai and Mooof.

Gregzilla
06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Moooooooof and Glorfenblort are my faves. I can see making decks around both easily. Especially Glorfenblort.

Gregzilla
06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Also, I'm curious if we'll be seeing these guys as actual cards, too. Zoltag has a merc and a card, so why not?

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
There seems to be a lot of love for CTS and Mooof atm.

I thought I'd review the others to see why they might not be so popular...
*Aethynia, I feel like the creature she creates would have to be pretty awesome to warrant her inclusion. If you can swap mercs mid dungeon she might be good for that, if the encounter you're on would really benefit from an extra 50% health.
*We probably need to know what 'parts' are before we can make judgement on Bebo.
*Glorfenbort really only works in a burn deck, unless I'm missing something, so he's quite restrictive. But in a burn deck he could be good. Having him as your merc actually makes Goblin Cooking Pot fantastic which is just absurd (seeing as his 8 charge ability is effectively a one-sided sweeper)
*Zoltog would be pretty good for orcs, but one of the worse options for non-orcs

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Also, I'm curious if we'll be seeing these guys as actual cards, too. Zoltag has a merc and a card, so why not?
That'd be cool. Wouldn't mind seeing a Mooof card that might be able to do something with the Mushtaciod Gang or his other passives.

MatWith1T
06-06-2013, 09:40 AM
He's a combo card. His charge lets you dig at a very low charge cost, his first passive stops your normal draw, but then allows you to draw a card for a single mana, and his third ability can help you regain some life if you've lost too much to the second. His final ability is pretty random though - personally, I'm not a fan, as it turns him from something you can easily consider, to something that can be a hindrance and liability depending on what cards he hits with the tax.

Essentially, if you were playing some sort of combo deck where assembling a combo virtually wins you the game, you'd play him for his first charge power and his take-card-and-lose-life-for-1-mana ability.

I actually didn't notice until just now that the 2nd power has a mana cost and can be activated multiple times. Thought it was just replacing your draw with drawing that card anyways and losing life. Thanks for pointing that out (or at least reminding me to read it through another time more thoroughly).

Ben
06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Mooof.

Avaian
06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Mooof, here also.

I just want to beat up things with a gang of mushrooms.

Moondancer
06-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Zoltog!

Estar1
06-06-2013, 09:54 AM
My most favorite is Monkey of nine tails , However aethyena might be intresting in a ozawa/lifegain deck similar to the one the twitch stream was using depends on how good her card is.

MatWith1T
06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
My most favorite is Monkey of nine tails , However aethyena might be intresting in a ozawa/lifegain deck similar to the one the twitch stream was using depends on how good her card is.

Based on the twitch stream, i am looking forward to making a raid deck with Aethyna and Raid Leader's blessing (+1 health/turn) for some ridiculously pumped up Righteous Paladins.

Vylokx
06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm enjoying this thread too much and can't hold back my excitement any longer. Time for my very first wildly speculative and premature Hex post!

Mephistophelius is the closest thing I've seen to a "Demon Champion", and so far he also looks like the most intriguing underdog to tackle. I'll probably try him out first as a Wild Raptor Rush (gotta love that free Alternate Art AND Legendary equipment for backers!), packing plenty of low-threshold Wild creatures that cost 1-3 to try and make the most out of, if not abuse, his strange random start-of-game effect.

The cards that end up cheaper or free join the board ASAP, all while I'm hopefully adding tons of Pack Raptors to my deck. Filter away the cards that got an increased cost with Meph's sweet charge power and lay down the Wild funky beats. Sounds Tier Fun to me! ;)

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Even if he's not too popular at the moment, I'd advise everyone to not underestimate Mephi. The ability to draw multiple cards a turn for a low mana cost and a life payment can't be scoffed at, and he gets to 'loot' (draw-then-discard) a card a turn. The reason I'm not more appreciative of him is his unpredictable lv 20 ability, but even with that - I would not be surprised in the slightest if some combo decks make fantastic use of him.

Also, I feel like putting this out there - 9 Tails + 3 Raid Leaders doing a Raid = 12 cards in your opening hand. +5 cards... o.O

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
I can see Mephi working well with an inspire deck and blessing of the fallen.

Vylokx
06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Now that I'm looking back at all the awesome powers on these Mercs we've seen so far, I already want to vow to get them ALL to max level eventually (in addition to my very own custom champs for each class/race, natch). Here's hoping for some kind of "alt-oholic" achievement goal for the PVE-obsessive "Pros" such as myself to strive toward.

Alternate art unlocks to boot would be swell, while I'm at it!

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Leveling a merc should be easier than leveling a champion, but there will probably be at least 30-40 more mercenaries to acquire in PvE, so I wish you luck.

