PDA

View Full Version : The 2.5 Mil stretch goal

MrKunle
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I've posted this as a comment but wanted to have a proper discussion on here about it.

The new stretch goal kind of gives me something to aim towards I guess. Since for quite a lot of europeans, people from the UK and others around the world going to the US for this con would be a investment even for the main demographic of this game which I would (at the risk of getting flamed or being proven wrong ^.^) say are older than me (19).

What do you guys think about the new stretch goal? i kinda of want to hear the response from the people who like me live outside the US. Also do you think we will even reach 2.5mill? I know we have only around 300k to go but that still a tall order.

Patrigan
06-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm interested. If HexCon is a huge success, we might actually expect the same in Europe some day.

It's easy to go and say "omg always Americans", but instead of whining, I personally propose getting way more europeans into this game. If the demographic is severely skewed to Europe, then they don't have much choice, right? :)

larryhl
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Seriously...think about how PAX started. PA never expected to see it leave Seattle, yet they added Boston, and Australia, and there are talks of London.

nearlysober
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
There's a lot of threads about this already...

Arbiter
06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm fine with it, and it will not really be affordable for most from Aus. It seems to make sense as a final goal and there will no doubt be streaming (and hopefully secure streaming of some of the extra day content for overseas Kings).

hacky
06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Don't forget that CZE already runs large events for WoWTCG in the US, Europe and Asia. Darkmoon Faires, Continental Championships, and World Championships. Hexcon will likely be a great event for any fan with the means to travel. And Vegas!

CoolGrayAJ
06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Seriously...think about how PAX started. PA never expected to see it leave Seattle, yet they added Boston, and Australia, and there are talks of London.

This is a bit of an oversimplification. A PAX overseas is feasible because there are plenty of game developers all over the world. Now you look at something like BlizzCon -- which has been incredibly successful in its own right -- even with a solid European playerbase, we've still yet to see a Euro BlizzCon.

MrKunle
06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm interested. If HexCon is a huge success, we might actually expect the same in Europe some day.

It's easy to go and say "omg always Americans", but instead of whining, I personally propose getting way more europeans into this game. If the demographic is severely skewed to Europe, then they don't have much choice, right? :)

Yeah at first I was disappointed but the i thought about how many people outside the US would be playing ti and your point makes absolute sense.

Also for anyone else reading this tread I haven't just thought about myself and the other backers who can't make it understand it will cost a lot for the company to hire/move/set up this con. I just think this goal could have been further down the line maybe a year into the game being live perhaps

MrKunle
06-06-2013, 01:39 PM
There's a lot of threads about this already...

sorry i wrote this when I got my email...

MrKunle
06-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm fine with it, and it will not really be affordable for most from Aus. It seems to make sense as a final goal and there will no doubt be streaming (and hopefully secure streaming of some of the extra day content for overseas Kings).

Yeah I saw the streaming idea pop up in numerous threads just now and that would be a good way to meet everyone who cant go halfway =]

Kroan
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
This is a bit of an oversimplification. A PAX overseas is feasible because there are plenty of game developers all over the world. Now you look at something like BlizzCon -- which has been incredibly successful in its own right -- even with a solid European playerbase, we've still yet to see a Euro BlizzCon. Euh. That's entirely untrue. The "European" BlizzCon is/was called Blizzard Worldwide Invitational. I actually attended one in 2008, Paris... Diablo III was announced there.

Unfortunately we only saw that once :(

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 01:42 PM
It's a great idea at a terrible point = last stretch goal

For a final goal you usually want something that is as inklusive as possible and gets the base broadly motivated. This is both important for community building (after the last day lots of people will stop following regularily until it gets released)
And as a positive sales confirmation to make the buyer feel good about their purchase when the last stretch goal is reached.
(which is also why 2,5m is so puzzling, 2,4m was not close but very reachable; because you want to avoid goals that dont get reached)

No really it makes my inner Marketing guy all upset, not so much the future HEX player.

One thing is you can see that they drafted the goal in a way that they wont be impacted if it wont be reached. The con will still happen just no free entry.

It might be it was because of that, that they thought it would make a good final stretch goal . Also that only a few would be disappointed if we didnt make it to 2,5m.

MrKunle
06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
It's a great idea at a terrible point = last stretch goal

For a final goal you usually want something that is as inklusive as possible and gets the base broadly motivated. This is both important for community building (after the last day lots of people will stop following regularily until it gets released)
And as a positive sales confirmation to make the buyer feel good about their purchase when the last stretch goal is reached.
(which is also why 2,5m is so puzzling, 2,4m was not close but very reachable; because you want to avoid goals that dont get reached)

No really it makes my inner Marketing guy all upset, not so much the future HEX player.

One thing is you can see that they drafted the goal in a way that they wont be impacted if it wont be reached. The con will still happen just no free entry.

It might be it was because of that, that they thought it would make a good final stretch goal . Also that only a few would be disappointed if we didnt make it to 2,5m.

I totally agree. I cant help but think it would have been better if they made a con after the game goes live

Mushroom_C1oud
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
In the update it says, "if you can't attend the event, you'll be able to follow along with live coverage of HEX Con." To me it sounds like if you're King tier or higher you will get free access to the streaming, probably along with the option to pick up exclusives. Same way Blizzcon had their live streaming and you could still get the exclusives and access to the Blizzcon store.

KaosSoul
06-06-2013, 02:16 PM
i hope they twitch it cause it would cost me a primal to get over there...

Lunarath
06-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Pretty disapointed about this... As a poor guy in europe there is no way i can ever travel to the USA..

MrKunle
06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
In the update it says, "if you can't attend the event, you'll be able to follow along with live coverage of HEX Con." To me it sounds like if you're King tier or higher you will get free access to the streaming, probably along with the option to pick up exclusives. Same way Blizzcon had their live streaming and you could still get the exclusives and access to the Blizzcon store.

Fingers crossed! I kind of expect a quick update tomorrow just to clarify this because of how much err conversation it has caused XD

Banquetto
06-06-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm in Australia and can't see myself at the con, but I still think it's pretty cool. I'm more excited about a con that will generate buzz and promote the game, than I am at another fistful of cards being thrown at the people who backed 10-100x as much money as I could possibly afford.