PDA

View Full Version : Update #29 - The Final Countdown (and stretch goal)

Daer
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/502428

Paypal is at $179,685

HEX CON

Dungeon Crawler:

On a livestream interview yesterday, riding a sugar high from birthday cake and Coca Cola, Cory misspoke about the Dungeon Crawler allowing for an additional loot roll on Raid Bosses. Dungeon Crawler only works in dungeons. When asked for comment, Cory Jones was quoted as saying, "Sorry, I blew it."

Twitch Live countdown tomorrow:

Tomorrow, at 10:30 AM PDT, you can join us for a live Twitch TV countdown! We'll bring in members from the HEX team to talk about the project, the Kickstarter's success, and celebrate with all of you, our new HEX family. See you tomorrow for punch and pie. No cake

Stok3d
06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Vegas baby, Vegas!

Smart move on the stretch too. It's a very lofty goal to hit for the last 24hours. If we don't meet it then it's showing that we're not missing out on any potential game development. All the while it's still promoting a HexCon and getting the hype starting with it.

As an added bonus, this could be the location of Kyle wrestling the bear. I wonder what the odds will be of a limb being removed in the first round?

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Vegas HEX convention?

Make. It. Happen.

Madican
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd never make it to that con.

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
If that is not the most useless stretch goal I've ever seen...Hey, it's not like they have a significant playerbase in Europe or Asia or anything. See the "IRL exclusives for a digital game that I play because it's digital and doesn't rely on physical proximity" thread to see a lot of opinions on this self-defeating sort of action. If you want to throw a party, throw a party, but don't do it when that money should go towards improving the product we're trying to get made here :/

Lochar
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I am officially impressed.

Now, where to find enough money for a ticket to Vegas.

Indormi
Do not like the streach goal, being able to attend will cost me 3-4 times the amount I pledged for the game...

OmarEpps
I will be at THAT con. HELL YEAH.

Coleyra
06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I totally agree with Swordmage...
I don't care about a free invite for an event 2000$ away from my home...

Lochar
Also, for people that already are complaining (and will come in here to do so), if there was no HexCon, they'd just show up at a different Con instead.

nearlysober
Do not like the streach goal, being able to attend will cost me 3-4 times the amount I pledged for the game...

But it's in Vegas so you can just win all that money back.
I'm sure they'll do digital streams like Blizzcon does.

Also, for people that already are complaining (and will come in here to do so), if there was no HexCon, they'd just show up at a different Con instead. They'll still come to other cons like PAX.

I know this doesn't work for everyone... but it'll be huge for building a community and sustaining this game year over year. Think big picture people. Start saving up for HEXcon 2014 now.

jai151
06-06-2013, 12:09 PM
If that is not the most useless stretch goal I've ever seen...Hey, it's not like they have a significant playerbase in Europe or Asia or anything. See the "IRL exclusives for a digital game that I play because it's digital and doesn't rely on physical proximity" thread to see a lot of opinions on this self-defeating sort of action. If you want to throw a party, throw a party, but don't do it when that money should go towards improving the product we're trying to get made here :/

Oh come off it. They already said none of the final three stretch goals were going to be in game because they just simply don't have time to put anything more in before launch. And yes, all kickstarter money IS going into improving the game, these goals are going to be future date with CZE money (May come from Hex profits as well as other sources).

And it's really hard for a company based in Irvine to host cons all over the world. Vegas has a wonderful international airport.

Ben
Well that completely sucks for anyone not living in America, but fine.

Coleyra

400K$ for a digital stream...

Dragkin
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I rather like the idea of Hexcon actually. I see it as a place where they can have a large tournament, maybe a con-exclusive raid that players can challenge and stuff like that. Maybe contests where the prize could be to develop a card and such. It could be lots of fun actually, and its done well for Blizzard and even Sony.

Deadpool319
Oh come off it. They already said none of the final three stretch goals were going to be in game because they just simply don't have time to put anything more in before launch. And yes, all kickstarter money IS going into improving the game, these goals are going to be future date with CZE money (May come from Hex profits as well as other sources).

And it's really hard for a company based in Irvine to host cons all over the world. Vegas has a wonderful international airport.

+1

Willzyx
So... there will not be a Hex Con if we don't hit 2.5m?

Honestly, I like the idea of a Con, even if I'll never be able to attend. But I think it's a silly stretch goal. And we probably won't hit 2.5m anyway.

