PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic Discusion:

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Other forums have it, hex needs one too! We are a community and want to discuss juicy topics!
Mature Content Warning, GET A PARENT if your under 18!!

Okay, Prostitution: Why is it illegal?
1) I dont need the big bad government to tell me whats morally right or morally wrong.
2) Personally I wouldn't get a prostitute if it was legal tomorrow. Not interested in that, but refer back to 1.
3) For persons who are deformed, or mentally retarded, why the **** would you want to sit there and judge them saying No No, you cant go do that its "wrong"?
4) You can tax it and get mandated STD checks, illegal prostitution would happen either way, but people would be more aware that illegal prostitution has a high risk for STD, because they are forced to do it illegally when they have an STD.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Also disclaimer: If any kids were old enough to read the mature content warning and say PFFT, they were old enough to find much worse on the internet even with parental protection!

Supervision is the best babysitter for web browsing, not parent protection.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Bump.

(Yes I just bumped my own thread, dont get your panties in a bunch beloved Hex community!)

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Three things: firstly, you're kinda going crazy with your recent posts, and you need to calm down. Secondly, did you not just copy and paste this from a post in the LoL GD? Thirdly, this is not a remotely acceptable place to discuss that topic.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 09:30 PM
1. I have very little fear of government regulations. I do have some but not much. I think the government should be able to stop cigarette companies from advertising for example and tax the shit out of companies that sell it. I say this even as a smoker. If we are to live in a society we need to adhere to a set of common rules and they should be enforced.

2. I'm not asexual but I have no interest in prostitutes of either sex. I think legalizing it and regulating is the way to go though. It's horrible that many are forced into prostitution as sex slaves in very rich countries that don't legalize it or regulate it. Some rich countries pretty much stamped it out by regulating it though.

3. This might seem like a contradiction to my stance on your first issue but it isn't. I try (fail alot of the time but I try) not to judge or control people, any people when I don't need to. Certain times it is necessary to judge someone for safety though and as I said in regards to issue one there must be a set of rules that we all are accountable to if we are to live together peacefully. As for the mentally retarded thing, if someone has diminished mental capabilities, a child included, I think it is morally right to look out for them even if that means telling them something is wrong. I say this as a person with diminished mental capabilities, I have bi-polar.

4. Agreed, if it was legalized and regulated by the government that would be one of the benefits.

Hope no one thinks worse of me for expressing my opinion.

Gorgol
06-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Three things: firstly, you're kinda going crazy with your recent posts, and you need to calm down. Secondly, did you not just copy and paste this from a post in the LoL GD? Thirdly, this is not a remotely acceptable place to discuss that topic.

I agree with this

DjiN
06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Can someone pls post a link to hex tcg forum?

Black_Omega
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
I agree with this

I second this. The motion passes :)

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Secondly, did you not just copy and paste this from a post in the LoL GD?
Lol nice catch.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 09:49 PM
1. I have very little fear of government regulations. I do have some but not much. I think the government should be able to stop cigarette companies from advertising for example and tax the shit out of companies that sell it. I say this even as a smoker. If we are to live in a society we need to adhere to a set of common rules and they should be enforced.

2. I'm not asexual but I have no interest in prostitutes of either sex. I think legalizing it and regulating is the way to go though. It's horrible that many are forced into prostitution as sex slaves in very rich countries that don't legalize it or regulate it. Some rich countries pretty much stamped it out by regulating it though.

3. This might seem like a contradiction to my stance on your first issue but it isn't. I try (fail alot of the time but I try) not to judge or control people, any people when I don't need to. Certain times it is necessary to judge someone for safety though and as I said in regards to issue one there must be a set of rules that we all are accountable to if we are to live together peacefully. As for the mentally retarded thing, if someone has diminished mental capabilities, a child included, I think it is morally right to look out for them even if that means telling them something is wrong. I say this as a person with diminished mental capabilities, I have bi-polar.

4. Agreed, if it was legalized and regulated by the government that would be one of the benefits.

Hope no one thinks worse of me for expressing my opinion.

