PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: we don't "deserve" HEXCon

scyphrre
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
It's pretty sad how negative people have been about the prospect of HEXCon. Maybe it's because Cryptozoic has absolutely spoiled us by giving us so much free stuff - they've bent over backwards to give us free stuff. Some of us need to be reminded that not everything Crypto does has to benefit you as an individual. This is the same kind of thing that happened when they announced free drafts for all 250 tiers - PP's were complaining that they got nothing. "Forget about all the other people who got a nice bonus, I only care that it didn't benefit me."

Seriously, if you examined all the rewards and made a pledge at any level, then you essentially reasoned that you were happy with that level of rewards for that amount of money. Any and everything Crypto gives you after that, is just an early Christmas gift. If it benefits you great. If not, then be happy for those that it does benefit knowing that the stronger the community is, the more valuable your own personal investment is.

Cory has said many times that all the stretch goals were already in his cookbook - having more money sooner just meant they were able to implement them sooner. In other words, there was probably going to be a HEXCon, they're just able to tell us about it now because they are in reach of raising enough money for it. Guess what happens if we don't meet the stretch goal? Yep, there will likely still be a HEXCon, just maybe a little later down the road. So this is not an "American only" goal, or a "doesn't benefit everyone" goal. It is something that would have happened, but now has the chance of happening sooner.

Let's all try to nerf our greed level a bit - it's way too high right now.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
It probably won't happen anyway, making this and the many other of these post on both sides redundant.

scyphrre
06-06-2013, 03:14 PM
It probably won't happen anyway, making this and the many other of these post on both sides redundant.
You're probably right, but I had to get it out my system :)

GallyX0
06-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I would also like to highlight another positive: that hex con is even a thing. It bodes well for two reasons
1. There are enough of us crazy wonderful people to warrant a gathering! Go Hex community!
2. If it was "in the cookbook" then the developers are that committed to the Hex community that they were confident not only that this would succeed but also that they would be making the effort to rally the community. There are some really big gaming communities that don't get this amount of love from the devs, let alone a game that DOESN'T EXIST YET.

Super psyched for this game. Sorry if you can't make the hex con, which I know I can't, but I'm not bummed, I'm stoked. This game is going to soar based on the devs and the fans!

mainstager
06-07-2013, 12:15 AM
It's pretty sad how negative people have been about the prospect of HEXCon. Maybe it's because Cryptozoic has absolutely spoiled us by giving us so much free stuff - they've bent over backwards to give us free stuff. Some of us need to be reminded that not everything Crypto does has to benefit you as an individual. This is the same kind of thing that happened when they announced free drafts for all 250 tiers - PP's were complaining that they got nothing. "Forget about all the other people who got a nice bonus, I only care that it didn't benefit me."

Seriously, if you examined all the rewards and made a pledge at any level, then you essentially reasoned that you were happy with that level of rewards for that amount of money. Any and everything Crypto gives you after that, is just an early Christmas gift. If it benefits you great. If not, then be happy for those that it does benefit knowing that the stronger the community is, the more valuable your own personal investment is.

Cory has said many times that all the stretch goals were already in his cookbook - having more money sooner just meant they were able to implement them sooner. In other words, there was probably going to be a HEXCon, they're just able to tell us about it now because they are in reach of raising enough money for it. Guess what happens if we don't meet the stretch goal? Yep, there will likely still be a HEXCon, just maybe a little later down the road. So this is not an "American only" goal, or a "doesn't benefit everyone" goal. It is something that would have happened, but now has the chance of happening sooner.

Great post, mate.

Ozmono
06-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I would also like to highlight another positive: that hex con is even a thing. It bodes well for two reasons
1. There are enough of us crazy wonderful people to warrant a gathering! Go Hex community!
2. If it was "in the cookbook" then the developers are that committed to the Hex community that they were confident not only that this would succeed but also that they would be making the effort to rally the community. There are some really big gaming communities that don't get this amount of love from the devs, let alone a game that DOESN'T EXIST YET.