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Mooof, hands down. I think Meph is very strong though. Then again, I remember the days when Necropotence ruled the Magic scene.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Definitely agree that Meph has potential. That last ability... it's just so random. It has potential to help you, but then it has potential to really hurt you - that last ability could win and lose games, where the first three do much more winning you the game than losing. Hopefully you can disable abilities you don't like. :-P

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Monkey - for he is the best by far. 9 cards on hand passive ability? Here comes my combo decks and 2 free mulligans..no mushroom or samurai can beat that ! :D

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Monkey - for he is the best by far. 9 cards on hand passive ability? Here comes my combo decks and 2 free mulligans..no mushroom or samurai can beat that ! :D

It's not a free mulligan, your max hand size is 9.

Avaian
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM

You also start the game with two additional cards. so 1 mulligan down to 8 and another down to 7 cards.

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 11:28 AM

what?

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
The monkey increases your max hand size to 9, so there's no need to mulligan away cards...

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 11:32 AM
The monkey increases your max hand size to 9, so there's no need to mulligan away cards...

lol are you on drugs? :D read the posts

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Tyr's right. Because you start with 9 cards, mulliganing from that would cause you to lose cards that you could've otherwise kept. It's not the same as, say, three raid leaders getting a free mulligan (or 2 or 3) because their cards would be discarded at the end of turn if not played.

Still, we get your point that the 9-Tails lets you see a few starting hands before forcing you to go below 7.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:42 AM
lol are you on drugs? :D read the posts

What's the confusion? It still costs you a card to mulligan, so it's not free.

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM

but this post is tottaly stupid jason

In my post I said combo deck, so if i want my opening combo on my hand I might mulligan and it will give me much bigger chance to obtain this combo hand.

So no, Tyrfang is not right ,-)

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
What's the confusion? It still costs you a card to mulligan, so it's not free.

lol what? I said 2 free mulligans if you cant comprehend that 9-2=7 and normally I would have 7....

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
It's not a free mulligan. A free mulligan indicates that it costs you no cards, like you'd get with Head Games and the legendary equipment. Even the RL versions aren't 'free', but seeing as you'd lose excess cards at the end of the turn because of no-increased hand size they're effectively free.

9-Tails is not free, at all. As I said, we get your point that you can see a few opening hands before being forced to go below 7 - the issue I'm having, and I think Tyr is having, is that you're mislabelling it.

Evilgm
06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Mooof has a 10% chance of winning the game per turn early on by putting 2 Wild Resources into play. That's fairly difficult to beat.

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
It's not a free mulligan. A free mulligan indicates that it costs you no cards, like you'd get with Head Games and the legendary equipment. Even the RL versions aren't 'free', but seeing as you'd lose excess cards at the end of the turn because of no-increased hand size they're effectively free.

9-Tails is not free, at all. As I said, we get your point that you can see a few opening hands before being forced to go below 7 - the issue I'm having, and I think Tyr is having, is that you're mislabelling it.

welcome to nazi grammar world. jesus crist I am going to have a beer with captain Picard tonigh.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Grammar is the difference between "let's eat grandma" and "let's eat, grandma". Grammar saves lives.

Also, you're the one that wasn't satisfied with my responses even though I said I knew what you meant.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:58 AM
It's simply not free. You have to have the 9-tailed monkey (instead of a different merc or champion), and you are still using a card to mulligan each time.

That's not grammar, it's just a fact. Also, you're using the term 'grammar' incorrectly, but I'm not going to go into that debate.

jai151
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Grammar is the difference between "let's eat grandma" and "let's eat, grandma". Grammar saves lives.

Also, you're the one that wasn't satisfied with my responses even though I said I knew what you meant.

Personally, I prefer:

It's the difference between, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse" and "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse."

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Guys, guys, guys.... guys... guys, guys... guys...

Hi.

Ben
06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Well, this thread has took a turn for the worse.

mainstager
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Mooof FTW!

I can't wait to lead an army of shin'hare with Mooof only to lead them into a hungry Mushwocky...

...the Mushwocky is always hungry.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Let us get it back on track.

Why not much Glorfenblort love? Is it because you don't want to build a burn deck around him, or because you don't like the fart jokes?

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
You did it , you proved 9monkeytail does not give you a free mulligan. You spent your life energy on a meaningful thing.

When Ill play my combo deck and Ill mulligan from 9 to 7 normal hand size Ill remember that its not free! Rejoice now.

Your english teacher and math teacher,ofc, would be proud.

RobHaven
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Cardboard Tube's third ability (create a meditate, put it in your hand; gain a sapphire) sounds like it could be pretty incredible.