Indormi
06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I really hope that will be the case and that any goodies shall be mailed/ get a code for... (paying for the mail is ok, paying 2k $ to attend in person is not)

Gwaer
Blizzard has a huge player base all over the world, but no one ever said blizzcon is a bad idea. It's great for everyone, even the people that won't make it. There can be streams, and tournaments, and all sorts of spoilery things that everyone gets to partake in.

Lochar

Honestly, I like the idea of a Con, even if I'll never be able to attend. But I think it's a silly stretch goal. And we probably won't hit 2.5m anyway.

No, from my reading there will be a HexCon regardless. Making the stretch goal gets all backers in for free to it, and King+ an extra, early, day to get all the goodies first. :P

Madican
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
If they do free stream tickets for those unable to attend then that would be great.

shadealpha
Oh man, I would love to go to that con. Its not likely I will be able to though, as it would cost a small fortune for me to go to Las Vegas :(
But I really like the idea.

caffn8d
"No, that's no joke.. you're wrestling a bear." LOL!

Can't please all the people all the time... but I think the idea of HexCon is f'ing awesome.

Lochar
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
They should make Kyle wrestling a bear a Con highlight. Every year.

Willzyx
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Well, no free entry for backers, looks like. $255k in the last 23 hours is insanely unlikely.

Coleyra
"No, that's no joke.. you're wrestling a bear." LOL!

Can't please all the people all the time... but I think the idea of HexCon is f'ing awesome.
Replace Las Vegas by London, do you still think this HexCon thing is awesome ?

The ultimate strech goal for a digital TCG is a physical rendez vous where most of the people can't reach ?

Refugee
Yeah I dunno... As an American great for me. But I feel pretty bad for any non-Americans. I'm fine with the stretch goal being Hexcon, I'm just less fine with the reward being free admission since lots of people will have no possibility of utilizing that. I really think the reward should be something everyone (of whatever appropriate tier) can use regardless of geographical location (thus probably something in game).

Gen91
At least some goodies would have been great for last goal.
Sucks for nearly all non Americans.
Thought about adding a King, but after that.

Also they don't seem to want my money,
first wrong email adress for PayPal changes,
now no answer,
anyone else wating for an answer on lisa.villaire@cryptozoic.com?

Barov
06-06-2013, 12:15 PM

My guess is the money from the goal will influence how far down the line they have a convention. If the goal is not hit then there is still the chance of having a con in a couple years if the game gets bigger.

Kroan
Meh. I live in europe. It would've been nice to at least get some kind of confirmation that there is going to be a live stream (and digital goodies) for people not able to travel there :(

Erebus
A Con also offers other things besides just a fun festivel for people to go to.

It's Publicity, Community Building, and enabling Transparency (i.e. developer panels, etc.)

caffn8d
Replace Las Vegas with "Random Location X" and I'd still be fine with it. I'm not adverse to vacation planning. :)

Rieper
06-06-2013, 12:16 PM
What i said in the comments
"a con? As someone that live in europe, that is worst stretch goal i ever seen. it more or less excludes anybody that lives far away or doesn´t have much money. Done so good with mostly stuff that everybody could use (Other then maybe that dinner, but that stretch still had other stuff!)

Gues my reason for keep looking at at amount going up for seeing stretch goals, is now over. Ofc not, like it will make me look less forward to the game, but that still a dissappointing way to end it."

Still looking forward to game, but the ride of keeping track of amount going up for stretch goals is now over.

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I didn't say I meant "Add in 30 Raids!" as a stretch goal. They can and SHOULD go to other cons. Other. Cons. That we aren't paying the organization of.

This does nothing to benefit a significant percentage of the backers. That's my complaint. They could have upped the set 2 an 3 boosters by a few packs each. I would back extra. They could create another wacky Chest of Hex style card. I would back that. They could add in a new set of sleeves. I would back that too. But a con? That most people can't go to? I mean, let me put it like this. EVEN IF they had a con in Paris that I could go to, I wouldn't, because I don't have the time to schlep around in person. My job means I don't get that kind of time off. Which is why I'm excited that this was so digitally focused.

I just think that the final stretch goal ignores too many backers and won't particularly draw in new backers going for that final awesome thing. Look at Project Eternity or Tides of Numenara's player stronghold. That got everyone in a frenzy. Why do a goal where there is such a risk of a huge collective "Meh", even among those who COULD attend?

