PDA

View Full Version : Hex Con Facts

Madican
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
FACT 1: Hex Con was already in Crypto's plans. All the Kickstarter goals have been is moving up pre-existing features the game was going to have eventually.

FACT 2: Crypto is not exempt from matters of money. Some people complain about how much it would cost them to get to the US, but they ignore how much it would cost Crypto to get themselves, their equipment, their guests, and everything else a con has to a long-distance country.

FACT 3: Crypto chose Las Vegas as the location because it's close, easy to get to, and has good venues for a convention. They did not choose it because they hate all foreigners and want to exclude them. Seriously, you're not a baby, it's not all about you.

FACT 4: Crypto has done right by us this entire Kickstarter. They've given us far more than what they've had to take and every single one of their decisions has been backed up by logical thought. Hex Con is no exception.

Joolz
06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Did they ever say anything about a Hexcon before? Maybe I missed it but otherwise I wouldn't call that a fact. Though I agree it's likely to happen at some point whether or not the stretch goal is met.

larryhl
06-06-2013, 01:17 PM
They would never announce a Hex Con stretch goal if this wasn't something already being planned. Otherwise, if the stretch goal isn't reached and the whole thing falls through, it's just a whole lot of buzz for nothing and a wasted marketing effort.

If they really aren't doing Hex Con if the stretch goal isn't reached, they need to fire their marketing manager.

Sergan
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Many people here just think in "how much i can get?" and no see the big picture.
Never see before a game community so greedy. =/
Im live in Chile, cant go to HexCon but im happy to see a game event.

stiii
06-06-2013, 01:19 PM
FACT: putting FACT doesn't make something a FACT.

Other stretch goals encouraged everyone to donate. This one pretty much just encourages people in America.

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Many people here just think in "how much i can get?" and no see the big picture.

The vast majority of folks in this community thus far are pretty awesome on the whole. Don't let a few dissenting voices get you down. :)

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Fact 1: Why make it as the last stretch goal and not earlier? I assure you a lot less people would have complained. A final goal that benefits only a small percentage is badly thought out.

Fact 2: We are well aware that they dont hate foreigners, with the last stretch goal they pretty much announed they dont care much about us anyways.

Fact 3: Doing great during your entire performance but ending it with a faceplant still leaves a bad impression. This is basic Marketing

Fact 4: We all love Facts.

CoolGrayAJ
06-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Other stretch goals encouraged everyone to donate. This one pretty much just encourages people in America.

FACT: I love Stuart Wright.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
FACT 4: Crypto has done right by us this entire Kickstarter. Everyone should just focus on this. Give them a little trust.

I know we're all emotionally & financially invested in this... but give CZE some faith. If you haven't yet watch the twitch.tv "WeekInGeek" interview from yesterday... its nearly 2 hours long but more than any other interview I think Cory's dedicated to "do right" by this game comes through in large volumes

Kroan
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
FACT: This topic should have been called "Hex Con Opinion's and Assumptions" :P

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 01:42 PM
FACT: I am not wearing pants.

ASSUMPTION: 38% of women reading this will find that FACT sexy.

OPINION: Waffles are delicious.

Thrawn
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
FACT: Too many threads exist about this already and you just made it worse without adding anything new or useful.

KnowingCrow
06-06-2013, 02:00 PM
'Merica.

ForgedSol
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
This stretch goal does benefit us all even if you can't go. Just like adding lore, just like selling t-shirts. Not everyone is going to like every stretch goal, but these things help bring attention to the game, get people emotionally invested, and encourage retention of players.

Cryptozoic has said they want to make gaming at physical locations a thing. They want to have in person tournaments. This will benefit us all because it will create excitement for the games, fan sites will cover the events and the decks used, and people will see what strategies work and buy more cards and packs. Cryptozoic will not have tournaments in every country, near every person that plays the game. That's just impossible. You have to give them time to actually grow. Cryptozoic cannot do a convention in every region of the world, but it will indirectly benefit every player if they have the event.

This isn't like giving out a card with the shirts. That was in game content, for individuals. A convention is a whole different story, and is something that should be done.

funktion
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Did they ever say anything about a Hexcon before? Maybe I missed it but otherwise I wouldn't call that a fact. Though I agree it's likely to happen at some point whether or not the stretch goal is met.

It's been in the plans all along. How else do you expect cash tournaments to become a real thing? Sure they could do it at gencon or pax, which will probably also happen, but for it be a mainstage event for PR's sake having their own convention is important.

Telmon
06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi guys and girls! Telmon Lima from Brazil here.

I like HEX Con! Its very hard, for me, travel to USA (my job wont allow me easily). But... if Crypto run some live stream and videos, this will make me happy too. Because I think this way: if a Hex Con starts in Vegas, why not a World Hex Con 2 years from now? Maybe sooner!!