Well, realize that mentally retarded persons get horny as well.

Its just a common sense issue about the burned or deformed, they are not attractive and hard to find a girlfriend, possibly never have the opportunity to have sex with an attractive women.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
One word: puritans. It's illegal because people deem it immoral, and want to force their views on those that consider it fine.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 09:54 PM
One word: puritans. It's illegal because people deem it immoral, and want to force their views on those that consider it fine.

It was legal when our founding fathers were around. It first became outlawed in the early 1900's during the same time as prohibition which failed miserably. And it had racist roots.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Well, realize that mentally retarded persons get horny as well. Its just a common sense issue about the burned or deformed, they are not attractive and hard to find a girlfriend, possibly never have the opportunity to have sex with an attractive women.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed. I didn't touch on that. I'm just saying that we should look out for them. If they have a need and they are conforming with the law (which I think should both allow prostitution and regulate it) than I don't see a problem. That said I imagine there would be some problems I'm not thinking of, which is one of the reasons but not the main reason I didn't touch it originally. The main reason I didn't say so originally is I didn't want to make a blanket statement that applied to a huge range of people.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Sorry, by puritans I meant people with very, very strict and narrow moral codes that wish those upon everyone. Perhaps puritans isn't the right word. >.<

Black_Omega
06-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Someone should put up a big sign that reads 'DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!'

:)

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 09:58 PM
It was legal when our founding fathers were around. It first became outlawed in the early 1900's during the same time as prohibition which failed miserably. And it had racist roots.

Prohibition worked fantastically in regards to its intended purpose. But seriously, you should stop bumping this thread or risk the wrath of the forum mods.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed. I didn't touch on that. I'm just saying that we should look out for them. If they have a need and they are conforming with the law (which I think should both allow prostitution and regulate it) than I don't see a problem. That said I imagine there would be some problems I'm not thinking of, which is one of the reasons but not the main reason I didn't touch it originally. The main reason I didn't say so originally is I didn't want to make a blanket statement that applied to a huge range of people.

Yeah, its sad that there is no legal avenue for them to peruse for them to fill this very real human need. So they need to become criminals and break the law and engage in risky sex with unregulated prostitutes. I am not saying all mentally disabled have trouble or want to follow this avenue. But obviously they might have trouble getting a girlfriend, which they also have very real adult needs for.

And anyone says thats not an excuse for prostitution, I challenge you to go a few years without touching another human being in intimacy.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Prohibition worked fantastically in regards to its intended purpose. But seriously, you should stop bumping this thread or risk the wrath of the forum mods.

Prohibition did not stop people from drinking, and organized crime was allowed to flourish because of it.

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Prohibition did not stop people from drinking, and organized crime was allowed to flourish because of it.

Prohibition stopped a lot of people from drinking, significantly reduced rates of alcoholism, and alcohol related deaths. It only ended due to the Great Depression and the need for increased revenue sources, as well as corporate pressure on the government. Contrary to popular belief, there was no great moral uprising of the people to restore the right of people to drink alcohol.

But I digress, you should let this thread die.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Prohibition stopped a lot of people from drinking, significantly reduced rates of alcoholism, and alcohol related deaths. It only ended due to the Great Depression and the need for increased revenue sources, as well as corporate pressure on the government. Contrary to popular belief, there was no great moral uprising of the people to restore the right of people to drink alcohol.

But I digress, you should let this thread die.

Well is commonly looked at as a failure so please provide source links for this.

Avedecus
06-06-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm not going to do your homework for you, but this article gives some specific stats to the info I gave you. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html There are similar articles outlining similar findings, and various historical biographies and texts that can be purchased detailing the era, the law, and all of its effects.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm not going to do your homework for you, but this article gives some specific stats to the info I gave you. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html There are similar articles outlining similar findings, and various historical biographies and texts that can be purchased detailing the era, the law, and all of its effects.

