PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours left and I still can't decide to back or not!

ssg13
06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
I am total newbie to TCG. I have never played them. Maybe when I was little I played first digital MTG demo. So totally new to these kind of games. I have wanted to play MTG for long time. I just never have had money or friends.
I have been watching every video, every interview, every blog I have found for a week now. It is about the best part of my week when new twitch.tv gameplay stream has come. I have really enjoyed watching this game. Don't know if I enjoy playing it.
I have not bothered to try DotP. I know I won't like it because it does not have customizable decks. Game mechanics tho would be another thing, but I don't think there won't be any point of testing them on DotP because I would be forced to use some pre-made decks and I would hate it for that.

My current money situation isn't the best. I have being struggling to decide should I spent now 120 USD to King and starve for rest of the month or should I wait for release and then start playing? If I don't like the game I could easily ditch it at release, but if I do I would have to spent hundreds of dollars more money compared to backing it now. There is of course lesser tiers than king. King just seems to be the best bang for the buck and every lower tier seems waste of money.

Please! Help me decide something.

Stok3d
06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Get a King and you can eat from the Lotus Garden for a month

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
If you don't have the money, go around Knight. It's probably the next best tier for value/$.

Squire if you're really tight on cash.

jai151
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
If you can't afford King without starving yourself for a month, go in at a lower tier. Yes, you don't get as much, but you still get a lot.

And, you know, you don't die...

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Not much point having digital playthings if you're miserable in meat space. Grab Squire and enjoy some of the solid benefits without bankrupting yourself. Or donate some plasma... worked for me in college. ;)

ssg13
06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Too bad donating blood/plasma is not option in Finland. You are lucky if you get coffee and sandwich :D

**** it! I just buy king and decide I won't buy any another games until I have cleared some from my endless backlog. That won't work but thanks god I am really good at lying to myself.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Too bad donating blood/plasma is not option in Finland. You are lucky if you get coffee and sandwich :D

**** it! I just buy king and decide I won't buy any another games until I have cleared some from my endless backlog. That won't work but thanks god I am really good at lying to myself.

ssg13: Just don't google Star Citizen, and you'll be okay.

Mr.Funsocks
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I can't donate any blood products :( Stupid living in Britain during the Mad Cow scare. I WAS A BABY, OK, I WASN'T EATING HAMBURGERS.

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Hmm... well you could always sell some old, used games. Also another favorite of mine.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I can't donate any blood products :( Stupid living in Britain during the Mad Cow scare. I WAS A BABY, OK, I WASN'T EATING HAMBURGERS.
You could always sell... other things. Bow chicka wow wow.

DjiN
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
This is a one in a lifetime deal. Get as much as you can afford and if you dont like the game sell your stuff in couple months after release.

GallyX0
06-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I think deciding on tiers depends a bit on if you think you will be more interested in the PvP or PvE aspect of the game. King is great for both, but if you don't think you will be delving too deeply or too devotedly into PvE you can get a lot of value from the lower tiers like captain or even just the 20$ tier. All those packs and decks will get you started, cost you less than a new release game, and save you money later if you end up getting into this game and wanting to draft or construct PvP decks.

ssg13
06-06-2013, 01:19 PM
ssg13: Just don't google Star Citizen, and you'll be okay.

I was going to say in my last post something like this "Until deadline of Star Citizen comes, DayZ Standalone is released..." and god only knows what else. :D Decided that it was not relevant and deleted it. I am tempted to back Star Citizen with $65 to get maps and other cool stuff, but I guess I have to satisfy to basic pledge without alpha or beta access. Good thing actually. I have spoiled so many games playing alpha/beta for hundreds of hours that I haven't even touched final release.

I'm selling my mechanical keyboard and some old and expensive medical books I have laying around. Just need to find buyer :D

This is a one in a lifetime deal. Get as much as you can afford and if you dont like the game sell your stuff in couple months after release.

Yeah, that is the only reason I am tempted to spent so much money. Usually I don't buy games if they are over or near $25. Sweet sweet -75% Steam sales have spoiled me.

All boils down pretty much to one thing if I will enjoy HEX or not. Community, friends, guild. I just have to find some nice people to play with and I will be stuck to this game for years. Too bad I am European. It is always hard to find communities here with all the different time zones and languages.