Jotora
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I hope I can make it because it sounds really cool. Sadly it might be a bit too expensive of a trip to justify considering I a) traveled to Vegas just last year, b) I'm traveling a lot this year.

We'll see. Cool announcement/stretch goal either way.

Banquetto
06-06-2013, 02:29 PM

I agree but rather than "many people" I hope it is just a very noisy minority and they don't represent the community.

I'm in Australia, can't go to HexCon, and I too am happy to see a game event. I hope everyone who can make it to Vegas has an awesome time - and remember, just because you're good at Hex doesn't mean you can beat the house at Blackjack!!

nxiety
06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I agree, it's obviously pre-planned which is why I'm ok with the idea of it. For non-US backers though it kind of is a bit of a downer.

Maybe if they promise to host live streamed panels, etc, so the backers can watch it all on twitch or w/e?

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 02:36 PM
It still feels like having the ultimate legendary stretch goal be this is like finally finding an unopened pack of Urza's Saga and having Bedlam as your rare or something. First kickstarter I've ever backed where I felt utterly ambivalent about the achievement of the goal.

shiningideal
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
...here's what I don't get, every time I've been to Vegas - at least half the people I meet are from Asia or Europe. Why do people think that only Americans can go to Vegas?

stiii
06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
...here's what I don't get, every time I've been to Vegas - at least half the people I meet are from Asia or Europe. Why do people think that only Americans can go to Vegas?

Who even said this?

shiningideal
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Who even said this?

The many people complaining that this is a goal that completely excludes Europeans, Asians, Australians, etc.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
The many people complaining that this is a goal that completely excludes Europeans, Asians, Australians, etc.

It's one thing going to Vegas whilst on holiday but to go there just for a games convention is something different. I'm an Australian and there is no way I'd go for a games conference, even e3, but one day I might save up and go there whilst visiting the states.

Anyway I will just try to sell my ticket if we reach the stretch goal which doesn't seem a given anyway.

Gen91
06-06-2013, 03:02 PM

When you visit another continent you normally don't visit only one city...

stiii
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM

So if they held this event in London or Paris all the Americans would be fine with it because there are Americans in those places too?

CoolGrayAJ
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
So if they held this event in London or Paris all the Americans would be fine with it because there are Americans in those places too?

To be fair, there's probably a good number of backers from the East Coast that are gonna be unable to attend for the same reasons.

nicosharp
06-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Blizzard is their neighbor. Blizz Con is in Los Angeles. 1,000's of people go to Blizz Con from outside the US.

I mean, if CZE was in Europe, I wouldn't be partial to going there, if I could work it in to vacation plans. I also would not expect their convention to be in the United States.

I understand the argument that this is a dumb stretchgoal, because not everyone wants to stretch towards it or cares.
My argument is we have already stretched enough, and I am fine where we are. 2.5M is not something I am going to scrape at my wallet for them to achieve, although I go to Vegas often twice a year for fun.

CoolGrayAJ
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Blizzard is their neighbor. Blizz Con is in Los Angeles. 1,000's of people go to Blizz Con from outside the US.

I mean, if CZE was in Europe, I wouldn't be partial to going their, if I could work it in to vacation plans. I also would not expect their convention to be in the United States.

I understand the argument that this is a dumb stretchgoal, because not everyone wants to stretch towards it or cares.
My argument is we have already stretched enough, and I am fine where we are. 2.5M is not something I am going to scrape at my wallet for them to achieve, although I go to Vegas often twice a year for fun.

Did you ever add me on Skype? =P

nicosharp
06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Did you ever add me on Skype? =P

yup, although I've had it closed for about the last 3 days. I'll reboot Skype when I get home this evening.

stiii
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
To be fair, there's probably a good number of backers from the East Coast that are gonna be unable to attend for the same reasons.

Well yes I was mostly just calling him on the fact he took people saying this is too far away from lots of people and changed it into none from outside America ever goes to Vegas, then responding to the thing people didn't say.

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
the ultimate legendary stretch goal

Please don't go off topic, this discussion is about the HEXcon stretch goal not the tablet support stretch goal.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Actually I live in USA florida, and cannot afford thousands of dollars for a plane ticket and lodging.

But I am super excited about this convention and hope they stream it on twitch for me to watch!

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Please don't go off topic, this discussion is about the HEXcon stretch goal not the tablet support stretch goal.

You do realize that a red border doesn't really mean anything if it's a lower level stretch goal than the final one? I was referring to the disappointment of the hexcon goal. Looks like someone has been sniffing too many rarity symbols.

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
You do realize that a red border doesn't really mean anything if it's a lower level stretch goal than the final one? I was referring to the disappointment of the hexcon goal. Looks like someone has been sniffing too many rarity symbols.