Edit: Seriously? What would make me happy? Create a "HEXCON" deck sleeve with that admittedly cool looking logo and give it to everyone. Just some show that this is...you know...a digital thing.

Tathel
06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
In Canada, don't think i'll be able to make it out to vegas if the con is any time in the next few years.

Have a pile of friends getting married and that is taking most of my vacation money/time, and then I'm also getting married >_<

unless.... 'hun, how about we head to vegas for a romantic shot gun wedding instead' *spends 3 days at a TCG convention*

That being said, it's still a pretty cool thing and would def raise the game profile. With a lot of the higher tiers starting to sell out i'm not sure we will make 2.5 though.

And as cool as it is I maybe would rather see the money be reinvested in the game, or maybe used to fund a Hex table top rpg *wow my topic on that died fast*

Madican
06-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Best info is the clarification of DC tier.

Verdant
06-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Meh. I live in europe. It would've been nice to at least get some kind of confirmation that there is going to be a live stream (and digital goodies) for people not able to travel there :(
Directly from update comments: "...we will provide online coverage of the event".

HEX Con is a good step for advertising the game to gaming masses. I certainly won't be here, but this stretch seems logical for out-of-game-features curve. After all, tablet support and lore also weren't for everyone. It's pretty much the same thing.

tgm0112
06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
You can't please everyone and no matter what you say, the largest portion of their player base is in the United States. Moreover, Vegas as a destination has the cheapest flight and hotel prices in the nation.

They're trying to do something exciting for fans and there will still probably be plenty of reveals and neat panels (as well as an undoubtedly free stream) for backers who can't/won't come.

Kroan
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Directly from update comments: "...we will provide online coverage of the event".
Online coverage is not a confirmation of a live stream unfortunately. Online coverage is "articles n stuff" in my book.

and no matter what you say, the largest portion of their player base is in the United States.
Source? I think you're just making up facts right now.

Blowfeld
06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, the final stretch goal ain't that intersting for me, as I most likely won't fly around the globe to visit it, but I would be glad for everybody, who would most likely attend.

Pressing both thumbs for the con, hopefully it has some nice streams for the rest of the world.

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
You can't please everyone and no matter what you say, the largest portion of their player base is in the United States. Moreover, Vegas as a destination has the cheapest flight and hotel prices in the nation.

They're trying to do something exciting for fans and there will still probably be plenty of reveals and neat panels (as well as an undoubtedly free stream) for backers who can't/won't come.

But why should we pay extra for them to reveal the info in a nice hotel somewhere when they would reveal it anyway as it's in their interest to do so from a marketing standpoint? This is pretty much buying them a paid business trip to Vegas.

Rieper
06-06-2013, 12:24 PM
@tgm0112:
Ofc you can please every one with a digital game. Small amount booster for stretch, that was pleasing everyone, alpha was pleasing everyone and so on. This one should be something that should come by itself when hex had big enough succes!

BohemianStalker
06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Online coverage is not a confirmation of a live stream unfortunately. Online coverage is "articles n stuff" in my book.

Source? I think you're just making up facts right now.

Yeah he is making up facts.

And personally I hate that last stretch goal. Goals should apply to you based on amount of peldged/ or simply pledge. Not based on geographic location.

incitfulmonk21
Yayyy people complaining that a goal wasn't strictly catered to them. If only people could step back from looking at something only for its benefit to them and see that benefiting a community even if only a small portion also benefits them.

I go to Iceland every year for CCP's Eve convention and I live no where close to it. Most people don't attend it but it is great for community building and everyone benefits from it even if its only getting the dev's to listen to some of the communities concern.

It is easy for a dev to ignore a forumn post a whole lot harder to ignore a question asked in front of 100's of people. Hex con will be great. I doubt I will go but I know at least that for the community as a whole a physical dev/community interaction will be awesome.

Last thing if you watched the thank you Kyle has to wrestle a bear per orders :).

Daer
But why should we pay extra for them to reveal the info in a nice hotel somewhere when they would reveal it anyway as it's in their interest to do so from a marketing standpoint? This is pretty much buying them a paid business trip to Vegas.

You seem like a fun guy.

ramseytheory
I also live in Europe, but I think Hex Con is an excellent idea since it will help build the player base. It would be nice if I could trade my not-realistically-happening Friday attendance rights for something else, though.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Replace Las Vegas by London, do you still think this HexCon thing is awesome ?