In terms of sheer power, though, I don't see Ebonrock being beaten. By turn 3, you can have any 3 cost artifact you want in play: That means any of your troops costing 3 or less, Shrine of Prosperity, General's Tent, Spectral Lotus (not really sure how that would work...), etc.
Unless I'm misunderstand how threshold works, I imagine that gets bypassed here also. You could stick an off-shard troop in your deck for exactly this purpose, then pitch it when it comes to hand. Uruunaz? King Gabriel? Ozawa? The list goes on.
And again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the mechanics, but couldn't you Replicator's Gambit one of your guys (adding the x7 ability to it), then inscribing that troop to your Reverse Engineering, then put him into play (thus activating the Gambit's ability)?

EDIT
To clarify: You'd have troop X and Reverse Engineering in play. You Rep Gambit the troop, adding "when this comes into play, create 6 copies..." to it and shuffling it into your deck. You then use Engineering to look through your deck. You choose that troop (which is an artifact because of Ebon's 4th ability) to inscribe. Now the inscribed artifact on Engineering should still have the "creates 6 copies" ability...right?

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Actually, I've been using 9-Tails with my combo deck and haven't had to mulligan once.

I mean what? >.>

Avaian
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM

Why not much Glorfenblort love? Is it because you don't want to build a burn deck around him, or because you don't like the fart jokes?

Personally I don't like that I have to use goblin cooking pot, and burns to get the most of him. His level 10 passive is awesome though.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Cardboard Tube's third ability (create a meditate, put it in your hand; gain a sapphire) sounds like it could be pretty incredible.

In terms of sheer power, though, I don't see Ebonrock being beaten. By turn 3, you can have any 3 cost artifact you want in play: That means any of your troops costing 3 or less, Shrine of Prosperity, General's Tent, Spectral Lotus (not really sure how that would work...), etc.
Unless I'm misunderstand how threshold works, I imagine that gets bypassed here also. You could stick an off-shard troop in your deck for exactly this purpose, then pitch it when it comes to hand. Uruunaz? King Gabriel? Ozawa? The list goes on.
And again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the mechanics, but couldn't you Replicator's Gambit one of your guys (adding the x7 ability to it), then inscribing that troop to your Reverse Engineering, then put him into play (thus activating the Gambit's ability)?
His ability to tutor is pretty handy. And I think he probably does bypass threshold costs because you're not actually playing the card. However, on your final point - they aren't entering the battlefield; Reverse Engineering is transforming, so it won't trigger enter-play abilities like Rep Gambit.

He's pretty potent, and will be a great choice for many decks.

RobHaven
06-06-2013, 12:16 PM
For my own purposes, I'll choose to pretend like it DOES trigger "enter play" abilities so I can continue to salivate over various overpowered setups.

Avaian
06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

EDIT
To clarify: You'd have troop X and Reverse Engineering in play. You Rep Gambit the troop, adding "when this comes into play, create 6 copies..." to it and shuffling it into your deck. You then use Engineering to look through your deck. You choose that troop (which is an artifact because of Ebon's 4th ability) to inscribe. Now the inscribed artifact on Engineering should still have the "creates 6 copies" ability...right?

The card doesn't come into play it transforms into it. So ' Comes into play effects don't work', and Theshold is irrelevant.

MatWith1T
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Assuming Fart stacks (and there's no reason to think that it doesn't), it's actually a gamechanger for longer matches. It's just not nearly as fun to theorycraft a deck around forcing a stalemate.

Avaian
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Poor BEBO (or is it Bebo?) is not getting any love :(

If the parts are strong enough this could be a strong Merc, I guess there just isn't enough information.

Spartoi
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Poor BEBO (or is it Bebo?) is not getting any love :(

If the parts are strong enough this could be a strong Merc, I guess there just isn't enough information.

Agreed, was just coming here to say exactly this. I'm all in for Bebo, the cutest worker bot.

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I just like that there are cool options depending on what you like. Have a burn strategy? Gorfenblort might be your man (troll/goblin?). Want to go for combo-riffic action? Monkey is there. Like crazy card advantage? Meph. Has me excited to see what else they have in store as we go through the PvE stuff.

But Mooof is still the best. ;)

ShaolinRaven
06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm a fan of Penny Arcade so Cardboard Tube Samurai, but I also think Mephi has some interesting possibilities and may try and build a Faustian bargain type deck with Mephi.

Random360
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Mooof is by far my favorite, I know I'll crack a smile every time I summon the gang.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Honestly, I feel like we're really underestimating the power of your main champion. I doubt many of us will level all the mercs, because the alts will be more powerful. :)

Avaian
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Its hard to have an opinion about something you don't know much about, but I agree the Champions will probably be powerful. I am not sure you would be able to use alts as mercs, but who knows.