Tablet support was the final stretch goal. What we're in now is the bonus round. Don't like the bonus? Well hopefully the vast amounts of other free shit they're giving you will help you cope.

hacky
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Actually I live in USA florida, and cannot afford thousands of dollars for a plane ticket and lodging.

But I am super excited about this convention and hope they stream it on twitch for me to watch!

"Thousands of dollars"? This is Vegas we're talking about. Be savvy and it won't even cost a thousand dollars for a weekend trip from Florida.

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I see you take the Final Fantasy approach to the word 'final' then!

ConnorJS
06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I love the idea of Gencon but am just worried that there will be exclusives given there than people who can't make it will miss out on

Swordmage
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
They've already said no exclusives and anything given will be available to the backers. It's just not exactly something that will push last minute undecideds to pledge after getting their reminder e-mails.

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Vegas really isn't that expensive if you live in the States and know what you're doing. If you really want to splurge, you can do so on about one or two thousand dollars. If you're willing to pass on some luxuries you can take it even lower.

Atomzed
06-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Fact 1: Why make it as the last stretch goal and not earlier? I assure you a lot less people would have complained. A final goal that benefits only a small percentage is badly thought out.

Really? I thought it was well thought out. When they announced it, it's still uncertain that we can hit the last stretch goal. Which means it may not happen at all.

I would be upset if they put Hexcon first and the book/ alpha access last. In fact if CZE is here to grab money, they would have done what you say, put Hexcon first and Alpha access last.

Right now the stretch goals which are met serve EVERYONE in the community. At every step of this campaign CZE show themselves to put the interests of the fans first. I thought their plan have been fantastic.

Gwaer
06-06-2013, 04:22 PM
The stretch goals actually aren't meant to do anything for the community. They're meant to advance the project, CZE has been very giving in that they are providing so much value to us. But that doesn't mean they have to continue to be that way.

Atomzed
06-06-2013, 04:37 PM
The stretch goals actually aren't meant to do anything for the community. They're meant to advance the project, CZE has been very giving in that they are providing so much value to us. But that doesn't mean they have to continue to be that way.

Advancing the game (project) means serving the community, IMO. Like AIDA, Keep Defence; both are features that makes the game better.

I like Hexcon because it serves as a way of making Hex a more popular game. Though I will never be able to transfer to such a convention, i still think it's a cool idea!

Gwaer
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Advancing the game (project) means serving the community, IMO. Like AIDA, Keep Defence; both are features that makes the game better.

I like Hexcon because it serves as a way of making Hex a more popular game. Though I will never be able to transfer to such a convention, i still think it's a cool idea!
Ultimately it's their decision when to allocate resources to the community as a whole or what aspects they see fit to focus on. It's not our place to dictate. If they focused entirely on community and no game, we'd all be disappointed. They have to strike the correct balance. If you're against their direction as a whole back out of your pledges. I trust them to make the right decisions for the game at large, and not just for me. I'll never make it to HexCon more than likely, but I'm behind them %100.

Talreth
06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Fact 2: We are well aware that they dont hate foreigners, with the last stretch goal they pretty much announed they dont care much about us anyways.

Yeah the tshirt poll and the posts about language translations really proved that, right?

Talreth
06-06-2013, 04:57 PM
%100.

if there is one thing you stop doing in live, it should be this.

<3

Gwaer
06-06-2013, 05:00 PM
if there is one thing you stop doing in live, it should be this.

<3

(I actually did that just for you.)

Talreth
06-06-2013, 05:02 PM
(I actually did that just for you.)

Holy shit I just realized I typed in live. lel.

Also what the fuck your post count. Get a live nerd

Gwaer
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Holy shit I just realized I typed in live. lel.

Also what the fuck your post count. Get a live nerd

You should be more helpful on the forums. Slacker.

Talreth
06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
You should be more helpful on the forums. Slacker.

The number of threads that are dupes or just plain stupid make me not want to post anything helpful, if at all.

Gwaer
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
The number of threads that are dupes or just plain stupid make me not want to post anything helpful, if at all.
I understand the sentiment there. =(

Marsden
06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
FACT 3: Crypto chose Las Vegas as the location because it's close, easy to get to, and has good venues for a convention. They did not choose it because they hate all foreigners and want to exclude them. Seriously, you're not a baby, it's not all about you.

As a foreigner, I don't feel hated. I feel like I might have an excuse to visit Las Vegas.

Madican
06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
As a foreigner, I don't feel hated. I feel like I might have an excuse to visit Las Vegas.

That one was almost entirely directed at the guy who kept screaming in several topics about how Hex Con was a big middle finger to all foreigners.

He was a lot more colorful about it though.