PDA

View Full Version : So I own this store...

Derium
06-06-2013, 08:37 PM
...And I've been carrying Crypto since they've been around. And I've hooked more than a few people on either the WoW TCG, once of their board games, or the insanity called the Walking Dead trading cards. Well, what about HEX? I understand it's nontangible, and that booster pack prices are really low. But are we able to get some sorta flashy blister pack that sells "booster pack codes" or something? We need something physical for a talking points. The people I've shown the Kickstarter to have liked it (after all, it is a CCG store first and foremost).

Anyone have ideas Crypto could use? I think they should add HEX booster codes into their WoW TCG boosters, just like their Wow MMO loots.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
IMO, try contacting Cryptozoic after the KS ends and the insanity dies down.

Request if you can buy packs at a wholesale price after the game launches, and sell them at the store for the normal price.

Physical would be a bit odd. Maybe a cheapo tablet display with a stream, demo, or trailer?

I'm sure that they have something in mind for physical stores, but I'm not sure how they'd go about it.

Brumby66
06-06-2013, 08:44 PM
They could start hobby leagues and have AA cards or already foiled cards to distribute. They do want to make this game an e-sport and it definitely has the potential to be in card stores. I could totally see tournaments where everyone has tablets and are paired up like in other games. They could also do qualifiers through the stores.

Derium
IMO, try contacting Cryptozoic after the KS ends and the insanity dies down.

Request if you can buy packs at a wholesale price after the game launches, and resell them at the store for the normal price.

Physical would be a bit odd. Maybe a cheapo tablet display with a stream, demo, or trailer?

I have a Fantasy Flight Ipad set up in my FF section. They update it with "commercials" for all of their product. And that thing sells a TON of crap from people just interacting with it. I suggest any game company do that *hint hint Crypto*. If they did that, then they could add anything virtual onto it.

Qorsair
Yeah, I thought about this too. I'd love to see them do code/gift cards sold in store that you can redeem for packs of 5 or 10 boosters in game.

BenRGamer
I'm sure at the very least they'd let you sell Platinum Gift Cards for people who want to buy platinum but don't have CCs.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm sure at the very least they'd let you sell Platinum Gift Cards for people who want to buy platinum but don't have CCs.

That's probably the easiest method, same as Riot Games does with LoL.

LeMazing
06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
They could easily have Newcomer gift cards or something similar that would include things like:
- 1 Pre-con deck
- 3 packs + 1 plat (or just a free draft)
- a month of MVP

Just something around $10-15 to get people interested would be enough, then of course including redeemable codes in their other products and working with retailers to give out shirts at sanctioned tourneys, etc. Despite the fact that this is a digital game, there are still plenty of ways for them to spread the word and allow shops to sell merchandise.

Beastmaster
06-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I made a thread about this earlier - I think the real money for stores could be in converting platinum back to cash as they have the advantage of being able to conduct transactions totally offline and as a physical store, are much more trustworthy than the net stores thay people assure me will pop up to take advantage of this need. In order to do this though, stores need to already have the ability to buy boosters wholesale and re-sell them.

If they are already in the business of selling boosters, then they can easily by boosters from players who want cash at a discount and sell them along with their own (online) stock. I realise Crypto doesnt want anything to do with this but I feel that it is better that the money goes to a store that ppl (or ppl they know) know and trust rather than some random on the inter-webs.

I also feel that Crypto really should have a special 'slacker backer' in store only special to really reach out to customers of games stores and at least get them to try out Hex.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I suppose they could do under-the-table purchases of platinum, but it'd be...in a weird limbo of legality.

I guess better for card stores to get the profit than some WeBuyHexPlat website.

caffn8d
06-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I love that someone in a store is interested. I would LOVE to go to a physical location and talk about HEX. Then buy a bunch of other stuff and head home in the wee hours wondering who I can convince to play it with me. :)

Beastmaster
06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I suppose they could do under-the-table purchases of platinum, but it'd be...in a weird limbo of legality.

Show me one card shop that doesn't have a fridge full of coke and snacks... Its highly doubtful that any of those sales make their way into the official tax forms.. or have the required licensing ;)

Brumby66
06-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I think stores could have hex leagues and each player who participates would be linked to that store. In order to encourage growth, the store could get a small portion of all purchases associated with each person who is linked to their store. They could give the store either the money or other special rewards for future tourneys or both. Each person would be linked to the store in which they have played the most tournaments. In the result of a tie, the most recent one would take precedence. This could provide a huge potential for growth.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Store-run leagues would be possible with the current system, so that might be a nice incentive.