Super psyched for this game. Sorry if you can't make the hex con, which I know I can't, but I'm not bummed, I'm stoked. This game is going to soar based on the devs and the fans!
I'm not bummed about it either. Will be good for the community I think. Especially now that there is no longer any reason for anyone to feel like they are being excluded as we will all get a gift pack should we reach the goal.

ShadowIronblood
06-07-2013, 12:18 AM
hell ill go to vegas for hex con plus if one hex con works there no reason they couldnt bring it over seas too (world tour or GP for magic take place all over, the first few years might keep it local but if the community is there you know they'll bring it to you too. Let just end this KS with a bang and on a high note everyone 700%+ funded !!!

Verdant
06-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Not really redundant. Maybe some people will read it happily. After all, they've been so against HEX Con, and now developers and other backers possibly won't get it. Such a victory for everyone, especially for Crypto who, I'm sure, were very much looking forward to this event. Triple hooray for the mighty selfless community ^_^

Ozmono
06-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Not really redundant. Maybe some people will read it happily. After all, they've been so against HEX Con, and now developers and other backers possibly won't get it. Such a victory for everyone, especially for Crypto who, I'm sure, were very much looking forward to this event. Triple hooray for the mighty selfless community ^_^

As I said I think it would be good for the community. I was never against it, I just didn't have much faith we'd make the 2.5mil. I suppose the argument that it won't be redundant holds some merit but now that CZE is giving everyone something anyway maybe there is some more merit that it will be. No one is really complaining about it after they announced that. I obviously hope we hit the 2.5mil as I always have.

Verdant
06-07-2013, 12:26 AM
As I said I think it would be good for the community. I was never against it, I just didn't have much faith we'd make the 2.5mil. I suppose the argument that it won't be redundant holds some merit but now that CZE is giving everyone something anyway maybe there is some more merit that it will be. No one is really complaining about it after they announced that. I obviously hope we hit the 2.5mil as I always have.
Wasn't really talking about you, fellow HEXian. Consider this a fallout from yesterday's evening.

mudkip
06-07-2013, 12:28 AM
"Forget about all the other people who got a nice bonus, I only care that it didn't benefit me."

No.

I agree they can do whatever they want with the stretch bonus. As far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they want with the >300k money. Frankly, I'm impressed they've been so generous as it is!

My qualm is that they should have made a decent, universal perk to really tip over the final few backers. Having the final stretch goal as something that only really applies to a small percentage of the world (I know, it's hard to believe that the world is bigger than USA!) does not help the Kickstarter.

I don't live in USA. My friends don't live in USA. Why am I supposed to encourage my friends to back this Kickstarter so that the Americans can have another con?

Mavian
06-07-2013, 12:29 AM

Indeed, I think the 2.5m is just too far. 2.4m? Yeah, there was some possibility. But to be honest, the HexCon seems a bridge too far here in the last 24 hours. Perhaps a bit on purpose I imagine. Selfishly, I wish it would happen as I live within a decent driving distance of LV and when I went to Nationals for WoWTCG a couple years back it was a pretty cool experience. But realistically, I just don't see it happening. I think we may get close, but not close enough.

Mavian
06-07-2013, 12:32 AM
I don't live in USA. My friends don't live in USA. Why am I supposed to encourage my friends to back this Kickstarter so that the Americans can have another con?

By telling them about the multitude of other stretch goal bonuses they get not to mention the already great value of even the 20 dollar tier alone? You can tell your friends they made a second update saying any digital HexCon awards would be given to them as well.

Not every stretch goal has to be something that appeases everyone.

Ben
06-07-2013, 12:33 AM
I didn't like the idea initially, but after thinking it over, I actually like the idea. Helping the community grow, there would have been a live stream for it and it would have happened regardless, stretch goals or not.

ForgedSol
06-07-2013, 12:35 AM

The fact that they're having a convention gives me more confidence that they're going to go all out with this game. It gives me more confidence that the money I'm putting into is is being put into a game that will last a long while. I'm American and I'm probably not even going to be going to the convention. But because they're having it, it tipped me over the edge to adding more tiers.