The ultimate strech goal for a digital TCG is a physical rendez vous where most of the people can't reach ? I had a lot of fun last time I was in London, but generally speaking I wouldn't fly there for a quick weekend getaway... but if I had a year to plan, something like this may spur me to take a longer vacation to Europe, stopping by London to hit up the Con.

Even if I couldn't make it, I would still recognize the value in it existing and hopefully it contributing to the fact that the game I will be enjoying daily will not just survive, but thrive.

Swordmage
I also live in Europe, but I think Hex Con is an excellent idea since it will help build the player base. It would be nice if I could trade my not-realistically-happening Friday attendance rights for something else, though.

That one. Let me sell my 'ticket' to the event and I'll be behind it 100%. Or just have them print of actual tickets and mail it to the backers and I'll put it on my wall :P It's just that effectively, so many will get nothing from this.

Cons do more for existing player bases than growing players bases. Turn this stretch goal into a marketing blitz instead. You'll grow more than a con's worth of people.

Refugee
Honest question: to the people saying HexCon would help build the player base. How does that work? I very much doubt many people who don't already play Hex would attend the convention.

Obviously Hex being present at general gaming conventions (Pax, Gencon etc.) builds the player base as it exposes people who are likely to be interested in the game to the game, but I don't see how a Hex specific con does much for the player base.

Lochar
Although I am sad that the free pass is only for the first con, not for life. :(

drachenfells
Im in the uk and sure i would have liked something a little more global for the last goal.
But with the amount of things we have been given on top of the mass of things in the original tiers, i cant complain.
And i also realise how great for publicity and community a con can be.
Just let us have a free live stream if your going to have bear fighting.

Ben
06-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Seeing how they will provide coverage for the event, I like the idea.

jai151
06-06-2013, 12:31 PM

We're not paying extra for the con. The kickstarter funds are not going towards the con.

Schweinebub
06-06-2013, 12:31 PM
The con would happen anyway. All you get is free access to it.

If only somebody could invent a way for the people who can't go to sell their free access pass to people who want to go at a reduced price.

But no, that is of course absolutely impossible, so we should all get really mad about this free thing they're giving us. Boo free stuff, boo!

Soulcode
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I am disappointed :( They say "Fans first" but it kinda feels like they mean "Americans first"

Kami
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Haha, I just noticed it costs me $40 for one t-shirt after shipping.

Was planning to buy one but that's just so not worth it.

Keznath
06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Personnaly, the last stretch goal is disapointing...

I'm not a King baker, and above all i'm living in France so the Con in Vegas....

Too bad, i was expecting something more spectacular...

shadealpha
I like the last goal. I won't be able to go as I live in Denmark, but I think it will be a great way to spread the word about the game and hopefully make even more people play it.

Swordmage
The con would happen anyway. All you get is free access to it.

If only somebody could invent a way for the people who can't go to sell their free access pass to people who want to go at a reduced price.

But no, that is of course absolutely impossible, so we should all get really mad about this free thing they're giving us. Boo free stuff, boo!

If only they had confirmed that that was possible...If only...but no, that hasn't happened yet. Boo!

Madican
They're based in California. Moving too far away from that base for an event would incur an astronomical cost. Ask Blizzard why Blizzcon is always in the same place.

FireSummoner
06-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I just think it's funny how the two legendary stretch goals really haven't gone over great with everyone. I live in the US, but I don't think I would have the time or money to go to a Con. I do think the Con sounds cool, but much like the tablet support, it doesn't really seem relevant to most backers.

OysterPrime
06-06-2013, 12:36 PM
They're based in California. Moving too far away from that base for an event would incur an astronomical cost. Ask Blizzard why Blizzcon is always in the same place. I was about to say this. Even though people argue that BlizzCon is great publicity for Blizzard and their games, they actually lose money when they do BlizzCon. I can see where people are coming from that would have preferred a different stretch goal, but asking for the con to be somewhere else is a little too much to ask. If Blizzard can't do it, nobody can.

I just think it's funny how the two legendary stretch goals really haven't gone over great with everyone. I live in the US, but I don't think I would have the time or money to go to a Con. I do think the Con sounds cool, but much like the tablet support, it doesn't really seem relevant to most backers. I really don't know what people were expecting with the legendary stretch goals. Cory basically said that we wouldn't be getting any more bonuses for the game(which I'm fine with, considering how much we're getting as it is.)

