PDA

View Full Version : Hex Academy Guild Idea

Beastmaster
06-07-2013, 12:42 AM
I think it would be cool if Crypto created a 'Newbie' PvP Guild module in addition to the PvE 'tutorial' dungeons for players that decide that they want to try out PvP.

I propose that they can join as 'students' for a period of 1-2 months but people can rejoin as mentors or guild recruiters after graduation.

Students will be given access to all starter decks to decide on which color they like best and also more advanced decks to try out some real battles against fellow students and any willing mentors.

Guilds can have recruiters spend time at the Academy to meet new players and recruit them or just get their name out there.

At the conclusion of the semester (1-2 months) there is a tournament for ranking only allowing the serious guilds to offer entry to any of the promising players.

Players get a chance to try building decks with temporary access to all commons and half the uncommon as well as 1 or 2 rares for each color - allowing them to experience true deck building where you pick a strategy and play with play-sets etc rather than just adding any rares that you find in PvE to your deck and taking out the crappier starter cards in exchange.

- I have experienced this in both scrolls and Infinity Wars - its just not real deck building and almost enough to put me off those games entirely - lets not lose any Hex players who may form this opinion of Hex because they didn't get a chance to experience deck-building before having to decide whether to commit money to PvP to build a proper deck.

Ozmono
06-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Good idea. The community could probably handle it though I see no need for Crypto to do it themselves. Get a pro tcg player onboard and you really have something. Infact, come to think of it maybe we could make a pool where we as a community make it worth their while. A couple bucks from alot of us would be enticing for them to teach no?

Beastmaster
06-07-2013, 12:54 AM
I will readily concede that the community is awesome so far and *could* handle it but I think it would be in Crypto's best interest to facilitate it in some way and ensure a consistant experience for new players. - otherwise what happens to people who join when a tournament is just on its way and all the pro's are busy prepping, or new content and all the PvE guilds are busy racing to complete it first.

I get the feeling that the Pro's who are good at explaining concepts to Newbies will likely prefer to do so on external sites where they get wide ranging recognition for their articles etc. The thing is that with Hex being digital, the best way to teach is by playing or designing tutorials - one new player have covered the tutorials, they will need to learn by playing against real people.

Hex could make it attractive for people to help in a number of ways - the easiest probably is to make guilds competitive and have the larger ones spend time helping new players to get them to join and make their guild better but there are other ways too - like special matches with less life for the teacher, matches where the student and teacher swap decks each round etc - with achievements for the teachers.

I just like the Academy Idea because its kinda funny to have a meat market of new players and it 'forces' them straight into the community rather than letting them lurk too long and possibly quit if they have problems that they cant work out..

Ozmono
06-07-2013, 01:01 AM
I will readily concede that the community is awesome so far and *could* handle it but I think it would be in Crypto's best interest to facilitate it in some way and ensure a consistant experience for new players. - otherwise what happens to people who join when a tournament is just on its way and all the pro's are busy prepping, or new content and all the PvE guilds are busy racing to complete it first.

I get the feeling that the Pro's who are good at explaining concepts to Newbies will likely prefer to do so on external sites where they get wide ranging recognition for their articles etc. The thing is that with Hex being digital, the best way to teach is by playing or designing tutorials - one new player have covered the tutorials, they will need to learn by playing against real people.

Hex could make it attractive for people to help in a number of ways - the easiest probably is to make guilds competitive and have the larger ones spend time helping new players to get them to join and make their guild better but there are other ways too - like special matches with less life for the teacher, matches where the student and teacher swap decks each round etc - with achievements for the teachers.

I just like the Academy Idea because its kinda funny to have a meat market of new players and it 'forces' them straight into the community rather than letting them lurk too long and possibly quit if they have problems that they cant work out..
That's sound reasoning and you've convinced me but if the community isn't handling it than convincing me doesn't mean much :)
Good idea regardless.

FJ_JJ
06-07-2013, 01:17 AM
As a newbie, I like this idea.

Beastmaster
06-07-2013, 01:23 AM
That's sound reasoning and you've convinced me but if the community isn't handling it than convincing me doesn't mean much :)
Good idea regardless.

Thanks - Crypto have said quite a few times recently that they are reading the forums and have seen many good ideas. I guess if people like this idea and say so, they might look at implementing it in some way..

Keznath
06-07-2013, 01:24 AM
and those newbies who will finish in the last rank of the tournament, will be without any Guild ?...or will stay at the academy longer ?

Beastmaster
06-07-2013, 01:50 AM
and those newbies who will finish in the last rank of the tournament, will be without any Guild ?...or will stay at the academy longer ?

There will be lots of guilds, with a lot of different focuses and I would assume that those guilds would make an effort to have a presence there also especially if there is a benefit in PvE to having a larger guild. In PvE it will likely not matter how skilled you are as you will still increase guild prestige / be cannon fodder in guild battles.

The idea with the tournament is really meant to be for top guilds to be able to tempt better players to join them but throughout the whole experience you will be exposed to guild representatives and players that like to teach new players - there would certainly be no rule against joining a guild with anyone you met and got along with regardless of your placement in the tournament

- for most of us it would be just a bit of fun, i personally would not expect to win - then again, a really good mtg player who joins is likely to skip the academy and apply directly to a PvP guild so the competition might not be that fierce..