Purgatus
06-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Let's not blow things out of proportion either. Some folks are being vocal about it, that's fine. Far, far, more good has come out of this community to chastise it so soon. We are all just humans after all.

Punk
06-07-2013, 12:41 AM

http://memecrunch.com/meme/MFE0/the-greed-level-for-hex-backers/image.png

Verdant
06-07-2013, 12:44 AM
My qualm is that they should have made a decent, universal perk to really tip over the final few backers. Having the final stretch goal as something that only really applies to a small percentage of the world (I know, it's hard to believe that the world is bigger than USA!) does not help the Kickstarter.

I don't live in USA. My friends don't live in USA. There is no way I can attend HEX Con this year. But it's not about me, is it? It's about a game that has all the makings of being great. It's about developers who go out of their way to give people content. HEX Con is a big deal for a game no matter where you live. It gives exposure and advertisement to brand, it promotes larger player base. Which is, I'm sorry to say, way better than you getting some additional promo card.

Also, don't tell friends about this one and only stretch goal. Be fair and combine them all.

Ryoma_Echizen
06-07-2013, 01:20 AM
If the stretch goal was: "We'll make a TV Commercial for HEX and put it all over the airways to promote the awesomeness that is HEX!" and the reward was "Dragon King and above get to be an extra in the commercial" would you guys accept that as a fair stretch goal? Update #29 seemed very much like that to me, a decent goal that the poor reward makes it feel like Crypto is just milking its player base rather than catering to them.

Update #30 changed the view for me to "Stretch Goal: HEX Con" and "Reward: Squire and above get HEX Con Swag". I wish this is how they would have concepted it from the start. HEX Con is an epic and suitable end goal. When everyone gets something from it, everyone can share in the celebration. Each of the previous three stretch goals had rewarded all backers and now so does the last one. I hope the countdown livestream will allow them to share their vision of the HEX Con and encourage players to back it.

Swordmage
06-07-2013, 01:56 AM
If the stretch goal was: "We'll make a TV Commercial for HEX and put it all over the airways to promote the awesomeness that is HEX!" and the reward was "Dragon King and above get to be an extra in the commercial" would you guys accept that as a fair stretch goal? Update #29 seemed very much like that to me, a decent goal that the poor reward makes it feel like Crypto is just milking its player base rather than catering to them.

Update #30 changed the view for me to "Stretch Goal: HEX Con" and "Reward: Squire and above get HEX Con Swag". I wish this is how they would have concepted it from the start. HEX Con is an epic and suitable end goal. When everyone gets something from it, everyone can share in the celebration. Each of the previous three stretch goals had rewarded all backers and now so does the last one. I hope the countdown livestream will allow them to share their vision of the HEX Con and encourage players to back it.

+1. And I will still fight tooth and nail that that commercial would be more useful. Why not say, "Hex is going to now have a HUGE presence at GenCon!" because that would get more players. HexCon is a con for Hex players. Y'know. People that already play. You won't get that many new people. When I hear about DairyFarmerCon DesMoines, I think "That's for dairy farmers", and less "Oh hey, what is a dairy farmer? I should become one."

"But what about the gaming journalists that will do glowing live stream coverage of this sainted event that everyone will surely froth over?" This has a point. The potential for gaming journalist coverage is nice. I remain skeptical it will get anything but sidebar article status, but it COULD work out.

I think it'll be a great party for the fans that can go, great swag for those that can't, and that's a good thing. But let's not pretend that it's a marketing masterstroke. It's good for the community in terms of community building between ourselves. Woo! It's not something that's going to rope in nearly as many new players as a good marketing blitz.