Tathel
06-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Haha, I just noticed it costs me $40 for one t-shirt after shipping.

Was planning to buy one but that's just so not worth it.

Yeah serious, shipping has gotten nuts lately :(. A lot of times us->canada shipping is just being lumped with international even though it's a fraction of the cost. It's why i've back very few physical item kickstarters, will usually just go in at PDF level for gaming books, not cause i don't want physical but because with shipping it becomes outrageous

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I just think it's funny how the two legendary stretch goals really haven't gone over great with everyone. I live in the US, but I don't think I would have the time or money to go to a Con. I do think the Con sounds cool, but much like the tablet support, it doesn't really seem relevant to most backers.

I wasn't thrilled about the tablet support either. I thought long term, though, and I know I'm going to be getting one before long for my job, and I thought it would be great for the future. A lot of people, myself included, probably won't saddle up for HexCon 2015 and 2016 though. I'm only excited about the tablet support because I know that tablets are increasingly becoming kind of inevitable.

Madican
06-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I still want to know who the writer is. Damn contracts need to be signed!

incitfulmonk21
06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Honest question: to the people saying HexCon would help build the player base. How does that work? I very much doubt many people who don't already play Hex would attend the convention.

We are talking about blizzcon in a hex thread. Any con will have word of mouth travel outside of those who play that particular game. Remember any press about anything Hex does is bound to reach one person whom either never heard of the game, never tried it, or tried it but quit its two years later they see some hex con stuff and come back. or even forget about it are reminded it exist and try/retry it.

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
For me the only good thing about that stretch goal is that I wont care if we dont reach it >_>. I am sure its gonna be fun for those involved but having a final stretch goal that probably is only gonna benefit ~5-10% (and i think I am being generous here) of the backers isnt really inspiring.

And watching a stream from europe is also pretty meh.

Its a shame they really hit it off with most of the stretch goals, just ... not with the final one.

FireSummoner
06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I wasn't thrilled about the tablet support either. I thought long term, though, and I know I'm going to be getting one before long for my job, and I thought it would be great for the future. A lot of people, myself included, probably won't saddle up for HexCon 2015 and 2016 though. I'm only excited about the tablet support because I know that tablets are increasingly becoming kind of inevitable.
I think I am one of the few people who hate tablets. Give me a decent laptop(and mouse) any day. If we had to copy things from Star Trek why are we not doing holodecks or replicators yet?

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I think I am one of the few people who hate tablets. Give me a decent laptop(and mouse) any day. If we had to copy things from Star Trek why are we not doing holodecks or replicators yet?

Because the world isn't ready for the apocalypse caused from massive work stoppages due to neverending borking Orion slave girls in a holodeck all day long?

Tathel

First season TNG is hilarious, there are scenes where they have a bunch of data pads, as if they couldn't just access all data on 1, they need 1 data pad for each report.

jai151

Occulus Rift and 3D printers are a first step towards those.

benczi
Total disappointment. What's the point of a live event for a digital game?, and half the player base can't even attend it. This sucks sooo much, it's like a giant fuck you Europeans, fuck you asians, fuck you astralians. We are going to make an amazing event, give away a shitload of exclusive cards to our backer that live close to las vegas, and you can just suck it.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
You know you don't exactly have to charter a steam boat these days to cross the oceans these days...

Rieper
06-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Ok wish people would stop comparing to blizzcon. Blizzard is one top game companies, with huge fanbase that also works well with casuel. They have tons of game for tournements stuff, tons of game that needs new content which means they can make tons of panels, they having amazing bands that makes ticket more or less worth it by itself.

Hex won´t be able to come close to that in every point. Maybe with enough succes they can get up there on a end concert, but if they had that much succes anyway, there would ofc been a hexcon anyway and no backer would be unhappy

DarkSeverance
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Replace Las Vegas by London, do you still think this HexCon thing is awesome ?HexCon is still an awesome thing no matter where it is, even if someone can't attend. Just like any TCG like Magic or WoW TCG they play for prizes that usually cover partial if not all the costs for attending. There might even be prizes for existing tournaments to win travel vouchers to the event.

However it is more expensive for me to travel to London than it would be for me to travel from London to Las Vegas. But even if it was London I still would think it would be awesome.

Indormi
You know you don't exactly have to charter a steam boat these days to cross the oceans these days...