Limiting the freedoms of US by tyrannical government was not a success.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Limiting the freedoms of US by tyrannical government was not a success.

Isn't that a bit extreme? If we are going to call the US government of that era tyrannical than what do we call the government in North Korea? It's an insult to anyone who has suffered at the hands of extremely brutal and repressive governments. Sometimes I admire the right wing Americans and their desire to have limitless freedom and other times it just makes me sad that they can value an ideal over the reality of saving peoples lives.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Isn't that a bit extreme? If we are going to call the US government of that era tyrannical than what do we call the government in North Korea? It's an insult to anyone who has suffered at the hands of extremely brutal and repressive governments. Sometimes I admire the right wing Americans and their desire to have limitless freedom and other times it just makes me sad that they can value an ideal over the reality of saving peoples lives.

Saying I am not free to purchase alcohol is tyrannical.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Saying I am not free to purchase alcohol is tyrannical.

Out of curiosity I would like to know if you have the same views about harder drugs like heroin? Or guns?

Zanluo
06-06-2013, 10:58 PM
i think this topic is way off base for a TCG forum for a game. I would have to agree to Avedecus we should just let this topic die out. Please consider that before posting these type of topic in a TCG forum where kids may view your topic.

Ozmono
06-06-2013, 11:00 PM
i think this topic is way off base for a TCG forum for a game. I would have to agree to Avedecus we should just let this topic die out. Please consider that before posting these type of topic in a TCG forum where kids may view your topic.

Okay. I'll do my part now(last post in this thread), out of respect for those that find it offensive and asked nicely. Said my piece anyway.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Out of curiosity I would like to know if you have the same views about harder drugs like heroin? Or guns?

Well my view on heroin, if it was made legal tomorrow I would not go do heroin. I feel because of the war on drugs we are throwing non violent offenders in prison for a very long time, who are mixed with other violent offenders. What happened to let the punishment fit the crime? Does having a drug addiction warrant locking these men up in prison for so long? I say we should look to other countries like switzerland for the answer to heroine problem.

My view on gun violence. If someone is a licensed concealed weapons carrier, that means they are deemed legally responsible enough to carry a deadly firearm around public citizens, children included. If someone has earned this privileged, then they are more then qualified and responsible enough to carry these weapons in public schools. So teachers who have proven themselves worthy to get a concealed weapons permit should be allowed by common sense to carry at schools.

Let me ask this, when those punks brought assault rifles into the elementary schools, would you want a concealed weapons carry teacher armed for that situation or disarmed? I dont think any human being would say disarm, and if you do you need to take a serious look at your ideals.

As for the movie theater shootings, I am ashamed that no American in that theater exercised their rights to carry a concealed weapons permit. If they did that tragedy could have possibly been prevented. When someone attacks you with deadly force, you can either be a victim and disarmed, or a survivor and armed.

TheWrathofShane
06-06-2013, 11:55 PM

Please remember that I did posted a disclaimer on the thread topic, and would love to engage in an off topic discussion about politics with the Hex community.

Genocidal
06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Stop posting.

GallyX0
06-07-2013, 02:16 AM
I think a better tact to establishing an off topic forum is to instigate it being made in the top level of topic thread groupings, similar to how it is handled on other sites, such as team liquid. If this thread were solely about the need to have a place for off topic discussions, i would back it wholeheartedly. But this also ninja'ed in the discussion of a highly charged issue, which may or not be appropriate. Despite having a warning, since this is not a dedicated off topic area, with defined rules for post content and a warning about content before clicking in, i have to say this thread is not in the best interest of the community.

that said, i do support such an area because:
1. These issues will get discussed any way cause we are all people.
2. Large communities I have participated in actually benefit by expanding the scope of discussion away from the main game. If I love Hex and spend most of my time here, not having to hop away to another site in order to discuss an important non game issue that becomes topical due to events builds community (having a discussion of terrorism due to the Boston marathon bombing on a star craft site was good, since we were all there and were all friends, so a mature topic ensued.)

So, set it up, get it official, and then have at it!