It's not nearly as interesting as a stretch goal in comparison to every other project I've back on KS. Since they went from, "Hey, well, there's no guarantee people are going to GET anything from this con, so it won't matter if you can't come!", which is really disingenuous because there's no way anyone would ever throw a con without swag, to, "Look, everyone will get the obviously inevitable swag!" then the goal became a little bit interesting. This is probably the first time that a stretch goal didn't cause me to spurt out an increase of 60% of my original pledge in order to try and get it. This will probably be the first time I won't be sad if a stretch goal isn't met. It's kind of an anti-climax for most people. There are plenty of people excited! Woo! But there's no shame or anger in recognizing that, well, about 50% of the backers or more gave a collective shrug.

ForgedSol
06-07-2013, 01:58 AM

I guess your example didn't work on me, because I thought the commercial idea was awesome. I thought you were supporting the idea, and when you asked, "would you guys accept that as a fair stretch goal" I answered, "Yes," in my head. The kickstarter video was pretty crazy, I would be interested in seeing how they'd do a commercial for Hex.

Ozmono
06-07-2013, 02:03 AM
I guess your example didn't work on me, because I thought the commercial idea was awesome. I thought you were supporting the idea, and when you asked, "would you guys accept that as a fair stretch goal" I answered, "Yes," in my head. The kickstarter video was pretty crazy, I would be interested in seeing how they'd do a commercial for Hex.

:)
Same here, I thought it was an analogy to back up the value of having hex con not to detract from it. Afterall we will all benefit from a larger community assuming their servers can accommodate us. As for the value of Hex Con though, it is better than the commercial idea as it will foster the current community and appeal to the right audience rather than a bunch of random people.

Ryoma_Echizen
06-07-2013, 02:33 AM
I would also love a commercial, hopefully both HEX and Solforge (for which I am also a backer) will get them eventually. I was trying to illustrate how it can feel like only a certain segment of the player base is being catered to even if the actual goal is very good. A commercial is a great goal. HEX Con is an excellent goal. But they aren't rewards. Both goal and reward need to be in sync, rewarding a majority not a minority of backers. That said, they've recovered admirably and if they are smart will whip people into a frenzy with a promo merc or something.

If there was another 4-5 days left, I think a 3 million dollar stretch goal for a commercial would be awesome. Maybe if slacker backers push the total to 2.75 we can have a goal where Cryptozoic creates a web commercial where Cory and Kyle both fight bears. Or Cory gets mutated into a bear for Kyle to wrestle it. I'm sure Cryptozoic can make a good bear storyline.

ForgedSol
06-07-2013, 02:37 AM
I would also love a commercial, hopefully both HEX and Solforge (for which I am also a backer) will get them eventually. I was trying to illustrate how it can feel like only a certain segment of the player base is being catered to even if the actual goal is very good. A commercial is a great goal. HEX Con is an excellent goal. But they aren't rewards. Both goal and reward need to be in sync, rewarding a majority not a minority of backers. That said, they've recovered admirably and if they are smart will whip people into a frenzy with a promo merc or something.

If there was another 4-5 days left, I think a 3 million dollar stretch goal for a commercial would be awesome. Maybe if slacker backers push the total to 2.75 we can have a goal where Cryptozoic creates a web commercial where Cory and Kyle both fight bears. Or Cory gets mutated into a bear for Kyle to wrestle it. I'm sure Cryptozoic can make a good bear storyline.

Oh, I'm saying that the commercial idea was great, and I didn't care if it was something I couldn't have been a part of. Your example didn't get me to feel the way you're trying to illustrate. I still would have seen it as benefiting me.

Ryoma_Echizen
06-07-2013, 02:49 AM
I suppose another video with Cory in drag would benefit everyone.

Its way too late but another crazy stretch goal idea is a weekly/monthly web official podcast where Cory and the gang answer questions, show off new stuff, and bring in crazy fans. (like Wingman's Hangar for Star Citizen) Hopefully they already have plans to do some of this anyway. If MTG can put out a bi-weekly podcast, a digital only game like HEX should be able to pump out a weekly one no sweat.

TheWrathofShane
06-07-2013, 03:31 AM
The stretch goal could have been a picture of cory's **** and I would have said thank you.