Charter a steam boat may be cheaper than flying at this point...

incitfulmonk21
Total disappointment. What's the point of a live event for a digital game?, and half the player base can't even attend it. This sucks sooo much, it's like a giant fuck you Europeans, fuck you asians, fuck you astralians. We are going to make an amazing event, give away a shitload of exclusive cards to our backer that live close to las vegas, and you can just suck it.

If only you had read some of the posts before your's you would have seen how it A) benefits you if you don't attend B) Can attend the event digitally as it will be broadcast C) Benefit if Either A or B does not apply to you.

But I understand, why read and be informed when you can just rant.

Tathel
06-06-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm kinda thinking they were gonna take a company vegas trip or something and decided to turn it into a con ^_^. I'm sure they aren't expecting thousands or even hundreds...

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM
So who would have been fine with "HEXCON virtual convention!" as the final stretch goal? With streaming interviews and game play, maybe some "live" entertainment, and the ability to chat with the devs?

Warning: this is a trap.

Tathel
06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
So who would have been fine with "HEXCON virtual convention!" as the final stretch goal? With streaming interviews and game play, maybe some "live" entertainment, and the ability to chat with the devs?

Warning: this is a trap.

Only a trap if the confirm streaming and not just reports about what's happening...

larryhl
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
They already have confirmed streaming...read the comments under the update on Kickstarter...

Kroan
06-06-2013, 12:57 PM
For those afraid to miss out on goodies from the comment page:

Backers, we haven't said anything about exclusive in-game cards available to people only attending the event. HEX Con is just a basic framework plan for an event. Anything specific would be yet-to-be-determined and as I think you've seen with the general way we're structuring the game to allow trades, earning cards for free, multiple characters on an account, etc... you can trust us that we're not just going to jam-up a bunch of our Kickstarter backers.

Tathel
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
They already have confirmed streaming...read the comments under the update on Kickstarter...

only said 'coverage' as far as i can see... nothing about streaming.

Daer
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/H5qjTUY.gif

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
It's a trap because all that has to be hosted/handled somewhere. So even if this was primarily going to be a virtual event, the folks near where it's happening might as well be able to attend and infuse the folks doing it with some live person-to-person energy, yeah? Like a studio audience type deal? Look, I admit I think the idea of going and having drinks with a bunch of HEXified type folks is awesome, but if it doesn't work out that I can go I'm still going to have a blast watching from the comfort of my couch with beer in hand.

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
they already jam-ed up most non-us backer

and really a livestream is more like breadcrumbs (and lets not take into account different timezones).

The final stretch goal should have been something that benefited and inspired all for a last big run. I would have been fine with it on any other tier. But as the last one? blegh

Tathel
06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
It's a trap because all that has to be hosted/handled somewhere. So even if this was primarily going to be a virtual event, the folks near where it's happening might as well be able to attend and infuse the folks doing it with some live person-to-person energy, yeah? Like a studio audience type deal? Look, I admit I think the idea of going and having drinks with a bunch of HEXified type folks is awesome, but if it doesn't work out that I can go I'm still going to have a blast watching from the comfort of my couch with beer in hand.

I agree totally, but all they've said is coverage and it doesn't even sound like they have venue specifics worked out. And that's a heavy determiner for something like streaming. So my guess is they don't even know if they'll be able to stream it yet.

Otherwise they likely would have announced a livestreamed convention because they honestly had to have seen people being annoyed at not being able to make it to vegas as the only element to the last big stretch....

That being said i honestly feel they gave us enough already so I'm not really complaining that I should get something more, or that they should be forced to do something to benefit me because they were nice enough to give me something i probably won't use.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Also... everyone should chill out a bit as it's very very likely that we will not hit this goal. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do.

But with nearly all the top tiers sold out, it would require a simply staggering influx of players.

I hope that even if it doesn't get hit... that within a year or two of the game being successful we will have a HEXcon anyway.

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Personally? I think the tiers themselves were absolutely *ridiculously* generous before any of the stretch goals. Maybe you disagree. If you truly feel betrayed, I would strongly suggest pulling out of backing the KS. There are plenty of places you can spend money and then maybe you will feel you get better value.

larryhl
06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I hope that even if it doesn't get hit... that within a year or two of the game being successful we will have a HEXcon anyway.

You will. They wouldn't announce a Hex Con if they weren't already making plans for one.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I just can't believe that Cory didn't call everyone in the world personally and get them to agree on the location. It's pretty insulting!

