PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Inquisitor + socket

Tinuvas
06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
So, one more of those fairly rare socket cards was previewed today and at first I was meh about it. 3/1 for 3 that's kind of hard to kill. Whatever, may fit a small role someday in some draft build I put together. Whatever.

Then I started examining the sockets, and found a real gem (you see what I did there?). One of the major diamond gems has the 'gain life equal to it's cost' ability. While it won't win any games by itself, the fact that the Inquisitor actually goes up in cost the more you cast it could have a subtle, neat, synergistic match with diamond. I don't see it hitting staple constructed, but some blood/diamond or even just splashed diamond draft decks could see this guy dropping, dying to X, and coming back to haunt you while making more life for it's owner over and over and over.

These socket cards have some serious potential if the right ideas are applied...

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Protip: this guy is constructed playable off its own back. A 3/1 with free recursion and a socket is card advantage and on-curve. I'd be surprised if it didn't squeeze its way into a competitive deck or two, though we do still have a lot of cards left to spoil.

As for the socket, sure, the lifegain one is nice. Let's look at the options though:

Wild: perm +1/+1 when it attacks is handy, though imo inferior to rage 2 as it's unlikely you're going to lift that toughness to a worthy height. The battle-another-target-troop effect could turn it into a removal card that doesn't cost you a card - and that is sexy - but it would be limited to removing creatures with 3 or less defense, and would get expensive quickly.
Blood: the trigger turns it into a little burn spell, but doesn't do a whole lot. Rage 2, however, is fantastic. If it doesn't get removed before you can attack at least once each time you cast it, it'll always have on-curve power.
Ruby: the land-destruction-on-damage is nice, but with only 1 toughness you'll probably never get to connect with it (at least not for a low cost anyway). The +1/+0 and swift strike, though, is tantalizing. It makes Warlock have above curve power when you first cast it, and makes it very awkward in combat - 4 damage swift strike is pretty hefty.
Diamond: the life gain is ok, but offers no card advantage, but because of the replayability you could put this in some sort of blood-diamond lifegain deck. The defense bonus on a 1 defense creature is pretty meh.
Sapphire: a card draw on a recursive creature is AWESOME. You'd play a 3 mana 3/1 that drew a card even if it didn't go back to your hand when it dies - but it does! So sexy. The -attack ability also has control applications, -3 attack is usually going to be decent.

Ultimately, I feel blood, ruby and sapphire offer the best support for the Warlock. Rage 2 makes it very likely that its power will stay on curve, which is important as the cost rises. +1/+0 and swift strike makes it a strong creature in combat against many others, and will be very good for the first 2 times you cast it. Drawing a card when it enters is fantastic for a control deck.

larryhl
06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Sure the burn for 3 using Major Blood is meh, but remember each time Warlock Inquisitor "deals damage to an opposing champion" you get to reanimate one of the troops in that person's graveyard as long as its cost is less than Inquisitor's. That isn't just combat damage. And each time Inquisitor comes back from your hand, sure, the burn for 3 costs more each time, but guess what? You can target higher cost troops. After a while, your opponent no longer knows whether he should block the guy or not. And I love it when the defending player is put in a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" position.

mmimzie
06-06-2013, 11:46 PM
I like the card, rage just makes it very happy. swiftness is nice and so is the draw; i wouldn't try anything else on him. Hwoever he does like judgement (http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Judgement_Gear_Web.png) from Diamond. continuing to grow nice and face from rage and his cost getting bigger, he's ready to lay down judgement on everybody.

Edit: equipment is only usable in PVE so that damage to champ is really good, but only in a PVE situation.

TheDiv
06-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Great points Larry but I think these guys are talking about it in a PvP world. Us PvE'ers will surely find some good use that piece of gear but it's not useful to PvPers at all xD

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Sure the burn for 3 using Major Blood is meh, but remember each time Warlock Inquisitor "deals damage to an opposing champion" you get to reanimate one of the troops in that person's graveyard as long as its cost is less than Inquisitor's. That isn't just combat damage. And each time Inquisitor comes back from your hand, sure, the burn for 3 costs more each time, but guess what? You can target higher cost troops. After a while, your opponent no longer knows whether he should block the guy or not. And I love it when the defending player is put in a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" position.
That's just for PvE though. I was reviewing it from a PvP perspective (I felt like I carried that tone in my message, but apologies if I didn't). In PvE the damage-on-entry with the legendary headpiece is very awesome.

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 11:54 PM
In any case, turn 2 Blood Harbinger into turn 3 Warlock Inquisitor has potential in PvP - and what's even cooler is that they could potentially go in an aggressive deck or a control deck, given that they're both on-or-above curve in power, and provide potential card advantage.

Grissnap
06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Yeah I liked the diamond gem okay, I was thinking about a Blood/Diamond Deck (see blog) and this guy would actually be really useful in that.

But as I have still yet to wrap my head around Hex mechanics I tend to forget that Rage is permanet. So as long as you can attack with it, its now a 5/1 or 7/1 or whatever, depending how many times you get an attack off before it dies. Rage wins in my book.

larryhl
06-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Ah yeah...PvP. In that case I much prefer Rage 2 as jax mentioned. It keeps his attack on curve as long as you manage to attack with him just once. Even if he doesn't get to attack, that means your opponent used removal on him, and that's still a good thing.

KnowingCrow
06-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Edit: Disregard.

nekoangel
06-07-2013, 01:04 AM
the best socket is clearly draw a card, sheer card advantage just works all round and means that every time they kill it they loose tempo.

i do like the other sockets but drawing cards is always good =)

shocker455
06-07-2013, 01:22 AM
The on draw ability is of course great.

Im currently interested in using the +1/+1 when exhausted gem. Using an ability that gets charged by exhausting an troop. (or worst case one of the artifacts). Since the stat boost stays you dont have to worry about all your time being wasted from removal. If that stats get high, it would even be useful a 3rd time as a 7 cost. Of course this requires a the combo to hit, so competitively might not be good, but still fun to make!

Do major gems add 2 thresholds to the card? If so it really messes with its cost of 3. (i know you can still play the unit if you dont meet the gem threshold)

The minor gem of -1 cost isn't out of the picture either. Would make it much easier to use multiple times.

Grissnap
06-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Gems don't add to threshold requirements, but you need to have one threshold of the same gem type in order for the ability to activate. So if you are a blood/diamond deck and put sapphire gems in your card, you can still play the card but you won't gain the ability.