Seriously, we are getting insane value from the booster packs alone. You realize after this kickstarter, the only thing that they will sell is booster packs for 2 dollars a pop, 10 dollar starter decks, VIP, ect...

BlackRoger
06-07-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm not saying that HexCon is a bad idea in general, and I'm happy at least to also get the promo stuff from it.

It's just that its one more thing that us non-US citizens feel a little left out on.
Ofc there are lots of Cons going around in the US like this, but this is the first time one of them is being funded with our money, so it feels a bit more frustrating.

I know you're all saying its great for publicity, but thats publicity in the US... its probably not gonna get the attention of people in other countries, and thus doesn't bring in people who will be online while I am, so not that helpfull for me.

Anyways, all you guys who get to go there make sure to bring back vids and stories to share with the rest.

mainstager
06-07-2013, 04:39 AM

Some people are just THAT self-centered. Forget that it would bring joy to others, let's focus on YOU for a minute. You know, there are a lot of us "Americans who you are helping get a con" who wouldn't be able to go, same as you. Jerk.

Faith in humanity, -1

Faith in Hex, unchanged.

Oaka23
06-07-2013, 04:47 AM
It's not even that, tbh. The entire point of Kickstarter is for you to be able to show your support for a certain cause. The stretch goals aren't things that are owed to you. I feel like the term "rewards" should be something more like "incentives." Calling them rewards fosters this weird sense of entitlement in a lot of people.

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 05:06 AM
I don't feel entitled to anything, I feel excluded. There is a chance I will not be able to get those t-shirts, and now there is an event I would happily go to and take part it, but will never be able to afford. I am happy that it will bring fans together, but I will never be one of those people, despite being a HUGE fan, and being here since day one, helping to spread the word.

And I am not being selfish about it - I still managed to convince my friend who was on the fence to go and pledge, even after the goal was revealed - I just wish they could have done something to support the EU fans (and by extension anyone else who can afford to go to EU but not America.) I don't care if it is a small event at Gamescon in Germany, just something to help us feel like genuine members of the community, and not outsiders looking in. Hex is probably one of the few things I would break the bank for, but I still couldn't get to Vegas on a million years.

Not everyone is trying to get more free stuff. Some just want to participate, and not being able to sucks. So maybe you could think about not adding to the things that suck - none of these comments are going to help anyone, in the long run, and the mature people will swallow their bad feelings and work to get the goal for those who can enjoy it.

Ryoma_Echizen
06-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Is it entitlement to want "incentives" that everyone can share in?

Despite the title of this thread, no one is assuming stretch goals or rewards are "owed" to us. We (well, me at least) just want more sensible goals and rewards that are inclusive of a greater number of backers.

Mavian
06-07-2013, 05:31 AM
Could look at it like this. At least with the 2.5m (which won't be reached in 5 hours likely), you'd get the swag bag digital stuff. If there is a HexCon eventually, it'll still take place in Irvine/Anaheim (where Blizzcon is done) or in Las Vegas. And people would still miss out on the exclusives and the experience, similar to Blizzcon.

I'm not sure what they could've really done at the final stretch goal at this point. Perhaps, just like before, they should've never added rewards like extra cards to the stretch goals and just be the feature themselves (i.e. no Alpha for the 1.8m, only the book). That way there'd be no sense of resentment at not being able to get something or do something.

I mean, you all forget about the Dragon Lord's and above that got the GenCon stretch goal reward, I'm sure many of them can't go do it schedule conflicts or other reasons.

RanaDunes
06-07-2013, 05:36 AM
I think the reason why some people were disappointed with the last stretch was because this stretch is "selective". What I mean is that only a few selected backers can benefit from it (people who are near the area or free/rich enough to travel to it). Everyone else will feel left out.

Oaka23
06-07-2013, 05:36 AM
I mean, you all forget about the Dragon Lord's and above that got the GenCon stretch goal reward, I'm sure many of them can't go do it schedule conflicts or other reasons.