Mr.Funsocks
06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
All boils down pretty much to one thing if I will enjoy HEX or not. Community, friends, guild. I just have to find some nice people to play with and I will be stuck to this game for years. Too bad I am European. It is always hard to find communities here with all the different time zones and languages.

My longtime gaming group has a few Euros (a German, a Dane, and a Swede). I actually almost ended up joining a Euro guild or two in my time. Because I am an insomniac.

But yeah, it can be hard to find groups, luckily with no division of the servers or the like, it should be easier in Hex. Guilds also don't have to be nearly as big, no 40 man raids.

FJ_JJ
06-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm in the exact same boat as this guy - I can't decide what to do. I was thinking about backing at a lower level, but I feel you miss out on so much if you go lower than King. On the flip side, as someone who is only a casual fan of TCGs and not very experienced, I am not sure I will like the game and am concerned about dropping $120 on something I might not even like or play that much. I was also thinking about Champion - is it worth the extra for what you get in the King tier?

Being in experienced, I am mostly interested in the PvE experience. Will HEX be fun for a casual, non-hardcore TCG gamer?

I am also concerned about time factor - will you need to devote significant amounts of time to the game to get enjoyment out of it?

If I do a King and decide I don't like the game or don't have time, will there be a market to liquidate my collection? The number of backers makes me concerned that if I wanted to do something like this, there would not be a market for it with so many people getting the same rewards.

Please help me decide what to do!

ssg - I may be willing to join a guild with you - your situation seems a lot like mine.

ForgedSol
06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
You mean you are happy there will be a market with so many people getting only one or two copies of a lot of the exclusive rewards and they'll be wanting playsets.

And the other tiers only don't look as appealing comparatively. Every single tier from Squire on up is excellent value. If you can't afford it, you can go lower. But if you do stick with King, someone will buy your Lotus Garden for sure if you decide to quit.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
I am total newbie to TCG. I have never played them. Maybe when I was little I played first digital MTG demo. So totally new to these kind of games. I have wanted to play MTG for long time. I just never have had money or friends.
I have been watching every video, every interview, every blog I have found for a week now. It is about the best part of my week when new twitch.tv gameplay stream has come. I have really enjoyed watching this game. Don't know if I enjoy playing it.
I have not bothered to try DotP. I know I won't like it because it does not have customizable decks. Game mechanics tho would be another thing, but I don't think there won't be any point of testing them on DotP because I would be forced to use some pre-made decks and I would hate it for that.

My current money situation isn't the best. I have being struggling to decide should I spent now 120 USD to King and starve for rest of the month or should I wait for release and then start playing? If I don't like the game I could easily ditch it at release, but if I do I would have to spent hundreds of dollars more money compared to backing it now. There is of course lesser tiers than king. King just seems to be the best bang for the buck and every lower tier seems waste of money.

Please! Help me decide something.

YOu will love Hex :D
But safe pledge is 20, its a super great value and 20 dollars is not much to lose.

35 like doubles in value if you want to be a risk taker :P

I got the King, someone will want your lotus gardens dude if you ever decide to quit (doubt it), but if you cannot afford it reduce down. King is like the best value out there, but its 120 dollars.

FJ_JJ
06-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. You guys make good points. I find myself coming to the site often, so maybe that means I'll like it.

The competitive environment is a little intimidating but maybe there will be others like me who are new to TCGs. I have been watching the forums and community seems very good.

I'll probably invest in the King and see what happens (I do feel kind of silly asking about King when there are many others that have invested much more.

dodecapod
06-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I think you should go for the cheapest pledge there is. It's affordable and you still get access to alpha. Kings and up, you are pretty much gambling, especially since there are so many unknowns in your situation. The biggest being whether you even enjoy TCGs. Gambling when your strap for cash is also a terrible thing to do. I should know, I'm a huge gambler lol

But anyways, that's just my opinion. Hope you enjoy the game, whatever tier you decide to get.

OysterPrime
06-06-2013, 07:33 PM

**** it! I just buy king and decide I won't buy any another games until I have cleared some from my endless backlog. That won't work but thanks god I am really good at lying to myself.The "clearing out the backlog" idea sounds great, and is exactly what I plan to do(college in the fall will also prevent me from buying a bunch of games.)

If you can afford it without it putting you in a bad spot, King is an immense value. Not including all the exclusive singles, you'll be getting 4 decks, another exclusive deck, 150 packs, and all of the stretch goal packs/cards.