PDA

View Full Version : Q from a TCG Noob - Any good reason to drop EBK from GK and add Collector?

Ghii_Zhar
06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I currently have an Early Bird King and a Grand King. I have only played MTG DotP a few times, so by no means do I consider myself an experienced TCG player.

I am overwhelmed at the vast knowledge and analytical abilities of the TCG experts I have seen here and on the KS Comments page.

To a noob like me, it seems like GK + Collector would be a better combo than GK + EBK, but I realize that there may be superfluous redundancies, nuances, or strictly vanity items with no real advantage that a noob cannot grasp.

What do the TCG Brainiacs think, since I have the funds, would there be a real advantage to swapping EBK for Collector?

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
No, I'd suggest you just keep EBK and add Collector.

Collector and GK doesn't really stack well, but King stacks with anything.

Willzyx
06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I'd suggest you keep EBK no matter what you do. It's easily the best instant value in the kickstarter, period.

Googolplex
06-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Keep what you have, trust me!

Indormi
06-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Collector goes with everything. If you want to get the 1 year free draft (in addition to your gk benefit) you need to make 2 accounts and then trade everything to your GK one while doing 1 draft/week on yours collector account

Genocidal
06-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Since you already have EBK and GK, the only benefit to Collector is an additional 2 copies of the yearly alt art cards (that you're already getting 2 of with GK). Is that worth $160 to you? For me it wouldn't be.

jaxsonbateman
Oh Tyr. :-P

Ghii, if you upgrade the EBK to Collector, you essentially get an extra copy of every card from the King level (so I believe you'd have 6 of most, and 4 Spectral Lotus Gardens), and you'd get 2 more sets of the Collector level AA yearly cards, for 4 of each (or full playsets).

Essentially, what you'd be getting is more trading power, plain and simple. More of the KS exclusive cards to trade to people from the outset, and 12 extra cards a year (the 2 extra sets of the 6 Collector cards) that well under 1% of players will be given.

It's your call whether or not that's worth the extra money. Personally, I'd stick with GK and EBK (if I somehow manage to miraculously snare a GK, I'll be adding a king to it).

Yasi
What do the TCG Brainiacs think, since I have the funds, would there be a real advantage to swapping EBK for Collector?

Short answer: Yes.

madar
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Keep what you have, trust me!

+1

wildcard
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Confused by the notion that Collector doesn't stack well with GK? GK+Collector is $750 and gets four Spectral Lotus Garden, six of each transferrable exclusive card, 4 copies of the 6 PvP AltArt cards per year for life, 400 set-1 boosters, 100 set-2 boosters and some number of set-3 (30?), along with 1 free booster draft per week for life, the 100% loot bonus, 10% pve xp bonus, and +1 card in your raid's opening hand. Not that I want anyone else buying Collector... EBK is still the best bang-for-your-buck tier, but GK+Collector sounds like a winner to me.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Collector and GK doesn't really stack well, but King stacks with anything.
Collector & GK stack fine :)

4 copies of Spectral Lotus Garden
6 copies of every other exclusive KS cards so you'll have 2 to sell/trade/give-away
4 copies of each of the future 6 alternate-art pvp cards, a full playset
Tons of boosters

I have a few friends who could only back at lower levels. I plan on giving them tons of boosters, commons & uncommons to get them started and with 4x Gardens I can start pumping out Lotuses for them to use during PvE too... as long as I have 4 for my current dungeon run :)

Plus full playsets of alternate art cards so my collector-OCD doesn't drive me nuts :)

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Collector & GK stack fine :)

4 copies of Spectral Lotus Garden
6 copies of every other exclusive KS cards so you'll have 2 to sell/trade/give-away
4 copies of each of the future 6 alternate-art pvp cards, a full playset
Tons of boosters

I have a few friends who backed at lower levels. I plan on giving them tons of boosters, commons & uncommons to get them started and with 4x Gardens I can start pumping out Lotuses to give them as well.

Plus full playsets of alternate art cards so my collector-OCD doesn't drive me nuts :)
Pretty sure Tyr was saying that to get a GK spot freed up. :-P

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
No, I meant the year of drafts from Collector doesn't stack with GK, so you might want to keep it separate.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Oh, ok. Well sure, but to the OP, getting Collector + GK is solid if you want that extra trading power as people have mentioned. Just don't merge the accounts; a Collector Tier is pretty much the one 250 tier that has no benefit from merging with others, as all the exclusive stuff you get is tradable.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh, ok. Well sure, but to the OP, getting Collector + GK is solid if you want that extra trading power as people have mentioned. Just don't merge the accounts; a Collector Tier is pretty much the one 250 tier that has no benefit from merging with others, as all the exclusive stuff you get is tradable.

Well, Guild Leader has no reason to merge, either, but why would anyone pledge that...

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:24 AM
There's an added benefit to splitting up your pledges - you get another account with all the mercenaries and deck sleeves.

Turtlewing
06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I currently have an Early Bird King and a Grand King. I have only played MTG DotP a few times, so by no means do I consider myself an experienced TCG player.

I am overwhelmed at the vast knowledge and analytical abilities of the TCG experts I have seen here and on the KS Comments page.

To a noob like me, it seems like GK + Collector would be a better combo than GK + EBK, but I realize that there may be superfluous redundancies, nuances, or strictly vanity items with no real advantage that a noob cannot grasp.

The advantage is you get an extra lotus garden and 2 extra collector AA cards. You do also get one more of every king level exclusive but that's marginal since you'd already have 5 of each (3 from GK 2 from EB King).

I'm pledged GK + Collector so I thought it was worth it.

Indormi
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
For me GK+ Collector is the real "Collector tier"