Meeeee

Fireblast
06-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Not sure how much you can with $400k for a commercial.
Produce the movie, pay for the bandwidth etc...

HEX Con is definately better, in the end we could even have live tournament where the best players are invited (airfare paid) to compete.

~

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 05:40 AM
I already know Dragon lords and above with this issue - but they are small in number, compared the number excluded by this new goal. The issue isn't about entitlement, its about being excluded, even if it isn't intentional. Like I said, if they made an effort to show up in Germany with a small booth and give out signed posters or something to Hex fans that turn up, it would go a long way to alleviating the ill feelings about this goal.

Non-US citizens who do not have large amounts of disposable income still want to feel like they matter.

And like I said, the mature ones will still work hard to reach this goal, while the immature ones whine all day. I secured another player/pledger - how about everyone else? Let this thread show how you helped, not how loud you can whine.

Mavian
06-07-2013, 05:50 AM
I don't mean to be harsh, but you're first sentiment is as long as it's a minority of people getting excluded, it's fine?

Anyways, realistically, EU gets left out of a lot of things. It's hard for American based companies to do things internationally. There's a ton of logistics when you do something in a different country than your native one. Especially when you're a privately owned one like CZE. To rent out a venue in the US, all it takes is a down payment and date. Maybe a plane ride, but you can drive to a place like LV from CA easy enough. Plus CZE has done tournies in LV so they know who they can get a good rate from. EU or Asia, there's passports, scouting, and who knows what else to rent and setup a venue. Just not realistic for a small company. And even bigger companies like Blizzard don't do it often.

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 05:58 AM
I don't mean to be harsh, but you're first sentiment is as long as it's a minority of people getting excluded, it's fine?

Anyways, realistically, EU gets left out of a lot of things. It's hard for American based companies to do things internationally. There's a ton of logistics when you do something in a different country than your native one. Especially when you're a privately owned one like CZE. To rent out a venue in the US, all it takes is a down payment and date. Maybe a plane ride, but you can drive to a place like LV from CA easy enough. Plus CZE has done tournies in LV so they know who they can get a good rate from. EU or Asia, there's passports, scouting, and who knows what else to rent and setup a venue. Just not realistic for a small company. And even bigger companies like Blizzard don't do it often.

I never said it was fine, I only said they have more people upset this time. No-one likes to be excluded.

And setting aside a small amount (in the grand scheme) to visit the biggest gaming event in EU (I have heard the claims it is the biggest worldwide) and advertise their game is a smart move. If they do a few small things to connect with fans while they are there, it would be a big step in making us feel equal. I am not asking them to rent a stadium and bring the whole company - that would be stupidly expensive and a waste of time. But sending a small crew to an established event? Much more manageable. Plus it was an example, I am not begging for them to come or anything.

Oh, I should point out Blizzard has attended several times and will be this year. So your example wasn't amazing.

Mavian
06-07-2013, 06:05 AM
That was my point though, people will be excluded. It happens. People will feel excluded from not being able to get the Kickstarter deals after launch. The point is not to get sour about it. The HexCon would still be good for the community and giving in face dev feedback and ideas. Anyways, again, the goal isn't likely to be reached anyway and perhaps that was by design a little as well.

As to Gamescom, they haven't talked about going to any game conventions at all really. E3 is next month and they could've registered a booth months ago for coverage, but I don't believe they're there either. Maybe they will go to Gamescom, probably still time to register before August.

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 06:13 AM
That was my point though, people will be excluded. It happens. People will feel excluded from not being able to get the Kickstarter deals after launch. The point is not to get sour about it. The HexCon would still be good for the community and giving in face dev feedback and ideas. Anyways, again, the goal isn't likely to be reached anyway and perhaps that was by design a little as well.

As to Gamescom, they haven't talked about going to any game conventions at all really. E3 is next month and they could've registered a booth months ago for coverage, but I don't believe they're there either. Maybe they will go to Gamescom, probably still time to register before August.