MrMcPippens
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I think your best bet is to make an account for your store and buy and sell cards in shop to players who come in, as well as work the auction house.

Stok3d
06-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I made a thread about this earlier - I think the real money for stores could be in converting platinum back to cash as they have the advantage of being able to conduct transactions totally offline and as a physical store, are much more trustworthy than the net stores thay people assure me will pop up to take advantage of this need. In order to do this though, stores need to already have the ability to buy boosters wholesale and re-sell them.

If they are already in the business of selling boosters, then they can easily by boosters from players who want cash at a discount and sell them along with their own (online) stock. I realise Crypto doesnt want anything to do with this but I feel that it is better that the money goes to a store that ppl (or ppl they know) know and trust rather than some random on the inter-webs.

I also feel that Crypto really should have a special 'slacker backer' in store only special to really reach out to customers of games stores and at least get them to try out Hex.

This.

Tyrfang
06-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I think your best bet is to make an account for your store and buy and sell cards in shop to players who come in, as well as work the auction house.

So play the AH for a living? No, I don't think that's a viable business model...

Buying platinum off players at a ~60-70% margin, then selling back out packs or tickets would probably be the best option. It wouldn't be that different from buying back cards and repacking them, I suppose.

OutlandishMatt
06-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Auction House, you could definitely do that aspect. Kids that don't have a credit card or a way to obtain stuff. You could get it for them at a price.

tacospag
06-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I think at least offering a physical location to buy platinum, boosters, etc. would be ideal.

Hiruma
06-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Me and my friends were talking about this the other day, we love the idea of Hex but also want to keep supporting our local game shops. Having official store tournaments and things like booster pack codes would be perfect!

Boogaloo
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
My local Wal-Mart has physcial cards (with codes on them) for in-game currency for various Facebook games available for purchase near the check out counters - I don't see why you couldn't do something similar with the currencies or boosters in Hex.

Madican
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Crypto has already said they want to support the local hobby shops and are looking into ways to integrate Hex with them. So give it a bit of time, they are working on it.

Derium
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Jesus, an explosion of ideas while I was gone!

Well, maybe we can help Crypto with ideas Madican ;)

As a store owner, I am not looking for anything crazy like being able to be the middle man for Platinum. I think even that would be unfair to most people. I do however love the idea of a little starter collection card, get a starter, some boosters, maybe a draft set ect. And of course game cards for boosters/platinum/ect.

Many places on Kickstarter have "retailer only" pledge levels. Maybe they can add one in once they up the slacker backer options. Allow us to maybe buy a bunch of boosters at a slight discount with the idea of us to give them out, or resell them for retail. Just to gather up interest at launch.

panzer
06-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Its just common sense to promote the game at card shops. Selling game cards would be a great idea as well. Maybe extend the promotions to books store (barns and noble, Booksamillion, etc.) Since thats the only place I've seen people play card games.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I like the idea of selling 'scratch cards' with booster pack codes on them. One of the selling points of the game is that it would be entirely digital, but OP is right - having a physical product can help with a lot of exposure. Even just someone asking "what's Hex?" because they've seen the booster-pack-card can lead to another player.

I don't know how much it would cost for the plastic-scratch cards, but yeah, could definitely be feasible. I know that was really convenient when I started playing WoW and didn't have a credit card. WoW too was a game that could be played without every touching something physical - but the physical side of things did help.

mmimzie
06-06-2013, 10:17 PM
They could sell little card board gems with codes inside that unlock booster packs!!!

maniza
06-06-2013, 10:42 PM
protip: get a producer. you will thank me later

Derium
06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
protip: get a producer. you will thank me later

I can't get producer. Cory would kick me out for hiding behind objects avoiding Sara because she's mad at me for selling my playmats on eBay. And then I'd yell at Cory for not letting me personally fire Ry because he treated my store like dirt. It's fine to use the first names right? hrm.

either way, Yelling at cory while hiding underneath his desk is probably not what they wanna put up with. Even for 10k ;)

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Brick and Mortar shops in their right minds won't back HEX as there is nothing for them out of it.

It would be rude from CZE to ask them to advertize.

~

Derium
06-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Brick and Mortar shops in their right minds won't back HEX as there is nothing for them out of it.

It would be rude from CZE to ask them to advertize.

~

From a business standpoint there isn't anything to gain right now. But seeing how I already tell my customers that Crypto is a solid company, I want to help. They help me feed my family, I'd like to help them feed theirs as well.