</sarcasm>

Trothael
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I just can't believe that Cory didn't call everyone in the world personally and get them to agree on the location. It's pretty insulting!

</sarcasm>

We do have his phone number. We could call him.

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Personally? I think the tiers themselves were absolutely *ridiculously* generous before any of the stretch goals. Maybe you disagree. If you truly feel betrayed, I would strongly suggest pulling out of backing the KS. There are plenty of places you can spend money and then maybe you will feel you get better value.

They were indeed generous with previous goals, but as a final stretch goal its disappointing. This will only motivate a very few to up pledges etc.. for the last goal. They'd have been better off if they had switched some stretchgoals and offered this con at an earlier point. I assure there would have been far less whining.

shadealpha
Maybe, if the game becomes a huge success, there will one day be a HexCon europe. Worst case, we can have a HexCon europe in my apartment. It will have to be very exclusive though, as I only have room for about 15 people or so :)

Noreilles
I am a bit disappointed in this goal, BUT there is a bright side to it: since it's in Vegas, the gambling capital of the US, no state law will prohibit them from having a cash prizes tournament there!

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
They already announced that some tournaments, particularly "Worlds" would be an in person event to ensure connection/quality/security of the game.

If this game is successful, I bet we could see some international "national qualifiers" in person. And why not combine the national qualifiers with a version of the convention to draw in more participants since the vast majority of us will not qualify :)

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Maybe, if the game becomes a huge success, there will one day be a HexCon europe. Worst case, we can have a HexCon europe in my apartment. It will have to be very exclusive though, as I only have room for about 15 people or so :)

Let me know when it's going down, and I'm in. :) Seems like a great excuse for me to catch a flight to Europe and meet some folks I have gaming in common with!

Madican
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
They already announced that some tournaments, particularly "Worlds" would be an in person event to ensure connection/quality/security of the game.

If this game is successful, I bet we could see some international "national qualifiers" in person. And why not combine the national qualifiers with a version of the convention to draw in more participants since the vast majority of us will not qualify :)

Where was this stated? Hopefully they'd help the people who qualified for Worlds to get to the location if it's true.

Grauwart
06-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Hex Con sounds cool, but is just an anticlimax, for: lets get everyone together for support.
So good Idea, bad place to (kind of) announce.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Where was this stated? Hopefully they'd help the people who qualified for Worlds to get to the location if it's true. I dont recall exactly... so many interviews and releases. But they mentioned that the will have "mobile servers" to be able to host critical tournaments in real life to ensure the integrity, as well as for promotional tournaments at cons.

benczi
06-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Also... everyone should chill out a bit as it's very very likely that we will not hit this goal. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do.

But with nearly all the top tiers sold out, it would require a simply staggering influx of players.

Yes, you guys are right. This stretch goal will not be achieved. And why you ask, well precisely because it's such a bad goal, that hardly anyone would want to push for it.

And yes, the tiers them selves are generous, well, they were, before they sold out anyway, but the whole idea of a stretch goal is to get people excited, more people excited, the current backers, their friends, other people, etc. It's not about feeling betrayed, it's about having no incentive to achieve this goal. No reason to push for it. Thus the disappointment. And if we current backers are not super excited tomorrow, do you think our friends who are undecided will happily jump in after hearing about HexCon? Do you?

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 02:40 PM
do you think our friends who are undecided will happily jump in after hearing about HexCon? Do you? If you have any friends who were undecided and were waiting on the final stretch goal to decide if this game was for them or not... then your friends make terrible life choices and you should probably get new ones.

I pledged Grand King on day two.
You know what the stretch goal was on day two? EXISTENCE.

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm from Europe, I've been concerned about CZE ignoring the non-US playerbase but I have to agree a HEXCon is a great thing for advertisement, as long as we have stream that gives the same digital perks as attendees, that'd be awesome.

I've asked my GF if she wanted to go to vegas and she answered "F*** You, I've been asking you to go to NYC for 2 years and now you wanna go to Vegas for your stupid game" :D

Game + Community growth is great!

~

Coleyra
06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
They don't care about it, but they lost my pledge with this last strech goal.

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM

It won't be reached anyway and if the game was worth your pledge, adding something you don't care about doesn't make the earlier stuff less good, does it?

~

Daer
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM

lol

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 03:04 PM
So yesterday, this game was worth backing.
Today, something was added that doesn't apply to you, and now it is not?