I think E3 was a no-go because they are so early in development. Gamescon is just before beta (around when the alpha starts) and they could have a stable demo-pod set up by then. I think it might be premature for them to plan it and confirm attendance now, but they should consider it - it would give them some good exposure, hundreds of bloggers attend, news sites, even other companies might be interested.

And like I said, IF they went, they could support the EU fans on the side - would be a great idea for them. (They should hold off on exclusive stuff though, everyone should just get the Hexcon stuff, and thats it.)

Mavian
06-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Oh, I should point out Blizzard has attended several times and will be this year. So your example wasn't amazing.

I think you should rethink that line. There's a HUGE difference between setting up a convention, like HexCon or Blizzcon and attending one setup by others who have done it for years. Because that's what we're talking about here. Setting up their own convention, not attending others. They'll likely be at PAX this year I imagine seeing as they're very chummy with Penny Arcade. Logistics of attending an event vs. setting up, managing, and hosting one is the difference between a lake and an ocean.

EntropyBall
06-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Its nice that they are trying to make everyone happy, but I hope they don't keep bending over backwards to all the people who take the "if I can't have it, no one can" attitude. You aren't going to be able to collect every single thing, get over it and let them have fun making promotional stuff. Look at MTG, it would be virtually impossible to collect every single card, yet alone every AA or promotional card.

EntropyBall
06-07-2013, 06:38 AM
I think the reason why some people were disappointed with the last stretch was because this stretch is "selective". What I mean is that only a few selected backers can benefit from it (people who are near the area or free/rich enough to travel to it). Everyone else will feel left out.

Also, this is ridiculous. MOST of the stretch goals don't affect every tier (and thus, every backer).

RanaDunes
06-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Also, this is ridiculous. MOST of the stretch goals don't affect every tier (and thus, every backer).

True, some stretch goal (not most) didn't effect every tier. But you're missing something. For all these stretch goals you actually still have a chance to get them by simply upgrading your pledge. HexCon, in the other hand, you're SOL if you're living overseas or your schedule is tight.

I'm a Dragon Lord backer here, I already have that HexCon invitation and I never complained. I do, however, think the dissatisfaction is justified.

MrSeriousBsns
06-07-2013, 07:12 AM
I think people lose sight of how much HexCon could improve the game's popularity just by the amount of advertising alone. Regardless of physical attendance of the event itself, we all still benefit as a community if this game is a massive hit. All our lifetime rewards become that much better if this game is running strong for 10 years+.

So, even though I couldn't actually attend the event, I still see it as a very positive reward for all of us.

Oaka23
06-07-2013, 07:14 AM
I think people lose sight of how much HexCon could improve the game's popularity just by the amount of advertising alone. Regardless of physical attendance of the event itself, we all still benefit as a community if this game is a massive hit. All our lifetime rewards become that much better if this game is running strong for 10 years+.

So, even though I couldn't actually attend the event, I still see it as a very positive reward for all of us.

This.

Avedecus
06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Not sure how much you can with $400k for a commercial.~

Just fyi 400k is a pretty large advertising budget for a company like CZE.

Tinuvas
06-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Does anyone else realize the subtle possibilities that Hexcon will create that won't be there otherwise?

1. Great chance to show off new features and get immediate feedback, lowering turnaround time for the rest of us.
2. More mercs, cards, etc that all of us KS backers get (small thing, but more mercs to build around will just be more fun to be had).
3. Cementing of Hex in the industry, leading to further opportunities for growth.
4. The big one for me, and something that most of us want, is the chance to do real cash tourneys. Maybe the first Hexcon will just be a kind of dry run for this, but it will set the foundation for cash tourneys for the future. I think that's one of the biggest ups for me with Hexcon. Cash tourneys in and of themselves will lock in Hex's future much faster than just about any other feature IMHO, and Hexcon is the biggest commitment Crypto has made yet to it happening. This will benefit us all, regardless of whether we go or not.

Summary: It's not about the con, it's about the opportunity for all of us.