Beastmaster
06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
I just think that the last thing Hex and Crypto need is a bunch of bad press from people getting scammed selling boosters and platinum and there doesnt really look like there is a way to avoid the risk of being scammed given that the goods are within an account and the money is outside of it with no way to coordinate the transfer or middleman to ensure either party gets what they want.

If I was Crypto I would take a harsh stance to people who advertise these services online so as to reduce the chances of people getting scammed. I think it would be cool on the other hand if they turned a blind eye to in store transfers to allow card stores some profit and because card stores with a reputation of their own to protect, will not scam their customers.

Prob wont happen but would be cool if it did

Rhyahn
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
I would love to have a place that I could cash out my platinum for real money safely. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Hibbert
06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Retailer accounts would be a cool idea.

For example, once they add in the customizable leagues, a store owner could create one limited to their in-store customers. Store owners could get a cut of the profit for entry fees, and in return offer up some store credit in addition to any other prizes. They could set up a Hex night, and people could play in the store on tablets/laptops. Or even just play from home.

Given the relationship CZE has with stores now, I could easily see hybrid RL/online tournaments being a thing. Hex may be a online game, but having a smaller pool of people you know better can be more fun sometimes than the faceless random people in the drafting queues.

quaza
06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
You can buy top-up codes for your phone, and WoW-time cards at your local 7-11. Selling Hex packs at retail shops is not a bad idea. Maybe not at $2 a pack though; maybe something like $10 for 5 packs (to make it worth printing and shipping costs).

TexArcane
06-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Sorry, but I don't want hobby stores to have anything to do with this game. No offense to you as a retailer but I'd rather not have speculator retailers tainting this game as well as all the physical TCGs.

Genocidal
06-07-2013, 07:29 PM
How would stores carrying downloadable codes for in-game boosters/starters "taint" a game?

Trothael
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I was talking with a few friends at the WoW TCG Realm Championships, and we were talking about loot cards when Hex came up. We all agreed that the loot cards you get in boosters could easily be redeemable for promos/free drafts/boosters in Hex.

Cross-game promotion between their own product, nice bonuses for people who play both games, something to placate vendors? Sounds pretty good.

Alzorath
06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
You can buy top-up codes for your phone, and WoW-time cards at your local 7-11. Selling Hex packs at retail shops is not a bad idea. Maybe not at $2 a pack though; maybe something like $10 for 5 packs (to make it worth printing and shipping costs).

Honestly, this is the best solution... you could even have multi-tier: $10 (5-pack), $20 (12 pack), $30 (20 pack) - as far as how the physical stores would profit, same was as with the other cards: store gets a portion of face value.

Genocidal
06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Cross-game promotion between their own product, nice bonuses for people who play both games, something to placate vendors? Sounds pretty good.

I'd be fine with non-exclusive content, but no promos. This worked horribly with WowTCG and Edwin VanCleef.

quaza
06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
as far as how the physical stores would profit, same was as with the other cards: store gets a portion of face value.

Bulk buy at reduced rates, sell for face value. Pretty sure this is how it's done for most other cards.

karmacappa
06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
...And I've been carrying Crypto since they've been around. And I've hooked more than a few people on either the WoW TCG, once of their board games, or the insanity called the Walking Dead trading cards. Well, what about HEX? I understand it's nontangible, and that booster pack prices are really low. But are we able to get some sorta flashy blister pack that sells "booster pack codes" or something? We need something physical for a talking points. The people I've shown the Kickstarter to have liked it (after all, it is a CCG store first and foremost).

Anyone have ideas Crypto could use? I think they should add HEX booster codes into their WoW TCG boosters, just like their Wow MMO loots.

It is fairly commonplace nowadays to have a pre-paid option. They would probably be some kind of credit card object that has a code good for a certain amount of platinum in game.
One really interesting option might be to have some kind of system that allows you to make a mini tourney with a bunch of people using cheap Android tablets.

Alzorath
06-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Bulk buy at reduced rates, sell for face value. Pretty sure this is how it's done for most other cards.

Yup... though last time I looked up the profit on those scratch off cards was a good 3-4 years ago... suppose I could check again after I get off vacation lol.

quaza
06-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I also remember buying phone codes - it was literally a placeholder physical object kept behind the counter, scanned when bought, and it printed off a code right onto the receipt that you'd then type into the phone. I was never sure whether the codes were stored in bulk on a local server (pulled up one at a time when scanned) or requested from HQ when they printed though; but either way, it is also a valid option.