You sir, make excellent financial decisions.

larryhl
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I've asked my GF if she wanted to go to vegas and she answered "F*** You, I've been asking you to go to NYC for 2 years and now you wanna go to Vegas for your stupid game" :D

I lol'ed. My gf would say pretty much the same thing if I asked if she wanted to go to Vegas. Except that she also wants to go to Vegas, just not for a game convention xD

Coleyra
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
So yesterday, this game was worth backing.
Today, something was added that doesn't apply to you, and now it is not?

You sir, make excellent financial decisions.
Yesterday was worth saying : "I will give money to you if all is going well."
Today is : "Sorry, i don't give my money for people thinking an ultimate strech goal is a Con excluding a lot of people."

jai151
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Today is : "Sorry, i don't give my money for people thinking an ultimate strech goal is a Con excluding a lot of people."

The ultimate stretch goal was tablet support. These are bonus goodies.

Bottom line is if you're using this as an excuse not to back, you were never planning to in the first place.

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
The ultimate stretch goal was tablet support. These are bonus goodies.

I don't get how people aren't understanding this.

IndigoShade
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
The amount of goodies we're getting for our money is already absurd. I seriously hope the people that ragequit the HEX KS :rolleyes: come back to play the game in a year and say "WTF was I thinking backing out on my KS pledge?".

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Today is : "Sorry, i don't give my money for people thinking an ultimate strech goal is a Con excluding a lot of people." Then didn't exclude you. In fact they're gonna let you in for free.

You excluded you.

Tinuvas
06-06-2013, 03:41 PM
I can't help but think that it is not expected that we achieve this goal. Even with a substantial upsurge in pledges, <24 hours is just not enough time for the revenue left. So why would Crypto give us a goal that truly is more ideal than stretch goal?

1. To give us an idea we may not have thought about and see what we think.
2. To show us what they have in store so we can be more confident that they are serious about making this game a true contender.
3. To create a solid platform for bear wrestling.
4. ??

I don't know all of their thinking, but I trust that Cory wants what's best for this game, and by extension this community. I do find it amusing that there are those who want details about the broadcast for a possible convention put on by a company with an unfinished KS for a game that isn't even released yet. A little cart-before-horse perhaps?

MacPhal
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Wow I think both sides need to take a step back here.

A yes its great to have a HexCon. It will help grow the game and fans excess to the dev's face to face.

But yes it does suck for people who can not make it. (Which there will be lots of Americians as well as Euro/Asia/Aussie/Can) And having some of it streamed does not fully make up for this. It does not add any value for people that can not make it to the Con.

As a whole it is one of the best kickstarters I've seen. But it's clear that they did not think they would get this type of support. So the for that last few tiers there is less thought put in it. And people that are able to go to the Con should concede that this is no reason for people that all ready given money to give more money.

What I believe Cryptozoic should of done was to say there would be special online events for people that can't go to the Con can take part in. Yes there would be a fee to enter these events, but if you KS'ed the game you get in them for free. And in these events you can get Con only cards and the like.

This way you would get more support from all members of the Hex world!

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I still vote for sacrificial HexCon deck sleeves. It's a neat logo, it's a digital fluff thing that wouldn't delay the game and go to everyone, and it would feel like everyone got something. I'll probably buy the book, because I read a lot. The Alpha access was cool on the side. I probably won't read the bestiawhoosawhatsit that interested me so little that I can't even remember it. The packs were neat on the side. I won't be able to attend HexCon...and the tumbleweeds blow by in the silence on the side.

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
See that update? THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout. There's no way they won't have some sort of goodies for this convention, these goodies are going to everyone, thus everyone gets something and onwards to the goal.

IndigoShade
06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
"We've taken in a lot of your feedback. Should we reach the next stretch goal and HEX Con happens, all promotional cards, sleeves, mercenaries and the like will be deposited into each Kickstarter backer's HEX account. We want to assure you that everybody will be able to gear-up and sleeve all the goodies from this campaign whether or not they will be able to attend. So, should we hit the 2.5 million dollar Stretch Goal, you'll be receiving a lovely care package courtesy of your friends here at Cryptozoic with lots of goodies."

Now quit yer belly achin'!
EDIT: and go spend more money!!!

incitfulmonk21
06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah update 30 should make everyone much happier.

Daer
06-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm glad Coleyra can pledge again. Game just wouldn't have been the same without him.