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 07:37 AM
I think you should rethink that line. There's a HUGE difference between setting up a convention, like HexCon or Blizzcon and attending one setup by others who have done it for years. Because that's what we're talking about here. Setting up their own convention, not attending others. They'll likely be at PAX this year I imagine seeing as they're very chummy with Penny Arcade. Logistics of attending an event vs. setting up, managing, and hosting one is the difference between a lake and an ocean.

I don't see the issue - Blizzard attends gamescon, thats a fact, and if it takes LESS resources to attend than to set up your own, so I would assume sending a few people to gamescon would be fairly simple in comparison. I really don't see your point here.

bizznach
06-07-2013, 07:48 AM
i feel like i hit the jackpot in terms of bonuses 3 weeks ago when i first pledged...anything after that was pure insanity as far as i'm concerned.
really you don't like what you originally pledged for before any tier bonuses were shown?
then why did you pledge?
playing you whiners in pvp will be either hilarious or make my eyes bleed.
CTZ PLEASE give us a mute button just in case

Mavian
06-07-2013, 08:18 AM
I don't see the issue - Blizzard attends gamescon, thats a fact, and if it takes LESS resources to attend than to set up your own, so I would assume sending a few people to gamescon would be fairly simple in comparison. I really don't see your point here.

...because this thread and everything is talking about HexCon, a convention they're setting up. Not attending conventions. Yes, of course, sending a person to someone elses con is fairly simple. A passport and a laptop will do almost. But they're already attending GenCon in August, days before Gamescom. It's ok, they're not out to snub the EU or Asia. Super swear.

MrCwis
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I find it amusing how people are saying they hate how this con is only for americans. Do people not understand how big the USA is and that a lot of people who live in America also won't be able to go? I live in Canada and it's actually cheaper for me to go than it is for some people who live in America. We're in North America where it takes a week to drive to across out country not and afternoon. You can drive from Paris to Venice and back, then to Venice again then get lunch before I'm able to drive to Vegas. It's really only a same portion of people who would be able to go with out spending a lot on travel.

But the faact that they're thinking about a Hexcon is what makes me excited, because it means they're planning for the future of Hex and want it to succeed.

Yasi
06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
No. They should move HexCon to Vietnam because that's where I live.

Xenavire
06-07-2013, 10:09 AM
...because this thread and everything is talking about HexCon, a convention they're setting up. Not attending conventions. Yes, of course, sending a person to someone elses con is fairly simple. A passport and a laptop will do almost. But they're already attending GenCon in August, days before Gamescom. It's ok, they're not out to snub the EU or Asia. Super swear.

I don't argue that this thread is about HexCon, but I was talking about things that could alleviate the backlash from the international community - I don't see how that isn't adding something useful, rather than just whining.

And GenCon attendance doesn't mean they have to forgo GamesCon - I doubt all the members would be at GenCon, so a few of the team could go to GamesCon, advertise like crazy, and get international people frothing at the mouth, wanting to play.

I know the scheduling might be a small issue, but I don't see it being impossible and they have several months to make a choice. Seems safe enough to mention it as a possibility.

Gwaer
06-07-2013, 10:17 AM
It's not the convention that we deserve, but it is the convention that we need right now?

Anssi
06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
I find it amusing how people are saying they hate how this con is only for americans. Do people not understand how big the USA is and that a lot of people who live in America also won't be able to go? I live in Canada and it's actually cheaper for me to go than it is for some people who live in America. We're in North America where it takes a week to drive to across out country not and afternoon. You can drive from Paris to Venice and back, then to Venice again then get lunch before I'm able to drive to Vegas. It's really only a same portion of people who would be able to go with out spending a lot on travel.

But the faact that they're thinking about a Hexcon is what makes me excited, because it means they're planning for the future of Hex and want it to succeed.

It is more about the always continuing trend of US companies giving preferencial treatment to US customers even if EU customer base is larger (which I don't say it is in this case as I don't know.).